Server time (UTC): 2023-02-09 09:10

Robbing people and the RP behind it

I have been robbed and done the robbing but I'd like to know about some of the people who rob for more than food or water when you've had an unlucky run and are slowly dying of starvation.

When you and your band of merry men armed to the teeth and fat off the spoils of others come marching up and hold other people captive, take their items and what not, not a settlement mind you, just random people on a road or in the forest what is the RP behind it? "Oh this guy is here, lets rob him"

I don't have anything against banditry but I'd like to know why so many people are just blindly robbing for weapons when they have better ones.

Tl,dr: Why do you rob people, RP/IC reason.

We (Powder Gangers) rob people and tell them about ourselves.

We ask them to repeat some sentences and tell them to spread the word.

After that we set them free.

Basically I think its a pretty solid reason for robbing someone..

• Emerald

Personally I never rob anyone, but I know why a lot of people do these 'pointless robberies'.

You see not everyone rob for items. Sure they take the items, and sometimes they may do it because you have a good weapon. But it's also to spread their word. If they are a bandit clan, they may want the reputation that you should be afraid of them, hide in bushes when you see them, and tell everyone that these guys are dangerous. It adds to their roleplay to spread their reputation.

Now that's why some people do it. I know for a fact that many people only rob because they're gear hungry. You can't move many feet with a good weapon such as a DMR/FNFAL or any rare sniper without being initiated on by 90% of the server, but that's just how it is.

Most people just like the danger of being hostile, and spreading this 'evil' roleplay reputation for themselfes or their group.

I have so many reasons for robbing people, my group and I will usually only rob people for roleplay reasons. I refuse to speak about them, though!!

And yes... I absolutely HATE the pointless RP script of 'Drop your stuff, walk that way... have a nice day'

It should be punishable!! Rarrr!!!

IC reason: revenge on americans/western people(they polute our sea and held us prisoner on Utes Island), Tactical(spreading fear, we play as somalians and people will notice us and stay clear or come and look for trouble), Competitive(another big group that is dominant needs to take a step back before they become powerfull enough to expell us from Chernarus. Culture reason(we treat others as lesser/Haram we make them fish/cook and fuel for us) Posible hostage situation with ransom involved.

additional OOC reason: It is fun and exciting and it is unpredictable. They can have a large group that is ready to fight. Arma is a military simulator and we try to keep to that. All these nice weapons are not only for shooting zombies:)

If they are private rp reasons I can respect that. It isn't so much the clans that do it that make me wonder because a lot of them state they are military or seek control of the country so disarming people of something powerful does make perfect sense to me.

My confusion comes from billy bandit and terrance theifburg who are sitting next to a road waiting for someone to come by and then just take their stuff send them off on their way and wait for the next person. If it is for the reasons Soren stated well then, I misjudged how well thought out most of these robberies are. I can't help but feel that a fair number of times are people who just see it as something you can do that isn't against the rules, or are looking for noncompliance so they can have a fire fight of some sort.

• Sapphire

My reasoning in game, is the mentality of "If I don't do it to them, they can take that opportunity to do it to me." I don't want to give someone the opportunity to beat me down and take my stuff, so I do it to them to make sure they can't. Most of the time I leave their stuff, but I get the hell out of dodge after I tell them to stay on the ground till I'm out of sight, it's a precaution sort of thing.

A golden crowbar of 15% increased vitality, + 10 melee damage?

Seriously, we rob when there is a need for tools, backpack or weapon. We do NOT rob for AK's and melee weapons.

Also, our RP comes once the robbery is completed and we have moved to a secure area.

*Edit... I've yet to meet Terrance Thiefburg, looking forward to when we do.

• Emerald

I have come to think people rob others who have lower tier weapons because of the fear of getting robbed themselves. If a guy had a AK of some sort and I had a higher tier weapon I would be fearful of him getting in the right position and robbing me.

Sadly the server is full ton of people who Rob first, RP never. Still this doesn't stop me from Rp'ing. I may tell them to drop their weapons but I would let them pick it back up eventually after some RP. I just think of it as a movie and Im acting.

• Emerald

A lot of the time, Brotherhood had RP behind our Robberies. Reasons for our robberies contained:

1. Spread the "We're Brotherhood, we're going to fuck you up" mentality.

2. We're crazy bastards.

3. We're going to make you our slave.

4. We like to torture people.

5. Your gun > Mine

6. Hostile RP is very fun when you're the guy with the gun.

7. You're in an enemy clan.

8. You have car and I don't.

9. I know you, and you were a dick to me before.

Or, if you're Skippy.

10. You have nice pants, and I want them.

11. You have a bicycle. I'll rip your tongue out through your teeth for it.

There's also probably a lot more reasons that Brotherhood came up with, and I'm sure that other bandits can find them better than I can reminisce, and use the one's I've stated.

A lot of the time, Brotherhood had RP behind our Robberies. Reasons for our robberies contained:

1. Spread the "We're Brotherhood, we're going to fuck you up" mentality.

2. We're crazy bastards.

3. We're going to make you our slave.

4. We like to torture people.

5. Your gun > Mine

6. Hostile RP is very fun when you're the guy with the gun.

7. You're in an enemy clan.

8. You have car and I don't.

9. I know you, and you were a dick to me before.

Or, if you're Skippy.

10. You have nice pants, and I want them.

11. You have a bicycle. I'll rip your tongue out through your teeth for it.

There's also probably a lot more reasons that Brotherhood came up with, and I'm sure that other bandits can find them better than I can reminisce, and use the one's I've stated.

Yeah pretty much this...

As long as the reason isnt "hes here lets rob him" I can believe it is perfectly valid, but the only robbery ive ever been on the receiving end of was "hes here, lets rob him" they didnt even get the guns either because they started shooting early and were killed over it.

• Emerald

OR you can be like S.D.S. Tonight they came in Desal, killed everyone who didn't comply and those who complied walked away with their gear. Not all robberies are necessary robberies. And not all raids end up in everyone losing their stuff.

Except they stole my 'nade!

• Emerald

My reasoning in game, is the mentality of "If I don't do it to them, they can take that opportunity to do it to me." I don't want to give someone the opportunity to beat me down and take my stuff, so I do it to them to make sure they can't. Most of the time I leave their stuff, but I get the hell out of dodge after I tell them to stay on the ground till I'm out of sight, it's a precaution sort of thing.

See, to me, nothing good in terms of RP can come from this.

"I rob them so they can't rob me. I leave them on the ground and run away."

Doesn't seem like a very good foundation for interaction. Not singling you out, just saying... you'll never have any decent interactions - robbery-based or otherwise - if you're just running around robbing people because you're scared shitless of everyone on the road.

• Sapphire

See, to me, nothing good in terms of RP can come from this.

"I rob them so they can't rob me. I leave them on the ground and run away."

Doesn't seem like a very good foundation for interaction. Not singling you out, just saying... you'll never have any decent interactions - robbery-based or otherwise - if you're just running around robbing people because you're scared shitless of everyone on the road.

I apologize for portraying it like I did, I was actually typing that out while I was at work and in a hurry.

However, some of that point is true. My character is scared, I myself, I don't care if I lose gear, it happens. But it's not like that entirely. I do not run up to people, tell them to throw their shit down and run off, there's interrogation, asking where they're headed too, who're they with, name.. Etc. There's been times where things like that I have done have lasted up to almost half an hour (doesn't sound major, but for a dude not robbing you and just engaging in conversation with your face in the dirt is sort of more extended than it should be.) so I sort of disagree with what you said in a sense. By no means do I just hightail it right after I tell them to throw their shit away, even though I did make it sound like that. But, appreciative of the input.

• Sapphire

I've been robbed a few times, and only one was a good one. The rest were just "drop weaps 10 secs, shut up or I'll shoot you, run away."

Only robbed once, ended up shooting the guy, gave him 20 seconds to drop his stuff instead of the normal ten, and while saying "Ok, just let me set down my hatchet, what is your reasoning behind this?", he pulled out an AKM and aimed it at me. I gunned him down with a winchester. I don't know how he wasn't expecting to get robbed... he was running through Berezino with a flare in his hand... There wasn't time to RP, since he would have done the same if I hadn't caught him first.