Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Sterilise Bloodbags

Able to Sterilize bloodbags?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Able to Sterilize bloodbags?

Badger    0

Whilst playing over the game, and getting into my fair share of combat, upon the use of bloodbags i, and im sure much others have noticed the fact that you become infected as a result of their use.

Thinking about it, i have noticed, within an IC sense that this ultimately boils down to this:

The apparatus (needles, etc) used to administer the blood is contaminated

Now this being said, is it possible to be able to implement something in which you are able to sterilize this apparatus in order to eliminate the chances of infection, by ways of over a fire perhaps? I don't know about everyone else, but i believe if someone where to take every precaution possible in order to not get sick, he wont. What do you guys think?

Badger    0

Those of you who would be thinking maybe the blood itself is contaminated. Well if that's the case, it will in no way contribute to your health.

On the contrary, In one way or another there will be considerable risks of becoming severely sick. Sicknesses way beyond being curable by Antibiotics. In some cases, if not dealt with, death is also a risk.

Graffels    1

although the thought of being able to sterilize a needle with a flame is one that would make some sense, I do not agree with it.

for me there should be a risk to using a blood-bag, not only the needle but also the tubes and valves can be infected.

under no circumstance are you working in a clean environment and holding a needle in a flame doesn't help when your hands yourself are still dirty.

this is a very simple how too: http://www.wikihow.com/Sterilize-a-Needle

Guest BoobManReub   
Guest BoobManReub

Yup, more immersion = more RP

Burgz    6

I was laughed at when I said we should be able to 'boil' a blood-bag...I didn't realise the joke with being angry

Badger    0

although the thought of being able to sterilize a needle with a flame is one that would make some sense, I do not agree with it.

for me there should be a risk to using a blood-bag, not only the needle but also the tubes and valves can be infected.

under no circumstance are you working in a clean environment and holding a needle in a flame doesn't help when your hands yourself are still dirty.

Tubes and valves are also possible of being sterilised within an apocalypse scenario. Obviously not over direct flame. If the tubes are within a water filled tin boiled over a fire it is also possible to sterilise these components. Hands are irrelevant, you're not going to be touching the portion of a sterilised needle which is inserted into a patients vein now would you?

On another note, this feels weird.. An SKA telling an Ex-Free Medic on how one can sterilise his medical equipment...

Graffels    1

Tubes and valves are also possible of being sterilised within an apocalypse scenario. Obviously not over direct flame. If the tubes are within a water filled tin boiled over a fire it is also possible to sterilise these components. Hands are irrelevant, you're not going to be touching the portion of a sterilised needle which is inserted into a patients vein now would you?

On another note, this feels weird.. An SKA telling an Ex-Free Medic on how one can sterilise his medical equipment...

Well the ting is hands are very relevant,

say you would be able to sterilize the tubes sufficiently over a camp fire, you still will need to put everything back together afterwards,

now I have done this a couple of times and even if you handle the needle safely if your hands are not clean or in special gloves you will contaminate the needle.

Badger    0

say you would be able to sterilize the tubes sufficiently over a camp fire, you still will need to put everything back together afterwards,

now I have done this a couple of times and even if you handle the needle safely if your hands are not clean or in special gloves you will contaminate the needle.

Regardless of how well clean your hands are you generally never touch the end of the needle in which will be inserted in the patient because of the fact that touching the needle is always a potential contamination risk, even if soap is readily available or not. WIthin an apocalypse scenario it is likely one will only have access to plain water to wash their hands, which will clean it, but only to a point. That being said, it is impossible to 100% eliminate contamination even in normal standards (Excepting certain situations). Though this being said, if the most possible contamination risks are eliminated, if done right these risks will be so minuscule that it is at the point of irrelevance.

Kravock    1

DayZ 1.8.1 is bringing a new system in which requires you to put a blood bag kit together, which also requires you to get blood from people I believe.

Stagsview    624

I like the idea in general +1 from me lads!

Onionjack    0

Maybe we don't need to go that deep even though I love realism. I'd say for game like DayZRP it would be enough if the needle and tubes are sterilized with boiled water.

Othuyeg    20

The needle itself is rarely contaminated, since you would only use a needle once and it comes out of a package. However, the thing that would really contribute to infection risk is the fact that the skin that is broken is not clean.

I would love to see an ability to wipe the area with a wipe before sticking a hole in the subj... patient.

Iiro    0

But what about the blood itself? You see a bad of blood in a hospital and you are letting someone inject it into you. The blood in the bag could be old and contaminated.

DayZ 1.8.1 is bringing a new system in which requires you to put a blood bag kit together, which also requires you to get blood from people I believe.

and +1 for the idea, i would like to see the sterilizing implemented.

Osaka    19

I suppose to would be possible to use cleaning alcohol to sterilize the tube, needle, etc.

A flame may cause carbon buildup which can be dangerous as well.

To clean the blood itself you need a complete working medical station where they can clean blood. In the situation we are in it's impossible to clean blood without damaging the bloodcells.

However, the blood has been laying there on the floor, or in a cardboard box for god knows how long. It would no longer be use usable anyway.

Oldman    22

They should add bloodtypes in the game and when you spawn you can see wich type you are in the journal.

Osaka    19

They should add bloodtypes in the game and when you spawn you can see wich type you are in the journal.

That would be making it a bit more realistic.

Nice.

Even better: you have to find out yourself what bloodtype you have. Trial and error? :D

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

How about blood-pancakes?

TightPants    0

Nice.

Even better: you have to find out yourself what bloodtype you have. Trial and error? :D

And lots of frustration and rage.

Hofer    20

Inb4

What bloodtype are you?

0-

Drop your weapons or I will shoot!!!