Server time (UTC): 2023-02-04 13:04

Civ Initiations on settlements

PublicVoodoo

Should it be only Clans that can initiate on a settlement?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Legend

Just wondering what everyones opinion is with this.

Should there be a rule that only accepted Clans can initiate on settlements?

Recently at Altar [and im sure other settlements] we have had a lot of Civ initiations. These usually end up with civs standing next to a CR and instantly gunning them down before the CR knows whats happening.

We have had to deal with a lot of reports due to bad initiations by civs and KOS/RDM.

Im sure if this rule was implemented it would help a lot in terms of RP and Reducing reports.

• Sapphire

As long as they have a valid RP reason to attack im all for civs attacking.

But the way they do it where mid conversation with a CR they just shoot them so they have less trouble is disgusting.

Also i don't think restricting it to clans only is good for the server because it discourages solo play.

However im going to vote yes because solo civilians shouldn't be intiatating on camps anyway

• Legend

But the way they do it where mid conversation with a CR they just shoot them so they have less trouble is disgusting.

Also i don't think restricting it to clans only is good for the server but it discourages solo play.

Yea ok I understand this and ill go with what you said if a Valid RP reason then fine.

• Sapphire

^ This.

Although I can see where you're coming from, although I have never been a CR I can see how it'd be a huge problem, my only problem with this would be that it would limit 'roleplaying' in some situations - like a civilian has been pushed around and get's angry, if you get me.

Why someone would want to attack Altar by themselves, is beyond me anyways!

• Sapphire

I have recently changed my stance on this to agreeing that only clans should be able to initiate on settlements because I have seen people that are all alone initiate on a settlement full of people and it is just stupid and should be punishable for more then no value for life.

• Sapphire

^ This.

Although I can see where you're coming from, although I have never been a CR I can see how it'd be a huge problem, my only problem with this would be that it would limit 'roleplaying' in some situations - like a civilian has been pushed around and get's angry, if you get me.

Because there looking for easy ways to PVP people is the only thing i can think of

The way they go about it as well where the intentionally dont talk to people so they arnt noticed and just run into the towers and positions whilst people are busy RPing and line up easy shots on CRs is just appalling to be honest.

• Sapphire

^ This.

Because there looking for easy ways to PVP people is the only thing i can think of

The way they go about it as well where the intentionally dont talk to people so they arnt noticed and just run into the towers and positions whilst people are busy RPing and line up easy shots on CRs is just appalling to be honest.

Yeah, that shouldn't really happen! Ah, if people want PvP, Overwatch is there! Haha :)

• Titanium

All initiators should have to be outside of the camp to initiate.

• Emerald

Sounds good.

The largest problems I have with civ's initiating is that 1 they all wear different clothes and if only one initiates the defenders have no idea who to kill causing large confusion.

2 when people initiate in the wrong way and get away with it after being reported where evidence is shown that it indeed was wrong.

Hmm, now that would be a little bit over the top.

My stance is, yeah if civs have a VALID reason to attack then by all means do it, BUT, and this is where you come in Pixel, if you are civs initiating on a camp, you either have to be outside, or somewhere where you can't be seen inside the camp, therefore stopping CRs from getting gunned down from civilians inside that they thought were...just civilians.

The other day, one of my friends was very badly initiated on. The man told him to drop his weapons and instantly shot him. But that's not the point, the point is he later on, went up to Altar Castle, and initiated on the whole camp, by himself. Now, in real life, would you, go up to a castle, with a lot of people in, by yourself, and rob people, who are mostly armed? No. So I think there should be a certain amount of people attacking the castle at once. Like at least five or so. Doesn't matter if they are civilians or not, just depends on the number of people.

If civilians inititate on a settelment, they ALL need to initiate seperatly. One person can NOT do it for the rest of the group. That is why u give them (civilians) 10 secs to drop weapons, or they will get shot (CR rules imply here I guess).

I don't agree with this at all. I know some of this is aimed towards me robbing the camp twice now.

I think, it's all about tactics, if you're good enough to set up inside the camp... then why not rob it, I'mma arms dealer after all.

What I think CR's should do, is scream if any civs are seen with a weapon they die, that way they know they can shoot anyone with a weapon, even if they didn't initiate, it'd clear alot of confusion.

• MVP

Im actually inclined to agree with this suggestion.

It is also something the staff has been discussing recently, although I am not at liberty to say at what way that discussion is leaning and what we'll actually do about it.

There are several problems with "civvies"(or rather, un-clanned people. I dont know why they keep being refered to as "civilians".) initiating on settlements, especielly as freely as they do.

To list some of them:

1. Attack frequency

The first and perhaps biggest problem is that it vastly increases the amount of attacks settlements suffers. As some of you have probably been able to tell, staff considers the amounts of attacks on settlements a major problem, and something we've taken efforts(and will keep taking efforts) to reduce.

With everyone having a free reign to attack as they see fit, and more and more people joining the community fresh off from the public servers where PvP is rampant, there is bound to be trouble.

2. Defense is inpractical

CRs have a challenging role. Frankly almost everyone that's tried to run a settlement and defend it has failed and given up, with perhaps the sole exception for RSM and CLF with Haven. When official clans attack you, in an official capacity, the instructions are often clear and its clear on who to fire at. Clarity makes it easier for the defenders to put up some resistance and ABOVE ALL, and by FAR the most important, it makes it easier to avoid collateral damage through accidental shootings of civilians.

When a rag-tag group of un-tagged "civilians" attack, there's rarely such clarity. People infiltrate and suddenly there's gunfire and initiations flying around. Even people that want to surrender risk getting shot out of mistake when the CR's are forced to employ extreme prejudice to defend their settlement.

Us having increased CR rights in settlements has not been enough to really tackle this quite colossal problem.

A common counter-argument against this is that CR's should isolate and control the civilian population within their settlement once the initiation gets started. While that would help, it is an -incredibly- difficult thing to do in a very chaotic situation.

3: Breaking "value for life"

The "you didnt value your life!"-accusation is one of the key points people tend to jab at each other with, especielly here on the forums and in reports. It has been overdone HORRIBLY, but when it comes to settlement attacks, there is a really strong argument for it.

There's been a tendency lately for very small groups or even INDIVIDUALS to initiate on entire settlements with significantly larger amounts of people. Often these initiators face punishment because frankly, the idea itself is ridicilous, but people keep doing it.

While this would not be 100% solved if we only permitted clans to attack(since clans can attack with tiny numbers too), it would be significantly reduced, as it is primarily "civilians" that stand for these attacks.

Why someone would commit almost guaranteed suicide to attack a settlement when they're outnumbered ten to one beats me, and usually it is one of the clearer cases of "poor roleplay" and "not valuing your life" that we can possibly come across.

So there's that. I am in favor of only permitting official clans to attack settlements, but again I must emphazise that my opinion does not necessarily reflect that of the majority of the staff.

And of course, this suggestion is not without its problems. It would put an even heavier emphasis on bunching people up in clans, and dayzRP is already an incredibly "clan-reliant" community. Still, these attacks are definetly a problem that needs to be tackled, and this suggestion is one of the few feasible ways to do it.

• Emerald

If im running with a group of 4 or 5 people and the people of a settlement have wronged us i think we should be able to attack them. so im going to vote no on this one.

however i dont think a group of randoms should be able to attack a settlement on the basis of they want more gear, or some excitement of a bloodbath.

i dont think we need a rule on it. too many rules spoil the fun.