Server time (UTC): 2023-02-09 09:00

Age Issue

Guest Frysedisken

Guest Frysedisken

Hi, I was just wondering, is there any possibility that someone under the age of 16 could join the server even though they are mature and capable of roleplay? Would it just cause a lot of problems with fellow players? Sorry for maybe posting in the wrong thread.

• Emerald

This should not be in General Discussion, but in Questions.

Also, as mentioned, exceptions are rarely made, even more so since there are so many people attempting to join.

• Sapphire

Exceptions are very rarely made, but if you can prove yourself, then perhaps this could change.

Guest Frysedisken

Exceptions are rarely made.

Rules are rules my friend...

Yeah I understand. Would be fun to play on this server but as you say, rules are rules. Well, guess it's back to the other servers filled with trolls and bandits. :/

Okay, thanks for everyone responding so quick.

• Sapphire

Unfortunately, we've taken a Zero Tolerance policy with underage players, so I'm afraid to say, you'll have to wait until you're sixteen.

//Moved to Questions.

I didnt realise it was ZERO TOLERANCE i was always under the impression that if they proved they were mature enough and accepted by the community they were granted exception?

I dont think its fair to instantly turn people away unless its ridiculous (like 9 or something) i think they should be given a chance albeit it a small one but a chance nonetheless.

It has changed since then. Too much hassle and not enough Admins around to deal with people trying to prove that they're mature. I doubt any Admin would enjoy spending six hours a day listening to underaged players trying to convince them they're mature.

• Sapphire

It has changed since then. Too much hassle and not enough Admins around to deal with people trying to prove that they're mature. I doubt any Admin would enjoy spending six hours a day listening to underaged players trying to convince them they're mature.

Granted but isnt that the kind of thing you sign yourself up for when your granted admin/mod/GM status or whatever?

Id actually be somewhat happy to assist if you would like...

Perhaps another solution is in order? perhaps a separate way to prove their RP ability and maturity get them to write an extremely long back story or something? it will defiantly show some sort of dedication if they do it maybe?

Not that i want irritating youths on the server *dam kids*

im just throwing out ideas here.

Guest Frysedisken

I won't bother writing a long biography if i know i'm just going to get rejected. I don't see how it is unfair though. If i'm not old enough, I'm not old enough.

• MVP

Granted but isnt that the kind of thing you sign yourself up for when your granted admin/mod/GM status or whatever?

Id actually be somewhat happy to assist if you would like...

Perhaps another solution is in order? perhaps a separate way to prove their RP ability and maturity get them to write an extremely long back story or something? it will defiantly show some sort of dedication if they do it maybe?

Not that i want irritating youths on the server *dam kids*

im just throwing out ideas here.

Any idea requires too much work. I'm sure there are a lot of people willing to help, but there's a reason only admins do whitelists. Staff ranks work with trust and responsibility. Deciding who gets to join the community is a lot of responsibility. It can only be done by a select few.

I don't want to stroke my own ego with that. Just explaining how it is. Other people than admins can't decide who is mature enough to join the community for the exact same reason other people than GMs (and admins) can't decide who gets banned for how long.

People have proposed to assist instead of decide, which is a nice gesture but ultimately means we have to rely on others, which means relying on trust, which is something we wanted to prevent in the first place. If we trusted people enough for that we might as well make them admins.

Let's say though we would have the time to evaluate each underaged newcomer's maturity. The thing with the age limit is that it is based on a preconception: "every person under the age of 16 isn't mature enough". There is a reason people have preconceptions: they're based on the truth. There are exceptions, which is a danger of preconceptions, but we'd essentially be wasting a lot of time just to find these exceptions. Worth it? We've decided it's not.

Compare it to the age limit for driving a car. There are without a doubt people under the age of 18 that can drive better than current drivers that are older than 18, but they're not allowed to drive anyway (depending on where you live). You could say "ah, let them take a test as well, just like 18+ people. If they make it, then apparently they're good enough". But you have to draw the line somewhere.

Guest Frysedisken

Thanks, I guess I'll leave and come back in a year. Perhaps the Standalone will have arrived by then. Well well, thanks for answering my question (and some more).

See you later!

• El Presidente

And by very rarely I mean really rare. In total I think we've made less than 10 exceptions to this rule.