Server time (UTC): 2023-02-04 12:44

How to find an enjoyable role playing experience

• Sapphire

Hello,

This is just a quick opinion piece that I hope could have to ability to reach even just one person, and improve their experience in the game as a whole. Thanks for your time!

So, let's address the problem, identifying with a character in-game can be massively difficult. We often find ourselves at the mercy of frustrating game mechanics or other poor RP'ers. To be able to slip into the mentality of your character has power to not only improve the story impressively but to spread among other players you meet, like some kind of wonderful brain controlling virus.

Genuinely identify with your character:

Become concerned for your character, be it having to consider fleeing a robbery or entering a dangerous area, try to find that rooted sense of anxiousness that truly lets you make decisions for his/her well being.

Don't consider what your character would do, consider what you would do:

Granted different characters one creates may have different personalities, it's still so vital to remove this 3rd person bollocks, even from your own speech patterns. If at any point you ask yourself something like this "They haven't done a damned thing to me... but their supplies could keep us alive for weeks..." and have a very real and personal moral conflict, then you are doing absolutely brilliantly.

The sever rules are there for your benefit!:

Along with keeping the peace, the server rules provide a fantastic template to both help you stay in character and improve your role playing experience. Here's a link: http://www.dayzrp.com/rules.php

Enjoy yourself.

Take away from the game not the mechanics, or the action, but the memories. Appreciate the great stories that have been told and the ones that will be yet. Those moments of grandness and woe, hilarrity and madness, those are the moments that make it all worth it.

I leave you with someting a man said to me, I met him only for a breif moment but still I find it profound.

If your character is wicked create pain. If he is powerful embrace it. If he is broken, remember it. And if he is kind, a hero, stop it.

-George R. R. Martian, London 2012

Kindest Regards,

Liam

• MVP

//Moved to Guides & Tutorials

Nice guide, but the real problem is how you identify with your character. Personally I realize what I should do in-game, but actually doing it is another matter, especially in scenarios where I have to think on my feet. At that point, often I'm making decisions as myself which might totally contradict the personality of my character.

Making characters that have a similar personality as me help with that, but it's not very original.

• Sapphire

Nice guide, but the real problem is how you identify with your character. Personally I realize what I should do in-game, but actually doing it is another matter, especially in scenarios where I have to think on my feet. At that point, often I'm making decisions as myself which might totally contradict the personality of my character.

Making characters that have a similar personality as me help with that, but it's not very original.

Thanks for the move, and I totally understand. What find I find is solution is to feel the importance of the situation, the epic scale. Telling yourself we need to assault their camp isn't nearly as good as telling yourself "When night falls, we will take what is ours, for the ones I care about, for our survival."

• MVP

Thanks for the move, and I totally understand. What find I find is solution is to feel the importance of the situation, the epic scale. Telling yourself we need to assault their camp isn't nearly as good as telling yourself "When night falls, we will take what is ours, for the ones I care about, for our survival."

Alright, will try that. Thing is though, when I have time I have no problem coming up with stuff like that. In-game, when directly and unexpectedly confronted by someone...? That's another matter entirely.

• Sapphire

Alright, will try that. Thing is though, when I have time I have no problem coming up with stuff like that. In-game, when directly and unexpectedly confronted by someone...? That's another matter entirely.

Which is why, when you do something great, something clever, something profound (which you will find yourself doing more and more I'm sure) then it really sticks with you
  • MVP

Which is why, when you do something great, something clever, something profound (which you will find yourself doing more and more I'm sure) then it really sticks with you

That is true, but in contrast other situations seem to be dull, static, lifeless. When someone asks you out of the blue how your mother is doing, what do you say? How would you answer? Even considering you have already thought of that part of your backstory, coming up with an emotional response then and there is something I've always had difficulties with.

Then again, I guess everyone has experienced being dumbfounded on the spot and later slapping themselves for not replying with that witty comment they just came up with. It happens IRL, and it happens even more so IC. That's when roleplaying becomes acting I suppose.

• Sapphire

That is true, but in contrast other situations seem to be dull, static, lifeless. When someone asks you out of the blue how your mother is doing, what do you say? How would you answer? Even considering you have already thought of that part of your backstory, coming up with an emotional response then and there is something I've always had difficulties with.

Then again, I guess everyone has experienced being dumbfounded on the spot and later slapping themselves for not replying with that witty comment they just came up with. It happens IRL, and it happens even more so IC. That's when roleplaying becomes acting I suppose.

Aye, and if it's any consolation in the zombie apocalypse I'm sure there are some very crazy wandering vagrants who say things that make little sense.