Server time: 2017-08-22, 08:56

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Quick Rule Tip: Time to Comply

After seeing a few bits of confusion regarding the whole "ten seconds to comply" rule, I felt I should make a few clarifications in case anyone's unsure of how the rule works.

Simply put, you have ten seconds to comply from the time the consequences of failure to comply are stated. Now, two scenarios have popped up lately, both of which happen to have occurred in a more recent reports.

1. Ten seconds is the actual amount of time you must give, not the stated time. It is completely legit for me to say "You have five seconds or you die!" or "You have three seconds to comply!" as long as I actually give you a full ten.

2. The countdown starts when the threat is made, not when any mention of a countdown is made. I can legitimately say "Drop your weapons or I will kill you!", and then, five seconds later, say "You have five seconds to comply!", and then shoot you five seconds after that, because the total amount of time for you to comply to the demands was ten seconds.

Good guide, hopefully people will take this into account. Thanks!

Very well said! In fact, SDS had a report against us for something similar to this. Initiator said 5 seconds, but 15 seconds was actually given. People need to realize you can't simply nit pick every single thing in a robbery to make a report against someone. If you were given sufficient time to comply, and had a hostile action thrown at you, COMPLY OR DIE!

Lue    25

Yep. This is why when I initiate on people I don't even give a time limit. Last few robberies I did I just told them to do whatever or I would do some real nastay. Usually they listen, but i've had a few people test me; but never did get reported from any instance yet.

I feel that shouting out a time limit makes you come across as a standard, typical, grade F robber and people will instantly shut off their brains as far as wanting to RP with you on the situation and will just be looking for something to report (such as your time limit given)...

I suggest doing yourselves a favor and just state a demand and the straight up consequence and leave time limits out and keep track of that in your own mind... Nobody likes a count down.. trust me.

All that is, is a fuse or ticking time bomb for them to say "Ef this shit" and unload on you cause they figure they are gonna die anyway and you aren't giving them time to comply... I'm sure in many instances, people that had planned to comply ended up taking action and firing at robbers simply because they were running out of time to drop their crap and were afraid they were gonna get popped before they finished dropping everything (lag, slow computer, whatever it may be).. even though the robber may not intent to shoot them right at the 10 seconds, 5 seconds.. whatever... the one being robbed only hears "5 seconds" and are thinking "shit shit shit shit shit" trying to comply and you get down to 1 second and they still have a gun in hand or a backpack on and they say "ef this"... I know I would... Cause frankly, how am I supposed to know that you are going to give me more than what you said to comply and not just use it as excuse to kill me when im still holding a handgun at 10 seconds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... 90% of the people on DayZRP are playing a different game.. its called "Who can get KoS first"... So counting down is just a way of who can gain KoS first... robber is in danger of many things once they initiate a hostile action, so someone being robbed could view a countdown as their way of being able to kill them ASAP to avoid potentially being killled by A.) the one being robbed or B.) Good Samaritan.

I agree with what you have said, but put yourself in their shoes, too... countdowns are horrible, imo... Thats just pushing away any chance of good RP right off the bat by giving someone a time limit to do something... it makes them panic (not in a good way) trying to click all their shit to drop it and if they are running out of time they will YOLO your ass and either kill your or be killed and there goes all your RP potential...

I initiate on people and give them all the time in the world to comply but if its been like 30+ seconds and they aren't offering up any decent RP or banter or ANYTHING at all.. then sure, I'll probably put them down for being fishy as hell (like talking on TS trying to rally friends instead of RP like a real man)...

If someone im robbing goes with it and RPs back and makes it a good situation, I will do the same... if they are just here for the ruleplay and pissy about being robbed and say stupid shit, boom headshot.

But I care more about the RP potential than the gear, or even killing people.. So countdowns are nonsense... It has gotten me killed before by giving my victims a buffer zone to comply.. but you know, at least nobody was asshurt about it at the end of the day. I died.. so what.. life goes on. Make RP your focus in all things you do on a RP server and you should never regret it afterwards... the only people I see bitching about stuff like this are the ones playing for the wrong reasons.. no offense.

Bryan    0

After seeing a few bits of confusion regarding the whole "ten seconds to comply" rule, I felt I should make a few clarifications in case anyone's unsure of how the rule works.

Simply put, you have ten seconds to comply from the time the consequences of failure to comply are stated. Now, two scenarios have popped up lately, both of which happen to have occurred in a more recent reports.

1. Ten seconds is the actual amount of time you must give, not the stated time. It is completely legit for me to say "You have five seconds or you die!" or "You have three seconds to comply!" as long as I actually give you a full ten.

2. The countdown starts when the threat is made, not when any mention of a countdown is made. I can legitimately say "Drop your weapons or I will kill you!", and then, five seconds later, say "You have five seconds to comply!", and then shoot you five seconds after that, because the total amount of time for you to comply to the demands was ten seconds.

//I know it's not on topic but: u back?

Wondered where you disappeared to :D

I'd argue that the specifics don't even need to go into that much detail. I wouldn't even bother give someone a time warning. I would just give them a fair amount of time. Certainly not 5 seconds anyway for the total of the interaction.

Welcome back!

All my this. I don't usually use countdowns for this very reason, although I do give them about 20 seconds and plenty of warnings.

The old "and don't turn around" bit on the initiation helps a lot, and means you can give them a long while to comply without accidently breaking a demand and getting shot.

BMCalliope    0

Personally I will give them anything from 10-30 seconds depending on how they have acted towards me in the past (If I know them). I find it gives them time to think as when you give them like 5 seconds they will generally panic and it will result in your death (Which is obviously not what you want :)) and if you give them 20-30 they will have more time to think and if you are a group initiating on one person they will not take the chance for one or two kills and instant death, and will surrender their weapons.

But that is just my personal experience :)

Were I to rob someone, I wouldn't shoot them unless they posed a threat. If you completely disarm someone and they suddenly take off running, why shoot? To me, shooting someone that doesn't comply but isn't a threat is just seeking an excuse to kill someone (i.e. ruleplay). Yes, they could go get a gun and come back, but if they comply, they can do that eventually when you release them anyway. Worst-case scenario, I might shoot them in the leg and then leave them. Killing, though? Not unless they're an immediate threat to my survival.

Sign in to follow this