Server time (UTC): 2023-02-03 16:42

It May Be That Time

(listen to this while reading:

)

I've been giving it much thought for about a month now... I have decided that I am either going to walk away from DayzRP all together or simply take a extended break from playing my favorite character Willy Whiskey Pete

It has occurred to me that as time goes on, certain aspects of my RP have become adopted into the pop-culture of Chernarus/DayZRP and have left me with little to utilize as my own since people are going around (for lack of better word) "whoring" out my stories and tales to the point that they have dried up completely and leave me with nothing to talk about anymore... I could sit here and delve into my endless mind to reel up some more infinite tales of heroic mythical creatures and the like... but when I approach Desal and am barraged with people saying "ITS WILLY!" and "tell us about the merman!" or "tell us about megalodon!" or "Here's two dozen cream cakes for you Willy!"

or perhaps overhearing other people I do not even know, rattling off my stories like they are their own; gets a bit old as well... When I come up to a campfire and overhear people talking about tales of the megalodon and merman and how to properly eat a cream cake (sucking the cream out the middle, etc etc) I get a bit discouraged to even try to RP it any further.

Maybe this doesn't make sense to someone who hasn't experienced their RP being whored out to the point of drying up completely, but to me it feels like people have taken my core-RP for Willy Pete and turned it into a joke to the point where Willy is no longer taken seriously or respected IC.... I know the character is enjoyed and liked OOCly by nearly everyone I have met, but that usually translates into IC stupidity with people dropping their own personalities in order to "be like Willy".

I've seen numerous people give up their entire character stance to "believe" in Willy's stories of pig people or megalodon and follow him on his hunts for grays and lizard people... while these have proved to be immensely enjoyable RP sessions, I sit there wondering what makes these people ICly believe a word Willy says and so accepting to drop what they are doing to pursue a crazy old man's vision?

I can take a lot of the blame myself for RPing the way I do, but I guess what im saying is that I never intended for Willy's RP to turn into a joke; as I have poured everything I have into making his entire character believable and real to people... The voice I use for Willy alone causes my throat to burn in agony after hours of non-stop RP to the point where I swear its bleeding... I went to the store one day and bought two harmonicas in C and G just so I could add more depth to the character as he strolls along the railroad tracks playing his prized harmonica... This in turn became concerts played at the raven's nest, etc etc....

What im continually finding, is that the moment I do something and it catches fire; not too long after, everyone I run into suddenly knows of it or is doing it as well... People I have never met before are somehow knowledgeable about all of Willy's stories, all of his adventures... all of his likes, dislikes, etc.

I have made a number of characters to test various theories on RP dynamic within the community and i've found that when im playing Willy Pete, I have avoided pretty much any and all hostile actions from other players... Nobody will harm him and it seems hes protected by some bubble of "fame"....

Now when I make another character.... this is the kind of RP I get: http://www.twitch.tv/osgoos/c/3313325

I make talk with someone... even friendly... same approach as I would have taken with Willy, but with a different voice... I am asked for a tire out of the blue before any real conversation... no real getting to know the character... just "hey you got a tire?" "why would I be carrying around a tire?" "people carry around tires these days"... oh...

Then im am promptly asked for an ID.... how typical... why can't people obtain names through any other means? Let me throw this out there... Since I started playing DayZRP, I have never once asked someone to produce their ID like this... EVER... I always just simply ask "Whats yer name, boy?"... if they choose to tell me it.. cool.. if they lie to me..cool... thats what its all about.. How am I to know if its true or not? I don't... but thats what its about...

So again, trying the same approach that I have done with Willy... I ask for a piece of paper, as I do not carry ID... who really would? honestly...

I write down "Hog" on the paper cause I already told him thats what people call me... apparently that wasn't good enough so I am asked to drop all my stuff... again... why?

If you were after my stuff, couldn't you have done that before taking the time to have me write my name on a piece of paper? Or was this just to try and figure out if im in a clan and if someone would get KoS rights on you if you did meany bad things to me?... this is what RP is? huh.

So I began to wonder.... if this had been Willy, I bet you anything I would have been let go and told "have a good day old man"... as this has been the occurrences before... I have ran into numerous high-profile, super meany bad bandit clans in the past and always been let go without even a swear word on their part when it was Willy.... I contribute a lot of that to people's OOC knowledge of the character and what hes all about... people know of him ... I dont know.

Basically, though, my point in general is that the RP is growing stale.... I'll say it again, as I always have... I log onto DayZRP to entertain people... I come on here to seek people out to give them genuine RP to the best of my ability and to leave them with a memorable experience HOPING that it will rub off on people so that we can educate new RPers on how RP is supposed to be...

What I end up seeing is people using DayZRP as a standard DayZ game without KoS... It becomes a game of chess on "how can I gain KoS rights on this guy before he does".... Theres rarely an attempt to build character interaction between others and it usually is always tense and hostile situations with people giving short one liners and being standoffish, trying to weasel in that tid bit to gain that KoS on them...

I'm going to admit, I made a new character with the sole purpose of banditry now... Why? because I felt like it was being done horribly wrong by others.... I wanted to give it a go and show people that banditry can be fun as hell ... I want to genuinely creep people out and scare them beyond "losing my gear" ... I was going to avoid the whole "drop your shit in 10 seconds or be shot" like seen in the video above... I wanted to draw it out for a long time... mind F*ck people and make them wonder what the hell is going on... No formal clan... no formal names... no identity... just some random guys that sneak up on you in the forest and sound like the boys from deliverance....

see: http://www.twitch.tv/osgoos/c/3310558

So I guess my summary would be: I feel that people are firstly, stealing the content I have created with the Willy character and that the whoring of his core RP is making playing that character stale for me and I may or may not ever return to playing Willy Whiskey Pete due to this fact... I loved playing the character when he was just that old crazy cook wandering the railroad and the few people he came across would get to sit at a campfire and hear his tales and harmonica... but ultimately I feel like streaming him and youtubing him and visiting Desal to deliver fish ultimately made him more popular than I had wanted.... Now I see people mimicking his voice, his stories, his lines, his manner of speaking, etc... I'm sure many of you have ran into such ones as of late that are "mistaken" for being Willy Pete... Its not a coincidence that the people being mistaken for Willy are the ones that hang out with him the most.

Secondly, I feel that the vast majority of RP style revolves around a game, that I like to call "who gets KoS first"... Where two parties or individuals talk/interact with each other in such a way that its simply a back and forth chess match of who can gain KoS first and kill the other...

Thirdly... IDing people is just become a giant pet peeve of mine and I think its incredibly stupid. Anyone who does carry around their ID still is probably a minority... What happened to conversation and character relations developing before taking actions?... Aren't we here for RP? Aren't we here for stories? Nobody seems interested in anyone else...

If i was in the end of the world and came across another person i would be terrified but also deep down relieved that im not alone... I would talk to them and get to know them... At least I think I would... unless they seemed hostile, then I would hide like a little girl and not let them find me.... not be like "let me see your drivers license, bro... i want to see if you are affiliated with anyone before I initiate on you..."

Ultimately: I feel as though this will be the end of my attempted RPing of my favorite hobo king, Willy Pete... at least for a long while... I think im going to at least let the craze die down and let him become forgotten by the masses before hes lost forever.... another long fishing venture out to sea, perhaps.... who knows... but as I was talking to a buddy of mine, we had this vision that summarizes up my entire feelings on the matter with the following.

The same song from the top:

And picture a montage like this:

(put it on mute with above song playing)

or this:

Now imagine this man is Willy Pete with a manly manbeard and the the view is more of a close up on his face and perhaps every now and then you see smears and splatters of cream cake cream in his hair and eyes drooping and as he is in different places walking away, you see people behind him throwing their hands up and chanting "MEGALODON!" "MERMAN!" "CREAM CAKES!" and cream cakes are raining from the sky and Willy's expression never changes and this goes on forever.

as summerized by my friend:

Friend: that's the problem, Willy is no longer a character - something unique - he's a character archetype that others adopt but add nothing to

Friend: like... mage... fighter... thief... hobo

Friend: and Willy is the hobo you select. you start with an empty can and a will to interact with others

Friend: +1 to conversation

I have to agree... Im not sure where im going with any of this... and anyone that knows me, knows that I write way more than a normal person should write in any of my posts.. but I had to just spew my mind juice out.... Its been really eating me lately and now I feel better.

Discuss if you want.

• Sapphire

Another one? are we going for some kind of record here? (people take note please)

I dont know you but sad to see you guy nonetheless

• Emerald

I only skimmed the thread, but as far as I can tell he's not leaving he's just making a new character. A bandit one.

Good luck, buddy! <3

• MVP

I understand your concerns Lue, and I can hardly disagree with them. You back them up with good arguments.

But... I think your standards are just a tad too high. Can't blame you for it. I might even feel the same way. I'm not nearly as good at roleplaying as you are but we can always strive for perfection, can't we?

The level of roleplay you want though... it's not going to happen. Would it be for the best if it did happen? Undoubtedly. But it's not going to. You know that. I know that. We all know that. Some people (hell, even me most likely) just aren't good enough even if they'd try their hardest.

Either lower your expectations a bit (leave some room open for improvement, because we can always do with improvement), or look for a more hardcore community. I don't want to sound harsh or offensive or push you away, but it's just the truth. You probably figured that out already anyway.

I hope you'll stick around and teach everyone the ways of roleplay! You're not going to change the server to the level of roleplay you want, but you might have an impact. I don't think you'll ever be satisfied though.

v also what Reptile449 said below me.

Don't leave because your character became so popular, that's just a sign of the great RP you have brought to this server! If you think the Willy idea is getting old and people know it too much then just try out something else like you've been doing already, I know there have been some mediocre RP reactions to these characters in game but that's just because you haven't met the good roleplayers on these new chars yet.

If you think you really have to leave I can only hope it's temporary, if not I hope you find something else out there in the big wide world.

Gijs, I hope you don't think im trying to say im perfect or that people should do what I do... that would actually be going against what i've said in regards to people almost entirely mimicking what I do.

I don't think what you said was harsh or offensive, either. I'm a laid back dude and you would have to say some pretty foul things to ever scar me up, but I agree with what you have said... I could lower my expectations, and in a way I already have... I have come to realize the reality of things and I have known that for a while now... I have ran into what I feel the best RPers are and i've done extensive RP with those individuals for months now.

I don't believe im the best RPer. I dont believe that for a second. What I do believe is that I sincerely care about RP more than anything else and that when I log on, my sole purpose is to RP to the best of my ability and to avoid ruleplay 100%... Everyone who knows me knows that the last thing I care about on DayZRP is gear or dying or making it to the leaderboards... I care about portraying my characters correctly and realistically and trying to give people memorable experiences with RP.

Majortom is mostly correct with their assumption that I am not leaving entirely... Im still holding out hope that I can regain my drive to RP here, but I am only going to dedicate my time to something when there is something given back in return for my efforts... If its not fun anymore, then its not fun and there is nothing anyone can do about that when that time comes... What im hoping for is that I can continue to establish these colorful characters in different avenues and be a role model for RP still... Not in the sense of "YOU NEED TO DO IT LIKE I DO" but in a way that shows people that there IS different ways to go about things besides ruleplaying so damn much...

I sincerely hope nobody takes my post as me saying im the best or that anyone should do what I do... infact, im saying that you SHOULDNT do what I do if you read carefully enough... everyone should be unique and that is my major gripe... I know personally that I came here to create something unique and RP characters that nobody else had done yet or to leave a mark somewhere that wasnt there before... That is the only thing I wish people would do "like me" I guess... To aim to view this mod and the RP as a way to make an identity...

Standard DayZ is there all day long for people to go get their wiggles out... DayZRP is here for you to become something else and portray your imagination... So ripping off other people's content and using it as your own seems very unimaginative and adds nothing to the dynamic around us...

I can tell the difference between those who try and those who do not... Even horrible RP that is done by someone who I know is genuinely trying? I love it... I can tell they are trying and I will always ALWAYS ALWAYS compliment their RP by giving them all I got and guiding them in the right direction... I've had some horrible RP come from people who were genuinely trying to keep up and I cherished those moments far more than those who basically didn't try at all and could tell they were just playing this game like DayZ with no KOS.

People who run up to me and ask for a bloodbag or even literally "hey man I dont have anything, I just spaw- err... woke up"...

So I wouldnt say its so much that I have too high of expectations, since I appreciate all genuine efforts to RP no matter who bad it may be... What I dont appreciate is people ruleplaying so damn much that you can tell they arent even here for the RP... this usually comes from supposed "veterans" to the community... I have had better RP from newbies in the last months, frankly.

I guess that would be the root of the problem; not just bad RP, but no ATTEMPT at it.

Well, I've never seen you ingame as I haven't applied for whitelist yet, but I definitely feel you on how this server is sort of just 'drop your weapon in 10 seconds or die'. I'm hoping to make an impact when I join, just like you. Not in the same way, obviously. Sucks I won't get to see Willy in game though!

I'm going to miss the character Willy, I've always loved your visits to desal its been great and some of my most memorable moments on the server so far. my favorite moment would have to be when you drove the bus into the ocean and rped it out so great with animal. Take care man you will be missed.

This makes me sad, I remember when me, Willy, and the Lost boys when on a road trip in my "car" which we called a shuttle, and Willy told me amazing stories. Going to miss Willy, but hopefully your new character will be better. (It will be hard, but I reckon Lue could pull it off somehow.)

Guest Generic Name

I've been playing for about 1 1/2 months and even I can tell the difference between then and now. The level of RP is so damn low, every encounter is ruleplay over roleplay, the amount of reports are going through the roof, these are bad times for DayZRP indeed, I agree.

• Sapphire

I feel ya, wanna RP with Pete now! :D

Good luck man!

I tell you what man, feel free to come and find me some time, and I promise you some amazing RP, no matter what stance you take.

We're out there man, the people looking for amazing RP no matter the situation and not just banditry that's over within 30 seconds.

I ran into Willy once, the day that you leapt off the fishing dock outside desal. I remember you speaking about Zenon, or Xenon or whatever and just being completely speechless, and trying to roleplay through that, and roleplay that across.

I loved it.

Now that say imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I can see where you're coming from too.

If everyone's taking what you make special, it's no longer special for you, and you lose your drive.

All I can say is don't go.

Those who poorly RP will be gone soon enough, the bevy of reports will see to that.

For those of us who care and make an effort. We'll be there, continuing to make an effort, and we could sure as hell use you on our frontlines.

• Legend

YOU SIR, are not allowed to go! Stay!

• MVP

Gijs, I hope you don't think im trying to say im perfect or that people should do what I do...

Nope. Those were my own words. I think you're perfect. Or at least close enough to perfection one could hope to get.

What I was trying to say with my post is that it's gonna be hard for you to be satisfied. It's good that you appreciate effort more than quality. I do too. Maybe that means your standards are lower than I thought. I was just a bit surprised because I've never seen someone complain so in-depth as you just did. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for it. All of your complaints and concerns are totally legit. I was just afraid of what it might mean, that you might eventually leave DayZRP altogether because the things you want to see different are just a tad... ambitious.

Anything I can do to convince you and people like you to stay on DayZRP, I will do. I think you should be able to have a much bigger impact on the community than all those gigantic clans. I guess that's a personal opinion, but I've seen too many great roleplayers stay in the shadows and that's just a shame. The last thing I want you to do is leave because you're not happy with the quality of roleplay.

I tell you what man, feel free to come and find me some time, and I promise you some amazing RP, no matter what stance you take.

We're out there man, the people looking for amazing RP no matter the situation and not just banditry that's over within 30 seconds.

I ran into Willy once, the day that you leapt off the fishing dock outside desal. I remember you speaking about Zenon, or Xenon or whatever and just being completely speechless, and trying to roleplay through that, and roleplay that across.

I loved it.

Now that say imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I can see where you're coming from too.

If everyone's taking what you make special, it's no longer special for you, and you lose your drive.

Those who poorly RP will be gone soon enough, the bevy of reports will see to that.

For those of us who care and make an effort. We'll be there, continuing to make an effort, and we could sure as hell use you on our frontlines.

Well im glad that people at least understand where im coming from with what im stating in this thread... Maybe its not the right place to post it as im not really "leaving" entirely... but I didn't want to just toss it in a forum discussion either, even though thats what it mostly is... The "leaving" part is basically me addressing that I may not ever bring Willy Pete back... its a undecided thing with me... Its possible, if things cool off and I can bring him back after this wave passes.. i dunno...

Willy has touched a lot of people OOC and IC and has left a impact, no doubt. But as you said... it becomes a different animal when your content is taken and abused... I could be flattered with people recognizing Willy, and for a while, it was... I thought it was neat that he could roll up in various places and have people treat him with respect as he became renowned... but over time, I feel that various RP aspects were adopted by people who had no business adopting them the way they did and when people are being mistaken for Willy, you know there is a problem with how far they are taking it...

I've witnessed people changing their voices to sound like Willy... Speaking in the same manner... Using the same lines, even... and while that can be flattering if done right, it starts to become more annoying than anything else after a while...

I strove to make a character that was unique and iconic, but ultimately ended up with nothing more than a DayZRP celebrity character that people practically would take photos with and mimic all the time. Again, I do not blame any of these people and i'm not pointing fingers at them for the reason why im not playing Willy anymore... That is the nature of people when they admire something. I get that.

But it started to feel more like a chore than anything playing him... Like I had some obligation to everyone to "do the Willy"... If that makes any sense at all... Its like people expected this certain skit out of Willy and literally seek me out ingame, just to find me and to try and get him to do the things they saw me do on youtube or on my streams... people carrying creamcakes in their backpacks just so that when they ran into me, they could drop them at my feet and get a rise out of Willy...

I felt like a animal in a Zoo and people were just flocking around him for the lulz (again, which i can totally understand and do not blame them for).

But after a while, that just tired me out and I needed a change.

I'm just debating WHAT I want to do now... I frankly just feel no drive to log in and try at the moment, and it sucks for me... Believe me, I want to have that drive like I had but its been sapped from various bad encounters and the like... I've learned a lot, though, from this entire progression... That I still feel strongly about not recruiting openly with my groups that I create...

I feel strongly that clans that recruit heavily ultimately fail as they cannot keep reigns on their people...

The reason LF was so successful and I loved it so much was because the only people I allowed in were very close friends that i had a long history with and i trusted them with the my baby... LF was my baby... Willy Pete was my baby.. all of it was my brainchild from the start and creating a hobo clan was something uncharted before and I made that a reality and did my best to make this group believable and true to life... It worked because I had the support of great friends that i've known for years and I could count on them to not destroy what I had started and they all added a piece that was unique and quality..

I started recruiting people ingame through in character interactions and I guess I ultimately regret even doing that... While I have met some people that I like OOCly and ICly, some just were not a natural fit for the dynamic of hobos and it morphed into something that eventually turned the whole group into a joke in my opinion... Its a very distinct group and RP type that requires a very specific type of person... trying to force a character into a mold eventually ended up with them morphing into an entirely different character that wasn't their own from the start and never quite flowed naturally ... It started to just feel like people would try to imitate Willy in order to fit that mold..

instead of people having their own great stories to tell, people would tell Willy's stories when I wasn't around... this in turn perpetuated the drying out of my RP content I had created...

its my own fault for being so particular with my RP... and I often had my doubts and concerns about bringing others into my creation and trusting them to carry the torch, so to speak... None of the people I have recruited are bad RPers... And I still sincerely believe that every LF member has been a phenomenal RPer, but I wanted each and every member to be known for their own uniqueness and not simply ride the coat tails of Willy...

I admire clans that can recruit many people and hold it together the way they do and more power to them... but I guess im not one of those clan leaders that can do that... Im just a long-winded fellow who made the hobo king and the hobo nation with a certain intent and always turned down applications due to fear of someone giving us a bad name or wanting to drive our group in a direction that I did not...

Holy shit, I have written another bible here... thanks a lot.

Lol... awww <3 .. I don't think im going anywhere for good... at least im trying not to... i'm hoping that I can find the light at the end of the tunnel through getting some feedback with this particular issue... so far I agree with a lot of points made ...

I know the problem is me... I can bitch about other people's RP or lack thereof all day long, but I cannot change that factor... it has been here since the start and I have been aware of that... and that is not the reason for my post... My consideration of leaving is the result of a buildup of various issues...

Its not just bad RP, as I said... its simply those that do not even attempt to RP ...

The copycat stuff hasn't helped matters either.... I play to seek out other great RPers and share the wealth, but when majority of the RP I run across is people mimicking my own RP it starts to get weird...

I think im going to just try some other avenues and possibly sink out of the spotlight for a while and just see how other characters I create end up being taken by the masses.... I could have a lot of fun with that, im sure...

I still plan to stream, so this may ruin some surprises for some or be spoilers... but I have been brainstorming for quite some time now with some friends on what to do next... While I temporarily retire Willy to the high seas of adventure and stinky old man smells, a few new creations are brewing...

I want to continue to entertain those I come across and attempt to display more great RP on the server... I just hope that in doing so, I can find something to keep my interest here.

Anyone who actually reads my posts in their full entirety, I would like to give you a medal, btw... I know its not easy to do.

I loved it.

Well im glad that people at least understand where im coming from with what im stating in this thread... Maybe its not the right place to post it as im not really "leaving" entirely... but I didn't want to just toss it in a forum discussion either, even though thats what it mostly is... The "leaving" part is basically me addressing that I may not ever bring Willy Pete back... its a undecided thing with me... Its possible, if things cool off and I can bring him back after this wave passes.. i dunno...

Willy has touched a lot of people OOC and IC and has left a impact, no doubt. But as you said... it becomes a different animal when your content is taken and abused... I could be flattered with people recognizing Willy, and for a while, it was... I thought it was neat that he could roll up in various places and have people treat him with respect as he became renowned... but over time, I feel that various RP aspects were adopted by people who had no business adopting them the way they did and when people are being mistaken for Willy, you know there is a problem with how far they are taking it...

I've witnessed people changing their voices to sound like Willy... Speaking in the same manner... Using the same lines, even... and while that can be flattering if done right, it starts to become more annoying than anything else after a while...

I strove to make a character that was unique and iconic, but ultimately ended up with nothing more than a DayZRP celebrity character that people practically would take photos with and mimic all the time. Again, I do not blame any of these people and i'm not pointing fingers at them for the reason why im not playing Willy anymore... That is the nature of people when they admire something. I get that.

But it started to feel more like a chore than anything playing him... Like I had some obligation to everyone to "do the Willy"... If that makes any sense at all... Its like people expected this certain skit out of Willy and literally seek me out ingame, just to find me and to try and get him to do the things they saw me do on youtube or on my streams... people carrying creamcakes in their backpacks just so that when they ran into me, they could drop them at my feet and get a rise out of Willy...

I felt like a animal in a Zoo and people were just flocking around him for the lulz (again, which i can totally understand and do not blame them for).

But after a while, that just tired me out and I needed a change.

I'm just debating WHAT I want to do now... I frankly just feel no drive to log in and try at the moment, and it sucks for me... Believe me, I want to have that drive like I had but its been sapped from various bad encounters and the like... I've learned a lot, though, from this entire progression... That I still feel strongly about not recruiting openly with my groups that I create...

I feel strongly that clans that recruit heavily ultimately fail as they cannot keep reigns on their people...

The reason LF was so successful and I loved it so much was because the only people I allowed in were very close friends that i had a long history with and i trusted them with the my baby... LF was my baby... Willy Pete was my baby.. all of it was my brainchild from the start and creating a hobo clan was something uncharted before and I made that a reality and did my best to make this group believable and true to life... It worked because I had the support of great friends that i've known for years and I could count on them to not destroy what I had started and they all added a piece that was unique and quality..

I started recruiting people ingame through in character interactions and I guess I ultimately regret even doing that... While I have met some people that I like OOCly and ICly, some just were not a natural fit for the dynamic of hobos and it morphed into something that eventually turned the whole group into a joke in my opinion... Its a very distinct group and RP type that requires a very specific type of person... trying to force a character into a mold eventually ended up with them morphing into an entirely different character that wasn't their own from the start and never quite flowed naturally ... It started to just feel like people would try to imitate Willy in order to fit that mold..

instead of people having their own great stories to tell, people would tell Willy's stories when I wasn't around... this in turn perpetuated the drying out of my RP content I had created...

its my own fault for being so particular with my RP... and I often had my doubts and concerns about bringing others into my creation and trusting them to carry the torch, so to speak... None of the people I have recruited are bad RPers... And I still sincerely believe that every LF member has been a phenomenal RPer, but I wanted each and every member to be known for their own uniqueness and not simply ride the coat tails of Willy...

I admire clans that can recruit many people and hold it together the way they do and more power to them... but I guess im not one of those clan leaders that can do that... Im just a long-winded fellow who made the hobo king and the hobo nation with a certain intent and always turned down applications due to fear of someone giving us a bad name or wanting to drive our group in a direction that I did not...

Lol... awww <3 .. I don't think im going anywhere for good... at least im trying not to... i'm hoping that I can find the light at the end of the tunnel through getting some feedback with this particular issue... so far I agree with a lot of points made ...

I know the problem is me... I can bitch about other people's RP or lack thereof all day long, but I cannot change that factor... it has been here since the start and I have been aware of that... and that is not the reason for my post... My consideration of leaving is the result of a buildup of various issues...

Its not just bad RP, as I said... its simply those that do not even attempt to RP ...

The copycat stuff hasn't helped matters either.... I play to seek out other great RPers and share the wealth, but when majority of the RP I run across is people mimicking my own RP it starts to get weird...

I think im going to just try some other avenues and possibly sink out of the spotlight for a while and just see how other characters I create end up being taken by the masses.... I could have a lot of fun with that, im sure...

I still plan to stream, so this may ruin some surprises for some or be spoilers... but I have been brainstorming for quite some time now with some friends on what to do next... While I temporarily retire Willy to the high seas of adventure and stinky old man smells, a few new creations are brewing...

I want to continue to entertain those I come across and attempt to display more great RP on the server... I just hope that in doing so, I can find something to keep my interest here.

Anyone who actually reads my posts in their full entirety, I would like to give you a medal, btw... I know its not easy to do.

If you don't want to leave Willy completely, make him take a fishing trip out of Chernarus, then play on the other person, then when you feel up to it, let Willy return with new stories about what he did while he was away. Just a idea.

Gijs, I hope you don't think im trying to say im perfect or that people should do what I do...

Nope. Those were my own words. I think you're perfect. Or at least close enough to perfection one could hope to get.

What I was trying to say with my post is that it's gonna be hard for you to be satisfied. It's good that you appreciate effort more than quality. I do too. Maybe that means your standards are lower than I thought. I was just a bit surprised because I've never seen someone complain so in-depth as you just did. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for it. All of your complaints and concerns are totally legit. I was just afraid of what it might mean, that you might eventually leave DayZRP altogether because the things you want to see different are just a tad... ambitious.

Anything I can do to convince you and people like you to stay on DayZRP, I will do. I think you should be able to have a much bigger impact on the community than all those gigantic clans. I guess that's a personal opinion, but I've seen too many great roleplayers stay in the shadows and that's just a shame. The last thing I want you to do is leave because you're not happy with the quality of roleplay.

Well, wow... I thought for sure you were raping me with sarcasm, but, wow- okay..

That means a lot, then. Its appreciation like that, that makes me reconsider giving it up... But I still can't shake the fact that I really don't have the drive... I literally woke up one day and looked at the launcher and couldnt click any server... I just felt like I had no reason to log in...

Despite getting numerous PMs and pokes on TS saying "I LOVE WILLY DUDE!!! DONT EVER LEAVE!" or "BEST RP EVER!" and even "LueForGM2014"

I still felt this void in me, like the well was dried up... has anyone else felt that? Like your character is just dead along with your imagination and you feel this obligation not to even log in for fear you will run them into the dirt in front of everyone and people will be like "That was Willy? I thought he was supposed to be funny and awesome and epic, etc etc etc".... That is the kind of pressure i felt, i guess. Like I said... this HUGE obligation to put on a show everywhere I went... Like that human-hybrid chimpanzee that everyone goes to see cause he does that thing!... that thing!...

Its cool for the monkey for a while... cause hell... all these people like him... but then it turns into hell for the monkey after a while.... he grows old.. tired... and after the novelty wears off and people have sold a million stuffed animals of him and copied him from the grand stands, mimicking his moves and saying "LOOK! IM A MONKEY TOO!" day after day... there he is. sitting in his lazyboy, drinking beer after beer with a enlarging belly and a handful of pork rinds..

I dont know how else to describe it... I'm just going to have to find a way around it.

Mate, if I've inspired you to write that down, then you're welcome :D

I can't know what you're going through. I play a decent character who gets recognised after the fact. I don't stream, and I don't have a fandom following me. So I doubt I'll ever know how it feels to be at your point. But what I do know is what I've seen.

IMO there are people who thrive off the fame for the wrong reasons, and thus their RP changes based off those wrong reasons, those who completely do a 180 in order to shrug the fame their character has built,

Then there are those who wonder 'What the hell do I do now?" and actively seek the thoughts of those in the community who are willing to look over the nitty gritty with you.

The first two examples shall remain nameless, you however are the third, and the best kind.

You not only don't want your experience tainted further than what it is, but you also don't want to taint the experience of those you play WITH.

You care about your product, you want to protect your brand, you want to continue in the community. You want someone to sit there and go through the nitty-gritty with you and bounce ideas.

That is the sign of a good person in ANY industry.

Honestly, I'd be pissed too if I felt like a monkey dancing for an organ grinder. I'd feel like giving it all up.

I'm glad you're exploring your options.

Send Willy into the sunset, play someone vanilla for a while, but not just store bought vanilla. Make it the best home made vanilla ice cream infused with vanilla beans served with a sprig of mint character that you know you can do.

Make Willy cease to exist in the eyes of the players and bring someone new in who they won't recognise.

Sure you'll have to deal with the shitty bandits, and piss poor 'Ahhhh! Character interaction-RUN' b.s. that we all have to deal with, but with that said, it gives you an opportunity to thrive as an unknown entity again.

To use a poor analogy: Be Pepsi, but not 'I've been in America for years Pepsi' but be 'The Iron Curtain has fallen and I'm more awesome than Coke and NEW in Russia' Pepsi.

The fall of communism was the best thing for Pepsi, it allowed the company to renew its image in a new market, and then take the lessons it learned to be able to re-invigorate the brand back in its western markets.

Be Pepsi Lue, Be Pepsi