Server time: 2017-08-17, 19:34

Sign in to follow this  
Naughty_Santa

DayZRP bad impression.

Hey

I'm a new guy here but I've followed the forums a bit and the conversations. Also I've watched a youtuber called PsiSyndicate play a bit.

It's because of him I checked out DayZRP. Having said that, his videos unfortunately give me a bad impression of the supposed roleplaying in DayZRP.

Now I don't know if there are servers that are a bit more lenient with the RP than others, but so far I haven't seen one single vid with good role playing. Role playing that convinces me that these are people who play a character. If you have such vids then I'd love to see them.

But so far PsiSyndicates videos have just given me a bad impression of the players in DayZRP. Swearing loud mouthed immature people with little to no in-game reason to act as they act in game. I have to say that looking through other youtubers vids, I see the same issue.

That is only my impression of it all.

I'll keep searching for better vids of DayZRP which hopefully will not deter me from donating and sending an application.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

There's a lot of bad roleplay going on, not just his and the people he comes across.

Too much focus on teamplay and firefights rather than roleplay!

Try and help improve the roleplay of others by doing some yourself.

Press    1
I'll keep searching for better vids of DayZRP which hopefully will not deter me from donating and sending an application.

If you take the time to review these forums, I think it's clear that this is a fantastic community filled with the good, bad and ugly (but mostly very, very good). Basing your impressions of an entire community (literally hundreds and hundreds of people interacting on thousands and thousands of different occasions) on videos posted by one dude is probably not a good idea. I would encourage you to either dig deeper or take the plunge and experience it for yourself.

Ghillie-Guy    0

I agree, he doesn't talk to every single person in the RP community. Settlements are the best place, In my opinion for RP, like Ravens Nest or Altar Castle.

If you want to see good roleplay, check BigLittleShorts out. In my opinion, he is a great roleplayer.

Flame    0

My role-play is far from the best, but me and a friend had an interesting role-play session a couple of weeks ago where he performed surgery on some poor chaps leg and after that, the subject of aliens popped up, pretty fun to be honest and I think everyone enjoyed the experience as it was a change from the usual militant role-play you see nowadays.

As for PsiSyndicates videos, I guess it all boils down to the fact that he is considered a "Youtube Celebrity" and there are some that get all giddy when they are in one of his videos, or they hope to be, hence why they act a little immature.

Don't let that discourage you though, there are plenty of players out there that can provide some great role-play!

EDIT:

There's a lot of bad roleplay going on, not just his and the people he comes across.

Too much focus on teamplay and firefights rather than roleplay!

That I can agree on as well if I'm honest, and quite frankly that's the reason why I don't play as often as I like.

In the vids I see a lot of things that could and probably would break immersion. Unfortunately. But I'll see what I can do with donating and find out for myself.

Guest Hakeem   
Guest Hakeem

i really don't see what is the problem with PsiSyndicate he does great commentary i find its full of funny things and very serious things. And about the swearing part people do swear in real life as well as gaming and if you don't like swearing just don't play the game or listen to the cometary its a part of life sorry to say.

Bill    0

Look for SafeString, he streams on twitch.

Great character he portrays and he does it very well.

Hakeem: I think you didn't either read the entire post or just plucked stuff out of it to comment on.

I don't mind swearing in any way but his vids makes every player in the game look very immature. The excessive swearing is a part of it. It makes an impression. A bad one in this case.

Frayzies    6

I popped up as Marty, a long-haired fellow, in one of Psy's later videos. While I won't try to claim that he is the most "of-the-right-mind" or intelligent individual, I do take the character, his dialect, his mannerisms, and his past/recent experiences very well into account when I roleplay him. The same goes for my main character Jasper, though I admit that Jasper has a more "serious" tone to him, as where Marty may come off largely as a comical one.

I get the feeling, Naughty, that you come from a roleplay community centered around either para, multipara, or novella text-based roleplay, or even a very well organized and regulated MMO roleplay scene. While DayZRP is unique for its spoken roleplay, we can by no means compare the quality of roleplay experienced here to the quality of roleplay that is typically provided by a closed-community literature junkie roleplayer's sect.

To put it short: DayZRP is made up mostly of gamers and is often their first roleplay venue. When experienced roleplayers from more traditional scenes come to DayZRP (tabletop, LARP, para, multipara, novella, and organized MMO) they tend to think the quality of roleplay is poor. This is of course justified in my mind, as I feel a large fraction of the roleplay that happens here, from an experienced roleplayer's point of view, is indeed rather poor.

Though maybe I'm just a cynic.

DunnZ    0

You'll find that most people either play primarily for/prioritize gear and combat before roleplay, or do mary sue's-ish, sadly.

Owen    13

Look for SafeString, he streams on twitch.

Great character he portrays and he does it very well.

That's true a great role player in my opinion.

Hofer    20

If you want to see good roleplay, check BigLittleShorts out. In my opinion, he is a great roleplayer.

This.

And also ZeroXiz

This.

And also ZeroXiz

Yeah that too.

I have to agree with Frayzies with his comments , the one thing i have to say thought is that people here tend to not really value there character and are to easily accepting of death. Now yes death is part of the game it is survival in a harsh environment , BUT if you don't value your character and you play more like regular dayz then it wont work out well.

One thing i noticed is people just running around shooting the crap out of zeds in towns and wasting ammo , the one thing i do is RP that even on my own i creep around looking everywhere for stuff and keeping an eye on what is around me .

The main thing though is just value your life more rather than ok who cares i can restart and be in same clan anyway.

We have the good and the bad. No need to make a fuss over it. The bad RPers will get what they deserve someday.

Meh, I think that many of the more "popular" youtube figures in DayZRP either are not great at roleplay, or are constantly hampered by the presence of fanboys who care less about roleplay than they do about the fact that they are around a "celebrity".

I personally have visited settlements maybe... 3 times... in total, since I started playing. In a voice based rp game, it is practically impossible to have a good rp session while there are 3 other groups of people all trying to shout their rp out over yours.

All the best RP I have experienced has been in small groups of 2-4 people travelling around together. One of my most memorable experiences was when I met a guy, and we spent almost two hours just walking and chatting. We didn't run at all except when zombies chased us in Krasnostav, we literally WALKED for almost 2 hours straight. Sound boring? Hell no, it was an awesome time, we were literally chatting the entire time.

Osaka    15

Psi usually runs alongside bandits. Bandits all have something in common, but don't rely on Psi's roleplay as the average roleplay on dayzRP.

It just shows the bandit side of it.

You should roll with some of the hero clans sometime. A lot of people here play to roleplay, not play to rob/shoot people.

Zhunk    2

Psi usually runs alongside bandits. Bandits all have something in common, but don't rely on Psi's roleplay as the average roleplay on dayzRP.

It just shows the bandit side of it.

You should roll with some of the hero clans sometime. A lot of people here play to roleplay, not play to rob/shoot people.

[align=justify]I disagree Osaka, I don't think that you can use the term "Bandit RP" and within it generalize all the "Bandit" clans.

Bandit Role-Play, is'nt bad. There's a way to make each role-play encunter unqiue and exciting. Nonetheless different from each other.

I don't think all the bandits have something in common. Ofcourse, there's a differnce between the role-play of a so called "Hero" clan and a "Bandit" clan, but only of the "surface level". There's more into it, other then "Bandit/Hero". Atleast that's how it is supposed to be.

There will always be a huge difference between bandit roleplay and other roleplay.

See, bandit roleplay almost always involves "Comply first, then roleplay".

Bandit roleplay takes all free will away from the person they are roleplaying with, and forces them to be the unwilling passenger on the ride you choose to take them on.

Now when you play as a "hero", both sides roleplay as they wish, there is the tension, the distrust, the wondering if you can really trust the person you just met who also has a gun. Both sides roleplay. Both sides have the same "power level".

Bandit roleplay is forced roleplay. You make certain you have all the power, then impose your roleplay onto the other person. The other person has no choice but to go along with it if he values his life.

Bandits only roleplay when they feel it is "safe to do so".

I have very little respect for bandit roleplay, no matter how well it is done. Now if all you bandits tried playing permadeath so hero clans could actually make a difference and kill the scum off the server, instead of them just coming back moments later to rob someone else after being picked up and regeared by the bandit clanmates with more gear that was stolen off someone else...

Honestly, the trend I have seen in DayZRP is one of the reasons I have personally taken to playing less. There is no incentive to be a "good guy" or a "normal civilian", as all you get to do is get a few goodies, just to be robbed again by yet another gang of thugs. So people get tired of it and decide to go bandit themselves so they can at least have something.

Not to say I want to see a server without bandits, as there does need to be the bad guys in every story... but what kind of story is it when everyone just becomes the bad guy...

Press    1

All I could add at this point is a bit of perspective and common sense ... on other DayZ servers, "RP" consists of your corpse being teabagged by the guy in the ghillie suit who just sniped you from half a mile away. No staff checking reports all day... no fat forums full of clan opportunities, videos and events... no foundation for conversation. One way or the other, no matter how you slice it, you have more opportunity for survival and interaction here than anywhere else.

Don't like the gift horse? Fine. Stop looking it in the mouth and shove off.

(Not to sound like too much of a dick, but come on people)

All I could add at this point is a bit of perspective and common sense ... on other DayZ servers, "RP" consists of your corpse being teabagged by the guy in the ghillie suit who just sniped you from half a mile away. No staff checking reports all day... no fat forums full of clan opportunities, videos and events... no foundation for conversation. One way or the other, no matter how you slice it, you have more opportunity for survival and interaction here than anywhere else.

Don't like the gift horse? Fine. Stop looking it in the mouth and shove off.

(Not to sound like too much of a dick, but come on people)

I can only agree with what you say, which is why I've donated and will send an application. If it goes alright, I'll see for myself the extent of the role play.

DayZRP is truely what you make it. The rules lay the group work on what you can and cannot do, and its up to you, and the community to build it from there. Yes, sometimes you will get screwed. Sometimes you will find horrible RP. But in my time here, that really far and few in between.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

Alot of this conversation seems to revolve around the concept of 'heros' and 'bandits'.

Who said you needed a gun to roleplay in the first place?