Server time (UTC): 2023-02-09 09:13

Whatever happened to "firefight zone"

I remember when people were let off for KOS if it was an active firefight zone.

I find it kind of ridiculous, extremely unrealistic and just ruleplay over role play that someone has to actually completely risk their life to initiate on someone in the middle of a firefight just because he might not be involved.

Shouldn't there be some kind of firefight zone rule added? I mean people are getting banned for shooting people in a firefight. It is completely realistic for someone to try and save their own life by shooting someone even though they might not be involved. I'm pretty sure anyone would do this to save their life if they were in danger, I mean it's a natural human instinct.

Opinions?

• Sapphire

Shouldn't this be in Suggestions? but yeah its a valid argument if you heard alot of gunfire more than usual i don't think anyone in the right mind would run up to a bunch of people lighting up other people.

I very strongly agree even though I have not found myself on either end of this situation. There also have to be roleplay reasons this new rule will not apply if this is added. Unarmed people for example. You would not shoot someone you didn't know unarmed.

Also I think any order in a "firefight zone" that is not from an ally can be assumed hostile by both sides and treated like an initiation for roleplay reasons. Of course in a firefight almost everything is hostile and irl you would not be able to think, a good roleplayer will show this.

I was talking about this today in discussion over this report http://www.dayzrp.com/t-formal-s2-rdm-misidentification-at-sgru-turn-27-11-2013-22-40

in this situation I would have given the order to immediately return fire or break contact(breaking contact does not mean walking away gun lowered). To me rping as a leader you have to put the safety of your men first, and when your men's lives are threatened you take what ever possible action to save them. This does not mean firing indiscriminately, but this does mean that if my men are in contact and you pose an immediate threat (i.e aiming at my men with full capability of lethal contact) I will take your life or order to do so..

I kinda agree but sometimes you just show up not knowing there's a fire fight going on.

Like today,there were a fire fight at altar and we were driving on the dirt road and there where a couple of people in the trees and they just told us to continue but if this rule was implemented they could've shot us at spot and we didn't even know that the fight was happening.

I don't agree with you only because if this was implemented their would be so many people that would use the excuse "I was in a firefight". I completely understand where you are coming from but you just got to be careful now as it has got a lot stricter.

I got shot 3 times at Altar since i came here(one accident; one fight,because i decided to fight back as Lewis arrived and one "oops,sry").Everytime in a firefight between some groups.Clan´s should think about better skins for themselves or a better communication(!) and movement/overview if they want to fight each other.Most heard excuse: you looked like a member of clan-xy because you wore mercenary10,5 or whatever...+1 for a "combat rule" to prevent civilian casualties.Red smoke grenades thrown by the guards as warning for others could work too(just a suggestion and there are enough of them at Stary Sobor).I don´t want people banned for that kind of "accidents" but perhaps a reset or...he´s wanted for murder for the rest of the day

• Sapphire

I got shot 3 times at Altar since i came here(one accident; one fight,because i decided to fight back as Lewis arrived and one "oops,sry").Everytime in a firefight between some groups.Clan´s should think about better skins for themselves or a better communication(!) and movement/overview if they want to fight each other.Most heard excuse: you looked like a member of clan-xy because you wore mercenary10,5 or whatever...+1 for a "combat rule" rule to prevent civilian casualties.Red smoke grenades thrown by the guards as warning for others could work too(just a suggestion and there are enough of them at Stary Sobor).I don´t want people banned for that kind of "accidents" but perhaps a reset or...he´s wanted for murder for the rest of the day

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-request-for-a-change-in-rules

go to that page mate we are currently talking about that kind of stuff.

I got shot 3 times at Altar since i came here(one accident; one fight,because i decided to fight back as Lewis arrived and one "oops,sry").Everytime in a firefight between some groups.Clan´s should think about better skins for themselves or a better communication(!) and movement/overview if they want to fight each other.Most heard excuse: you looked like a member of clan-xy because you wore mercenary10,5 or whatever...+1 for a "combat rule" rule to prevent civilian casualties.Red smoke grenades thrown by the guards as warning for others could work too(just a suggestion and there are enough of them at Stary Sobor).I don´t want people banned for that kind of "accidents" but perhaps a reset or...he´s wanted for murder for the rest of the day

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-request-for-a-change-in-rules

go to that page mate we are currently talking about that kind of stuff.

will do,thank you

Of course it would be stupid to shoot unarmed people as they aren't much of a threat, but there has been many ocasions where someone is actually being aimed at in a firefight and to save his own life he kills him but then gets banned for KOS. This is what I find ridiculous as it is cimpletely within RP to do this.

When settlements are being attacked by groups of random civilians it makes a real need for this type of rule as it becomes not only impossible to distinguish attackers from innocent civs. It also becomes unfair to settlement defenders as they are unsure if they can shoot. If they shoot they risk the ban and if they don't they risk it being an attacker that can then get a tactical position on them. When you add to this clans that use civvies in the attack as part of the directly involved individuals makes it bad as well

That is the reason civs coming into a firefight zone, getting killed, then report is ruleplay over roleplay in my opinion

• Sapphire

I was investigating gun shots......... sigh (=,=), I saw dead bodies and decided to loot it. I shouted 'fwiendwy fwiendwy!!!' And got kossed from far!

This.

This is 90% of civs around Desal when there's an attack going on.

They rock up going, "fwiendly! No shot pls! Y IS I BEING SHOTTED AT?!? Tyme 2 rite report"

I swear there's just an area around Desal where people's intelligence levels just go down to zlitch.

• El Presidente

Keep in mind that some of these deaths are illegitimate, for example when clans try flanking each other, are on the move, there are no shots fired and they kill a random guy who wandered into the area. He didn't hear any shots or any warnings, yet the clans will argue that it was a "firefight" zone and it's a legit kill.

This rule gets aboosed both ways.

Current state: people dont care when there is a fight going on that they are not a part of. They just walk straight in there yelling FRIENDLY! and think that is ok. They never once think that there might just be snipers left in the fight further out then 80m. Their attitude are, I eighter get fat loot or get KOS'd and then I can report them

New rules: the poeple in the firefight "zone" kill all they see and abuse the firefight/free KOS rule.

We would need something like you have in paintball, hold your weapon up and nobody shoots at you.

With that we would at least not have the problem, that civies, that are in the firefight area, when it starts get shot, while trying to run away, only because an overwatch thought they were changing positions.

Of course that could again be abused....

• Emerald

Everytime I am in a firefight I either get killed by a supposed civ or I kill anything that moves. Luckily, I havent killed anyone not involved, but I can agree...no shots in 5 to 10mins...innocent people will die. But those that 'investigate' shots and wander in should be considered hostile.

Keep in mind that some of these deaths are illegitimate, for example when clans try flanking each other, are on the move, there are no shots fired and they kill a random guy who wandered into the area. He didn't hear any shots or any warnings, yet the clans will argue that it was a "firefight" zone and it's a legit kill.

Sure this is stupid, but people are being banned for shooting someone who literally runs into the middle of a firefight and even takes position and aims at someone involved in the fight and wonders why they get shot?

I don't see any rule that would make firefights actually work in DayZRP.

ATM it's nearly impossible to have one without getting reported and even if some kind of rule were to be implemented there would still be problems. I don't think firefights will ever work on this server.