Server time: 2017-10-18, 02:08
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Kyle

So... where exactly is Chernarus

Chris Kyle    0

Some community members and I are having a debate on where exactly is Chernarus? Can someone please post here or on this thread, on where Chernarus is.

Please move to General Discussion.

BeastMade    0

well i think its somewhere in russia/near russia? i have no idea never thinked this :D

Chris Kyle    0

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-dayzrp-official-background-refined-edition

Point one.

The only addition is the 2009 crisis, which resulted in a chedaki uprising against the Chernarus goverment in the province of South Zagoria.

Insel1.jpg

In-game location matters, not the out of game location.

So wait thats where Arma II takes place in the story, but Chernarus is actually somewhere in Germany or Czech Republic? Please correct me if I'm wrong, the only reason I'm asking that is because of what you just said "In-game location matters, not the out of game location."??

Toorrik    4

There is no REAL LIFE Chenarus. There is locations in the Czech/Germany where they take inspiration from but there is no place on the map called Chenarus.

Chris Kyle    0

There is no REAL LIFE Chenarus. There is locations in the Czech/Germany where they take inspiration from but there is no place on the map called Chenarus.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Tomeran    3

Chernarus is NOT in Germany.

There is no global map of the armaverse available, so an exact location is unavailable, but I can flatout say that it is not located in central europe.

Judging from the maps that are available, such as the one linked above, I would wager that Chernarus is somewhere east of Ukraine, possibly near Georgia and the russian city of Rostov, alternativly close to the caspian sea.

See this map.

5hOfq.jpg

Since Chernarus and Takistan(and the countries that border Takistan) is fictional, as well as the green sea being fictional, it complicates things on where to exactly put this country. It stands to reason that we'd have to re-draw details of the world map to fit these countries and the green sea, but I'll argue that it can be done with minimal effort if we concluded that Chernarus is small, Takistan is small and the green sea is a fairly small sea.

Chris Kyle    0

Chernarus is NOT in Germany.

There is no global map of the armaverse available, so an exact location is unavailable, but I can flatout say that it is not located in central europe.

Judging from the maps that are available, such as the one linked above, I would wager that Chernarus is somewhere east of Ukraine, possibly near Georgia and the russian city of Rostov, alternativly close to the caspian sea.

See this map.

5hOfq.jpg

Since Chernarus and Takistan(and the countries that border Takistan) is fictional, as well as the green sea being fictional, it complicates things on where to exactly put this country. It stands to reason that we'd have to re-draw details of the world map to fit these countries and the green sea, but I'll argue that it can be done with minimal effort if we concluded that Chernarus is small, Takistan is small and the green sea is a fairly small sea.

Makes sense, sorta. I'm still confusied why this looks so much like most of Chernarus. Especially Stary, Novy, Cherno, and even Electro.

Tomeran    3

Because the town itself is based on that location. They made the contents of the map from RL locations in czechia and Germany(apparantly). That does not mean that the fictional country, Chernarus, is in Germany. Merely that some of the town layouts were taken from these places.

Inspiration does not warrant actual geograhical location when used for something else, especielly fictional stuff.

Chris Kyle    0

Because the town itself is based on that location. They made the contents of the map from RL locations in czechia and Germany(apparantly). That does not mean that the fictional country, Chernarus, is in Germany. Merely that some of the town layouts were taken from these places.

Inspiration does not warrant actual geograhical location when used for something else, especielly fictional stuff.

Okay, I just wonder why the Dev's decided to take the cities from here?

Toorrik    4

IIRC they got into a lot of trouble for it because local government thought they were spies while they were photographing the area.

I recall something like that.

Archer    0

IIRC they got into a lot of trouble for it because local government thought they were spies while they were photographing the area.

That was for ArmA3! The were photographing Greek military bases, and were imprisoned for about three months.

Toorrik    4

That was for ArmA3! The were photographing Greek military bases, and were imprisoned for about three months.

Ahh that's right. I knew it was Arma related :D

Chris Kyle    0

Honestly it doesn't really surprise me at all, not quite as extreme but its like making a replica of D.C. Then have people literally learn the map upside down... That would cause some serious problems.

Chernarus was based off a region in the north of the Czech Republic as far as I know none of it was taken from Germany. At least not as directly as they did the Czech Republic. Here are some images comparing Chernarus IG and IRL http://imgur.com/a/dmXis One thing I always found interesting was the Sea to the south IG is actually a river that you can see if you scroll down on the google maps you linked before.

As for where the country is supposed to be located IG, Tomeran already has you covered on that.

Chris Kyle    0

Chernarus was based off a region in the north of the Czech Republic as far as I know none of it was taken from Germany. At least not as directly as they did the Czech Republic. Here are some images comparing Chernarus IG and IRL http://imgur.com/a/dmXis One thing I always found interesting was the Sea to the south IG is actually a river that you can see if you scroll down on the google maps you linked before.

As for where the country is supposed to be located IG, Tomeran already has you covered on that.

That's pretty weird to see what Chernarus looks like in IRL.

Press    1

Here is the full, proper comparison.

It is basically a full recreation of part of the Czech republic...

chernarus_compare.jpg

It's rather somewehere around Czech Republic or more east of.

It's definitely not Germany since the names of cities and villages on the map have their origin in Easteurope. They're Slavic.

//edit:

Press brings it to the end. The shown part of the map fits perfectly.

Guest Thuesen207   
Guest Thuesen207

Holy crap its the same!!