Server time: 2017-10-19, 14:50
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Jerry

Ban Appeal Forum

Jerry    22

So most forums that I have been on have a ban appeal section, but it is private.

To avoid all the bother of warning people that post in a ban appeal why not make the forum for ban appeals not viewable by anyone other than the GMs + Admins and the person that created the ban appeal.

You still have the option to post a thread there but it is the only thread you will be able to see if you post your ban appeal.

Just an idea, warning people doesn't actually take much time but with the influx of players it will save GM/Mod time.

I suppose this is directed at the staff team because everyone loves reading ban appeals, when really there is no need unless you're involved.

Soren    0

I would rather have them visible to everyone, but you can only post if you're OP or a GM/admin. :)

I think this has been suggested before.

Jerry    22

I would rather have them visible to everyone, but you can only post if you're OP or a GM/admin. :)

I think this has been suggested before.

Or that same deal I guess, I suggested it to Rolle a while ago when I was in staff.

I like the suggestion, but I like Soren's idea more (only I don't know if that's possible with myBB). You see, although we disallow people from posting in ban appeals, if they have NEW important information, they should PM a GM. But how can you know you have new important information if you don't even know there is an appeal in the first place?

Jerry    22

Well if you have information effecting the ban appeals verdict then surely you were involved in the report leading to the ban? or chances are, you know the person that has made the ban appeal.

ZeroXiz    0

Publicity about appeals and bans are needed, not only might it be important to the person making the appeal, but it's also important for staff, imagine the biased comments, they would be through the roof.

I like Soren's suggestion tho, that would solve the problem.

But then again, is this really needed?

Well if you have information effecting the ban appeals verdict then surely you were involved in the report leading to the ban? or chances are, you know the person that has made the ban appeal.

But in that case, how do you make it so those people can see the appeal, but others don't?

The rules are the only the OP and GMs can post in appeals. No one else, no matter how much you were involved. But people that were involved should still be able to see the appeals so they know when to PM a GM with new information. This isn't possible with an automated script.

Jerry    22

Publicity about appeals and bans are needed, not only might it be important to the person making the appeal, but it's also important for staff, imagine the biased comments, they would be through the roof.

I'm sure if staff were biased at all screen caps would be flying around, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be silly enough to be openly biased. That's like saying the whole community should see the staff chat, just in case there is any bias.

Yuval    2

For me it's a nope

Firstly people can't use other ban appeals as reference.

The punishment should be public, since the person most likely got banned i see no reason why to keep it private.

Jerry    22

But in that case, how do you make it so those people can see the appeal, but others don't?

The rules are the only the OP and GMs can post in appeals. No one else, no matter how much you were involved. But people that were involved should still be able to see the appeals so they know when to PM a GM with new information. This isn't possible with an automated script.

Only two people should be posting in an appeal, the person who posted it and the staff member involved. Ban appeals rarely to never have new information sent in by a bystander anyways, at least in my experience. Surely if someone had evidence to prove someone's innocence it would be presented in the report, and if someone managed to find evidence to prove someone was not guilty they would send it to the person whether or not they made a ban appeal, or be dicks and not send it at all.

For me it's a nope

Firstly people can't use other ban appeals as reference.

The punishment should be public, since the person most likely got banned i see no reason why to keep it private.

People shouldn't need to reference other ban appeals, the punishment shouldn't be public, there is zero reason for that.

But then again, is this really needed?

It brings down the workload for GMs, and if possible relatively easy to introduce.

ZeroXiz    0

I'm sure if staff were biased at all screen caps would be flying around, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be silly enough to be openly biased. That's like saying the whole community should see the staff chat, just in case there is any bias.

That's not really my point at all.

It's important both to the offender, the victim and the judgers for it to be open for the public. Just like courts in real-life. A confidential chat has nothing to do with publicity of an appeal/report.

Yuval    2

If a person finds another appeal which a person got an appeal with an exact reason to it, it could be used to help his appeal.

May be an extreme comparison but imagine that punishments for crimes IRL would be hidden.

Or if major people in the community got banned for no apparent reason (no formal report) and no ban appeal to show what happened. It will cause confusion and for the most part punishments are showed in formal reports. so the punishment is still public.

Goz    2

Formal reports and ban appeals due to nature of the server and how rules work should be public - why ? - They provide learning aspect to rules, show what is/isn't allowed.

Removing access to them doesn't benefit anyone but will only potentially bring more trouble due to people having less opportunity to see what is 'notlegit'.

Not to mention that having public view of this section is in the best interest of all non staff folks, can't see that 'privacy' would outweight it in any means possible.

Undead    313

I mean honestly the punishment is already public when the ban actually happens in the formal reports section. The verdict is publicly posted for reference. The ban appeal is really just the people saying that they should't have been banned. The ban appeal section itself is the place to present new evidence so I don't see why anyone else would need to see it to report new information.

If anything new actually comes up the person who found the evidence is very likely in contact with the person appealing and can just send him the new information to add to the appeal. I don't really see a huge reason to have the appeals to be visable to everyone atm other then a interesting read.

Formal reports and ban appeals due to nature of the server and how rules work should be public - why ? - They provide learning aspect to rules, show what is/isn't allowed.

Removing access to them doesn't benefit anyone but will only potentially bring more trouble due to people having less opportunity to see what is 'notlegit'.

Not to mention that having public view of this section is in the best interest of all non staff folks, can't see that 'privacy' would outweight it in any means possible.

In that case, Soren's suggestion would work: allow people to create threads, but in already created threads, only the OP and GMs can post. That way, people can still read the ban appeals, but they cannot post in them anymore which means we don't have to warn people anymore.

Goz    2

In that case, Soren's suggestion would work: allow people to create threads, but in already created threads, only the OP and GMs can post. That way, people can still read the ban appeals, but they cannot post in them anymore which means we don't have to warn people anymore.

And that can be done in 5/10mins in admin panel.

Toorrik    4

But if they are closed, you cannot edit your thread. So if you left something out or derped half way through, you cannot add/change it. I know people should be more careful and double check before clicking post but I can see it happening a lot. Unless there is some way to allow people to edit their post in a closed thread but only in the Appeal section (I know Mods and above can do it)

But if they are closed, you cannot edit your thread. So if you left something out or derped half way through, you cannot add/change it. I know people should be more careful and double check before clicking post but I can see it happening a lot. Unless there is some way to allow people to edit their post in a closed thread but only in the Appeal section (I know Mods and above can do it)

Not closed.

Surely there is an option in admin panel that allows only the creation of threads in a certain section, and make it so that only the OPs can post in these threads? And the GMs, of course.

Toorrik    4

Oh my bad, I read it as

but in already closed threads, only the OP and GMs can post.

Ignore me :)

Krimbo    0

Sounds good. Make it happen :)

Jerry    22

Whatever the limitations are I'm not too sure, I suggested this to help lower GM workload and either way works to achieve that.

It sounds like its easier to just warn people that not behaving.

And to be honest, nowadays it aint many that post in appeals...

Why fix something that aint broken...

Edit:

lol..

I almost wrote "Why brake something that aint fixed"

Tortov    0

I do approve of that saying Patte, why should we break something that isn't fixed?

Alan Woods    3

I agree with Papa.

People should know the rules and regulations on the forums and avoid the ban appeal section , unless he is the creator of a thread.