Server time: 2017-08-20, 04:17

Sign in to follow this  
Radicuhll

Monitor shuts off while computer continues running

Question

Radicuhll    0

This used to happen a lot a long time ago when I would be trying to play DayZRP. The problem subsided for awhile but has now recently returned. It's really frustrating as I have to shut down my entire computer and reboot it so that I can get back on, only to have it happen again. This only seems to happen when I'm playing Arma, but I am testing a few other games currently to see if it happens then. If anyone can help or give me some advice I would really appreciate it.

Update: So it seems that a few seconds after my monitor goes into power save, my computer restarts itself.

12 answers to this question

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

I'd love to help you on this but I don't really know what I can suggest for you, Maybe your graphics card has something to do with it, Maybe the monitor.

I suggest trying a new monitor first, If that still doesn't work maybe something is wrong with your computer, Try going to a computer shop in your local area.

I'm sure they might have a better idea then me!

Anyway hope I helped man! Good luck. :)

runewr    1

First I would try updating the driver.

Had ths trouble before, it turned out that it was just the screen changing "Connections". Try pressing autoadjust on your screen when it happens

Radicuhll    0

Is it the screen turning off completely or arma minimising and refusing to open again?

It's the screen turning off completely.

First I would try updating the driver.

Had ths trouble before, it turned out that it was just the screen changing "Connections". Try pressing autoadjust on your screen when it happens

Checking to see if there are any driver updates right now. Also could you elaborate on the autoadjust? I'm not familiar with what that is.

runewr    1

Checking to see if there are any driver updates right now. Also could you elaborate on the autoadjust? I'm not familiar with what that is.

Yeah no problems. Usually on screens, there are several physical buttons except the on/off one, actuall buttons or just a touchbutton. One of those is commonly named autoadjust, which detects which connections you are using from the screen to the GPU(VGA/DVI/HDMI). Pressing this might change back the settings to the "correct" ones, if this is the issue, which I/we dont know yet. Its just a thought.

Hope its a bit more clear now :)

TL140    0

I had this happen to me.

1. check your power cord. (of course)

2. If it does it again, unplug your vga/hdmi cable from your tower and let it sit for 15 seconds. plug it in

if you have a laptop sorry. i dont know

Radicuhll    0

Yeah no problems. Usually on screens, there are several physical buttons except the on/off one, actuall buttons or just a touchbutton. One of those is commonly named autoadjust, which detects which connections you are using from the screen to the GPU(VGA/DVI/HDMI). Pressing this might change back the settings to the "correct" ones, if this is the issue, which I/we dont know yet. Its just a thought.

Hope its a bit more clear now :)

Yeah it is. The problem just happened again and actually discovered what you meant. xD Although the AutoAdjust was greyed out and I was unable to select it. Also this time when it happened I turned the monitor off and then back on, and my computer restarted itself.

I had this happen to me.

1. check your power cord. (of course)

2. If it does it again, unplug your vga/hdmi cable from your tower and let it sit for 15 seconds. plug it in

if you have a laptop sorry. i dont know

I'll try that now, thanks.

TomG    0

Was it a problem with the power cord? That's what it sounds like to me.

Bloody    0

This happens to me sometimes also. I just have to ctrl-alt-delete and shutdown arma. It usually happens when I alt-tab out the game.

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

This happens to me sometimes also. I just have to ctrl-alt-delete and shutdown arma. It usually happens when I alt-tab out the game.

He's not saying ArmA crashes, he's saying his monitor shuts off, completely.

As others have suggested, make sure your power cord is in fine, and check your HDMI/VGA connection, if that doesn't work, troubleshoot from your GPU/Mobo.

Owen    13

Most likely your GPU is dying or either there's a loss connection somewhere possibly on the motherboard. That's my thoughts on it any way.

Guest The Nightmare   
Guest The Nightmare

Your computer might need more electricity then its getting so it shuts its self down. Just my view of it. Like if you have a 800 watt PC and your only feeding it 200 watts. Its not going to work. Not sure if i got this right as i am not very good with this stuff but yeah hope that helped! :D