Server time (UTC): 2023-01-27 05:42

Realistic Looting

Lue

Do you like this idea?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I figured I would go ahead and post this into a new thread and see what the general opinion is on this... I posted this originally in another thread; though figured it should have its own discussion.

Here goes:

I like it... but instead of picking one single type of item thats rare, I think everything as a whole should become more rare over time... I think they already did that, however... but what I mean is.. each month, cut the spawn rate down.... little by little until we start to notice that "hey... theres less stuff than before"... REALLY!?... weird.

But, ive been rightfully accused for my desire for hardcore levels in my gaming, so my thoughts on the matter are likely the minority... Most people will say "well you still need the game to be playable, otherwise whats the point."

True.. but during a real outbreak and people looting everything, you wouldn't be finding much in the major areas anymore... Thats what would make things so valuable over time... People with machine guns are wasteland badasses because lets face it... your chances of finding one, yourself, is very rare... you are more likely to find them on some dudes corpse when he met a unfortunate accident out in the wild than to find one in a building that somehow remained untouched after this much time...

Look at when any other disaster happens around the world... like hurricanes and the like... you have looters pillaging and plundering major cities that are affected right off the bat... now imagine months of looting.. what would be left? garbage...

With that being said... I think the game should introduce other loot areas... such as random stashes... campsites... dead bodies... etc... I think you should be able to loot static corpses for a chance to get whatever would make sense for them to have... civillian corpses maybe food... small chance of a backpack... maybe a sidearm.. etc... shotgun maybe?...

Military corpses having a chance to have higher grade sidearms almost always, but random ammo amount (to simulate that they fired off rounds during the outbreak or at zombies before being killed or whatever..)... and by random ammo i mean clips that have literally a chance to have anything from 1-30 round or whatever.. maybe you get lucky and get a full clip.. maybe you get a clip with 5 rounds in it.. tough...

Instead of looting prominent buildings like grocery stores in big cities and always finding stuff, despite it being months after the outbreak... i think static campsites should randomly spawn throughout the map and have tents containing better loot in them to simulate survivors of the initial outbreak making shelters and stockpiling equipment.. this would make far more sense coming across and finding loot than still finding exceptional weapons and such in big cities that should be nearly entirely empty by now...

Just a thought...

• Sapphire

As I said before, +1.

• Sapphire

That copy and paste Lue ;)

You saw what I posted on the other thread and you know I fully support this +1 <3

• Sapphire

This idea would have more worth if you could actually get into every building like you can on arma3 and SA although RP wise it is a brilliant idea

• Sapphire

Why... So... Many... triple dots... Tho? ...

Thinking time! ;)

Nice Hobo avatar Rolle. You thinking of joining us in our meager lives of searching through trash cans for stuff? As for the OP I love the idea. I am so tired of walking into one of the tents in Cherno and finding a high powered rifle lol.

• Sapphire

It's.. How.. He.. Makes... His... Threads.. And... Posts... Really... Long...

Why... So... Many... triple dots... Tho? ...

Thinking time! ;)

This is actually correct lol... It's been a habit of mine while writing (non-professionally).. It helps me simulate my pauses and thinking in between my sentences... It stuck with me and I guess its ultimately a bad habit.. but whateva.

It's.. How.. He.. Makes... His... Threads.. And... Posts... Really... Long...

LOL... its been a ongoing joke that people don't reply to my threads much because in order to do so, you would have to read the mile long wall of text that I've written.

But anyway; to get on topic...

I agree with what Zodiac has said... I've been playing dayz since it came out of its mother's cavernous orifice, and frankly im tired of it being so easy... I loved the hell out of DayZ 2017 when it came out because it was the closest mod to simulate how I felt it should have been as far as difficulty... A mix of Namalsk and DayZ 2017 is the kind of difficulty I have wanted from DayZ for a while... And when I ran my own server, I did run Namalsk 99% of the time...

But anyway... point is... the way things are, I can die.. spawn back in... and run into cherno or electro and find everything I need in one stroll and be ready to go again in about 30 minutes... i've done it.. everyone has....

You want people to value their lives and such more? The answer isnt to introduce perma death... the answer is to introduce a extremely difficult environment to survive in, to where everything hold more value when you find it... Finding valuable tools like matches should feel like you are a caveman that just discovered fire... "UGGG!! MATCHES!!! YESS!! I AM A GOD!!!"

not "hey does anyone need matches?"

"no"

"nope"

"nah"

"got some"

"nada"

"Hey does anyone want this SA58?"

"nah..."

"Nope.."

"No, I have a PKP.."

etc etc...

• Emerald

I was thinking that the amount of robberies will go up... But if the bandits can not get guns this issue may sort itself out...

I was thinking that the amount of robberies will go up... But if the bandits can not get guns this issue may sort itself out...

I would think so... but the harsh reality of the matter is, robberies are going to be sky high no matter what.. even if you gave everyone AS50TWSladderstallnoscope360 and everything you need upon spawning into the game, people would still rob one another just to do it... its not about gear in game right now... I would say maybe 20% of the robberies are out of necessity currently... and yes I made that statistic up on the spot...

Point is, if this made robberies go up, at least the robberies would become more realistic as well... they would have a purpose.. a reason... and a objective... which you would HOPE would make it more genuine and not just to be a d-bag...

But this would open up numerous avenues for realism as a whole...

More realistic looting would bring about more teamwork and pooling resources together to survive... settlements would have a more realistic purpose other than a place to go stick your face in the fire and troll...

Food wouldn't just be a thing people have to take a second out of their day to do here and there "hold on guys i gotta eat".. it would be more like "holy shit im starving to death... I may not survive if I don't find something to eat..."

You will start seeing people stockpiling backpacks full of food because its rare rather than filling their backpacks with a 2nd primary and ammo because all they do is seek out conflict to scrub the floor with someones face after they gain KoS rights.

A more realistic environment will force every other aspect of the game to go into a more realistic direction... nothing has any worth right now in game... people don't trade out of need anymore.. they trade simply cause they are starving for RP... Now think how much richer your RP experiences would be if you had a definite need the moment you ran into another survivor...

Far more impacting than running into someone and being like "oh im good, bro... cya"...

• Sapphire

I am confused as to why people are voting no. If your gonna vote no. At least give us a good reason why not. :P

Its sort of bugging me that people probably reading just the first few lines and going

3CFcHZU.gif

not reading the rest of the thread and then leaving the thread.

Post something for gods sake! Tell people what you think!

• Emerald

I think that it will be good mainly for the fact that it will bring back the need for hunter/gatherers.

For the most part people can just survive by themselves with ease.

It will also make clans think twice about storming a settlement just for PVP if it will be very hard to get that gear back.

I think that it will be good mainly for the fact that it will bring back the need for hunter/gatherers.

It will also make clans think twice about storming a settlement just for PVP if it will be very hard to get that gear back.

it will also increase the crappy RP robberies

it will also increase the crappy RP robberies

Explain?

It would be interesting to be running through a random stretch of forest and come across a dead body and a campsite, after finding nothing in the major city right next to it. +1

Precisely... that would be the natural evolution of the setting... Stuff would be looted out of the major cities after months of survivors picking away at the resources and they would then be pooled into random stashes hidden away where people think they will be "safe"...

Settlements, camps, stashes, etc would be the main places to find supplies....

Hell... people like to reference the walking dead a lot, and so I will mention what we have been seeing in the evolution of that series, too... You don't see them making many runs into towns anymore to find what they need... they've either A.) developed their own camps and food supply with gardening or B.) Find other camps and settlements that have what they dont have or need...

By this time in the apocalypse there would be few things left untouched and even the things that WERE forgotten could likely be;

A.) Expired

B.) Spoiled

C.) Broken (#inb4complexcraftingsystemdemandsandrepairinggadgetsetc)

So where do you go to find things? Other people that have them... Camps... remains of some poor lone survivor that "opted out" or was consumed, etc...

And the suggestion isnt to cut out loot entirely from cities... it is to lessen it to such a degree that its extremely hard to find anything of value within them... and instead, divert loot spawns to new random spawns that would show up as static camps/tents and stashes throughout the wilderness along with bodies and whatever else...

It would get people to venture out into areas they don't usually go to, as well... rather than people just camping around settlements and waiting for the next raid to happen and more reports filing in....

Robberies would increase, but the objective of robberies would improve... you wouldn't be robbed just to be robbed... people would actually be robbing out of necessity and it would make it more real RP wise... People seem to have this idea that robberies should be a rare occurrence?... I'm sorry but even in a "civilized" world, robberies are prevalent.. take away law and order and revert us back to tribes of random survivors and you will have survival of the fittest in full force with robberies up the wazoo....

Thats what would make hired guns so valuable... this entire idea, I see opening doors for greater RP in all aspects... Heroes would have more to do.. providing food to those who have little... protecting people and providing passage across the wasteland... Hired mercs you can get to accompany you on your travels to keep bandits at bay...

People would band together and travel in groups to avoid bandits more... you wouldn't have as many lone wolves going about because we wouldn't all be uber badasses able to survive by ourselves ...

That would also make those who ARE able to survive by themselves and be self sufficient feel even more badass cause they don't need anyones help...

So far I haven't seen many legitimate arguments to say why we shouldnt have a system like this and make the game harder... Other than people just like having that easy button to push.

DayZRP doesn't condone KoS... the threat of random PVP is nearly out the window... so what is there to challenge us? Avoiding reports and random banditry? If we made a harder PVE aspect to dayzRP, it would make for better RP and im not sure anyone can really refute that.. im waiting for a real logical reason as to why it would hinder anything besides someone feeling "inconvenienced" in some way....

The camps wouldn't have to be anything grand. Maybe just 3 tents and a fire pit. Also they could spawn like chopper crashes except only on the coast. Like a chopper crash the fire pit could be lit so that people can see them. As for the loot it would spawn with I would say only survival gear (matches,knife,hatchet,etc.) as well as maybe some mid tier weapons like ak and akm variants.

+1 would love to see these alternate looting sites ect, essentially making it more interesting than looting up common spots where everyone just goes for loot. The game would be a lot more interesting :D / ALso like Zodiac said above ^ The camps could just be normal tents around a fire that have some basic supplies, maybe a pisotl or mosin

I am having mixed emotions about this at the moment. On one hand you have realistic looting which ill go great with dayzrp and with its game play on the other you will be looting all day to find these now rare items and robberies will be a more common thing. For example you spend three hours looting and finally find a good weapon, nice supplly of food and drink, and a good pack. Not having that stuff for five minutes a group of bandits approach you and rob you, And after that you are stuck with two options fight back and be reported for bad rp or comply and loose all of that gear that it took forever to get.