Server time (UTC): 2023-01-27 04:45

The 5 Second Rule

RainOfPearls

• Emerald

What is the 5 second rule, you may ask...

Lately, there has been an outbreak of something worse than the zombie virus. There has been an outbreak of immature little children who cannot be bothered to read and comprehend the rules that we live by on these servers.

So, I am creating the 5 Second Rule. It is very simple, and it is a code I will live and die by.

If someone initiates on me with less than at least a 10 second minimum compliance time, I WILL NOT COMPLY.

I will record. I will shoot. I will report.

So, if you intend to rob others, make certain you read and fully understand both the Main Server Rules and the Supplemental Server Rules, if you expect me to comply. It is everyone's responsibility to uphold the rules, and to report those who choose to ignore them.

Join with me, and show these people that we will not take their ignorance lying down. Put a bullet between their eyes and a report on the forums. The good ones will learn, and the bad ones will be carved from our community like the cancer they are.

If you are offended in any way by this post, well... join the club. I am offended by the disrespect these people show towards the community I have come to love, the servers that I enjoy playing on, and the efforts of the staff to provide an enjoyable ROLE-PLAY experience for all of us.

*** EDIT ***

While this does work in-character for myself and my playstyle, obviously you should still comply if you are in a position where you cannot get out alive. Try to avoid breaking your RP to do this. Do not break rules yourself to punish rule-breakers.

If you cannot kill safely, or it would break your role-play to do so, stick to record and report.

• Diamond

What is the 5 second rule, you may ask...

If someone initiates on me with less than at least a 10 second minimum compliance time, I WILL NOT COMPLY.

I will record. I will shoot. I will report.

+1

• Sapphire

100+.

You will end up getting reported.

You really can't break rules because others are bad at the game, or breaking rules themselves. This will end in chaos if everybody had that mentality.

'DROP YOUR FUCKING WEAPON NOW, WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED!'

'Sprays randomly whilst talking about sex'

They didn't tell me any consequences so I didn't value my life and sprayed like a lunatic.

It just won't work! THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

• Sapphire

Good idea +1

• Emerald

You really can't break rules because others are bad at the game, or breaking rules themselves. This will end in chaos if everybody had that mentality.

They didn't tell me any consequences so I didn't value my life and sprayed like a lunatic.

There is no rule forcing you to comply with demands. In fact, when someone breaks the rules like this, it is not even a valid initiation. If they shoot you for not complying with their 5 second initiation, they become not only guilty of a bad initiation, they are then also guilty of RDM.

I fail to see where you get 'Sprays randomly whilst talking about sex' from.

your idea seems a very immature, if someone else breaks the rules that doesn't mean you can, i say this is highly unadviseable to do as you will probably get banned. I just see that you're quite butthurt to be honest...

There is no rule forcing you to comply with demands. In fact, when someone breaks the rules like this, it is not even a valid initiation. If they shoot you for not complying with their 5 second initiation, they become not only guilty of a bad initiation, they are then also guilty of RDM.

I fail to see where you get 'Sprays randomly whilst talking about sex' from.

False initiation means you can RDM / Not value your life?.. I don't think this rule should be enforced as it will just create more reports, lol.

• Emerald

I have no reason to be butthurt, I have not been robbed in a very long time. I generally stay very low profile in-game. I was even at Desal yesterday when it was initiated on by 5 second bandits, and I was never seen or dropped my weapons.

The only thing I could be "butthurt" about, is having to sit there and listen to people who did not give a single shit about our rules or roleplay abusing and killing people I have had the fortune to spend time with. Some of the people in there taught me quite a bit in terms of how to roleplay better, how to be a deeper character, and how to deal with other people and make interesting experiences for everyone.

It is ridiculous to watch people like this being robbed and killed by people who contributed nothing more than "I am a bad man! Drop your weapons 5 seconds! Pew Pew Pew!"

As far as not valuing my life, in my entire time on this character, I have been successfully robbed a total of two times, where I chose to comply due to very bad odds. Every other time I have killed all or some of the robbers and escaped with my life.

I have been robbed many times before and people have said " drop your weapons you have 5 seconds..." but every time they have given me longer than they have actually said , which has made me comply quicker , i dont go running off to the report discussion area to make a report because they have said 5 seconds because as long as they give me my 10seconds then whats the problem , most people say a less time but give you the full 10seconds... it takes about 3 seconds to open the gear menu and drop your primary this just sounds like you want to make a bunch of reports on people that in the end may give you longer than they have said... why not record and report if they dont give you your 10seconds rather than not seeing the whole of the situation and how long they are really going to give you.

I have been robbed many times before and people have said " drop your weapons you have 5 seconds..." but every time they have given me longer than they have actually said , which has made me comply quicker , i dont go running off to the report discussion area to make a report because they have said 5 seconds because as long as they give me my 10seconds then whats the problem , most people say a less time but give you the full 10seconds... it takes about 3 seconds to open the gear menu and drop your primary this just sounds like you want to make a bunch of reports on people that in the end may give you longer than they have said... why not record and report if they dont give you your 10seconds rather than not seeing the whole of the situation and how long they are really going to give you.

This. As long as they don't actually shoot you in 5 seconds, they didn't do anything wrong.

IMO this sounds like someone just wanting to get people who rob him banned.

• Emerald

If you were to search my username in the Formal and Report Discussion forums, in my time here I have made a grand total of 4 discussions, and ONE formal report. I have even chosen not to take Discussions formal as the person who was clearly in the wrong convinced me that he was sincere and had learned from his mistake.

I do not want to get people banned. I want people to play by the rules, and learn to play better. I want people to respect what this server is meant for.

This behaviour has popped up a LOT recently, and should not be tolerated. The only way it will change is for people to record and report.

From my perspective, yes, if I am completely surrounded, I will still comply. I do not intend to die. However, from my experiences ingame, unless the initiators have a clear and massive advantage over myself... I would rather trust my skills with my weapon, rather then trust someone who is flagrantly violating server rules... with my life.

If you were to search my username in the Formal and Report Discussion forums, in my time here I have made a grand total of 4 discussions, and ONE formal report. I have even chosen not to take Discussions formal as the person who was clearly in the wrong convinced me that he was sincere and had learned from his mistake.

I do not want to get people banned. I want people to play by the rules, and learn to play better. I want people to respect what this server is meant for.

This behaviour has popped up a LOT recently, and should not be tolerated. The only way it will change is for people to record and report.

From my perspective, yes, if I am completely surrounded, I will still comply. I do not intend to die. However, from my experiences ingame, unless the initiators have a clear and massive advantage over myself... I would rather trust my skills with my weapon, rather then trust someone who is flagrantly violating server rules... with my life.

The thing is, you're basing this decision all on OOC knowledge and things that your character shouldn't know anything about. There are no, "server rules" IC, and the fact that you're willing to disregard your character's life on the notion that "I can report this guy!" IS no value for life and borderline metagaming.

This "movement" you're trying to start is idiotic.

• Sapphire

undefined

I have been robbed a few times lately and it takes me under 5 sec to drop weapons. People just delay to radio as much intel as possible before they loose the radio. Robbers are just tired of the stupid things they hear when people try to delay where the victim try to get the upperhand back.

When somebody breaks rules or goes OOC it is best to carry on with your roleplay and IC actions as best you can then make a report after. The only exception I see to this is excessive trolling at settlements.

Precisely this. OP your suggestions come across a little immaturely. Combating a rule break with Bad RP isn't the way forward. As Reptile449 in particular stated here. Let the action take place, stay in character and then look to report it.

People should obviously be giving a minimum of 10 seconds, the thing is, the solution your brining is just destructive to roleplay, which is the one thing you highlight many times in your post that you're looking to uphold.

Let the situation play out, record and report it if you feel it's unfair and they haven't upheld the rules. Dealing with it in-game in a vitriolic way isn't the way to handle it. Some people may utter 5 seconds in the heat of the moment and will probably end up giving you more time to comply than they've stated. Calling them the 'cancer' of this server isn't the kind of message we want to promote here.

Guest John Le Bear

If you did this while I was robbing you with friends I would report you for bad roleplay.

Just because someone says five seconds it doesnt mean you will be shot after those 5 seconds. I have been robbed plenty of times where I have been told I have 5 seconds, even though they have gave me 15-20 seconds to comply.

Your whole argument seems idiotic and fueled from OOC hate towards bandits. To anyone who reads this I strongly advise you do not do what the OP said. Just let the robbery play out, if you wish to comply then do so, if you are shot because it took longer than five seconds make a report for false initiation and RDM. If you are not shot, enjoy the roleplay that will follow. If there is no roleplay make a report for failure to roleplay during a robbery (just made one myself).

I actually robbed someone on a alternate character last night and never once made mention of a time limit for them to do what we asked... In fact, I specifically didn't even tell them to drop their radio or backpack or anything besides their weapons...

Why?

Because i'm trying to go about it from a RP standpoint and I would hope that my victims would also go along with it from a RP standpoint.... To emphasize on this a bit (oh here we go again)...

See, if im robbing someone and tell them to stop right there and drop their weapons or i'll pop em good and they comply, I have nothing to worry about besides a radio now... But instead of doing the scripted "oh drop all your stuff or be shot" I let them decide how they want the situation to go... Do they want to be a cheap bastard who radios his friends despite me standing a foot away? fine.. how can I stop that, even if they did drop their radio?... if they are that kind of person, they will tell their friends they are being robbed whether they have a radio or not...

I look at it from a real life perspective, even if this is a video game and not real life (yes i understand)... But if I was held at gunpoint in a dark alley way and being told to drop my wallet or somethin... do you think I could reach into my pocket and pull out my iPhone and dial 911 and talk to a dispatcher and call for help without my robber noticing? No.. I think not.. so, I, personally would not do this to a robber and I give people the benefit of the doubt to treat my robberies the same...

I do what I need to do to secure the immediate safety of ourselves.... drop the weapons...

I then have them move away from them and stay put while we do some chitter chatterin and what have you... I've learned from my previous robberies done to me, that when the robbers tell me to drop my shit and go hide in the corner while they pilfer my stuff, its extremely boring... SO I try to spark up dialogue with my victims as much as possible and keep them engaged... get to know them... ask them questions... where they headed... etc...

If they seem like they are playing along well enough, I would consider dragging them off as a captive and extending the RP a bit more... if they seem a bit moody and contribute little to the situation RP? I take what I want and tell them to buzz off and dont come back ...

Basically I try to avoid the whole "you got this much time to comply or else" stuff... I leave it open ended... I think if i simply say "do this or im gonna pop ya good" is enough to get the point across... in my mind ill be counting the time it takes for compliance and if it exceeds over 30 seconds then i might go ahead and take them out cause im gonna assume they are not in it for the RP and are just sitting there on TS telling their buddies where I am while ignoring me... I think thats plenty kosher in my book..

• Emerald

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-bhm-black-hat-militia-recruiting

The Black Hat Militia will not comply.

I find it interesting that there can be entire clans with the policy to not comply, yet it would be bad roleplay for my ex-soldier character, who despises bandits as the scum of the earth, to prefer to shoot his way out of any situation where he suspects the other party may be more interested in killing him than letting him leave alive.

My character has always had a very low tolerance for people being stupid. He has broken people's legs just for "firing a shot to get your attention". He has killed his way out of 2/3 on 1 robbery attempts.

While this may not be a suggestion that would fit everyone's roleplay, with the amount of "super badass spetsnaz delta force special forces" characters around, I quite suspect it would fit quite well with their already existing roleplay.

There has been a total of two times where I complied. Once when I was so low on blood I was passing out every 10-30 seconds, and once when I was surrounded by approximately 6 people who's locations I did not know. I'm not going to resist against overwhelming numbers, or a very bad tactical situation. However, if you come at my character with your 1-2 friends out in the open, with your puny AKs... Well, I roll with weapons that make very big holes.

Obviously the "Do not comply" part would constitute bad roleplay for some people, but the rest of it still stands as valid for them.

Record. Report. Do your part to make this server better.

Agreed Lue. I personally find the way people sit there and count out the seconds aloud till they kill you to be rather distasteful. I have rarely initiated, but when I do so, I have never mentioned a time limit, instead repeating my demands more forcefully if they appear to not be in compliance. If I see them starting to do what I demanded, I'm not going to shoot them simply because it's 15 seconds and they haven't quite gotten their pistol on the ground yet.

When I hear people counting down, all I hear is "Only x more seconds till I can kill this scrub!!!!"