Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
R Steele

A rule involving restart abuse and hostilities

Rule about restart and hostilities  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Rule about restart and hostilities

• Yes
    • Yes, but with some changes (please specify in reply)
    • No (please state why in reply

R Steele    0

I spoke to Rolle and a few Staff before posting this in TS and Rolle told me to post it in here to get community input

There have been reports lately of people abusing restart to get an advantage. If nothing else this pattern might be a reason to add a rule about initiating and a restriction when within a certain time of restart. You would think common sense rule would define this for people but unfortunately common sense is not a common denominator among the players on DayZRP lately.

The rule I propose would be that hostile actions would not be able to be initiated once the 10 minute till restart message comes up. This would not affect hostilities that started before that and they could continue. You just would NOT be able to initiate any new hostile action after this time.

Some of the problems that were mentioned in the conversation on TS would be that some people might try to troll or bait into hostile actions after the 10 Min restriction starts since they know you could do nothing about it and that could cause problems. I also feel there are some people that would think they can break a settlements rules and CRs would have their hands tied by this rule to take action. I do feel something like this is needed though as I read a report discussion where someone waited til just before reset to do anything hostile when they had the opportunity to do it before, then used the restart to get an advantage that might not have been there otherwise.

I think the reason it was asked to be put here is so Rolle could see the communities thoughts on the rule as well as any thoughts on how it could be improved upon with others input.

Snow    1

Maybe change it so CRs are exempt from this, to stop people trolling at settlements.

TightPants    0

I think this goes to the common sense part of the server rules. It should be clear without making it another rule that it's not cool to initiate just before server restart. Of course if the victim is faster he can just log in and run away. But yeah +1 for this rule if it is true that this needs to be written in stone for some people.

Owen    16

I'm liking this. Hope it gets the go ahead.

R Steele    0

I see 1 no vote but no reason stated why. I would hope the person that voted no would come in and explain the reason for that vote as asked for.

Sin    127

No. You answer why in your own post:

This would not affect hostilities that started before that and they could continue.

No matter when hostilities started, if they run up until the time of restart, they continue normally after restart. It's up to the people involved to RP it out properly, and wait for everyone involved to get back online and pick up where things left off.

I read a report discussion where someone waited til just before reset to do anything hostile when they had the opportunity to do it before, then used the restart to get an advantage that might not have been there otherwise.

If we're thinking of the same situation, there were actually two formal reports involved. The guy who took advantage did so by insisting that everyone leave the camp because restart was coming and it was against the rules to log in or out of a camp if you're not a CR. This strikes me as absurd - a standing dispute should trump that phrase of the rules. That rule was put there to prevent people from ghosting in unexpectedly at random times and KoSing people. In the interest of continuing an active confrontation, I'd think that any sane CR would overlook that rule.

Anyway, the guy who took advantage of restart to gain favorable position got banned for metagaming or something, so everything works. I don't see the need for more rules.

P.S. - I am no vote #2

R Steele    0

No. You answer why in your own post:

This would not affect hostilities that started before that and they could continue.

No matter when hostilities started, if they run up until the time of restart, they continue normally after restart. It's up to the people involved to RP it out properly, and wait for everyone involved to get back online and pick up where things left off.

I read a report discussion where someone waited til just before reset to do anything hostile when they had the opportunity to do it before, then used the restart to get an advantage that might not have been there otherwise.

If we're thinking of the same situation, there were actually two formal reports involved. The guy who took advantage did so by insisting that everyone leave the camp because restart was coming and it was against the rules to log in or out of a camp if you're not a CR. This strikes me as absurd - a standing dispute should trump that phrase of the rules. That rule was put there to prevent people from ghosting in unexpectedly at random times and KoSing people. In the interest of continuing an active confrontation, I'd think that any sane CR would overlook that rule.

Anyway, the guy who took advantage of restart to gain favorable position got banned for metagaming or something, so everything works. I don't see the need for more rules.

P.S. - I am no vote #2

actually Sin that is not the same report I was talking about. The discussion I was talking about is where a person had their vehicle initiated a couple minutes before by another vehicle even though they had plenty of chance to do the same initiation for a while before that.. then using the restart to get into a position that never would have existed had the initiation not been done so close to restart

Jedediah    0

Hm, the problem with this is more that people abuse the reset to gain the advantage. I think that really, there is already a rule against this. That being roleplay over ruleplay. In a roleplay sense, a reset wouldn't happen, and shouldn't be used to gain an advantage. It's abusing mechanic for ingame means. So really, as long as everyone is playing fair, it isn't a problem. Though initiating before the reset has always been both a bad idea, and frowned upon.

Iiro    0

Yes, we need this. My side is when ever i log off the server magically rolls me back 1-2min in position so if i happened to log off in forrest near Stary i sometimes spawn in middle of the town just because i was there while ago.

So if someone would initiate on me and server restarts and i go back 500 meters from where they initiated on me and i think we all can see the problem in that.