Server time (UTC): 2023-01-27 04:44

Counts as bad RP?

First off I just want to say this is not a hate thread/report, Please don't treat this so.

If the clan im about to give as an example have issues with the stuff i wrote please PM/comment here.

So basically this is a thread meant to state my opinion and know what do you guys think.

I have been watching some streams/videos lately and i saw that SVR ask people sing the national anthem of the place that those certain people come from.

Lets say for examples you say you're from Russia, They ask you to sing its anthem.

Now im not saying there's anything bad with that, I really dont..

Thing is that i know some people who arent originally russian pose their character as a Russian character.

*this doesn't have to be from Russian necessarily im just giving examples*

So lets say you're originally from America or from anywhere else and you're character is Russian, No way you can sing them the anthem right?

So i have been thinking, In my opinion most(if not all) of this forum are non Russian speakers, Same in SVR. (Simply my opinion).

So lets say next time I meet up with SVR I start talking Russian to them, Obviously they wont understand and wont be able to reply..

Probably well see a report about this/they will go OOC telling me to stop.

But that's pretty much the same as they are telling people to sing the Russian anthem... Even if the real life person is not Russian.

*I really didn't make this thread to flame/hate on SVR, I just simply took you as example. Drop a message if you have a problem with what i wrote.

*I know that you're supposed to speak English in the servers but this is simply "In theory" thread.

I really want to know what do you guys think about this, Please let me know in the comments!

• Sapphire

Get a virtual audio cable and play the national anthem through your mic job done :P just RP that it was you singing

Get a virtual audio cable and play the national anthem through your mic job done :P just RP that it was you singing

Well yeah i didn't think of that, But it never really happened to me and that's not what this thread is about..:)

Read the second part

• Sapphire

Well yeah i didn't think of that, But it never really happened to me and that's not what this thread is about..:)

Read the second part

Oh i read the whole post i was just giving you a solution.

Also in regards to people speaking a different language it just annoys me to be honest as i play a russian character and when people speak russian to me and obviously i dont understand it they doubt that my character is russian.

Iv just come up with an RP reason of why i cant speak it very well

• Emerald

Well the thing is that we should remember that there is no requirement of languages except English. There is no rule that says "You have to speak the native language of the character you are playing". Of course it adds some flavor when Russian or any non-language words are used if your character comes from non-native English speaking country but using only Russian and/or forcing people to speak Russian or any other language (except English) should be classified as power gaming.

But then again there are those people in RL that don't understand English so why wouldn't someone talk only in Russian. But it's better if we would all be forced to stick with English.

Well the thing is that we should remember that there is no requirement of languages except English. There is no rule that says "You have to speak the native language of the character you are playing". Of course it adds some flavor when Russian or any non-language words are used if your character comes from non-native English speaking country but using only Russian and/or forcing people to speak Russian or any other language (except English) should be classified as power gaming.

But then again there are those people in RL that don't understand English so why wouldn't someone talk only in Russian. But it's better if we would all be forced to stick with English.

I think that people who don't speak English wont be here to begin with..

Thing is lets say I go and start talking in Russian to SVR members, Obviously they will say its wrong and so on..

You could always type *Sings National Anthem* and we will take that as you singing it.

And wont that be... lousy? As a person who can sing the first half of the russian anthem, I would be delighted to sing it IC (im a bad singer, but that another topic). But all the thing with you asking people to sing the anthem to "ensure" they are who they say they are... In some situations its not appropriate.

• Emerald

I think that people who don't speak English wont be here to begin with..

Thing is lets say I go and start talking in Russian to SVR members, Obviously they will say its wrong and so on..

You missed the point it seems.

What I meant is that there could be people in Chernarus that don't speak English at all. Just like there are people all around the world who don't speak or understand English.

You could always type *Sings National Anthem* and we will take that as you singing it.

And wont that be... lousy? As a person who can sing the first half of the russian anthem, I would be delighted to sing it IC (im a bad singer, but that another topic). But all the thing with you asking people to sing the anthem to "ensure" they are who they say they are... In some situations its not appropriate.

It is only if you want to then you can sing but a lot of people do not want to so we can obviously understand this and compensate for it and act the same as if you actually sang it.

Guest John Le Bear

It can easily be roleplayed to avoid such a situation. If I am asked to sing lets say the British national anthem I will say no and explain how I care little for my country, it is simply lines drawn on a map. Your character doesnt have to be patriotic and know the anthem.

I guess when I play DayZRP, i'm mostly a smartass... If someone asked Willy or any of my other characters to sing some anthem they would probably sing some pop song they last heard on the radio and try to play it off like it was legit... hell... the lead singer of screamin fetus claims they play everything from tupac to celine dion...

But I see the point you are getting at here, and frankly, i'm sure I would catch myself doing this if I was a real russian playing a russian character and being interrogated by non-russian players trying to play russians... I wasn't in the situation, and im not sure what the intent was of singing the anthem, but if it was to save your life or not; I would view it as cheap.

Simply because, doing a "*sings the national anthem*" wouldn't really suffice as good RP in my book and I would be sitting there going "wot?"

But thats all whatever... frankly you could ask a number of american teens to sing the US national anthem and they wouldnt know it simply because our youth doesn't care about that stuff quite as much as they did back in the war eras and Thor and Iron Man comic book days with captain america leading the charge, y'know?...

What am I even saying, though? I dunno.

I guess ultimately I feel everyone needs to portray convincing characters in order to do good RP... if you can't portray the characters in a believable way, then you have no business playing that type of character... it would be like someone trying to do a job that is out of their skillset... I don't try to RP russians cause I wouldn't be convincing and therefore I would ultimately ruin RP for someone who expected authentic russian RP lol... Speaking russian to "russian" characters wouldnt be bad RP... it would be awesome...

But im hardcore, remember.... My opinions on RP are a bit more unrealistic in expectations so when I say these things its more of a "if it could be" type of thinking... not a "thats how it needs to be now" type of thinking.

....And I really don't know what I just said cause im still tired. wot?

I guess when I play DayZRP, i'm mostly a smartass... If someone asked Willy or any of my other characters to sing some anthem they would probably sing some pop song they last heard on the radio and try to play it off like it was legit... hell... the lead singer of screamin fetus claims they play everything from tupac to celine dion...

But I see the point you are getting at here, and frankly, i'm sure I would catch myself doing this if I was a real russian playing a russian character and being interrogated by non-russian players trying to play russians... I wasn't in the situation, and im not sure what the intent was of singing the anthem, but if it was to save your life or not; I would view it as cheap.

Simply because, doing a "*sings the national anthem*" wouldn't really suffice as good RP in my book and I would be sitting there going "wot?"

But thats all whatever... frankly you could ask a number of american teens to sing the US national anthem and they wouldnt know it simply because our youth doesn't care about that stuff quite as much as they did back in the war eras and Thor and Iron Man comic book days with captain america leading the charge, y'know?...

What am I even saying, though? I dunno.

I guess ultimately I feel everyone needs to portray convincing characters in order to do good RP... if you can't portray the characters in a believable way, then you have no business playing that type of character... it would be like someone trying to do a job that is out of their skillset... I don't try to RP russians cause I wouldn't be convincing and therefore I would ultimately ruin RP for someone who expected authentic russian RP lol... Speaking russian to "russian" characters wouldnt be bad RP... it would be awesome...

But im hardcore, remember.... My opinions on RP are a bit more unrealistic in expectations so when I say these things its more of a "if it could be" type of thinking... not a "thats how it needs to be now" type of thinking.

....And I really don't know what I just said cause im still tired. wot?

Yeah I could pretty much agree with everything your wrote here.

• Emerald

Well, I kind of take this personal since I'm the one in SVR asking people to sing the national anthem, so I'll explain my point of view.

I do this mostly for entertainment purposes. I like it when people sing the national anthem to me. I've had people from all over the world sing their/a national anthem and some of the results were actually fit to be in a talent show of sorts. It's pure enjoyment for myself personally and of course, hardly a way to prove that you are, in fact, from the country you claim to be.

BUT, it's believable. People know their national anthem and I've seen people reply in all sorts of ways. People took the time for it, looked up the lyrics. I also ask people questions about their country of origin (capitals, famous people, presidents) and people take the time to look the information up (Wikipedia) and reply to me. I know the process behind it and always give people the chance to do that. It gives them the chance to learn more about their story and it creates fun RP for all the people involved.

Also, I've learned a couple of sentences and even listen to Russian music when playing my character. I can reply to some standard questions/remarks quite well. But, when someone puts me on the spot, and actually speaks all-out Russian to me, yes, I am lost. However, I have solved this by doing the following:

There was a robbery on 2 vehicles, the people complied. SVR had them laying on the street, as we went through their weapons. One of the people on the floor told us that he was Russian. I greeted him, spoke to him for a bit (English). Suddenly, the man starts speaking to me in Russian. I was at a loss for words for a few short seconds. But, then I said: "Please, let us be courteous to the Americans here (other hostages) and speak English. It is a language we all understand and I do not intend this to be a private conversation." The guy responded and we kept the conversation in English. It's a way of handling the situation without ignoring him completely.

No, I don't speak Russian, but I am always willing to learn about my character and attempt. I try some Russian sentences which may not be perfect, but it engages me in a story and brings me into character. I believe that telling people to sing a national anthem (or a famous song from that country, I recently told a German to sing 99 luftballons) brings their character to life and brings quality RP.

Lets get this straight. We offer something out of the ordinary, instead of saying "DROP WEPS 10 SECS" and then sending you on your way. Our normal RP as SVR is either we disarm you or not on depending who you are to us. If we catch you breaking directives action will be taken.

Once we have gone through the procedure of of explain who we are, why we are here and why we do this, Why can't we spice up the RP. Have something different e.g singing. I will write some RP here to show an RP scenario in-game.

After a day of teaching civilians about directives, we come across the our last man of the night.

*Alexei lifts the crate of Vodka of the back of the UAZ*

"Comrades how about some entertainment 'eh?"

*The men all agree*

We decided to ask the man to perform for us. If not consequences will be forced upon this man.

*The men sit round the fire while an Efreitor holds the man at gunpoint*

*Laughs and cheers come from the group while they watch the man sing"

Now if you wanted to try something new and develop your RP you would probably use VON and have a fun time.

An apocalypse would not be flowers and chocolate mate. Anyone who would see this as bad RP I would be disappointed in.

I'm out.