Server time: 2017-10-23, 07:55
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
SafeString

Settlements or just Anywhere Farming

Do you want farming in DAYZRP? Check the models Onion made on the 3 Page  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want farming in DAYZRP? Check the models Onion made on the 3 Page

• Yes
    • no

I have been playing Dayz RP for a while but unlucky my health took a turn for the worst. (But ok now) Any way just seeing how many town are coming up would it be much to ask for a Script where you can grow plants? Maybe uses this object as the seeds Land_bags_stack_EP1 or something else. Seeds would spawn commonly in barns.

Stages of growing

Plant seed

seed has set time EG 15mins to grow

seed once grown would produce 1-3 of what ever that can be cook and eaten and would give 1-2 seeds

This would make town work better...

I don't know how far Blizzard managed to make his plant script. I made him potato 3d model with different stages of the crop. He had started it already but I don't know how far.

ARhnNDW.jpg

I was asked to share the model, here it is in its all glory: http://www.jmsaari.net/stuff/3d/potato.rar

File is .FBX format, pretty much every 3d software can open it. Blender for example and 3ds Max of course. Includes textures also. If somebody wants to give a try, then by all means

Just pop a comment on what you think ?

Im just going to put this here :-)

I mean its not like it would be difficult as the scirtps are already floating about.

I can't see any scripts floating around, have you been taking drugs? :D

It sounds easy but it's a very complicated process in the code. Managing timers, status of the crops etc. Not sure it belongs in the DayZ too, it would feel a bit... Minecrafty.

Im just going to put this here :-)

Plantclass.hpp:

class CfgVehicles;

class marijuana : CfgVehicles
{
scope = public;
name = "marijuana";
model = "\ca\plants2\plant\pumpkin";
};

Stringtable.csv:

STRS_Drugs_Plant_Marijuana,You planted some Marijuana.
STRS_action_Drugs_MarijuanaBurn,Burn Marijuana
STRS_Drugs_Marijuana_NearlyReady,150 seconds till Marijuana ready.
STRS_action_Drugs_MarijuanaHarvest,Harvest Marijuana.
STRS_Drugs_Marijuana_Ready,Marijuana plant ready to harvest!

Variables.sqf:

planting		 = true;

Im still looking for other things as im not 100% how to implement it.. but its a start ;-P

Its worth noteing that city life has done this already

Rolle    2973

I mean its not like it would be difficult as the scirtps are already floating about.

I can't see any scripts floating around, have you been taking drugs? :D

It sounds easy but it's a very complicated process in the code. Managing timers, status of the crops etc. Not sure it belongs in the DayZ too, it would feel a bit... Minecrafty.

Tomeran    3

I like this.

Personally I'd like to see "lootable" cans of food to be phased out in favor for stuff you can hunt and grow. Sodas are now well-balanced in that regard, as they are quite difficult to find in cities. I'd love to see food as rare as sodas. Currently food drops are at least 5 times as common as drinks.

If we phased out that lootable city-based food, we'd need a replacement. There is hunting, but it would get boring fast. If we add fishing and farming, we'd have some alternatives. A big step in transforming the mod, I think. A good step.

It wont be like mine craft just some thing to replace having to go to supermarket to get food. or blowing a sheep's brains out

FireMatt    1

+1

It's realistic from an RP point of view and an IRL scenario. With food becoming more rare people would start to farm for food and would start living off the fat o' the lan'

(20 internet cookies if someone can tell me what that's from:))

+1

It's realistic from an RP point of view and an IRL scenario. With food becoming more rare people would start to farm for food and would start living off the fat o' the lan'

(20 internet cookies if someone can tell me what that's from:))

Of Mice and Men? :D

I think this would be a great addition as it would give the people who RP as farmers something to do that's more in their role/ Give more reason for people to choose other backgrounds.

Tbh its would be one of them big Game changes that would make dayzRp Diffrant from any other sub mod

Ancalagon    0

Well, i think its part of dayz, since its the apocalypse and growing your own food when the food of the old one is running out is normal.

I think it is aftermath, were you are able to loot the greenhouses around the map.

So they give you some kind of vegtables, pumpkins, potatos (IRA is gone...) and stuff.

WHich you can cook, like meat.

Would be a longterm project i think, dont know how hard to code it is, but i really think its a cool feature. the food respawns every restart i think.

TO grow it... yeah why not. but then you need seeds, where do you get them from?

And i think 15 in is too short. Growing plants is a long work, maybe after the next server restart (okay, you could plant it 5 min before the server restarts, but its longer than 15 min in the most cases)

Well, i think its part of dayz, since its the apocalypse and growing your own food when the food of the old one is running out is normal.

I think it is aftermath, were you are able to loot the greenhouses around the map.

So they give you some kind of vegtables, pumpkins, potatos (IRA is gone...) and stuff.

WHich you can cook, like meat.

Would be a longterm project i think, dont know how hard to code it is, but i really think its a cool feature. the food respawns every restart i think.

TO grow it... yeah why not. but then you need seeds, where do you get them from?

And i think 15 in is too short. Growing plants is a long work, maybe after the next server restart (okay, you could plant it 5 min before the server restarts, but its longer than 15 min in the most cases)

Just thinking if its longer then 15mins you might want to add more yield per planet but i don't think it will save so 15 mins sounds good ?

I like this.

Personally I'd like to see "lootable" cans of food to be phased out in favor for stuff you can hunt and grow. Sodas are now well-balanced in that regard, as they are quite difficult to find in cities. I'd love to see food as rare as sodas. Currently food drops are at least 5 times as common as drinks.

If we phased out that lootable city-based food, we'd need a replacement. There is hunting, but it would get boring fast. If we add fishing and farming, we'd have some alternatives. A big step in transforming the mod, I think. A good step.

Like Tomeran it hink it would be good to add fishing to help with things will really define dayzrp adding this idea

Ancalagon    0

No man, what do you plant, magic beans?

I dont want to add more yield, but its just too unrealistic to grow 3 times at one day foot - one after one on the same field. With 1-3 food/plant, it would simply give way too much food.

Frayzies    6

If I were to see some sort of plant-growing system added to the game I would want it to be realistic. Having food pop up after fifteen minutes sounds silly to me.

Two weeks minimum for your first apple or nothin' at all. (Granted apples don't grow in two weeks. :P)

Tomeran    3

Aye, food growing should take ages. Crops should be valuable as -hell-.

But if you need to wait it should produce more then just 3 carrots unless seeds were common as hell

Guest Tranqlotus   
Guest Tranqlotus

Maybe if we had some way of saving the crops but chance are they wont be. Food should either grow in like 15 mins and you get 1-3 food and seeds thing or have 45 mins - to a hour MAX to produce 1-6 food and seeds. But saving it every resatrt would need to much code as it would have to work like a car, player or anything else that saves to the hive.

Rolle    2973

Then there's no point in having them, you can just kill a few zombies or go to the supermarket to get a few cans of food.

But its the little thing like farms that make having a Town worth while as you dont have to sent out people. You can just pay off bandit. Ok so you might have to travel out to x area to get ammo but people want this and they want to build settlements, All i ask is to make it more easier for them

Rolle Would you atleast think about adding in the Farm/Crop system so Town can be more self supported ?

Tomeran    3

Then there's no point in having them, you can just kill a few zombies or go to the supermarket to get a few cans of food.

Then you missed the other point I was making in context to this.

In its current state, there is no point in growing food at all since it is RIDICILOUSLY easy to find(food is at least 5 times more common then drinks atm).

What I would like to see is "city food", as in, stuff you can loot in normal ways, to be gradually phased out.

Why?

Well, first because the current food availability is probably one of the biggest "realism"-violations in dayZRP at the moment. Second because it would be a hellova gamechanger. Desperation adds new tactics, new lines of thinking and new approaches that people have to try, and that means a new way of playing dayzRP, which in turns means the mod will be less repetative. By having "city food" turn extremly rare, through all sources(zombies, buildings etc), you force people into desperation a la 2017-style(an excellent source of inspiration).

Lets face it, being repetative is a big problem with the mod now, something only broken by the variations in people's roleplay and interaction with one another. So if we introduce a BALANCED system where people can try new stuff and new tools'n'methods to survive, then we're onto something really valuable.

Farming, fishing and hunting(currently a thing, but I vote there should be more to it. See the features included by the dog pets for examples) are excellent replacements to "city food".

Farming could generally be the most reliable source of food because the crops would practicly be guaranteed to yield it, in greater amounts. Whereas fishing and hunting produces better(as in, healing more) food but in smaller and way more unreliable amounts.

Realism would still have to be stretched though. 2 weeks for crops is a hellova long time to wait, I was more thinking a couple of days perhaps, or one week at most. That means crops, when finished, will be exceptionally important.

This should all be coupled with a greatly reduced "hunger" timer, where your character perhaps only needs to eat once per day, or perhaps once per restart.

But this is all, imo, talk about something that could be added WAY WAAAAAY into the distant future of dayzRP, when we are in a dire need of new innovating approaches to gameplay like this. perhaps they'll introduce something similar in standalone(I would not be surprised if they did.) and we can take from that.

Rolle    2973

Without food to be found quickly, people will die of starvation. No new spawns will have the ability to find seeds, find a safe location to plant them, care for them and process the crops to finally create some food. Even with an increased timer, that will just feel like a chore instead of a fun game mechanic.

Tomeran    3

Im not entirely sure that's the case, but we can have a debate about that in detail at some point if you'd like, Rolle. ;)

I do agree though, that under current circumstances, farming would generally be quite pointless.

Unless the farming crops is some sorta super-food.

"But this is all, imo, talk about something that could be added WAY WAAAAAY into the distant future of dayzRP, when we are in a dire need of new innovating approaches to gameplay like this. perhaps they'll introduce something similar in standalone(I would not be surprised if they did.) and we can take from that."

This would be nice tooo see devolop thought as food runs out

Without food to be found quickly, people will die of starvation. No new spawns will have the ability to find seeds, find a safe location to plant them, care for them and process the crops to finally create some food. Even with an increased timer, that will just feel like a chore instead of a fun game mechanic.

or maybe add a area out side of a settelments where you can grow the crops.

Jared    9

This could add more territorial conflict if people came and stole your crops or vice versa. I can see clans and groups setting up farmland at all the different settlements.