Server time: 2017-10-24, 11:36
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
J0kk3

Living off the land

J0kk3    0

Hi there, fellow survivors.

Now that farms are suggested, and we can already kill animals, how about also being able to "live off the land"? With that I mean being able to pick fruit, berries, roots and plants etc. growing in the wild. I know the ARMA engine isn't ideal, and adding items may be hard (I don't know, I've no experience with modding ARMA). This could become especially important since I seem to recall having read somewhere that DayZ is planning on implementing a nutrition systems, and although meat is good and all, you need some veggies too (gotta have those vitamins).

Now, I'm new around here, so please be gentle. If you don't like the idea, tell me why. I'm open for suggestions.

While I think it's a good idea I think it's too much to implement into the current mod and without scripts existing already within the ARMA community it could be incredibly complex to add into the game.

This is probably a feature that might come into play for DayZ Standalone with the level of complexity that it hopes to achieve with regards to your health and your characters dietary needs. I think though it may be a step too far for this mod.

Especially in a role play sense it doesn't quite work as there are zombies around who are carrying infection and are spreading it across the land. It wouldn't make sense to be growing crops on infected lands.

Guest Nath   
Guest Nath

"Imma live off the fatta the land, George!"

I like the idea, but in my opinion it doesn't suit rp

Diremast    0

Heya, first of all I would like to say welcome!

The idea seems nice in theory, not sure how it would work in reality since I do not know much about if you would be able to implement such a system without causing too much lag. I think an issue with this could be that it would become too easy to find food. There have already been a lot of talk about food being too easy to find already and I think adding this feature would make it even easier.

Also from a simulation standpoint you wouldn't expect all survivors to be able to "live of the land" since I for one wouldn't know anything about doing this on my own in a real zombie apocalypse.

But I like the general concept of the idea but if it would be implemented I think some rebalacing would be required to keep the general public satisfied.

I think that is a good idea tbh as no one has said how the infection is spread it could be air-born ?

J0kk3    0

A lot of good points raised here. Now, what I'm talking about here is a bush with some berries, or a tree with fruit or something. All you'd need is a "loot spawn" in form of a bush/tree which contained say 10 berries or two apples. Obviously, 10 berries isn't going to fill your hunger bar, and it most certainly wouldn't replenish any blood (canned food wouldn't either, but that's an issue for another day) but it might be enough to keep you going until you do find a can, or a sheep.

Also, maybe berries could have a chance to infect you, unless you washed them in (boiled) water, or dried them off with an antibacterial wipe?