Server time (UTC): 2023-02-09 08:47

Clan Skins: A gentlemen's agreement

Robbin

Do you feel like this is a good idea  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Emerald

~ The problem ~

Clan skins are not implemented, and chances are they will not be implemented in the near future. Firefights occur throughout the server and identifying targets becomes more and more important. We have gone from "WE CAN KILL ANYONE IN A FIREFIGHT ZONE" (/Misty) to "Choose your targets carefully". This is another discussion that I'll save for another time. But this does bring another issue.

People are roaming around in random skins and/or several skins in combination with hats or gasmasks. Only a few clans have adopted their own personal skins (SVR with the Spetznaz Commander is a well-known example). Clans have also purposefully used different skins in order to exploit the current ruleset and make it harder to identify people.

People are getting banned because of this. The outcome of firefights change because of this. Innocent people are getting killed because of this.

~ My solution ~

A gentlemen's agreement between the clans. A single topic on the forums that keeps track of the skins that are being used by the participating clans. They will be encouraged to use their skin, and their skin only during group play. A suggestion would be that clans of 10 or more people will be able to claim a skin as their own and will be added to the topic.

If all the clans would be willing to participate, civilian casualties would fall to a minimum and this would certainly decrease the amount of reports.

The essence of this idea is that it relies upon the honor of the parties for its fulfillment, rather than being in any way enforceable. Thankfully, it is common knowledge that clans like Imperial Dragōns consider themselves 'Very honorable'.

~ Possible problems ~

Q: A person in my clan doesn't like the skin we wear. What can I do?

A: As was mentioned, it's a matter of honor. If a person is in the clan, he should be honoured to wear the skin, right?

Q: A person in my clan does not want to donate. What can I do?

A: Perhaps help him out? I know some clans have actually given donations for people inside the clan. It would also bring a strong sense of unity to the group. Imagine all of you looking alike while slowly walking to Altar in formation. Wouldn't that just be badass? It would.

Q: X clan is not wearing the skin in a firefight!

A: Although we can't force people to use the skin, please speak to them about this matter and persuade them into using the skin next time. If this repeatedly goes wrong, post something in the thread about the clan-skins.

~ Discuss ~

Please, discuss about why you feel it should/shouldn't happen. I'd be more than willing to contact the clan leaders for their preferences before starting up the thread. Perhaps it can be stickied in the Clan-forums if the plan does go through.

• Emerald

SDS uses mostly one skin. I would like this to work but the chance of everyone cooperating and getting the skin they want for their clan is slim. Hope it works out though.

• Emerald

I'm up for this, LK use Merc With Cowboy hat. Is that an acceptable uniform?

Of course. Certain skins with characteristics (like the hat) would make it even more clear. Would be preferred to use a single merc skin though.

there should be a sort of "reward" for clans whom opt into this thus making clans want to do it.

Give the Clan members the chosen skin :P

or a better and more likely idea - give them one of the little Titles

Yeah some sort of reward to make them want to do it cose some people may be suborn and not want to do in.

• Sapphire

This.

Great idea!

• Emerald

It's an honor system. To "reward" people is counter-intuitive to the point of the system in the first place.

The reward is the general improvement of the entire server's ability to identify their targets. Why does everyone have to think about "me, me, me, what do I get?"

Think about everyone else and they'll do the same.

It's an honor system. To "reward" people is counter-intuitive to the point of the system in the first place.

The reward is the general improvement of the entire server's ability to identify their targets. Why does everyone have to think about "me, me, me, what do I get?"

Think about everyone else and they'll do the same.

We do realise Frayzies, it's just you know that some people won't. Personally we already do this, and I mean it's not much of a reward anyway haha

• Emerald

Black Hat usually are all in the same two skins..we have always done this.

• Emerald

I would love to see other clans do this it would get rid of lots of confusion although free medics have no need for this type of things as we don't take part in fire fights.

For now

• Emerald

I vote yes, This is a smart suggestion that would help a lot as you said.

I can also reassure you that the Powder Gangers will use the same clothing.

Also i think this should have been posted on Suggestions..?

Yeah, it was mostly a suggestion with the option to discuss the idea. Figured it'd be fine in either.

• Emerald

I've actually been thinking about the exact same thing lately!

Think this would be really good.

I like this idea a lot I see a lot of civs and other clans using Merc 10 which is the skin UKSF use, and sometimes during firefights it's hard to tell who you are shooting at..

• Sapphire

SASR's Offical uniform is and always has been a merc skin with a tan beret or any skin with a tan beret. :) but SASR is beginning too... *spoilers*