Server time: 2017-10-23, 02:14
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
RedrickJim

Avoiding bandit situation

RedrickJim    0

Reposting this from the mod discussion forum, better fit here, More opinions, more views exc...

To bandits avoiders like myself I ask: How do you know if you are about to be robbed, and how do you avoid it? I'm a social creature by nature, I like the social aspect of DayZRP and the idea of not having to worry about being shot immediately upon encountering someone, however I have had the following situation happen to me several times:

I'd be at a camp, bullshit with the locals. Good times all around. I'd then go out on a scavenging run, get supplies to bring back (because who doesn't like a littler charity run every now and again?) Then on my way there, or back I come across some dudes from the group. We'd get talking again, turns out they'd get the same idea. Both times I had happened to be about to die of thirst, they were nice enough to hook a brother up.

This is where it gets strange though: No sooner then after they give me a bottle to drink I am robbed of my things, and shot in the leg left in a field. There was no prior indication of this so they all had to be in on it through Teamspeak or something. I am just confused as to why you bandits do these types of things? Why not just wait for me to die, or rob me immediately, why go through the trouble of debating to kill me AFTER you show me hospitality?

Keep in mind this has happened to me several times, different people each time. I do not mean to come off hostile, I am really trying to figure out how I can avoid this in the future.

Thanks

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

When a person is trying to rob someone, they will be preoccupied and somewhat distant from the conversation. If you see people acting suspicious, try and RO and if they show those signs GTFO

Guest kzammm   
Guest kzammm

That is allways happening to me....

I just don't understand why people keep robbing me.

Sometimes I find people wich I help, by giving food, drink, as this is surviving...and we need to help the others to survive...

When we turn "arround", they are pointing a gun to our head....robbing us.... I just don't get it....why are they so "mean" ?

Mellstrom    21

I remember a time when i got robbed close to altar. 5 guys just walking towards me. They ask me what i'm doing here and if i know any groups. I answer honestly and as soon as i get walking again they turn around and rob me. Just quit the cheesy talk and just get on with it.

Laurence Taylor    3

i feel you brother, i made a thread recently trying to get some rules implemented so that bandits had to shot hostility from the start so that you can use your common sense to leave. however no one liked the idea, and in all honesty the idea probably needs more thought and tweaking but oh well!

RedrickJim    0

i feel you brother, i made a thread recently trying to get some rules implemented so that bandits had to shot hostility from the start so that you can use your common sense to leave. however no one liked the idea, and in all honesty the idea probably needs more thought and tweaking but oh well!

Well I'm not really even looking for a rule to be put in place. I'm just trying to get a feel for how to avoid this in game. It'd be great to have a bandit step forward and tell us why he or she would do this sort of thing.

Laurence Taylor    3

Well I'm not really even looking for a rule to be put in place. I'm just trying to get a feel for how to avoid this in game. It'd be great to have a bandit step forward and tell us why he or she would do this sort of thing.

I agree, as a Law Keeper it would be very useful to understand how the wild bandit thinks in its natural environment and would certainly help me track them down and punish them for their crimes haha.

I agree, as a Law Keeper it would be very useful to understand how the wild bandit thinks in its natural environment and would certainly help me track them down and punish them for their crimes haha.

Ultimately, bandits, brigands, pirates, highwaymen.. And other such uncouth rabble have no thoughts other than a constant need to dominate others and to see to it that the world burns.

Well, the world would burn if they got together in one group rather than in a bunch of marauding warbands that seek to one-up each other. Though relying on them being disparate and separate groups won't work in the long-term.

Just ask the Western Roman Empire circa ~350-500 C.E., or the Eastern Roman Empire circa 1453 C.E.

If you see a group of people, assume the worst and stay away unless you can determine otherwise.

When it comes to anyone, remember this: People will show their true face once they have donned a mask, and never trust anyone that rides a bicycle in this post-zombie virus apocalyptic environment. They're as mad as Caligula and as calculating and jaded as Niccolò Machiavelli, so... Good luck.

(One or more parts of this post may have been in jest, or perhaps not. I forgot where I put my medicine to remember.)

Guest Bourneco   
Guest Bourneco

Personally; bandits are part of life. People get mugged even today. Without them, it'd be unrealistic, and there is about 0% possibility that this would go down, especially in the current state. (IE A ZOMBIE FUCKING APOCALYPSE.) I wish people would do it MORE. It's realistic; it adds to roleplay. And it just means MPF gets to beat the shit out of some more people.

Guest Alfie   
Guest Alfie

Ultimately, bandits, brigands, pirates, highwaymen.. And other such uncouth rabble have no thoughts other than a constant need to dominate others and to see to it that the world burns.

Well, the world would burn if they got together in one group rather than in a bunch of marauding warbands that seek to one-up each other. Though relying on them being disparate and separate groups won't work in the long-term.

Just ask the Western Roman Empire circa ~350-500 C.E., or the Eastern Roman Empire circa 1453 C.E.

If you see a group of people, assume the worst and stay away unless you can determine otherwise.

When it comes to anyone, remember this: People will show their true face once they have donned a mask, and never trust anyone that rides a bicycle in this post-zombie virus apocalyptic environment. They're as mad as Caligula and as calculating and jaded as Niccolò Machiavelli, so... Good luck.

(One or more parts of this post may have been in jest, or perhaps not. I forgot where I put my medicine to remember.)

Ladies and gentlemen, let me present to you AssociateGodfrey, a man who doesn't post much here. However when he does, it's presented so well and will be when you least expect it. Leaving you baffled and bewildered (see what I did there?) for hours after.

Krimbo    0

Well in regards to your story, if you were shot in the leg and left in a field you should open a report discussion. Robbers are responsible for their victims well-being, and they are required to leave their victim in good health with a fair chance to live. Leaving you in a field with low blood and a broken leg isn't good health.

About the topic as a whole however, if you are unsure or they are acting suspicious, get out of there straight away. Look over your shoulder and see if they raise a weapon or move to cover. Be aware of cover in the direction you are running away.

ActionMan    2

If I find people in the wilderness, I'll try to stay hidden and tail them for a while.

If you can hear them asking each other about who they are / who their associations are, then they're strangers to each other, which means it's pretty safe for another stranger (you) to approach them.

If you can't hear them talking at all (when within 50m), but they seem to be moving place to place with coordination, then that means they're communicating via radio (IC: whispering into earpieces / OOC: on TeamSpeak). This means that even when you approach, they'll continue to whisper behind your back. If you're going to approach, best to get a friend to set up overwatch ;)

RedrickJim    0

Well in regards to your story, if you were shot in the leg and left in a field you should open a report discussion. Robbers are responsible for their victims well-being, and they are required to leave their victim in good health with a fair chance to live. Leaving you in a field with low blood and a broken leg isn't good health.

About the topic as a whole however, if you are unsure or they are acting suspicious, get out of there straight away. Look over your shoulder and see if they raise a weapon or move to cover. Be aware of cover in the direction you are running away.

The first time it happened I did look up the rules to see if it was legal. Turns out it is allowed. I haven't played in several months because after it happened for the third time I had to stop. Something re sparked my instance in the last few days though.

ActionMan    2

Breaking someones legs and leaving them in the middle of nowhere is not allowed. People have gotten bans for it before.

Unless you're doing it for RP reasons AND you then execute them or allow them access to morphine, then it's trolling/griefing.

RedrickJim    0

Breaking someones legs and leaving them in the middle of nowhere is not allowed. People have gotten bans for it before.

Unless you're doing it for RP reasons AND you then execute them or allow them access to morphine, then it's trolling/griefing.

Wish I knew that back then. It must have changed, I remember looking it up and it was allowed at the time of the incidents. I don't think I would of stopped playing if it wasn't and would of probably reported it accordingly. Yeah I was robbed, told to walk 100 yards, shot until legs were broken, patched for bleeding, and was left there without morphine. In fact I still think I am there, let me log in and check.

Yeah nope, fresh respawn. Guess there was a wipe or something in my time gone.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

//I use to be one of those annoying banditos who would play nice then you turn around and the "great debate" begins.

(Bandit perspective) Im on TS with a buddy who is either next to me ingame or overwatching our little chat we just had. We are joking about what we COULD do (torture, kidnap etc), but then the paranoia sets in, who did we just help? was he a bandit? is he alone? is he in a clan? does he have cool stuff in his backpack or inventory?

These are just a few questions that I am commonly stumped with when talking with someone in the DayZ world. However a catalyst of the situation which is usually the reason for me (and my associates) is what do WE need?

My buddy is infected we need antibiotics - lets rob this guy.

Im starting to get hungry - Lets rob this guy

We need a car and/or a tool box - lets rob this guy.

I could go on with a massive list of reasons why people change their attitudes during what appears to be a friendly encounter and to be honest it cannot be avoided. Due to TS and other ways of communicating people can have massive amounts of time to debate the cons and pros of someone they are talking to and the most frequent answer of these great debates is "F*** it, lets do this"

Every question and debate I listed above is usually (in my experience) what happens as soon as a friendly encounter begins or ends and the guy who is all alone turns his back to the "nice guys" who just helped him out.

How to avoid it? Dont play alone.

RedrickJim    0

//I use to be one of those annoying banditos who would play nice then you turn around and the "great debate" begins.

(Bandit perspective) Im on TS with a buddy who is either next to me ingame or overwatching our little chat we just had. We are joking about what we COULD do (torture, kidnap etc), but then the paranoia sets in, who did we just help? was he a bandit? is he alone? is he in a clan? does he have cool stuff in his backpack or inventory?

These are just a few questions that I am commonly stumped with when talking with someone in the DayZ world. However a catalyst of the situation which is usually the reason for me (and my associates) is what do WE need?

My buddy is infected we need antibiotics - lets rob this guy.

Im starting to get hungry - Lets rob this guy

We need a car and/or a tool box - lets rob this guy.

I could go on with a massive list of reasons why people change their attitudes during what appears to be a friendly encounter and to be honest it cannot be avoided. Due to TS and other ways of communicating people can have massive amounts of time to debate the cons and pros of someone they are talking to and the most frequent answer of these great debates is "F*** it, lets do this"

Every question and debate I listed above is usually (in my experience) what happens as soon as a friendly encounter begins or ends and the guy who is all alone turns his back to the "nice guys" who just helped him out.

How to avoid it? Dont play alone.

It's my own fault I suppose, but none of my friends are into serious roleplay or if they are they aren't dedicated enough to go through the application process for DayZRP, and I'm not really one to join a clan. None of the ones I've looked at appeal to me. I like the idea of various roles inside of the clan structure, set training sessions sound incredible to me.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

I am debating joining a clan or not at the moment. I usually play with a friend who is in the process of being whitelisted so hopefully I wont be getting captured (again) anytime soon once he gets on.

And to be fair on yourself it isnt entirely your fault its just human nature and the recent domination of capitalism in the world that has created a selfish mindset to be commonplace in society.

But in terms of ingame situations (and assuming your playing solo)

- Calculate risks (eg; Is it worth talking to those fully geared guys in that barracks?)

- Ask questions such as; are you alone? are you in a clan? do you need anything? Hopefully from the answers provided (and the time taken to reply to you) you will have a decent idea if they are lying or not and can act accordingly.

- Always take the long way. 9 times out of 10 people will take the easy way saying "YOLO" when they have a choice of the "long way or the risky way" A good example of this is choosing whether to run across a 500m open field OR crouch running amongst the trees that are on the edge of the field.

^^^( people may disagree with that one but it is from what I have learned in my DayZ experiences)

And the number 1 rule in DayZ: NEVER TRUST ANYONE - Always have a plan to either escape quickly or keep yourself in a secure position (eg behind them instead of you leading the way)

RedrickJim    0

I am debating joining a clan or not at the moment. I usually play with a friend who is in the process of being whitelisted so hopefully I wont be getting captured (again) anytime soon once he gets on.

And to be fair on yourself it isnt entirely your fault its just human nature and the recent domination of capitalism in the world that has created a selfish mindset to be commonplace in society.

- Calculate risks (eg; Is it worth talking to those fully geared guys in that barracks?)

- Ask questions such as; are you alone? are you in a clan? do you need anything? Hopefully from the answers provided (and the time taken to reply to you) you will have a decent idea if they are lying or not and can act accordingly.

- Always take the long way. 9 times out of 10 people will take the easy way saying "YOLO" when they have a choice of the "long way or the risky way" A good example of this is choosing whether to run across a 500m open field OR crouch running amongst the trees that are on the edge of the field.

^^^( people may disagree with that one but it is from what I have learned in my DayZ experiences)

And the number 1 rule in DayZ: NEVER TRUST ANYONE - Always have a plan to either escape quickly or keep yourself in a secure position (eg behind them instead of you leading the way)

I like you, your ok in my book. I'll keep these bits in mind.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

I like you, your ok in my book. I'll keep these bits in mind.

Oh Sssshhhhttoopppp it <3

Laurence Taylor    3

yes.

Frisia    8

You reconise bandits by these things!

People who talk and suddenly and get silent for longer then 5 seconds.

people who stare at you to long silently.

People who are far to friendly and want to stick to you in an exited tone.

I'll just stay friendly and layd back with most interest on myself while keeping a humble attitude making me a verry unatractive robbery target.

But if someone wants to rob me i luckly always have a 1 hit kill weapon along my arms :)

I usually tend to notice people who rob settlements act friendly and say "come sit by the fire its cold", i will sit in a tower or high position and you can see the people who are robbing the others start to continually back up until they are all behind you and then they initiate. When i see small queues like this, i gtfo.