Server time: 2017-08-23, 17:46

Sign in to follow this  
Equil

Disconnecting / combat logging

Question

Equil    0

Greetings,

Potentially another round of questions before we summit our white list applications.

Been reading reports about combat logging, and I have noticed you guys do not take kindly to them, which is understandable, and much apprenticed. As a bandit we get a tad upset when it happens to us, however, where do you stand on disconnects? Being as when we get together we tend to suffer from disconnecting issues that stem from 10 people sharing one internet connection. Rarely if ever have we all disconnected at the same time, so we will be able to inform the individuals that we are RP'ing with that they will be back shortly.

Though, in terms of reports it is up the person if they wish to pursue them, and I have also noticed that some seem to have a black and white view of the rules and are willing to report any infraction even if another offers their apologizes. Which is fine rules are rules, but I was wondering how does the admins go about handling issues such as these.

Also, one of our members has a kid, so out of habit they just log out when he hears his kid crying or whatnot. Since he never knows when he will be back. In short, say if he robbed someone and in the middle of rp'ing it out, his kid cries. Does not offer an RP reason just says he has to go bye or maybe gives the RP reason you are free to go, and just logs off. Would that be considered combat logging because you could consider that avoiding player interaction.

Or same chase but the roles switched, he is being robbed, and has to go, tells them he has to go, and logs. If he later explains what happens would that be taken into consideration, or if that were the case in terms of getting robbed, should he just go handle his stuff, leave his character logged in and let the robbers have their way with him so to speak?

Thanks.

19 answers to this question

Burgz    6

The best thing to do in such a dire situation would be to run for as long as you can as far away as you can, if it only equates to around 2 minutes then find a desolate location and go AFK in a tree, however always use that as a last resort.

You would be surprised how accepting people are on the community, if you just write, //i really have to go for 5 minutes, most people would wait until you got back, i know this from personal experience. I hope i helped :D

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

I'm going to answer your question on your friends kid, I think the best way to go about it is for him to be friendly not a bandit, being a bandit takes up a lot of time as you have to know every single rule in the back of your head and also he can't just disconnect there and then. It will ruin others RP. If your friend is robbing someone then he just logs out, then the victims are just going to be like, what the f*ck. So this would be considered avoiding player interaction and would go under combat logging. If you are with people then logging off right in front of them is terrible RP and combat logging. You should only log off when you know you are safe and no one is following you.

The admins handle these reports just like any other report really, obviously if the player apologizes then that is good, but the player still needs to be punished for his actions so they will learn from it, this is a good thing in a way.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me!

Bush    10

I would recommend running into the middle of the woods and go afk, majority of the people won't intiate/kill (on) a guy who is clearly AFK in the middle of the woods. It should be no problem if someone disconnect and logs in ASAP.

Some people are pretty black and white on the rules, and they will report you for the smallest rule break, but admins usually doesn't punish people if they disconnected for a legit reason(arma crashes/a player loses connection). However the Admins/GMs usually punish people who leaves for personal reasons, (Your friends kid for example) since they can't control what happens outside the game.

Equil    0

The best thing to do in such a dire situation would be to run for as long as you can as far away as you can, if it only equates to around 2 minutes then find a desolate location and go AFK in a tree, however always use that as a last resort.

You would be surprised how accepting people are on the community, if you just write, //i really have to go for 5 minutes, most people would wait until you got back, i know this from personal experience. I hope i helped :D

I get where you are coming from with this, but he is not the type of person to put a time frame when it comes to his kid, if he is crying, he drops everything and sometimes does not comeback, which we have grown to expect and understand. So it is unlikely he will be gone for 5 min, nor is he the type to the commit to such a time frame.

Though the time frame is something we would give when someone drops out, while we are in a group.

I'm going to answer your question on your friends kid, I think the best way to go about it is for him to be friendly not a bandit, being a bandit takes up a lot of time as you have to know every single rule in the back of your head and also he can't just disconnect there and then. It will ruin others RP. If your friend is robbing someone then he just logs out, then the victims are just going to be like, what the f*ck. So this would be considered avoiding player interaction and would go under combat logging. If you are with people then logging off right in front of them is terrible RP and combat logging. You should only log off when you know you are safe and no one is following you.

The admins handle these reports just like any other report really, obviously if the player apologizes then that is good, but the player still needs to be punished for his actions so they will learn from it, this is a good thing in a way.

I understand that, but if the action is out of their control just as personal issues that arise what issue would the person need to be punished for? I get where the rules are coming from, but reading the reports regarding the issue of leaving for personal reasons, they seem to remove the human element, which is concerning, since things do happen. I do get that people need to learn from their actions, but in the case of my friend, what really can he learn from being punished?

With that being said I understand rules are rules, and as such you have standards that you wish to maintain, which is admirable. I do have to ask would people in the community really view such a case as. "Well F his kid, he ruined my experience by logging out." "Or does not matter rule breaker, report etc..."

Please understand like with the other tread I am trying to covey the concerns of very different players within our group since we hope to be able to get in together and form our own clan within the game just the 10 of us, as such we plan to play as bandits since that has always been our thing. We understand that will take some time to gain a full understanding to the rule set, we just want to avoid getting banned or reported for things that are really out of our control. I would hate to see him get banned because one night he wanted to play and his kid started to cry in the middle of a play session.

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

I get where you are coming from with this, but he is not the type of person to put a time frame when it comes to his kid, if he is crying, he drops everything and sometimes does not comeback, which we have grown to expect and understand. So it is unlikely he will be gone for 5 min, nor is he the type to the commit to such a time frame.

Though the time frame is something we would give when someone drops out, while we are in a group.

I understand that, but if the action is out of their control just as personal issues that arise what issue would the person need to be punished for? I get where the rules are coming from, but reading the reports regarding the issue of leaving for personal reasons, they seem to remove the human element, which is concerning, since things do happen.

With that being said I understand rules are rules, and as such you have standards that you wish to maintain, which is admirable. I do have to ask would people in the community really view such a case as. "Well F his kid, he ruined my experience by logging out." "Or does not matter rule breaker, report etc..."

Please understand like with the other tread I am trying to covey the concerns of very different players within our group since we hope to be able to get in together and form our own clan within the game just the 10 of us.

We plan to be bandits, and as such it would be odd to have a friend that is considered a friendly. Once again I understand they cannot take into account what happens outside the game, but I have to ask have they always tried to maintain this pedsuo legal system. Sorry I may have read into too much, but the legit reason common sort of struck a nerve with me, did not mean to offend or come off as rude.

DayZRP doesn't take away personal reasons to stop playing quickly, because I understand that he has a kid and such, but I suggest if you are in a group and you're planning to be bandits, you could put him as overwatch and if he needs to go AFK for a minute then so be it. Only issue is, you are not allowed to just log out in the middle of a robbery or RP. Admittedly a lot of people will understand and they'd wait for him to come back and carry on the RP. I wouldn't say people would be like "fuck this guy", but they'd just be like what the f*ck if you just logged out when in a hostage situation without even letting them know what is going on. The DayZRP community is very patient and I'm sure the majority of people would understand, it just breaks the immersion a little if he just went OOC when role playing. I'd also like to say many people would have different views on this, this is just from my aspect.

Nihoolious    1122

The majority of players in this community will look past certain rule breaks and possibly even break some themselves for the RP experience. Sure, having your kid scream his head off during a firefight or interrogation can ruin the RP immersion a bit, but what can you do.

I say make the applications and see how it plays out in game. If it means you have to change your playstyle to accommodate real life, so be it. Gotta take risks every now and then.

Ill give you my POV:

If you disconnect due to IP issues, logs will usually show a time out, or someone will see 'losing connection'. Rarely an issue. But if it happens very frequently and during situations that require the player to be online and you are at a disadvantage, we are going to start looking very closely.

If someone has to disconnect for IRL reasons..just say //OOC (whatever reason is). Again..if it happens frequently when you are at a disadvantage I.e. being robbed, or in combat, we will look into further.

I am not saying things dont happen...they do. Your best bet though, if you have time to play, make sure you have time to play out the consequences of your in game actions.

Also AFKing alone anywhere, is a bad idea. AFK with someone so they can tell people you are AFK. If I walk in on people AFK..I will communicate, I will give time to respond, and if I do not recieve a response after a considerable time, I will initiate and I will fire for noncompliance. Going AFK does not remove your character from the game, nor does it remove the consequences of you being in game. If you need to step away, log to the lobby.

If you or friend rob someone, and during that you have to leave, and you release your target, they recieve KOS rights on you for 2 hours, doesnt matter what reason you have to leave, it will be classifed as a combat log. Again, things happen in RL beyond our control and it may be excused a couple of times, but if it keeps happening, people will report and staff will hand out punishment.

Again, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Same goes here. Your actions in game have consquences. Rules are in place to make the game fair and consistent for everyone. If you rob someone and take their gear and have to leave, be prepared for a report because I know I will want my revenge rights. I am sure others will want them to.

Equil    0

Ill give you my POV:

If you disconnect due to IP issues, logs will usually show a time out, or someone will see 'losing connection'. Rarely an issue. But if it happens very frequently and during situations that require the player to be online and you are at a disadvantage, we are going to start looking very closely.

If someone has to disconnect for IRL reasons..just say //OOC (whatever reason is). Again..if it happens frequently when you are at a disadvantage I.e. being robbed, or in combat, we will look into further.

I am not saying things dont happen...they do. Your best bet though, if you have time to play, make sure you have time to play out the consequences of your in game actions.

Also AFKing alone anywhere, is a bad idea. AFK with someone so they can tell people you are AFK. If I walk in on people AFK..I will communicate, I will give time to respond, and if I do not recieve a response after a considerable time, I will initiate and I will fire for noncompliance. Going AFK does not remove your character from the game, nor does it remove the consequences of you being in game. If you need to step away, log to the lobby.

If you or friend rob someone, and during that you have to leave, and you release your target, they recieve KOS rights on you for 2 hours, doesnt matter what reason you have to leave, it will be classifed as a combat log. Again, things happen in RL beyond our control and it may be excused a couple of times, but if it keeps happening, people will report and staff will hand out punishment.

Again, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Same goes here. Your actions in game have consquences. Rules are in place to make the game fair and consistent for everyone. If you rob someone and take their gear and have to leave, be prepared for a report because I know I will want my revenge rights. I am sure others will want them to.

Being as I highly doubt he will play solo much, I do not foresee this becoming an issue in that sense, but I have seen cases where logging due to personal reasons resulted in 15 points, and if I recall you only need 30 to get permanently banned correct?

So to make sure I understand, if we are in a group of 10, and he happens to be part of the squad that handles the interactions / negotiations with the players and has to leave, if the rest of the group is still present would it be okay if he just logged out? I would leave him as an overwatch, but he could not hit parked car to save his life within ARMA. So that would not be much of an issue righr, being as the group itself is still around just minus one person so you would still have your revenge rights. Or would some still consider that combat logging and embedding on their experience and thus report him for said action?

To be fair the don't to the crime if you cannot do the time, is an overused cliche that is sort of silly in this context since I mean come on we are talking taking care of something happens abruptly. That is neither here nor there though. Just a shit happens moment, if it results in a ban, but being as you said if it does not happen often in terms of being at a disadvantage I do not think we will have much of a problem.

Also revenge rights, since that topic came up. I wanted to clear something up with that.

Say Group A robs group B, group B comply's group A lets group B free after taking some gear. Group B gains revenge rights, does that mean they also gain KOS rights if they ID the group, and if so does group A also get the same rights or will group A be forced to wait for group B to fire on them to gain the right to fire back?

If that is the case, could group A, keep tabs on group B just to be safe?

Last one revenge rights do they last the 2 hours while the group is logged in, or could group A just hang around for 15 min, log off then come back 2 hours later? Dick move, would not consider doing it, but just wondering is that how it works?

Since at the time of this post I cannot seem to double check the dayz wiki for an expanding rule set.

Nihoolious    1122

If he was talking with a group you were planning to rob, it is not combat logging as long as he does it before hostilities are made (DROP YOUR WEAPONS blah blah blah), unless its an emergency and he can just say "//my kid just puked on my cat, brb" and the other players should be fine with it.

As for revenge and KoS rights:

After Group A robs Group B and the people in B escape or are released, they have KoS rights for 2 hours or until the next restart. After said time/restart, they can still rob Group A if they see them again.

Its good that you decided to ask the community on how things work, wise thinking on your part.

Equil    0

If he was talking with a group you were planning to rob, it is not combat logging as long as he does it before hostilities are made (DROP YOUR WEAPONS blah blah blah), unless its an emergency and he can just say "//my kid just puked on my cat, brb" and the other players should be fine with it.

As for revenge and KoS rights:

After Group A robs Group B and the people in B escape or are released, they have KoS rights for 2 hours or until the next restart. After said time/restart, they can still rob Group A if they see them again.

Its good that you decided to ask the community on how things work, wise thinking on your part.

Wait, so if group A lets group B live, and say we just take their weapons, and radio, in theory they could use VoiP of some kind to tell their clan where group B went, since revenge rights carry over to the whole clan right, they could just open fire on us, and even if group A sees them we have to wait until they open fire on us to fight back?

That seems rather silly if I am understanding that correctly, and if that is really the case why would any bandit let someone live, or leave them in a reasonable state after the encounter, rules aside. Since going based off the reports people like to bring the outside the game card or if you yourself were in that situation. In a sense isn't letting a group live and giving them revenge rights or an easier time to gather up and make a counter attack, not caring for your own characters life, since you are allowing a group that potential will hunt you down live?

And say if he has to leave after the hostile actions but the rest of us stay, would someone really report one person in the group for 'combat logging' even if the rest of the group sticks around?

Wait, so if group A lets group B live, and say we just take their weapons, and radio, in theory they could use VoiP of some kind to tell their clan where group B went, since revenge rights carry over to the whole clan right, they could just open fire on us, and even if group A sees them we have to wait until they open fire on us to fight back?

That seems rather silly if I am understanding that correctly, and if that is really the case why would any bandit let someone live, or leave them in a reasonable state after the encounter, rules aside. Since going based off the reports people like to bring the outside the game card or if you yourself were in that situation. In a sense isn't letting a group live and giving them revenge rights or an easier time to gather up and make a counter attack, not caring for your own characters life, since you are allowing a group that potential will hunt you down live?

And say if he has to leave after the hostile actions but the rest of us stay, would someone really report one person in the group for 'combat logging' even if the rest of the group sticks around?

Group A is not allowed to use any VOIP software once radios are taken from all of the victims (Bear in mind if they have one person that was viewing it and not a victim he can use VOIP). If this is proven that they used VOIp with no radio then they are liable and guilty for metagaming.

They would need to reclaim a radio or act for themselves if they find a weapon and can identify you as the culprits.

Overall the answer to your remark of it being silly is a matter of: Role Play. Otherwise player interaction would never happen. Robberies would lead to an execution every time.

Again this goes back to what Thumper said in a broader context:

"If you take any actions you must look at the consequences and deal with your decisions"

If you rob, you will have to deal with revenge rights. You can follow your victims to try feel more secure but you also put yourself more at risk. They can act their KoS rights on you but you will only be able to defend yourself. You can not proactively kill them to prevent them shooting you as that goes against role play.

For your latter question that greatly depends on the circumstances.

Lets make an example:

Your group robs someone for a valuable piece of gear, a high powered rifle for example. The victims's clan wants it back and as such hunts you down to enact their rights. If the guy with it logs off, for whatever reason, that will be a breach and it will be down to that person to justify them logging off. However, most people wouldn't focus on gear so much. You just need to make it as fair as you can for everyone involved.

Similar situation happened when my SUV was stolen and I was hunting for it for a significant period of time only to find 75% of the robbers had logged off. Meaning that my vehicle was more likely to be hidden somewhere instead of being used. However, I still have a chance to find it, just a smaller one which is why I wasn't too bothered.

Last one revenge rights do they last the 2 hours while the group is logged in, or could group A just hang around for 15 min, log off then come back 2 hours later? Dick move, would not consider doing it, but just wondering is that how it works?

Dick move. If they do do it I would argue that it constitutes combat logging. If they did log back on after the allotted two hours had passed, yes that should be punishable if proven.

One person doing it due to understandable reasons? Yeah people wouldn't care too much but if everyone logged off then that would raise eyebrows.

Also please bear in mind that only clans can share KoS rights universally (e.g. TS). A small group of guys playing together but not in a clan will need to witness the details first hand and be in immediate contact.

Equil    0

Group A is not allowed to use any VOIP software once radios are taken from all of the victims (Bear in mind if they have one person that was viewing it and not a victim he can use VOIP). If this is proven that they used VOIp with no radio then they are liable and guilty for metagaming.

They would need to reclaim a radio or act for themselves if they find a weapon and can identify you as the culprits.

Overall the answer to your remark of it being silly is a matter of: Role Play. Otherwise player interaction would never happen. Robberies would lead to an execution every time.

Again this goes back to what Thumper said in a broader context:

"If you take any actions you must look at the consequences and deal with your decisions"

If you rob, you will have to deal with revenge rights. You can follow your victims to try feel more secure but you also put yourself more at risk. They can act their KoS rights on you but you will only be able to defend yourself. You can not proactively kill them to prevent them shooting you as that goes against role play.

For your latter question that greatly depends on the circumstances.

Lets make an example:

Your group robs someone for a valuable piece of gear, a high powered rifle for example. The victims's clan wants it back and as such hunts you down to enact their rights. If the guy with it logs off, for whatever reason, that will be a breach and it will be down to that person to justify them logging off. However, most people wouldn't focus on gear so much. You just need to make it as fair as you can for everyone involved.

Similar situation happened when my SUV was stolen and I was hunting for it for a significant period of time only to find 75% of the robbers had logged off. Meaning that my vehicle was more likely to be hidden somewhere instead of being used. However, I still have a chance to find it, just a smaller one which is why I wasn't too bothered.

How would you even go about proving they use VoIP? That would end up being a word vs word, so say I wanted to report them, no amount of data logs would be able to prove the use of outside VoIP. If they were to get ban strikes for that under the supposition of meta gaming, that would sort of bite don't you think you?

I get the RP thing I do, but how is it killing off would be treats does not fall under Lack of a value for Life. Since I have seen people get ban strikes for attacking a group of robbers solo. Granted from the looks of the report at times the RP was bad, but still Lack of a value for Life did come into play within the verdict.

Would be nice to clear that up, I could get reported for Lack of a value for Life, if I personally risk my own life fending off attackers that one could resonantly assume I stood no chance in defeating. Though I cannot use that in defense when it comes to killing a group of that has the potential to cause me harm in the near future?

Just trying to understand the rules.

Dick move. If they do do it I would argue that it constitutes combat logging. If they did log back on after the allotted two hours had passed, yes that should be punishable if proven.

One person doing it due to understandable reasons? Yeah people wouldn't care too much but if everyone logged off then that would raise eyebrows.

Also please bear in mind that only clans can share KoS rights universally (e.g. TS). A small group of guys playing together but not in a clan will need to witness the details first hand and be in immediate contact.

Granted it is a dick move, but if it could be punishable, why is not not mentioned in the rules? From my understanding you are safe to log out after 15-20 min. Just seems while certain things are black and white, others are rather vague. Does not help I cannot view the wiki for the extended rules at the moment.

How would you even go about proving they use VoIP? That would end up being a word vs word, so say I wanted to report them, no amount of data logs would be able to prove the use of outside VoIP. If they were to get ban strikes for that under the supposition of meta gaming, that would sort of bite don't you think you?

There have been cases in the past where people gained KoS rights through metagaming and were punished.

Lets take another example:

Group A robs Group B. Everyone in Group B has had radios taken away. Group A finishes their business and leaves to immediately come under fire from another direction.

How had this person gained KoS rights to fire on that group? They put in a discussion and find out that his mates tell him they had been robbed via VOIP. Metagiaming.

Report discussions are used for some of these cases where people have been suspected to be playing against the rules. Its difficult but possible.

I get the RP thing I do, but how is it killing off would be treats does not fall under Lack of a value for Life. Since I have seen people get ban strikes for attacking a group of robbers solo. Granted from the looks of the report at times the RP was bad, but still Lack of a value for Life did come into play within the verdict.

Would be nice to clear that up, I could get reported for Lack of a value for Life, if I personally risk my own life fending off attackers that one could resonantly assume I stood no chance in defeating. Though I cannot use that in defense when it comes to killing a group of that has the potential to cause me harm in the near future?

Define threat? A person that you robbed? Nope, killing a victim who is complying fully would constitute random death matching. The only case against that would be if you have a long standing grievance and have a particular reason to execute that person but that is up to you and the relevance of the act.

You cannot execute them to prevent future repercussions.

Personally, there are ways to attack people you have no way of defeating. Just get one of them and get out. There is no particular reason to get yourself killed and some may see it as having no value for life. If you run into the group and spray, yes it would look that way but if you tactically attacked them to try get the upper hand and died fighting, then no. You had a value for life.

Its confusing but just think through how your character would do things and play like you want to keep alive. That prevents the issues usually.

Granted it is a dick move, but if it could be punishable, why is not not mentioned in the rules? From my understanding you are safe to log out after 15-20 min. Just seems while certain things are black and white, others are rather vague. Does not help I cannot view the wiki for the extended rules at the moment.

The rules were revised to be more open. Specific mentions are difficult but many of the GM team would look at all of the points and work out what is relevant.

Just aim to play fair and you should not have an issue. If somebody does it against you then speak to a GM or a staff member and have a chat about it.

Equil    0

There have been cases in the past where people gained KoS rights through metagaming and were punished.

Lets take another example:

Group A robs Group B. Everyone in Group B has had radios taken away. Group A finishes their business and leaves to immediately come under fire from another direction.

How had this person gained KoS rights to fire on that group? They put in a discussion and find out that his mates tell him they had been robbed via VOIP. Metagiaming.

Report discussions are used for some of these cases where people have been suspected to be playing against the rules. Its difficult but possible.

Define threat? A person that you robbed? Nope, killing a victim who is complying fully would constitute random death matching. The only case against that would be if you have a long standing grievance and have a particular reason to execute that person but that is up to you and the relevance of the act.

You cannot execute them to prevent future repercussions.

Personally, there are ways to attack people you have no way of defeating. Just get one of them and get out. There is no particular reason to get yourself killed and some may see it as having no value for life. If you run into the group and spray, yes it would look that way but if you tactically attacked them to try get the upper hand and died fighting, then no. You had a value for life.

Its confusing but just think through how your character would do things and play like you want to keep alive. That prevents the issues usually.

The rules were revised to be more open. Specific mentions are difficult but many of the GM team would look at all of the points and work out what is relevant.

Just aim to play fair and you should not have an issue. If somebody does it against you then speak to a GM or a staff member and have a chat about it.

For the Meta gaming, that is pretty silly to attack right after, I mean I figured if someone was going to call for backup, using VOIP after they were robbed. They could have one shadow to the best of their ability. Wait maybe 10 or so min, thus providing their clan enough time to group up for the attack. At that point it would be really hard to prove meta took place. Granted the events would look fishy, but without hard proof I do not think they would cast judgment. Going based off "most" of the reports they generally tend to follow the notion of grounded proof.

I would define a threat as anything or anyone that could be regarded as a possible danger to myself or my clan, and as such goes to further making things complicated for me. Since you said "play like you want to keep alive" as such going with that mindset it would be in my best interest to not take the risk after robbing someone if you know they are part of a clan or something. Rather be safe then sorry I guess. Once again I do understand the RP standpoint, but what confuses me is that in other areas Dayzrp strives for realism, avoiding rambo type characters, perfect soldiers, chuck norris types etc... which is interesting , but when you take the value of life into account when it comes to yourself and your clans men. I just do not get why at that point I have to suspend the value of my life for revenge rights.

I know rules are rules hehe, but was hopping for a tad more grounded answer that does not come back to it simply being a rule. Since to me it sort of feels like a plot hole for lack of better words.

Our group is fully willing to adhere to the rules.

Quite true. There has been some concessions to better reflect game play and to impart some fairness for everyone involved. Believe me when I say these have been iterated upon a number of times so they are tried and tested.

There a few niggles still but frankly they are minor. APART FROM CLAN SKINS! *cough cough*

Honestly, the best way to learn them is to play the game. Don't dive into being a bandit immediately try to play a variety of roles first so you know where things stand and have some experience under your belt.

Or just play safe. :)

Guest Vespah   
Guest Vespah

Quite true. There has been some concessions to better reflect game play and to impart some fairness for everyone involved. Believe me when I say these have been iterated upon a number of times so they are tried and tested.

There a few niggles still but frankly they are minor. APART FROM CLAN SKINS! *cough cough*

Honestly, the best way to learn them is to play the game. Don't dive into being a bandit immediately try to play a variety of roles first so you know where things stand and have some experience under your belt.

What SumoS says is true. As SumoS is God here.

Equil, the situations you are describing are very specific and probably wont play out in the way you are describing them. You can never predict a situation. Think of a situation as a big tree. You can be presented with a situation, and you can respond to that situation in many different ways. You can choose the Hostile route, which leads to more routes. You can choose the passive route, which leads to more routes. And that is what the roleplay aspect is all about.

Its about presenting a unique experience all of the time. Everything is implemented to provide a different experience everytime. The smallest things influence the game. New clans rise, hostiles clans. People hear about hostile clans and then stay away from those areas. Settlements get implemented. That changes the way the roleplay in the game works. Everyone goes to settlements, giving clans opportunities to rob the settlements. Another clan defends the settlements causing tension between clans and the alliances of clans.

^ I know this is pretty philosophical but you know what I am getting at. :P

Guest Vespah   
Guest Vespah

post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

Well said Vespah all your points are excellent ways of looking at it.

That Gif just made me feel 100% more better than those kinds words <3

Equil    0

Equil, the situations you are describing are very specific and probably wont play out in the way you are describing them. You can never predict a situation. Think of a situation as a big tree. You can be presented with a situation, and you can respond to that situation in many different ways. You can choose the Hostile route, which leads to more routes. You can choose the passive route, which leads to more routes. And that is what the roleplay aspect is all about.

Its about presenting a unique experience all of the time. Everything is implemented to provide a different experience everytime. The smallest things influence the game. New clans rise, hostiles clans. People hear about hostile clans and then stay away from those areas. Settlements get implemented. That changes the way the roleplay in the game works. Everyone goes to settlements, giving clans opportunities to rob the settlements. Another clan defends the settlements causing tension between clans and the alliances of clans.

^ I know this is pretty philosophical but you know what I am getting at. :P

Granted, they are specific attempting to account for unknown variables is just what we have grown accustom too. Might be because I myself am a deaf gamer and the guild / clan I run wishes to remain competitive in any aspect of play we seek out.

I get what you are getting at it, overall just hit a wrong cord when I read reports with verdicts that used realism a key factor, only to discard it when it came to bandit actions. I do understand that concessions have to be made due to the fact people would abuse a hyper realistic approach to a wider array of situations within DayZ.

I fully expect bandits to be mature, without the need of a guiding hand so to speak. I will not lie, it will be part to shake my notion of threat I pretty much view a threat to be something or someone that has the the ability to likely cause harm that would result in death or serious injure to my clansmen or myself. Mainly people within known armed clans and such.

However, I know something like that could and would be abused, which is a shame really since people would view anyone as a threat, even a survivor armed with a flashlight.