Server time (UTC): 2023-01-26 22:48

Is this an exploit?

Guest TCkril

This is counted as an exploit, yes or no?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Basically, I really think that this is an exploitation of game mechanics. I hate to ruin peoples fun but this can make an unfair advantage.

[video=youtube]

/discuss

• Emerald

I dont think it is since it is apart of the game mechanics.

• Emerald

I fail to see how this is exploiting a game mechanic. The key is part of Arma 2, it's simply just not on by default. It works as intended, so there is no exploiting involved.

Everyone can do it simply by binding the key. Are they smart for doing it, or are we stupid for not doing it? As far as I'm aware, they run out of food/drink quicker aswell.

Also, I am moving this to General discussions. Might be a question, but it asks for discussion.

I fail to see how this is exploiting a game mechanic. The key is part of Arma 2, it's simply just not on by default. It works as intended, so there is no exploiting involved.

Everyone can do it simply by binding the key. Are they smart for doing it, or are we stupid for not doing it? As far as I'm aware, they run out of food/drink quicker aswell.

The thing is, that the bind is supposed to be used instead of double tapping W. Instead people have found a glitch where if you hold your turbo bind and spam W you can abuse it to go faster so it wasn't originally created to be used like that.

Guest Praetorian

As TCmate stated, you can tweak the function to sprint even quicker - though I personally wouldn't regard it as an exploit. I have a member of my squad who uses the turbo run, and enjoys the speed gained for running massive distances on foot. For myself, my character tends to be ridiculously quick on his own, so I haven't resorted to using turbo at all.

An exploitation, likely not.

Abusable to a minor degree, perhaps.

Serious note:

Yes I use this a lot lately and noticed the down sides as well.

Down sides:

- quick drink/food depletion

- My middle finger hurts

- you need to wait like 2 minutes to catch breath to shoot

RP reason:

- you run like mad, when some one is chasing you and with this video everyone can do this so its ok I gues. And it is not bannable, because you can't anyone doing it. You would have to remove the turbo key completly. If you don't remove that key there is no point in making it an official exploit.

I believe it is a gameplay exploit as much as commander view is, or third person view.

third person is not exploit. It is game mechanic. Intended to do.

• MVP

This isn't an exploit. It is simply a feature that you can choose to turn on or off.

Exploits are ways to gain an unfair advantage on people. Such as glitching guns through walls, hiding in places inaccessible by conventional means etc etc.

This simply makes your character a bit faster. No big deal.

I don't consider it an exploit, but if you don't have the rhythm the animation tends to stutter. So I only use it for short bursts of speed of up to 100m every now and then when I need to, otherwise just hold W instead.

And food and drink isn't a problem when there are so many spawns atm.

• MVP

Personally I don't think so, it has MAJOR disadvantages at can't be used reliably.

• MVP

This isn't an exploit. It is simply a feature that you can choose to turn on or off.

Exploits are ways to gain an unfair advantage on people. Such as glitching guns through walls, hiding in places inaccessible by conventional means etc etc.

This simply makes your character a bit faster. No big deal.

I'd disagree with what you said on a number of points.

Firstly this wasn't intended on their part, but merely an oversight. They gave people two options to speed people up and people are combining the two in a rhythm to gain speed.

A number of people do not even know about this and it could lead to an unfair advantage where a person is able to catch up to someone where in a normal scenario, he would not be able to. Of course that is a loose definition of an exploit but that is the case nonetheless.

What would be different? To how someone can see someone further away or see them over the wall. Albeit, you could argue that 3rd person view is an exploit as well that we have come to accept as another tool at our disposal.

I see it as an exploit and it feels wrong so I don't use it. I will stick to either or, not both.

I don't consider it an exploit, but if you don't have the rhythm the animation tends to stutter.

I think it only stutters when you have low fps, that's my case anyway.

I see it as an exploit and it feels wrong so I don't use it. I will stick to either or, not both.

You don't even use it when you are alone and have to run from like Cherno to Stary?

I use it when I'm alone and just want to get somewhere faster, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Kinda off topic:

In Arma, if your frame-rate drops below about 20FPS, then your character actually starts to run in slow motion -- you can't catch up to other people, and people chasing you can catch you easily!

Therefore good PC's are an exploit!!!

To everyone saying that it's not supposed to be in the game -- that you're not supposed to be able to hold tubo and also double-tap W to keep your character sprinting even when tired -- how do you know this?

How do you know it's an accidental feature, and not a deliberate feature?

Maybe the devs wanted you to be able to sprint as long as you need to as long as you spam the sprint key (with the consequence of extremely tiring out your character)?

Has anyone asked BI, or reported this as a bug to get their opinion?

• Sapphire

I wouldn't say so, because everyone can do it if they wish to. And now you've shared this, I'm sure a lot will! :( No more winning races for me :(

It is an exploit. It is meant to be used to run fast for short periods of time in mods like ACRE. But people have found a way to exploit and glitch it out by also repeatedly taping W.

Although I can't say I don't use it, it is basically the definition of an exploit.

• MVP

You don't even use it when you are alone and have to run from like Cherno to Stary?

I use it when I'm alone and just want to get somewhere faster, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Yes, I don't use it. I will use the sprint for short period and then run and alternate between the two similar to how my character would run.

Samurai do not train for long distance running. We are short distance sprinters like dwarves...

tumblr_mme4raJPTw1qldvj7o1_500.gif

• MVP

In what way is it an exploit its in the game mechanics and decreases your food and water levels quicker than the average pace. Also its not a unfair advantage because everyone has access to it.

Fair access to creating two bindings that were not supposed to be used together by spam pressing the button to effectively glitch run your character?