Server time (UTC): 2023-02-09 09:30

Currency - Silver/Gold

Kraith

• Emerald

Suggestion:

DayZRP needs a good currency. I suggest that gold or silver bars be implemented. You should be able to find these in apartments, grocery stores, and lumber mill/factory spawns.

Usage:

-Trading

-Currency

Benefits:

-A currency survivors use to buy/sell items from other players.

-Fixes example: "Can I get a blood bag" "Yeah, you got AS Val ammo?" trades.

-Provides a steady flow of easy trading.

Usefulness:

The gold/silver can be traded several times without being used up. People who need something desperately can trade gold/silver for it, instead of giving up ammo, or completing outrageous requests.

/discussion

• Emerald
  • Emerald

What value does Gold/Silver has in an apocalypse? Currency is something with value.

It has plenty of value. You sell a blood bag to some guy for some gold, and then turn around and buy whatever you want from another person.

• Emerald

Don't really like it. Sounds like Epoch to me.

• Emerald

Suggestion:

DayZRP needs a good currency. I suggest that gold or silver bars be implemented. You should be able to find these in apartments, grocery stores, and lumber mill/factory spawns.

Usage:

-Trading

-Currency

Benefits:

-A currency survivors use to buy/sell items from other players.

-Fixes example: "Can I get a blood bag" "Yeah, you got AS Val ammo?" trades.

-Provides a steady flow of easy trading.

Usefulness:

The gold/silver can be traded several times without being used up. People who need something desperately can trade gold/silver for it, instead of giving up ammo, or completing outrageous requests.

/discussion

Ill still put in the effort to come back with some counter arguments regardless of my previous post.

You say dayzrp needs an currency, where in my opinion it really doesn't. currently there is no set price for stuff, because it all depends on what the person is willing to give for a particular item.

I know of an instance where a M14 with ammo was traded for a fuel can. this makes stuff interesting and more possible.

Secondly why would there be bars of silver and gold lying all over the country side, where did they come from. Was that the former currency of Chernarus.

And what is wrong with the example of trading a blood-bag for ammo, both might have equal price for the people who need them. why would there have to be a middle item, ''ill buy a blood-bag of you for 5 silver so you can buy a ammo set from me for 5 silver''

then the last issue I have is that the only thing giving a currency its value is trust in the currency by all party's involved, so as soon as one party says I don't accept it any more the entire system becomes useless and we would be right back at straight up trade

Something would have to be in place that gives currency its worth. A person coould say they want 20 gold for a gun but what is 20 gold if it has no definition of worth. What I am saying is to just put it in unless the economy had some backing behind it to establish worth like other things that can be done with it (like skins, or like in epoch trader cities to get gear from NPCs) then 1 gold and 100 gold are the same thing and that is worthless

• Emerald

Items for items still sounds good to me, no need for any curreny

Since i really fancy the idea of not having a currency at all. I am rally glad with the system right now. It's the best system there is. If someone is in desperade need of a fuel can he'd pay a weapon and some ammo.

But if there would be a currency fuel would have kinda set price tags which is a bad thing in my opinion.

• MVP

Any currency should just be items. There is no need for an actual currency in a world all about survival. Food, water, and ammo are currency enough.

Guest Generic Name

What value does Gold/Silver has in an apocalypse? Currency is something with value.

It has plenty of value. You sell a blood bag to some guy for some gold, and then turn around and buy whatever you want from another person.

It can't be used as currency as it has no use, and could be found in loot pile, which completely devaluates it. Bottom line is scavengers looking for it would be rich of something which has no use. If iron bars were used and could be smelted into items, that would have some value. Gold and silver aren't precious anymore in a post-apocalyptic environment.

• Emerald

The Blood Bag has value, as I can use it to heal my wounds. But Gold? What value does it have? It looks pretty? I'll throw it at the Zombies to distract them.

• MVP

Silver and gold will have no true value due to there being no commonly accepted price. TO have that there needs to be a global economy for precious materials.

In the apocalypse a gold bar is just a very pretty paperweight.

It will be an artificial economy that will be based on nothing. Besides, what equipment and what npc's would we have?

Edit: Come on Fuel based economy! We already have limited supplies per tank. Lets limit the number of tanks of petrol and increase the number of empty jerry cans and we've got it!

That way, even empty jerry cans will have a relative value

I reckon instead of using gold/silver bars we should use some sort of item like tokens or coins (like the bottlecaps in fallout). The value of this would be determined if it is accepted by people, like in fallout bottlecaps are accepted accroos the wasteland but they have no real practical use.

• Emerald

Agree with Sumos. There is no place for the hold/silver to 'disappear' to. Eventually it will become worthless.

Fuel is the best next thing. If only there were other fuel consuming objects other than vehicles, it would be great.

Generators to power lights in a settlement? :P

• MVP

No.

Currency has been discussed before and has always been shot down.

Use the search function.

As stated a couple times, search function yada yada.

Generic Counter Argument: Currency can't work, not just from an Economic side, but also from a Game Engine side. People would just end up with a frack ton of "Useless" bars in their backpack, severely limiting the amount of food and drink they could carry. And with that food, they could still trade for items if they need them, but still have something that's useful to them as well.