Server time: 2017-10-23, 15:27
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Press

DayZ 2017 Foundation

Press    1

Alright, so, I'm not actually suggesting this (obviously, because it's not viable now... or possibly ever), but does anyone agree that the general level of RP, the value for life, and the amount of caution people take when out in the world would all be enhanced if DayZRP used DayZ 2017 as a foundation?

Scant weapons, crappy old cars, limited resources... wouldn't all of that promote a more dynamic environment? At the moment, every Tom, Dick and Harry has access to military grade weapons (apparently infinite in supply), many vehicles, and tons of survival resources... which isn't very, um, let's say, realistic?

Anyway, there probably won't be such support for the sentiment, but for those who have experienced DayZ 2017, I hope that they might see how this could be advantageous to RP.

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

yes yes

yes

please

Press    1

Check the search function, this has been suggested so many times before.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know why people always say this. In some cases, yes, but for the sake of discussion, just let it roll. So it was discussed before, yes, but instead of raising a thread from the dead, I wanted to start a new conversation, particularly since a lot of time has supposedly passed.

Not to sound like a dick Reptile, not at all... just saying.

As for the comment about robberies, that's exactly what I'm talking about. In 2017, everything takes on a greater sense of urgency. Clans are forced to become real support networks for one another, and without easy access to tons of top end gear, situations call for more RP, for no reason other than that more is at stake in each player encounter for everyone involved.

Flame    0

Alright, so, I'm not actually suggesting this (obviously, because it's not viable now... or possibly ever), but does anyone agree that the general level of RP, the value for life, and the amount of caution people take when out in the world would all be enhanced if DayZRP used DayZ 2017 as a foundation?

Scant weapons, crappy old cars, limited resources... wouldn't all of that promote a more dynamic environment? At the moment, every Tom, Dick and Harry has access to military grade weapons (apparently infinite in supply), many vehicles, and tons of survival resources... which isn't very, um, let's say, realistic?

Anyway, there probably won't be such support for the sentiment, but for those who have experienced DayZ 2017, I hope that they might see how this could be advantageous to RP.

Check the search function, this has been suggested so many times before.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know why people always say this. In some cases, yes, but for the sake of discussion, just let it roll. So it was discussed before, yes, but instead of raising a thread from the dead, I wanted to start a new conversation, particularly since a lot of time has supposedly passed.

Not to sound like a dick Reptile, not at all... just saying.

As for the comment about robberies, that's exactly what I'm talking about. In 2017, everything takes on a greater sense of urgency. Clans are forced to become real support networks for one another, and without easy access to tons of top end gear, situations call for more RP, for no reason other than that more is at stake in each player encounter for everyone involved.

+1

It would make so much sense and hopefully would actually bring back proper role-play instead of the current role-play you see nowadays, "raids" on settlements just for the sake of it, robbing people for the sake of it, etc. At the end of the day, this mod is supposed to be all about the role-play, not how many weapons you can stockpile or find.

Apfelsator    2

I played on a namalsk server for some time where military weapons where not rare but the ammunition was quite rare.

For example i found a mosin but no bullets, 6 hours later i found 3 bullets.

Also the supply of food and drink(but empty waterbottles where more common) was spare so i got over to hunting animals with the crossbow to survive.

So yeah, even if i never played Dayz2017, it sounds like a good foundation.

And after one and a half year after the apocalypse, everything could be more rare.

TightPants    0

Actually this would make more sense as the world itself all ready looks like it has aged since the outbreak, almost completely rusted out tanks and vehicles everywhere. I would like it that everything would be more scarce.

Mush    2

Would be nice, however a lot of loot will be really scarce (point of it) however, I like a bit of loot... Hm, it's an idea. :P

I would love it! Would be fun to be actually happy if you find some ammo or even basic stuff. It would definitely enhance the post-apocalyptic feeling.

But the most important thing would be you will think twice to fire a bullet if you know it could take a week to resupply. The overall game could be way more challenging!

Saalpeter    3

As a veteran in DayZ 2017 and Namalsk and romantics of misery in a survival RP game I would welcome such proposals. This could add some new RP effects and even deep the existing, but probably robberies would also increase and many frustration over the loss of equipment will grow. But that would not be tragic, if the survivors would be more often trade/work with each other and everyone would be forced to work out a richer daily routine (looting), rather than gear up fast and hanging around in camps for hours. That's just too much luxury for an apocalypse^^. By the way- Important survival aspects like the possibility for fishing, crafting bandages or to switch from melee to primary weapon are missing at DayZ 2017! (And version 2.1. of DayZ 2017 was a big disappointment to my expectations. Just to mention that each bullet takes one slot etc.)

Short practical Examples- reduced spawn rate of: firearms in general, but especially high-tech weapons and ammunation, industrial food and drinks, matches, antibiotics and blood (medical supplies in general). Then implement "cold(er) weather" and everything would be awesome;-)

I still like the changes at the loot table of DayZRP. As far as I can tell, but it could still be harder I guess. Of course it is easy to dream about, when other do the work on balancing... haha^^. But maybe the developer want to set new stimuli for Chernarus in the future, when the completion of "S3 Panthera" is done? unfortunately I am not sure, if the majority of the community will be so open-minded to such changes.

Edit: I even do not like my english very much. Just to mention it^^.

Tomeran    3

Made a thread about this a while ago: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-dayz-2017--7084

It includes a poll! You can vote! :D

dude, that was like...half a year ago. :D

Anyway, I support this. Here's the thing though: I dont neccecerily agree on weapons. Weapons are not an expendable commodity to the same degree as other things. If you maintain them, they can last for a LONG LONG WHILE.

Perhaps a maintainment and durability system would be perfect here, but until then I think weapons can stay roughly as they are. The "omg OP western scope"-weapons are already a lot more rare then they used to be. A LOT.

Everything else, I agree 100% with. DayZ 2017 is a positive role model because it puts an emphasis on a -challenge- of survival. Supplies are rare, you have to think and dedicate yourself to your survival. It isnt just a breeze anymore, it isnt just about that standard adrenaline PvP fix or high-end western scoped weapon anymore in dayZ 2017, its about you making it another day. And THAT is what dayZ should be about, that's what its roleplay should be about. There are -incredible- RP opportunities for people to roleplay out different ways when there's a sense of desperation, instead of the relativly limited(and not really apocalyptic) roleplay when everything is peachy and easy.

I've heard concerns that this will put a heavier emphasis on banditry and that the increased effort to find "daily necessities" will have an adverse effect on roleplay, and I dont agree. While it may result on banditry, its been well established that banditry has a place on this server. And the problems with banditry has almost always been the motivations and the roleplay behind it. Desperation and new prized commodities to steal will open new doors to RP here, rather then just backpacks, GPS, NVGs and guns.

And this would greatly put an emphasis on cooperation and trade, which I think holds amazing roleplaying possibilities.

Its been over 14 months since day 1. So yeah, bring on the near zero amount of ammo, bring on the shortage of spare parts, bring on the near existance of medical supplies, food and drinks. Make people struggle for it, and then you have yourself a SURVIVAL game that is still open to both PvE and PvP, but under different, and imo, way more interesting conditions.

Finally I'd like to say that over the latest couple of months, dayzRP has already taken substantial steps towards this. We have A LOT less ammo and guns then we used to. Medical supplies has been cut to a fraction of what it used to be, and sodas are rare. Food is unfortunetly way too common, but in almost every other way we're on the right path. The fuel shortage feature that was recently added is a perfect example.

I would love it! Would be fun to be actually happy if you find some ammo or even basic stuff. It would definitely enhance the post-apocalyptic feeling.

But the most important thing would be you will think twice to fire a bullet if you know it could take a week to resupply. The overall game could be way more challenging!

I totally agree with every word

1+