Server time: 2017-08-16, 17:45

Sign in to follow this  
Brabbzy

Let's blow each other's minds with SCIENCE!

Brabbzy    0

As many of you probably know, science is FRICKIN' BADASS and comes in many different awesome forms.

I love learning about cutting edge discoveries, sharing fascinating facts and discussing interesting concepts/theories. I assume some of you guys do too, so I thought I would start a thread where people can come to blow minds and have their minds blown. Please post anything you like, whether it's an interesting video, your own thoughts on a theory or concept, a recommendation on a science YouTube channel or website and of course your thoughts/reactions to a previous post.

I'll get the ball rolling with an interesting concept from my own puny human brain and a couple of great science YouTube channels I'd recommend...

So, here's something pretty fucked up. Your body is made of human cells but is also home to lots of bacteria. All those cells and bacteria (just like everything else) is made of atoms. 99.9999999999999% (13 nines after the decimal point) of an atom is empty space. Then on top of that, the cells that make up the "non-human" bacteria that live inside the human body outnumber human cells 10 to 1. So basically, of the space your body inhabits, only 10% of 0.0000000000001% is physically you. Don't worry though, you're still awesome, even if you do barely exist.

Next up, I recommend you check out SciShow. These guys are awesome and their videos are fascinating, so take a good look through their channel. Here's a delicious taste...

[video=youtube]

Plus, Hank Green (the SciShow presenter) is great. He and his brother have another channel called Vlogbrothers who i'd also recommend checking out. They don't always talk science, but their videos are always entertaining.

[video=youtube]

Lastly there's Veritasium, another brilliantly presented science YouTube channel that discusses some really interesting stuff, but also challenges a lot of common misconceptions in science. Here's one of my favourite of their experiments, just make sure you watch one of the follow-up episodes which are linked at the end...

[video=youtube]

Anyway, that's all from me for now. I hope you enjoyed the stuff i've started us off with and I look forward to seeing what other mind boggling awesomeness you guys bring to the table.

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

Sidewinder    1

No V-Sauce?

And according to the standard laws of physics an atom shouldn't exist, the electron(s) circle the nucleus due to the attraction of the two protons. Yet two positives repel.

FURTHER SCIENCE!

Guest TCkril   
Guest TCkril

Nerds *change falls out of students trousers as I shake him up and down*

Guest TCkril   
Guest TCkril

Nerds

Nerds>Lad.

[snip]Flame inc I have enough points

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Sidewinder    1

Nerds

Nerds>Lad.

Pleb>Sidewinder

I'll take that compliment :) and I'd go to say that you're worth nothing... But as stated according to physics you are practically nothing :D

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Guest Alfie   
Guest Alfie

Sidewinder and Kril, cut it out, both of you. Any more posts like this will result in more warnings.

I find it amusing that people that are a part of an online gaming/roleplaying community have the nerve to use the word "nerd" as an insult.

CPCGrey is an entertaining and informative "science" channel. It's not so much science as in physics (which the word is usually associated with), but I advise you all to watch it.

Othuyeg    20

Did you know that if you cut out a man's intestine and lay it flat on the ground he will be totally pissed off?

[video=youtube]

this is amazing to me!

Brabbzy    0

Never knew of Vsauce but having watched this Bad Words video I can tell i'm not guna regret the sub! Thanks Stags & Waffle!

MOAR! GIVE ME MOAR SCIENCE CHOPS!

Sidewinder    1

Never knew of Vsauce but having watched this Bad Words video I can tell i'm not guna regret the sub! Thanks Stags & Waffle!

MOAR! GIVE ME MOAR SCIENCE CHOPS!

I did mention him :(

Guest Fuzzy   
Guest Fuzzy

VSauce is the best! :P

This morning i saw Through the wormhole on discovery channel.

Kinda interesting a special rare form of autism that makes you better in maths, solving puzzles, art,... They can simulate that form of autism with electricity.

Guest TehGreekGamer   
Guest TehGreekGamer

Ly0zeEr.gif

Actually Cephai isnt the biggest star known to man, the biggest star is VY Canis Majoris

800px-Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris.svg.png

Reptile449    0

No V-Sauce?

And according to the standard laws of physics an atom shouldn't exist, the electron(s) circle the nucleus due to the attraction of the two protons. Yet two positives repel.

FURTHER SCIENCE!

There are 4 fundamental standard laws of physics which are different interactions. The strong interaction is the strongest of these and is what creates the protons/neutrons from quarks and keeps them together in the nucleus. This interaction is so strong it's what powers our fusion/fission bombs.

Sly    1

Ly0zeEr.gif

Actually Cephai isnt the biggest star known to man, the biggest star is VY Canis Majoris

800px-Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris.svg.png

Its an old gif so nothing I can do about it.