Server time: 2019-03-25, 21:06 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Flame

An Overdue Leaving Thread.

Hello everyone.

Due to my lack of interaction with many of the more 'popular' members of the community when I played, my presence in game is probably not as well known as I'd like it to have been, so in saying that, many of you will probably have not met me in game before, thus not knowing who the hell I am, even though I have been in this community for a few months now.

But nonetheless, I thought I would come back to explain my long absence anyway and why I'm ultimately going to be leaving, probably not forever as hopefully in the next couple of months or so, DayZRP will continue to grow in the DayZ Standalone.

Initially when I first found out about this mod many months ago, I was happy that there was this sort of community out there in the big world of DayZ Mods. It was what I hoped the actual mod would be like, a proper zombie survival atmosphere where players would communicate with each other and perhaps band together to help each other survive the zombie apocalypse, where bandits wouldn't consist of players just shooting you on sight for your gear, instead would hold you up for just a can of beans with some good interaction. Not just the deathmatch it is now with some zombies running around which are just a small inconvenience.

Granted back when I first started playing I had no clue how to role-play at all and my interaction with other players was very awkward for me at least, but as time went on I of course learned a lot about role-playing, not just about role-playing in an apocalypse, but just in general and it gradually became fun for me to the point where I started to make videos of my adventures.

But unfortunately things started to go downhill and turned into something I do not really like at all in vanilla DayZ... bandits started to get more and more common, now the fact that there were bandits wasn't what made things annoying for me, it was how they role-played things out, or more like didn't. Most bandits were just blatantly out to get all of your gear and would do that without any concern for their characters life and do it as quick as possible whilst making sure they done it within the rules, a proper initiation, consequences clearly stated, etc. There was no role-play behind it, no sense of urgency for say some food or water, like you'd expect to be the main concern in a zombie apocalypse... not what kind of gun you have.

That was just the beginning, player settlements then started popping up and the main focus of many players and clans were to "raid" them as they put it, but in actual fact it was obvious that they just done so, so they could get some action in the hopes that there would be one player that didn't comply so they could shoot anyone that moved. So, because of that, I didn't go near settlements that often with the odd exception if I was near and needed some aid. But you can imagine how boring it got just scavenging around Chernarus when most of the server was at a certain settlement.

I then noticed an immense increase of raids, which soon resulted in clan conflict, which to me shouldn't be the concern in such a situation as a zombie apocalypse, unless a particular clan had a settlement that was riff with a solid food source, or a fresh water supply. In saying that, the role-play started to just focus on what each clan was doing really, which most weren't really revolving around actually surviving in a zombie apocalypse, but more wanting to be the most "powerful" in Chernarus. Many new clans started popping up with their main goal to be the most powerful, there would be little to no mention as to what they would do about the infection.

But a month ago I decided to test my role-playing skills and well as a last ditch attempt to make it enjoyable for me to carry on playing DayZRP and so I wanted created a character that was totally different to what I was used to role-playing as not to mention I wanted to make a character that the community hadn't seen before, or in my mind they wouldn't have. After thinking about it for a couple of days, coming up with a name, a backstory, how he would act and sound when he spoke, I then came up with Flesh. I was so pleased at how things turned out when I first brought the character to life and started to interact with other players, I got the exact reaction I wanted from players. It was a big gamble to do due to the fact that I could be shot on sight for having the zombie skin.

I thought that I would not carry ANY firearm of any kind so that I would not be robbed just because of that, but more that I would be captured as such for maybe some testing, not only was this for me, but I thought it would be a welcomed change for the community as well had they met my new character. For the few times I was on as Flesh, it was fun seeing how other players reacted, I decided to make my way to other settlements in the hopes to get some more awesome role-play. Unfortunately that was not the case, a friend that I play with whose character was well known in the settlement I visited took a dislike to my character and of course the rest of the settlement followed. I was then banished from said settlement and threatened that if I showed my face around there again, I would be shot. I had a word with my friend and told him about it, of course he was sorry as he did not think his character had that kind of influence on people which I didn't mind at all as I know how he portrays his character, but of course my new character didn't and I didn't want to say to him to make an exception. Instead I ended up going back to the settlement one night to see if he was there so I could talk to him to tell him to not fear me.

Long story short, I was still banished from the settlement but I managed to talk to my friends character, but I think I spooked him quite a bit and he is still wary of my character.

Because of the ordeal at the settlement, and that I was banished that made me not want to play any more due to the fact that the majority of the players are in settlements and I didn't really fancy being shot on sight if I went near that particular settlement. But it wasn't really only that, I then had a browse on the forums to find that there were clans declaring war on each other, which basically pushed me over the edge... well that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it was the last straw I guess and I decided to just not play at all if things were just going to revolve around clan wars, which I think they should just go on a Wasteland server if they are just wanting to have clan wars, but that's just my opinion.

I'm sure a lot has changed since then, a lot more new faces, but for now I am content with testing DayZ Standalone, as well as playing other games that I have bought over the Christmas sale on Steam.

I hope you all had a good Christmas and I wish you all the best in the mod. Maybe in a few months Flesh will be recreated in DayZ Standalone =)

Hey there Flame, I think we met in-game at least once, I was playing my WildernessTV character Vincent Miller at the time and I believe you were also called Vincent. It was at Sanctuary before it was removed. I loved that encounter and you're a great roleplayer, it's a shame to see you go.

I can't argue your reasons for leaving at all and I wish you well. I hope to see you back here soon though. The whole mod and community is going through a transitional period at the moment but I hope at the end of it that it will regain that uniqueness that brings all of us here.

Merry Belated Christmas and a Happy New Year! Hope this is just a temporary break.

Well, its a shame to lose a member of the community but I fail to see your reason on leaving. Too many bandits? I have never been robbed. Clans declaring war? That has nothing to do with you unless you are in one of the clans. Settlement raids? I never visit them away. Yet, I still find great RP and enjoyment in the game.

This mod is really what you make it. I hope you see that some day and return.

Most of your reasoning seems outdated, oh and if you are banished from a settlement it does not mean they can shoot you whenever they like. Oh well, goodbye!

I'm pretty sure all of the settlements have been removed due to the difficulty and complexity of keeping them running. There may be more in the future, but not for now.

Most of the player base has removed themselves to other pursuits for the time being as well, for a perfect storm of reasons, but such things are transitory, and I expect things to start picking up in the coming months.

Until then, I'll be looking forward to your return.

Hey there Flame, I think we met in-game at least once, I was playing my WildernessTV character Vincent Miller at the time and I believe you were also called Vincent. It was at Sanctuary before it was removed. I loved that encounter and you're a great roleplayer, it's a shame to see you go.

I can't argue your reasons for leaving at all and I wish you well. I hope to see you back here soon though. The whole mod and community is going through a transitional period at the moment but I hope at the end of it that it will regain that uniqueness that brings all of us here.

Merry Belated Christmas and a Happy New Year! Hope this is just a temporary break.

Thank you for the kind words, Big. I enjoyed our little encounter as well and I wished there was more of those types!

And a Merry Belated Christmas to you, and have an awesome New Year!

Well, its a shame to lose a member of the community but I fail to see your reason on leaving. Too many bandits? I have never been robbed. Clans declaring war? That has nothing to do with you unless you are in one of the clans. Settlement raids? I never visit them away. Yet, I still find great RP and enjoyment in the game.

This mod is really what you make it. I hope you see that some day and return.

My reason for leaving isn't being robbed often, if anything I think that a lot of good role-play can come from being robbed in a zombie apocalypse, but it's how the robbery is role-played is what annoys me, if you read my thread. =)

Again, if you read my thread you'd see that I feel that such actions for clans shouldn't be the main concern regarding role-playing in a zombie apocalypse. It may not directly affect me when I'm playing, but knowing that these clans are just after some clan vs. clan action kind of ruins the mood if I come across one of the clans that are at war as all I could think of in my mind is the war the started and why on earth it is their concern. If the war was about gaining specific land in Chernarus that provided good pasture for farming then go for it, a stable source of food is a step in the right direction for survival in a zombie apocalypse, no?

For me, what makes my time enjoyable when playing the mod is how others are interacting, not only with me, but as a whole. After all we are in a zombie apocalypse and I feel that is what we should be role-playing. I could just go around on my own talking to myself, but that isn't very fun =(

Most of your reasoning seems outdated, oh and if you are banished from a settlement it does not mean they can shoot you whenever they like. Oh well, goodbye!

They are indeed, but since then I just haven't had the want to come back yet, so far I have been enjoying the DayZ Standalone Alpha, there is now a lot of interaction, so far anyway, I'm sure as time goes on it will eventually turn out like the mod, in which case I would gladly come back to DayZRP if it's in the Standalone.

I'm pretty sure all of the settlements have been removed due to the difficulty and complexity of keeping them running. There may be more in the future, but not for now.

Most of the player base has removed themselves to other pursuits for the time being as well, for a perfect storm of reasons, but such things are transitory, and I expect things to start picking up in the coming months.

Until then, I'll be looking forward to your return.

Hopefully in the coming months DayZRP would be able to transition into the Standalone. There are a lot of neat features that would work really well in the mod.

I'll be looking forward to our first meet if I return, well our first ever meet I'd imagine!

o/

Enjoy your time off I'm sure you'll be back.

Haha, chances are I will be back, but only if DayZRP is able to continue in the Standalone. =)

Sign in to follow this