Server time: 2017-08-22, 05:38

Sign in to follow this  
Lord Fusk

Voice changer, annoyance?

Lord Fusk    2

Is it just me or is it extremely annoying with people using voice changers?

Some type of metallic robot setting to simulate a gasmask?

I dont know what gasmasks they got but the ones ive used sure as shit didnt make me sound like that!

Is this just me beeing easily annoyed or does anyone else share this thought?

Upshot    0

I don't really mind this, it definitely is preferable to terrible OOC/RP that is constantly happening, or god forbid the young boys that sound like girls. I think of all the issues happening right now, this is one of the least relevant to worry about!!

I wore my Israeli gas mask on teamspeak and while playing to prove this point before. It does add to immersion I believe but it has become to common and alot of people have bad setting for the changers.

Lord Fusk    2

Of course it can be done awesomely i dont disagree with that.

But poorly set and overly used just makes it a pest.

I remember once at a roadblock i had some muppet on the ground unarmed just yelling shit while we started taking random fire from some samaritans. I just executed him on the spot coudnt take it.

Maybe i should get one myself and set it to toddler! ;D

Guest Brāy   
Guest Brāy

YESYESYESYES i couldn't agree voice changers do my head in.

I use a gas mask at work from time to time and it most certainly does not make you sound like darth vader

I play a character that took a piece of shrapnel to the throat that damaged his vocal chords, when I speak ingame I try to make my voice sound hoarse and strained. I had someone today ask me why I don't just use a voice changer and speak like I have a voice box...

I refuse to use a voice changer, I have seen next to no instances where a voice changer results in a believable voice in-game, and with the many issues of the ends of sentences being cut off, cutting in and out, and simply making it impossible to understand people... I will never use a voice changer or play a character that would require me to do so.

I would rather strain to make a voice myself with my own voice, even if after a while doing it... I no longer have to try to make my voice sound strained... as it is officially strained and mildly painful after an hour of talking the way my character does... lol

Vulric    0

I use a voice changer for my Gas-Mask character. But it doesn't sound like darth vader. I have it set to where it just sounds as if my voice is muffled and somewhat echos. I try to make it sound similar to the ghost from SC. I think the problem is people don't really TRY to use the settings and morph the voice to a good setting and just use the presets of Darth Vader.

Lord Fusk    2

I just smoke and drink alot so i get that voice without the voice changer, im glad im not the only one. Didnt see a single thread about it so i started to feel like a whiner!

Alan Woods    3

It's annoying but you can't force people to stop using it...

Also I've had cases where voice changers were used in a very good way.

R Steele    0

I completely agree and as voice is a way to identify a person you met in game it is to easy if you say get robbed by a gas mask char to misidentify 1 in a similar skin with a voice changer.. I wish they were not allowed on here

By now I just wanna shoot them. All of them.

Soooo, yeah. Hate those voice changers...

Never thought I would agree with an SKA but yah I do agree

I wore my Israeli gas mask on teamspeak and while playing to prove this point before. It does add to immersion I believe but it has become to common and alot of people have bad setting for the changers.

That's pretty cool to add that effect, but could people actually hear you clearly enough?

I used to have a program for that just for fun while on skype with friends, thing is tho there was an option to make a girlish voice, problem is my voice was too deep so it just sounded like a girl with a rough voice, laughs where indeed had.

Slute    1

It ruins the roleplay for me when everyone around me has a gas mask. I mean where the fuck would you get a hundred gas masks from? Clans that use them would make more sense then random civilians.

Lord Fusk    2

So if i rob a guy with a gasmask, can i rp wise force him to take it off aka turn off his annoying voice changer (obviously keep the mask on ingame)

Onionjack    0

So if i rob a guy with a gasmask, can i rp wise force him to take it off aka turn off his annoying voice changer (obviously keep the mask on ingame)

I don't see a problem there, I was once forced to change gray worker clothes by SVR even though I didn't wear ghille or any other wanted skin. Was part of the robbery so I played along :)

Major Tom    78

I don't think so. Although you could RP taking it off, nothing would really change. If they're using MorphVox then they would need to close ARMA and change their priority microphone then rejoin the server. That's a lot of fuss for a little bit of role play. Also it involves them logging out, which is never ideal when you're trying to be immersive.

I may be wrong with how that all works, I don't use morphvox very often.

Anyways, in my opinion I think that voice changers are pretty unrealistic. I remember when Enclave first came around and they spoke by covering their mic with their hand. It took a little bit of effort and made them have one less hand free when talking, but it sounded more genuine than a voice changer because it only muffled their voice a little bit.

I think that although I don't like voice changers and they annoy the fuck out of me, you can't force people to not use them. As long as they're understandable then they're not really doing anything wrong. If, however, their voice changer makes them near impossible to understand then that's a different issue.

Tommy Welsh    0

They shouldn't be allowed to use them because the program they use either cuts out half of their sentences or makes them sound like retards.

cazr    0

They shouldn't be allowed to use them because the program they use either cuts out half of their sentences or makes them sound like retards.

That's just crappy internet connections.

Guest Olyblob   
Guest Olyblob

When enclave first started using the gas masks everyone loved them and we didn't even use voice changers, we just put hand over are mouth and mic, i still think it adds the RP and no we should not ban them.

TightPants    0

Well it's annoying when a person without a gasmask has that voice changer on, or someone who would otherwise squeek have their bass set up too high. I've seen this. Also gas masks don't change voice to a robotic deep voice. At some points it can get annoying. I guess all those characters who use voice changer have had a some sort of throat disease that has forced them to use some sort of device to be able to speak and thus the metallic robot sound.

I've yet to come across a male using voice changer to become female.

Lundborg    0

I don't really mind it if people use the voice changer CORRECTLY.

Some people wearing gas masks have their pitch turned all the way down making them sound like a V8 engine when they talk (probably made someone extremely confused by comparing a voice to an engine of which I have close to 0 knowledge about).

If you are to use a voice changer for your gas mask, please, I beg you, please, do not turn your pitch down so you sound like Darth Vader! You can keep the effect on but put your pitch to 0 in MorphVox so it's actually your REAL voice with the artificial gas mask effect on.

Mad Stone    0

Well, my character wears a respirator (pilot mask) which helps him breathe. My pitch is at 0.05, and always get that i sound like a robot.

Dunno why, maybe because I always speak weirdly (shifting my tone due to the tubing that fucks up his vocal chords), but I get the tubings "cleaned" from time to time (by doctors at altar with proper medical education) if it gets annoying for some people (and I continue to speak on my normal tone).

Guest Olyblob   
Guest Olyblob

have you guys ever really thought about the enclave. The gas mask makes it so you can't see the eyes and as they say, eyes are windows to the soul. This makes the enclave solders look more like machines than men and machines are all the same. The changer is for than making us sound like we are wearing a gas mask, its to also make us sound the same. Its to scare people and it dose scare some civs we come across if it fits in with there story and type of RP to be scared, like this morning someone asked at Alta asked "who is the man with the scarey voice"