Server time (UTC): 2023-02-09 09:15

Right as we all know DayZRP is built on dodgy accents etc but something about my rp has brought to light maybe what some people may find boring ? So I thought I'd share it here and see what you all think.

Because of where I'm from in England my natural accent is incredibly strong and supremely stubborn so when it comes to me putting on accents in find it very difficult to impossible which leads to all of my characters originating from the same place.

Now juggs is from the city nextdoor to me and even through a voice changer i could recognise his accent this is how stubborn it is lol ( he has a different accent to me but to anybody who doesn't live where we sound the same which does offend us everytine somebody says it so please don't =) )

Would you feel it's poor effort on my behalf to not be attempting accents? because I can assure you no matter which one I try I will still have my black country accent and will barely sound any different

• Sapphire

I don't even try an accent, I just play a character from where I'm from and no one can argue that

Accents are just a plus to your roleplay. I never go on doing them since with the mic I have right now,there wouldn't be much of a difference.

Also it's not something stubborn,like if you can't do it,then you can't. Forcing it might actually damage on what other people hear.

• Emerald

If you're not good with accents, just create a character that's from where you are from and go with that. I see nothing wrong or lazy about that approach. You're not confident with your foreign accents, so you stick to what you know. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I play a Russian character, therefore, I use a Russian accent. I can, for the most part, pull it off because although I'm Canadian I have plenty of Russian family. I hear it all the time. It's a bit easier for me since I can speak a decent amount of actual Russian.

On the other hand, I do think it's a bit lazy to say "I'm German" or "I'm Japanese" with an English accent, because when you don't sound like you're from one of these countries, you might as well not bother, because it adds nothing to the depth of your character.

• Emerald

Accents......got to love em

What Alan said though. They are a plus, but some are hard to do. Even if your real accent blocks any other practice one. That's how I got good at mine.

• MVP

Certainly not. If you cannot do it then it doesn't matter. It should not detract from the experience.

My accent has been diluted by living in previous countries and makes it easier for me to put on others but your inability is certainly not frowned upon.

Perhaps look into creating someone that had their family emigrate to the UK. That way it explains your accent but does not limit the possibilities of the background.

Do what you can and have fun doing it.

There are up points for my accent though as we basically have our own dictionary but it does require me to think sometimes when interacting with people because me coming out with " yow ain't my mukka now drop yer gun and get your donnies in the air " is not really going to get me pretty far lol

But I appreciate the response Im glad that I'm not being considered as idle

• Emerald

There are up points for my accent though as we basically have our own dictionary but it does require me to think sometimes when interacting with people because me coming out with " yow ain't my mukka now drop yer gun and get your donnies in the air " is not really going to get me pretty far lol

But I appreciate the response Im glad that I'm not being considered as idle

Id actually enjoy hearing that.

• Sapphire

Geeh tell me about it, I haven't tried playing a character yet with a different accent but I think it would sound horrible..

I quote Derek Steel here: "You fucking danes sound like you have a potato in your throat"

Thank you Derek, lol, well yeah just no, I do admire people who can pull it off though.

• Emerald

I'm from Scotland and my accent is strong and I talk really fast so people don't understand me, I do have an accent in game but your can still here my original accent thought it. You can use an accent if you want it's up to you, if you enjoy it go for it.

• Emerald

I find them really good. At least people have a good try at them.

• Legend

I can not do accents. I am terrible at accents! So what I do is I build my character around the crappy accent. It makes it feel more original and adds to the story of the character, I build a story about how Staggs was born in American but moved to England with his mum and Dad "To work" but his mum hated to British accent so much she locked Staggs away from society for a long time to make sure he keeps his families accent.

Explaining why he sounds like the idiot he is :P