Mandatory character backgrounds [POLL]

Mandatory backgrounds  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Mandatory backgrounds

• Yes (Why?)
    • No (Why?)

TightPants    0

Hello people of DayZRP.

I've noticed that there is no need to post or have your character background visible for other players after you have been whitelisted. This fact slightly disturbs me as it should be a major part of the RP itself. I know that many of us have several alternative characters but we also have one main character that we use and is usually part of a clan or group. But yet we might not have even come up with a background for it and are just using it in game and RPing the current events without really having a past for him/her. I've noticed this with lot of people who are in clans but lack of character background in the forums. Is it because they can't come up with one or because they simply don't have to do it? Writing a character background shows that you can actually develop an realistic character to RP with and it also serves as an reminder for yourself and helps you stick with your background without the story changing everytime you meet a new person and you can also update it with recent events.

I'm not saying you should have background for all those alternative characters you have, but it should be mandatory to have character background in the forums for main characters and all the other characters who are in a clan. And the main character background should be somehow linked to your profile (I know this can be done). It's not hard to come up with a decent backgrounds for characters that doesn't remind each other too much. So I would like to suggest in the name of promoting RP on the forums and serves as whole that each player is forced to write an character background that is visible for others for their main characters and all those characters that are in a clan.

Sayla    0

I say yes, for the most part because I have many of times come across a lone survivor who said "Oh, I was uh, military and stuff." or "I woke up here randomly." and other really bad RP.

But in a few rare cases, I can see some meta-gaming problems coming with this...

Archer    0

Yes, because I feel like most people just take a name, start playing, and make up a back story as they go.

Yes, because I feel like most people just take a name, start playing, and make up a back story as they go.

Unfortunately, this is all too common, and I think it really needs to stop. So, this gets my vote, though perhaps a separate forum in the RolePlaying section should be made specifically for these?

I say yes, for the most part because I have many of times come across a lone survivor who said "Oh, I was uh, military and stuff." or "I woke up here randomly." and other really bad RP.

+1

MrStevetic    0

I say yes, it helps you get into the mindset of your main character....though with that said I'm tragically biased, having done this for every pen and paper toon I've ever made.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

Great idea, needs to be done, +1.

Goz    2

Aye, it was proposed and lobbyed in past to have personal tab or public subforum where backstories from whitelists were available.

TightPants    0

Well I'm surprised as somehow I thought that this would get more negative response. But it's good to see that I'm not the only that would like to see this happen. The metagaming as far as I know is an punishable offence in DayZRP. Of course there would be some sort of example form for what the backstory should at least include so everyone would have the same basic starting point and those who wish to add more are welcome to do so.

For example I saw a player named Hector Calavera and he is from SVR Now I started to wonder how does that name fit a character in Russian armies, so I tried searching for it but I found nothing with that name. So I checked the clan thread and I found that you would have to be part of Russian army in your backstory. So that raises a lot of questions about how people with clear non-Russian name and probably non-Russian ancestry would have been part of Russian army. There are a lot of others too.

But yeah this should be easy to implement and easy to uphold. Of course that means there would be some kind of punishment for not having a background visible.

Aye, it was proposed and lobbyed in past to have personal tab or public subforum where backstories from whitelists were available.

I wonder why such an easy thing hasn't been implemented?

Guest xProedge   
Guest xProedge

I always think of a character background before I play with a new character, sometimes it's not the best but I have some backstory to work off of. I've met so many people saying "I don't remember.." or even if I ask them on teamspeak they just say "I just made it up as I go along so i'm not really sure yet". It kinda gets annoying considering I like to hear people's stories. I vote yes.

Press    1

I support this fully, because it reinforces the need for DayZRP players to be attached to their characters, which in turn promotes more complex roleplay and a deeper respect for the lives of characters. ArmA 2 characters may be disposable and infinitely respawnable, but in this environment, we're meant to have a certain degree of attachment. Detailed character backgrounds are just one more layer of development that leads to better situations and more fun.

So, +1

I voted yes, but I don't use my "main" character anymore. Maybe it could be that you pick the story you want for your character and can change it...

Cid    333

I'm not going to vote on this mainly because of the fact that I do want a place I could put my backstory on my profile, but I wouldn't want it to be mandatory.

Guest BoobManReub   
Guest BoobManReub

If you click on their profile, their story should be there. If the people applying know that not just the admin who is looking at their story will be checking it, but instead anybody, it'll make everybody have a firmer RP background, and those awkward car drive conversations might actually be filled with something interesting

Onionjack    0

Yes, if it's easy to create personal tab for them.

I've mostly been lazy, I got full background for my character but I'm waiting inspiration to write it. Maybe some day <.<

Bush    10

Well it would be a lot of work to make one eachtime you wanna make an alt character, especilly if you gotta keep a high quality on it and sometime it won't make sense if you spawn with a skin which doesn't fit well with your backstory.

Edit: I still support it thou, +1.

Guest Olyblob   
Guest Olyblob

No, I prefer to Find out IG what there backsstroy is

Press    1
No' date=' I prefer to Find out IG what there backsstroy is[/quote']

The problem is, IG, most people don't have one. I'm constantly surprised when I meet people and they're like "Yeah... don't know how I got here. Just trying to survive". It's like, really? Why are you even playing on DayZRP? If you don't want to invest anything in developing your character, how do you expect to properly interact with others? And furthermore, if you're only here for the rule set, you're kinda doing it wrong.

The people who have no backstory are the ones who add the least to RP situations. They're either here to bandit and/or play "tough guy", but they so often have nothing concrete or interesting to back it up. Simply put, most people without backstories are really boring, and I find it difficult to carry on conversation with them when they're just RPing themselves as opposed to someone who isn't them... which is the whole point.

Press    1
People writing impressive backstories won't improve their roleplay in-game.

Of course it does. It's the people who just wing it while playing a character that has no substance who fail constantly at RP.

Jerry    19

People writing impressive backstories won't improve their roleplay in-game.

Of course it does. It's the people who just wing it while playing a character that has no substance who fail constantly at RP.

People will always have a character in the back of their head, so writing it down and going "this is good," won't change anything, also people have to write a backstory for the whitelist process anyway.