Server time (UTC): 2023-02-04 11:56

Need your ideas.

Hey all.

For those of you who don't know, I mainly spend my days studying what is essentially video game design and implementation and am starting to get to the point where I now need to work on my IP for presentation.

The IP (our final assignment) is an RPG, and I've got a particular problem.

I've got four classes, all essentially dealing with several key Western RPG archetypes. Being that the game is a modern era game with the classes being shitty/inglorious jobs, I've picked a job that matches with the common archetypes, while being a little out there in their concepts.

For example

PE Teacher -> The Tank/Warrior Class

Private Detective -> Ranger Class

IT Support Desk Guy -> Mage

and then comes the Ninja DPS/ Rogue Character class where I'm having the troubles with.

Now in my synopses I had this character marked down as an Exotic Dancer. This would work well with a Female character (and don't worry it's done tastefully and is an empowered look at the profession, ask if you'd like to know more) however, it doesn't seem to fit so well with a male toon.

So this is where I'm looking for ideas.

Should I scrap the exotic dancer class altogether and work with a new class that would suit males and females- in which case what should that job be?

or

What would be a good shitty/inglorious job that a man would have that would balance well?

Ideas, and questions would be very much appreciated.

just a few ideas:

Acrobat? (from circus)

magician? (cause they use tricks)

Basically i'm thinking someone in the entertainment industry

The way to make them inglorious/shitty is because they are a failed performance that end up at childrens birthday parties or with everyone booing them of stage.

Is that the kind of thing you were wanting?

just a few ideas:

Acrobat? (from circus)

magician? (cause they use tricks)

Basically i'm thinking someone in the entertainment industry

The way to make them inglorious/shitty is because they are a failed performance that end up at childrens birthday parties or with everyone booing them of stage.

Is that the kind of thing you were wanting?

Some good ideas there

I suppose shitty at their craft isn't the way to look at it, but more very thankless, often looked down upon jobs, the job is horrible because of the conditions, stigma or lack of respect, however your toon is quite proficient at what they do.

Could probably turn those into the one role of street performer.

That was an awesome idea Lucan!

Keep em coming guys

Here's a quote you can use

"The problem with MMORPGs is that due to the classes requiring some skill to perform, it is difficult to find an inglorious job to match as many do not have the same skill set that is celebrated in the public's eyes. The characters are seen as heroes, whereas a garbage-man, who is probably more important to society, goes unnoticed by the majority of people."

Here's a quote you can use

"The problem with MMORPGs is that due to the classes requiring some skill to perform, it is difficult to find an inglorious job to match as many do not have the same skill set that is celebrated in the public's eyes. The characters are seen as heroes, whereas a garbage-man, who is probably more important to society, goes unnoticed by the majority of people."

This, this is what it's all about.

I have mechanics in place to get around the 'skill deficit' issue, mainly, players selecting a glorified job or role, something with notoriety and/or some degree of celebrity and then having something go wrong. Now the background aren't something where that notoriety would follow them long after the fact, but it does give them a certain buff to skills.

Those backgrounds synergize with particular classes well, but you don't have to be for example the ex-soldier turned private eye. You could be the former pro-gamer turned private eye for example. This way, you can have the unsung heroes suddenly get pulled into this adventure where they will remain unsung (always the kick in the crotch) but the idea of suddenly being able to do certain things is at least somewhat overcome by this mechanic