Server time: 2017-10-22, 08:21
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Paul Potkins

Removal of age restriction

Should the age restriction be removed?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should the age restriction be removed?

• Yes, I think this is okay
    • No, definitely not
    • Depends on a few things

Hi. I'm gonna keep this intro short and to the point - age restriction should be removed. Why, you may ask? Well, let me give you a few good reasons and how to enforce these reasons.

A) Hardly any immature child can roleplay properly. The solution? Add a server for people under the age of 16, and if they can play with no hassle for 2 weeks, let them onto main server. Why should the mature teens have to suffer?

B) Arma's community lacks young players. The only sincere young players are the serious ones - Arma 2 is not a game for everyone. Of course, we've all met the annoying kid on Arma 2 Wasteland, but that's Wasteland. It doesn't involve RP.

C) Teens add a whole new aspect to the game. We bring variety in our character bios (I swear, 80% of this server was either a soldier, doctor, or something to do with guns before the breakout) which I think this server somewhat lacks in. Don't get me wrong, there are some strong bios, but keep in mind, some.

D) Why make the teens who can roleplay just as good as anyone else suffer? I'm fifteen, and I've been an active part of the Arma 2 community since DayZ came out. Whether it be doing realistic missions, or playing with people who have served before.

Soo, yeah. I could go on for a while as to why it should be removed, but I'm not going to. This doesn't effect me as much as it does younger teens - I'm turning 16 December 1st, plus I have to donate and all that jazz to be able to get in anyways. This is for the younger teens that I feel are missing out from having a lot of fun on the server.

Also, don't give the under age people a long line - if they mess up, ban them. You guys would've put a lot on the line letting them on the server anyways, because they could have a temper tantrum and ruin roleplay for others.

Oh, I'm also willing to put money on it that a lot of the people with no mic are under the age of 16.

Thanks for considering.

*edit* Also you guys, please try to look at it from a mature teens point of view. Let me give you an analogy. You don't let Canadian people into a bar because the last five Canadians you let in said 'aboot' (dw I'm Canadian. We don't say it that way anyway), but then a Canadian sneaks in and becomes your best friend, then he tells you hes Canadian and he doesn't say 'aboot'. How does that make you feel about not letting Canadians in? You can just as easily throw them out.

Guest Biiddy   
Guest Biiddy

There used to be no age restriction, there is a reason why there is one now, the majority of the trolls and bad role players are underage, sad but true, don't get me wrong there are some great role players who are underage, some are staff members but unfortunately most of the immature players are under the age of 16

Jottar    0

Use the search function, this has been brought up before. And every time it is the staff says no. Its easier just to not take this risk and make the staffs job that much harder.

Mads    0

A) Hardly any immature child can roleplay properly. The solution? Add a server for people under the age of 16, and if they can play with no hassle for 2 weeks, let them onto main server. Why should the mature teens have to suffer?

+1

This

dave_owns    0

About the mic part, I do agree with that, because a lot of the times, these people do have mics, and talk rarely, then you can here the squeaker come out of them. xD But, You do make a point, however, more or less- the age is around 16, and that is when people start to mature, In my opinion, so I feel that it's good where it is. There would be a countless number of reports, and thing like that, and admins simply don't have the time to go through all those, plus, people under the age of 16 get around the whitelist all the time, all they have to do is lie, which is wrong, and they'll eventually get caught.

Guest Nath   
Guest Nath

Being under 16 myself, even I agree with the age requirements, on the other hand, it just sucks for the rest of under 16s who are mature and cannot get whitelisted.

ShinzoFTW    0

There used to be no age restriction, there is a reason why there is one now, the majority of the trolls and bad role players are underage, sad but true, don't get me wrong there are some great role players who are underage, some are staff members but unfortunately most of the immature players are under the age of 16

I agree with this ^ Although there may be many good younger aged role players out there, there are many immature trolls that will just ruin the server. Fans of people like Psi Syndicate or DDG or even Frankie and Jackfrags(if they ever decide to try us out) will swarm the whitelist apps. Much of their demographic may be mature viewers but there is still a large percentage of immature children. If they are mature enough let them come, if they lie past the age barrier and are blatantly immature then they will be caught, if they are mature enough then good they will stay. The barrier should stay as age will usually correspond with maturity.

Mental    0

Younger players are not serious. I do realise some are, but not many. I do like the idea of having a server where they can prove themselves however. So +1 on that.

Texas532    0

People who are not close to 16 or older shouldn't be allowed on, simply because they usually have the squeaker voice. It ruins rp because someone with that voice could run up to a settlement and brag about using his military training to kill 5 bandits while asking for medical attention, whilst sounding like a 10 yr old.

Frayzies    6

The logistics of creating a server for this sole purpose would be a nightmare (taking into account the amount of fleshing-out and polishing this sort of system would require) on top of the fact that fifty new staff members would have to be hired entirely for the job of "tween-monitorer". While I understand there are a number of mature younger people who are very well capable of acting in an adult manner, it goes without saying that most people within the 16 and below age group do not fit this bill. While the current age requirement is not perfect, as no system is perfect, it is the best of a bad situation.

C) Teens add a whole new aspect to the game. We bring variety in our character bios (I swear, 80% of this server was either a soldier, doctor, or something to do with guns before the breakout) which I think this server somewhat lacks in. Don't get me wrong, there are some strong bios, but keep in mind, some.

Interestingly it seems that after a fair amount of observation that this dilemma is universal. I have met dozens of squeekers that have clearly lied about their age to get past the whitelist that are the atypical spec-ops badass, and I have met plenty of 20-30 year olds who are playing that same character. Teens aren't going to add anything to character diversity unless they start roleplaying as what they actually are; teens. This is something that I doubt would happen.

I can understand your frustration. I started roleplaying when I was thirteen years old and I know how frustrating it can be to be shut out from crowds and other varieties of closed-community roleplay circles, but it's just something that needs to be dealt with. It was annoying then as a 13 year old but as an adult I understand why these rules are in place.

I took the time I was locked out of certain roleplay circles to better myself and my roleplay so that when I was finally old enough to get in I'd be the best roleplayer I could be. If more young roleplayers would adopt this mentality I think it'd make dealing with the crap situation that is age-limits a lot easier.

I would say this was my two cents but I think this text wall classifies as at least a nickel.

The logistics of creating a server for this sole purpose would be a nightmare (taking into account the amount of fleshing-out and polishing this sort of system would require) on top of the fact that fifty new staff members would have to be hired entirely for the job of "tween-monitorer". While I understand there are a number of mature younger people who are very well capable of acting in an adult manner, it goes without saying that most people within the 16 and below age group do not fit this bill. While the current age requirement is not perfect, as no system is perfect, it is the best of a bad situation.

Interestingly it seems that after a fair amount of observation that this dilemma is universal. I have met dozens of squeekers that have clearly lied about their age to get past the whitelist that are the atypical spec-ops badass, and I have met plenty of 20-30 year olds who are playing that same character. Teens aren't going to add anything to character diversity unless they start roleplaying as what they actually are; teens. This is something that I doubt would happen.

I can understand your frustration. I started roleplaying when I was thirteen years old and I know how frustrating it can be to be shut out from crowds and other varieties of closed-community roleplay circles, but it's just something that needs to be dealt with. It was annoying then as a 13 year old but as an adult I understand why these rules are in place.

I took the time I was locked out of certain roleplay circles to better myself and my roleplay so that when I was finally old enough to get in I'd be the best roleplayer I could be. If more young roleplayers would adopt this mentality I think it'd make dealing with the crap situation that is age-limits a lot easier.

I would say this was my two cents but I think this text wall classifies as at least a nickel.

I don't think you caught my complete idea about the new server. I could've explained it better, I suppose. What I meant by it is it would be an extremely lightly moderated server. They could give players from the main server the option to go on this server. They could give moderating powers to the teens who show potential after the 2 weeks and let them moderate that server. It'd essentially be used as a training server. Got a new mod? Throw them on there for a while.

It could also be used as a place where people caught doing bad role playing could go. It's all around a good idea for the server in my opinion.

Guest funnyfacegaming   
Guest funnyfacegaming

I'm 12 I have been told I roleplay good for my age and I feel like im the only one left

Guest Squidly   
Guest Squidly

I would love if they lowered the age requirement, just by one year. I agree alot of people under 16 (mostly 15 year olds) Have the ability to RP just as well as some of the older folk on the server. But the sad sad fact is,to many trolls and to many rule breakers are under 16. That dose not mean that there arnt people in there 20s-30s who dont troll and dont follow the rules (Seen far to many of em in my Experience..)

If I had to vote on this and it Accually count...Hm..Lower the Requirement.. Atleast by A year,that way people like you and me can get at least a chance to show that we can play and RolePlay just like anyone else. But for now,I stay active on the forms untill I can prove im ready for the server and the staff Recognize this or I wait A year and reapply then... ohh that will be a long year..

I'm 12 I have been told I roleplay good for my age and I feel like im the only one left

See? This is what I mean. Plus, you see people complain about lack of RP all the time (I watch some youtubers) and that's from people who are adults. People always blame teens for everything because for some people it's a troublesome age.

The majority always win. Like said previously, if there is a restriction, there is also a reason. We long thought about it but had to make a choice. I understand it is hard for the younger players who behave themselves and are mature but if exception are made it would be even worse. I think it is great as it is for the moment. Creating a server for younger players would only be a mess in my point of view since 3/4 of them would probably act without maturity breaking the immersion for pretty much everybody.

Slute    1

They put it there for a reason. They didnt have the Age limit but changed for reasons I am unaware about. Most people just aren't comfortable with letting in younger people, even if they are good and mature.

On note of letting in a 4th server for younger people, I personally think this is a horrible idea. I can see the whole "Play well enough and moderate the server" turn wrong already. People will just play good till they become moderators, then wreck havoc on the server.

This has been asked many times but to no avail it is ever passed. Let's not mention it is more of a task on reports, buying a new server, etc. Something the admins and Rolle dont have to deal with when they already have 3 servers on their hands.

They put it there for a reason. They didnt have the Age limit but changed for reasons I am unaware about. Most people just aren't comfortable with letting in younger people, even if they are good and mature.

On note of letting in a 4th server for younger people, I personally think this is a horrible idea. I can see the whole "Play well enough and moderate the server" turn wrong already. People will just play good till they become moderators, then wreck havoc on the server.

This has been asked many times but to no avail it is ever passed. Let's not mention it is more of a task on reports, buying a new server, etc. Something the admins and Rolle dont have to deal with when they already have 3 servers on their hands.

Like I said, look at the analogy. It's easy to throw someone out, so your wreaking havoc is invalid.

Slute    1

Like I said, look at the analogy. It's easy to throw someone out, so your wreaking havoc is invalid.

But you have to ask yourself, if you were in an admin or GM's position, and every minute you get a report about it, would you be sick of it? It's too much to deal with.

MrStevetic    0
I don't think you caught my complete idea about the new server. I could've explained it better, I suppose. What I meant by it is it would be an extremely lightly moderated server. They could give players from the main server the option to go on this server. They could give moderating powers to the teens who show potential after the 2 weeks and let them moderate that server. It'd essentially be used as a training server. Got a new mod? Throw them on there for a while.

The idea of a lightly moderated server is a bad idea. Considering we have some fairly strong moderating at the moment, bringing in new stock from an area where the same level of rules and regulations just aren't in the mix is a recipe for chaos.

Look, I can see what you're getting at, it's shiny and a nice community and you want to participate, but unfortunately there is a tonne of empirical data that has caused those that run the server to make the decision to limit the age.

Think of it like for lack of a better analogy- a strip club. You may think you're ready, and it's nothing you haven't seen before, but the first time you go in, you'll be thankful you had the extra time to wait and learn.

Slute    1

Think of it like for lack of a better analogy- a strip club. You may think you're ready, and it's nothing you haven't seen before, but the first time you go in, you'll be thankful you had the extra time to wait and learn.

That was the most accurate description I have ever heard.

The idea of a lightly moderated server is a bad idea. Considering we have some fairly strong moderating at the moment, bringing in new stock from an area where the same level of rules and regulations just aren't in the mix is a recipe for chaos.

Look, I can see what you're getting at, it's shiny and a nice community and you want to participate, but unfortunately there is a tonne of empirical data that has caused those that run the server to make the decision to limit the age.

Definitely a better analogy, but as I said before. Society looks at teenagers as drug head cigarette smoking alcoholics, when, don't get me wrong, a lot are. However, I don't think people understand that only 8% of all teenagers smoke. That's a proven fact from where I'm from. Why does society look at teenagers as gremlins? Golly knows. I see the troll aspect though. I experience trolls all the time, but the way I look at is is the test server is supposed to be a pain in the butt for the people on there, because they'll report the people and they'll get banned. It's pretty hard to fake RP btw.

But you have to ask yourself, if you were in an admin or GM's position, and every minute you get a report about it, would you be sick of it? It's too much to deal with.

That's why the people who moderated the server would be new moderators. I'm sure plenty of people would be up for the job of moderating.

While you have put across your point clearly and concisely, many have already suggested this previously and the answer will be no. The reason the age limit was added was not only because of the 'trolling' or 'bad RP' claims but it's because of the more adult, violent themes that are explored in this mod. If you made the scenarios seen in DayZRP into a film then it would be rated 18+, easily.

It's not a decision that was made lightly back in May and it's not one that will be overturned now. The community has already grown at such an alarming rate in the past few months that opening it up to even more people is not going to happen. Not to mention the hundreds if not thousands of people that have already been turned away previously because of the age requirement.

To all of those under-age reading this:

Part of being mature and growing up involves being patient, understanding rules and accepting them. It is hard to accept that a simple rule that you can't control is stopping you from playing here. However, the rule isn't in place to spite you or to belittle you because of your age, it's simply a requirement in the same way that a rollercoaster has a height restriction. It's in place for your protection as well the community's protection.

^ Truth, there is nothing more horrible as a GameMaster then seeing dozens of silly reports. It's way too much work for the staff team. Trust me we tried for long but it just didn't worked.

What we want here is a mature community and this involve sacrifice. It's for the best of what this community is all about, the roleplay. It's also the best for everyone. You have to think for the majority here.

Press    1
A) Add a server for people under the age of 16, and if they can play with no hassle for 2 weeks, let them onto main server. Why should the mature teens have to suffer?

This requires the allocation of significant resources. Staff would have to be created or promoted specifically to monitor the behavior of younger players. Furthermore, these younger players would then be promoted into an RP world where often very adult situations play out. This is due to the continued evolution of the server community, which has taken on new dynamics that would not, for instance, be particularly suitable for a 12 or 13 year old human being, no matter how mature they were. Frankly, they're a liability in many ways.

If anything, try to petition to get the age limit lowered by a year or so, but removing it completely creates many layers of additional complications.

And FYI, we don't actually say "aboot" any more than Americans say "axe" instead of "ask"... it's a matter of linguistic imbalance. We hear things that aren't actually there, because there are minor variations in how we all speak and hear languages.

the_more_you_know.jpeg