Server time: 2017-10-23, 02:39
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Bob

The state of role play

Bob    0

I must agree with those who say that the role play on this server is shockingly bad, I met a few people today and apart from one or maybe 2 of them their role play was horrible.

I met 1 guy in the ATC tower at the NEAF I asked him why he was here ad he said "I was kidnapped and woke up" I asked him if he could tell me more but he really couldn't be asked!

Then another guy the worst I've ever seen! We meet him and pick him up in our car cose he shouted for help. He gets in we ask his name, and story. The usually western name with a plane crash involved (so generic). We ask him how old he is, he says "37" or some thing close, the guy sounded a lot younger. Later on he was disobeying orders so we shot him. So we role played it out and gave valid reasons, but before so he said "just shoot me I know your goin to" we were going to let him live but obviously he was pissed as just wanted to get killed to start a new character, e also shouted as we did it "thank you for killing me I'm happy now" it was obvious he wasn't RPing.

It's people like this who ruin the server and make role playing uninteresting when you can predict that they're going to be some navy seal Rambo god who crashed on a plane and is lookin for their sibling or relation.

I was just wondering does anyone else experience this??

Guest tpfrags   
Guest tpfrags

Yup.

I shall quote my all mighty saviour, John The Bear.

Sometimes i feel like this is a server with just certain rules rather than a roleplay server. Other roleplay communities come down hard on poor roleplay, yet sadly its a common sight here...

Bob    0

Yup.

I shall quote my all mighty saviour, John The Bear.

Sometimes i feel like this is a server with just certain rules rather than a roleplay server. Other roleplay communities come down hard on poor roleplay, yet sadly its a common sight here...

Couldn't agree more with that quote.

Ego    1

Im sick of poor roleplay. I am on the hunt for poor roleplay, im making a list, and I am planning on punishing them, you're on a roleplay server. Roleplay for f**k sake.

Major Tom    91

I agree, but you need to be the change you want to see. Record any bad RPers and do the best RP you can around others. Hopefully your good RP will prompt other people you meet to put in more of an effort.

I do think that the standard for RP is slipping a little bit, but the only solution is to record and report.

Slute    1

I always tell people to think of it as if you were an actor in a movie. Just think about what the walking dead guys will do!

Btw #hype for walking dead tonight.

If you guys go on any public garry mod darkRP or samp RP youd be suprised.

sure SAMP has a better roleplay group within its messyshittyguts unlike garrys mod....

but the same rules apply. come up with an awesome story. show the applicant reader you can read and your in.

As i've seen more and more bad RP reports are going up. if things keep up like that it will only get better!

as a note OP: this was discussed hundred of times in the general ask staff question thread.

Rolle    2970

That doesn't sound too bad, at least they tried roleplaying, it's not like they were OOC all the time?

Frisia    8

Im sick of poor roleplay. I am on the hunt for poor roleplay, im making a list, and I am planning on punishing them, you're on a roleplay server. Roleplay for f**k sake.

i support this

i support this

+1

Zigma    0

it would be cool to have some sort of *secrete shoppers* people that arnt admins that just play normally and report on bad roleplay and work with admins

or mayby more admins randomly promoted from random active players/forum users

pejay    1

it would be cool to have some sort of *secrete shoppers* people that arnt admins that just play normally and report on bad roleplay and work with admins

Should't everyone do it? ;)

This sounds like a good idea, i guess it is just finding people that wanna do it, i sure would be willing to devote my time to that.

Zigma    0

This sounds like a good idea, i guess it is just finding people that wanna do it, i sure would be willing to devote my time to that.

same man hopefully the admins atm like the idea and it would help *cleanse* the server abit

Rolle    2970

That's every players own responsibility to report any rule breaking and bad RP to us using reports. No need for secret spies for that.

Jerry    22

Its tolerable until everyone goes to the same place, then people just get bored sitting around and resort to semi trolling nonsense.

Zigma    0

That's every players own responsibility to report any rule breaking and bad RP to us using reports. No need for secret spies for that.

too be honest with more threads coming up like this it doesnt look like its working with everyday players being that some of them dont rolepaly anyway

The 2 R's once again, Record and Report. Simple.

I don't think we need to start some sort of witch hunt for bad role players. Some people may be new and settling themselves in and before you know it they're being reported just because they felt intimidated or shy.

Yes people trolling and repeat offenders of bad RP should be punished but having people dedicated to seeking out bad RP isn't the answer.

Also from what I've read, people have different ideas of what constitutes as good or bad role play, it's subjective and that's why the report system is there for a fair and balanced decision to be made by the staff.

Once again. Record and Report.

Diremast    0

Alright I'm just going to call it as I see it right now. I see all you people complaining about how bad people are when it comes to roleplay. But what makes you so good? What did you add to the interaction yourself?

Have you even asked yourself that? Most likely not.

You like going around pointing fingers to other people because you feel that their roleplay is bad. But you do nothing yourself to aid the situation. So you met this guy and picked him up, that's cool. Well yeah perhaps he did not have the most unique name, he may sound much younger that what he claims to be IC and you might have heard his background story countless times before. So what do you do, you instantly judge him because you greet people with a pre determined mindset about them.

And then what happens? You shot him because he did not did not follow your orders, never heard that before. But of course you would give him valid reasons before you shoot him, what was that about ruleplayers and roleplayers again? Because to me that only sounds you did what you had to in order to make a valid kill.

You seem quick to judge but I bet you have not thought about how you could have improved the situation yourself. All this complaining just makes you part of the problem at the end of the day.

You want to receive but you give little in return.

Lue    25

The worst roleplay I ever ran into was a guy in Cherno.... He instantly said "FRIENDLY FRIENDLY FRIENDLY!" when I saw him... he then proceeded to tell me his story since I asked... he was robbed and beat up and didnt know by who and was just dropped off down there... when we asked him if he needed any supplies or if he had anything he said "No I dont have anything, I just spawned- i just ran down here"..

I've had other people tell me they needed blood cause their icon was blinking... or food blinking, etc....

I've gone out of the way to tell people I don't know how to give blood bags before and they get really pissed like everyone should know how and that im just being a dick and dont want to help them.... im a mofo-hobo and people expect me to be a doctor?

I actually had a real doctor show me how to do it IC once and Willy learned how that way.. .but i've still determined that If willy doesn't practice what he learns and do bloodbags at least a few times a week he will forget due to his poor old brain.

Alright I'm just going to call it as I see it right now. I see all you people complaining about how bad people are when it comes to roleplay. But what makes you so good? What did you add to the interaction yourself?

Have you even asked yourself that? Most likely not.

You like going around pointing fingers to other people because you feel that their roleplay is bad. But you do nothing yourself to aid the situation. So you met this guy and picked him up, that's cool. Well yeah perhaps he did not have the most unique name, he may sound much younger that what he claims to be IC and you might have heard his background story countless times before. So what do you do, you instantly judge him because you greet people with a pre determined mindset about them.

And then what happens? You shot him because he did not did not follow your orders, never heard that before. But of course you would give him valid reasons before you shoot him, what was that about ruleplayers and roleplayers again? Because to me that only sounds you did what you had to in order to make a valid kill.

You seem quick to judge but I bet you have not thought about how you could have improved the situation yourself. All this complaining just makes you part of the problem at the end of the day.

You want to receive but you give little in return.

Kinda on the same page with this guy here... I've ran into a lot of poor RP but if they were actually trying? I roll with it and just try to spice it up as much as possible to make it a bit more easy to swallow... Theres a lot of new RPers giving this a shot for the first time... reporting them and getting them banned for trying is not what needs to be done... They will learn over time to get more creative as they start to unlock their imagination... some people have a hard time with that, believe it or not... its not something everyone is able to do well... Not everyone is a artist... a painter... a writer...

Some patience is called for with people who are TRYING... get that im saying TRYING... if their RP sucks but they are make a real attempt to RP, then suck it up as the more veteran RPer and do what you can to help them in that moment... giving them 1 word responses and being "put off" by them OOCly and letting it reflect ICly is poor RP on YOUR part....

No matter how appalling their RP may be, your character need to remain in character and provide them with the best RP you can provide... they will glean things off of your superior RP and eventually add those things to their own.... give it time..

Now people who don't even try and talk about game mechanics OOCly ingame like blinking icons and how many slots are in their backpack or other such horribly immersion breaking phrases... yeah... thats different... those people aren't really trying their best and I feel that needs to be addressed.

Tomeran    3

In the last couple of days I've had some of the best roleplay in my 13 month time in this community.

So, ups and downs? Maybe?

If you hang around at hubs, expect to see trolls. Like Jerry said:

Its tolerable until everyone goes to the same place, then people just get bored sitting around and resort to semi trolling nonsense.

The above statement is probably true in a lot of cases. Not always, mind you, as I've had some great encounters in hubs, but there is a clear degree of truth in what Jerry says.

Find people you like, that you can depend upon and roleplay with them. Roleplaying with "strangers" is a nice and essential concept, but there will always ALWAYS, no matter if we were the most shining beacon of RP perfection on the entire planet, be people that will make you cringe of bad RP or just general lack of RP.

LumberJack    18

And that is why we do not have the TP any more, and probably wont get it back. YAY!

Guest Katherine   
Guest Katherine

Just you guys wait, We are trying to make a really good event.

It is only getting better and better!

stay strong. :D

I agree with both sides of the argument but its how serious you want to play as RP , now you can do the way people do it atm , but if you want to make the char you play more valuable and people less likely to throw away the char life as easily as they seem to do now. if you start a char and i use mine as example - Nigel Jamieson he joins clan ABC now on the forums my name doesn't change and i am part of the clan , but in game if after 1 week i die when the clan does an attack on a enemy compound or to zeds or bandits, then i can restart with a new name but still part of the clan , the new char is a new member and can hear from the clan how the last member died a hero or whatever so gives the clan a sense of loss yet you technically have not left the clan as you started a new char in game this gives the clan a story to tell of a real loss this then enhances the RP for all people on the server .

This also places a very high value on chars like clan leaders so that those leaders now need to be very careful how they RP in the game . He will need body guards and protection all the time he is logged in. Now if he happens to die on the forums he is still clan leader but his new char isn't and of course someone takes over, this will place a higher value on chars in game and make people RP a lot better due to the fear of losing a char they have built and made a story that affects others on the server.

I know the question of fire fights and bandits will come up and none will take place , well that's not quite right it will make clans more cautious and do proper planning and intel gathering before an operation takes place .

Bandits can still be bandits but also don't forget in RL bandits and pirates usually aren't highly trained military personnel most of the time its farmers or unskilled ,uneducated people in extreme poverty and do what they do to survive.

Yes this is a game but its a game perfect for RP you can submerge yourself into the game and live the alter ego you want, but without having value on the char u wont really do it , it will just be a game.

My 2 cents worth :)