Server time (UTC): 2023-02-03 16:37

put the age limit up to 18

scottish

Im not saying that everyone who is not above 18 who is a mature player in the server at the moment should be banned if this should be put in place , I am just recommending that in future the age limit should be put up.

reason 1 being, that I really dont think the average 16 year old can be mature enough to take in multiple rules at the one time and abide by them , and I can give you an example.

a 16 year old has reported me for bad RP and has dragged his mates into lying aginst me at the moment because HE had bad RP and didnt state his demands properly thus causing me to react anyway because I knew what he was trying to do and gave him enough time then reacted accordingly.

now I have a bunch of 16 year old bikering between eatch other lying over a formal report , and it looks really stupid.

reason 2 being, that when the age limit is 16 , this opens the gate for squeaky voices and pre pubescent under age people to slip by the age restriction because a 14 year old and a 16 year olds voice usually does not sound any different therefore making the chance for under age kids getting in bigger.

reason 3 being, that most of the folks in here are 18 and above and who at 18 had anymore that maybe one 16 year old mate if any?

18 I would even say is still a very young age , people like my self are like 10 years older giver or take 2 years than an 18 year old and even most of them come across to me as pretty imature and hard to deal with sometimes but not as bad as a 16 and or most probs a lying 14 to 15 year old haha.

I hope this gets taken into account , I sat for a while thinking about this this morning and feel that it should be put into place for the sake of the quality of the RP servers.

or maybe even having one server for under 18s to be in thus seperating the boys from men haha.

yeah but do you no think its rare to come across people of your age that are so mature?

im not gona lie even some guys I have played with hat where 16 to 18 sometimes had a grasp of the mod more than me but its very rare.

as it stands its just a suggestion :)

• MVP

yeah but do you no think its rare to come across people of your age that are so mature?

im not gona lie even some guys I have played with hat where 16 to 18 sometimes had a grasp of the mod more than me but its very rare.

as it stands its just a suggestion :)

Nah, I don't think it's rare. It's true that the younger someone is, the more likely it is he's less mature. But what percentage of mature people in an age group can you be happy with? I think that percentage is big enough in the 16-18 group.

idgaf gang up on me if ya like hahah

im just going of what I have been faced with , and im not going to be turned , sorry haha

and as I said AT THE START, I dont think the players that are already here should be banned , I am just saying for the future that the age should be put up to 18.

and above me is a classic example , I state my reasons and state that it should be nothing to do with the people that are already here and you get all these young kids sayying OH WELL JUST BAN EVERYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 BOOHOOO

and DONT JUDGE ME ITS NOT FAIRRR.

if thats not an example of immature rashness then I dont know what is ahhaha

I used to agree to the raising of the age limit however I think the points you have, or at least the way you word them, make your reasoning sound a little thin and immature in equal measure. If anything it's made me re-think my own opinion about this matter.

Firstly I don't believe splitting the community into two, with what will be perceived as a 'under-age' and 'of age' server, will be good for the community because it would just create a huge divide here and that is not wanted.

Reason 1 to me doesn't make a lot of sense. If anything the younger generation, being more impressionable and essentially a sponge ready to absorb knowledge, are just as capable of following the rules if not more so than some of the older members of the community. With older members, on occasions, you tend to get a more stubborn 'well in real life' justification to their arguments when they have clearly broken the rules. Regardless of their age, a rule breaker will be punished. Their age doesn't strictly define this and throwing around an accusation like that when it's not reflective of the community as a whole can be a little detrimental to your argument.

Reason 2 for me is a rather judgemental opinion. Judging someone by their voice is discrimination, some people I've played with here have a younger sounding voice but they are in their 20's. There's already a witch hunt vibe surrounding those with higher pitched voices and in all honesty, it has to stop. If there's a genuine suspicion with viable evidence surrounding someone's age then take it up through PM's with an Admin. Otherwise there's no need for those types of accusations.

Reason 3 again, accusations of people lying and generalisations. The age limit of 16 hasn't been in place for a very long time and there are a lot of people who are under the age of 16 that are here on their own merit and deservedly so. Some of them in particular have been very influential in this community.

My only real reasoning previously for upping the age limit was due to the stresses and strains that some of the scenarios both in-game and on the forums can put on a younger person while being here. I'm not talking about any of the discrimination when I say stresses and strains, I'm primarily referring to some of the more serious scenarios of torture and violence that occur in-game along with the some of the very heated and lengthy discussions that can happen on the forums. My thoughts were purely from a caring standpoint towards the individual who is 16 because I know that if I had a son or daughter playing on here at 16, I'd be weary of the type of things they'd be witnessing or partaking in. Especially as ARMA 2 has a PEGI rating of 18+.

HOWEVER, from playing here for some time now, I've noticed there are some incredibly tough and thick skinned youngsters here who are excellent role-players and valuable members of this community who can and continue to handle every situation thrown at them. I could never deny them or others like them the opportunity to prove all the doubters wrong. So alas, it's a no from me.

• Emerald

I really don't think age has anything to do with it because I have seen people in game that sounded way over 18 and were being immature with their RP like farting, fapping and all the above...that shows me that their mind has not caught up with their age. I have also ran into some pretty GREAT rpers like Alfie *cue heroic music* at the FM camp and I enjoyed his character. Say we do raise the age limit, then after awhile we're going to get someone saying "Hey these 18 year old are very immature...lets raise the age limit to 20!" and so on and son until we have a community filled with 50 year olds...not sure how fun that would be lol

I really don't think age has anything to do with it because I have seen people in game that sounded way over 18 and were being immature with their RP like farting, fapping and all the above...that shows me that their mind has not caught up with their age. I have also ran into some pretty GREAT rpers like Alfie *cue heroic music* at the FM camp and I enjoyed his character. Say we do raise the age limit, then after awhile we're going to get someone saying "Hey these 18 year old are very immature...lets raise the age limit to 20!" and so on and son until we have a community filled with 50 year olds...not sure how fun that would be lol

you know what , when you put it like that , I understand that shit.

this is the reason why I wanted to post this and the reason why I post my views , good one mate.

Guest TehGreekGamer

Lets just say that we raise the age limit to 18.Do you really think that people wont lie?They can use voice changers to make their voice sound deeper.Its not going to work plus dont judge people because of their age.

• Sapphire

It seems this just you trying get revenge at some people who reported you, 16 is a great line and needs no change

Not to be mean, but most underaged kids would have better spelling then what I see here

not to be mean but I have Dyslexia and you can kindly fpiss off,

got no time for smart ass grammar nazi types , that shit is immature too

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

There was no need for that, FrozenCaveMan. For all we know he might have dyslexia, think before you start judging.

I'm against the idea of the age requirement being raised to 18. Would it really make a difference? It's only two years, and I doubt a 18 year old is going to be so much more mature than a 16 year old.

Sure it might bring a few positives, but otherwise is it really worth it? I can name plenty of <18 year olds who are more mature than people who are in their early 20s. Also, a lot of staff members who have been <18, and what would we do without these people?

About that 16 year old who reported you, his age might have a difference. But just because one 16 year old reported you for that, it doesn't mean every 16 year old will.

Regarding that the 14 year old voice is no different to the 16 year old voice. That's not entirely true. Have you ever met Tortov? Or Ethanorg (not a good example as he left) they're 16 and don't sound no where near a 14 year old.

Another downside about the higher age limit, is that most 16 year olds could say that they're 18 and no one would question it, really. So if the majority of 16 or 17 year olds said they were 18+ then what's the point of it? And let's be honest here, people will lie.

• Legend

I don't agree with this I've known a few players at 16 years old and they have been more mature than people older.

• Emerald

I'm against the idea of the age requirement being raised to 18. Would it really make a difference? It's only two years, and I doubt a 18 year old is going to be so much more mature than a 16 year old.

Well put Alfie.

Remembering meself and my friends as 16 and 18, we didn't get any more mature in two years. So yea, I don't see a reason to raise the limit. Also I think in most cases, the voice is changed in the age of 16.

• MVP

Another downside about the higher age limit, is that most 16 year olds could say that they're 18 and no one would question it, really. So if the majority of 16 or 17 year olds said they were 18+ then what's the point of it? And let's be honest here, people will lie.

This ^. People will still do this from time to time, and those who generally put their true age in haven't actually read the rules correctly. Nothing would change, more people would just lie and say they were 18.

I feel that the current whitelist age limit is for preventative purposes only. It's only there to catch those who essentially don't read the rules properly, as well as prevent potentially immature players from joining.

There are probably quite a few players out there that are younger than 16, and we don't know it. I'm personally fine with that, if they can show that they are mature and understand the rules, then it isn't an issue. However, if they do cause issues (such as constant reporting, false reports, immaturity) we will remove them.

Besides, age isn't a good indicator of maturity anyway. Yet, it's the only preventative means we have to test for it.