Server time: 2017-10-22, 17:23
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
gr1ves

New PC

gr1ves    3

Hey everyone, I'm planning to upgrade from my current PC to something with these specs;

Specs:

i7 4770K

16GB RAM

120GB SSD (Possibly change to around 250GB)

2TB Hard Disk

HD 7970 (Possibly Crossfire in the future)

No specific motherboard and brands for components chosen yet, I just wanted to get a general idea of how well I could run games like DayZ and Battlefield 4. I get around 30FPS currently in DayZ at 50% 3D resolution with everything set to Low so any upgrade would be definitely worth it.

Also if anyone could give me a general idea of the FPS I would get if I was recording as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yuval    2

maybe on 720P med-high...

Not the best build....

gr1ves    3

maybe on 720P med-high...

Not the best build....

What would you recommend instead? PC's are so expensive in Australia haha

Mattbro    0

Lol wut, my specs are almost half that and i can play DayZ on Very high with decent frames

Guest Vendetta   
Guest Vendetta

Grives you would max out battlefield and run ARMA / DayZ on Very High for sure.

at like 60 Fps

Brothers in processor we are! :D

But on topic, it will run the games no problem! Though my choice wouldn't go towards the 7970, but that's noice level related not performance!

GlitchyV2    0

Heh, Yuval is WAY off! ;)

You should be able to max out Battlefield 4 ~60fps, and run DayZ (and DayZRP) easily, atleast with RamDisk (at atleast ~45fps when recording)

The build is pretty neat! :D

Yuval    2

You should be able to max out Battlefield 4 ~60fps, and run DayZ (and DayZRP) easily, atleast with RamDisk (at atleast ~45fps when recording)

Lol Ik.. usually people who post beastly specs and asking if they can run it usually want to show off.. guess he was not one of them :P

GlitchyV2    0

Lol Ik.. usually people who post beastly specs and asking if they can run it usually want to show off.. guess he was not one of them :P

Great plan! xD

Yuval    2

Now foreal... There is a new series of GPUs from AMD, the R9 R8 w.e they are, you might want to check that, CFX isn't that great imo

Just make sure you have a proper OC mobo and a compatible case.

AND a good PSU to power it all, Seasonic G series or X series are great IMO.

gr1ves    3

Great plan! xD

I was like, 'What?! I guess I need to spend more money :(' haha this will be my first legit gaming PC. The one I currently have my dad gave to me, so I don't really know what I'm getting myself into.

Switch that 7970 with the new R9 280X, runs much cooler with a slight frame rate boost at a lower price than the 7970.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125475&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Would you suggest an R9 280X over a GTX 780? I think I would rather a 680 over a 7970 but I was thinking about saving a bit more and getting the newer generation. I'm not too fussed about brands, whatever will give me the most bang for buck!

I wish I could purchase the parts off newegg, would save me so much money but unfortunately they don't ship to Australia :(

Yuval    2

If you need more money for a better GPU get a 64GB SSD instead of a 120 one, SSDs atm are really expensive, and you should go for a 780 or a New gen AMD GPU (GTX 780 since GPU BOOST 2.0, which OC your card for you if you don't want to play around with it)

gr1ves    3

If you need more money for a better GPU get a 64GB SSD instead of a 120 one, SSDs atm are really expensive, and you should go for a 780 or a New gen AMD GPU (GTX 780 since GPU BOOST 2.0, which OC your card for you if you don't want to play around with it)

Well, I'm still saving at the moment so hopefully by the time I'm ready to purchase everything, SSDs are a bit cheaper. I'd prefer if I could have a decent size SSD as well as say a 780 but the graphics card is a bigger priority and I guess I could always upgrade the SSD later on. I just wanted to get an idea of what I should be saving for!

I'm willing to dish out as much as I can so I won't have to purchase another PC for quite a while.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it! :D

Guest ash   
Guest ash

I honestly would not recommend a 780, I hate people who recommend Nvidia all the time and don't really know what they are talking about. The 7970 out performs the 780 in most tests, and comes at a much lower price. I would recommend the R9 280x over both because it is newer, runs cooler, has similar if not better performance, and is cheaper. AMD can always release new drivers, the current ones are beta and therefore do not show their best performance, yet still competes and beats the 780. When the newer drivers are released, the performance boost will be immense. Just look at the 7870, the drivers it uses now give it 45fps more in Skyrim than the original drivers...

Yuval    2

Ash, As a AMD guy i agree, BUT Nvidia has software which makes gaming on a PC easier, like the fact that the GPU itself OC's itself to the performance you like, without you touching a thing. and other stuff like that driving thingy which makes everything easier.

Guest ash   
Guest ash

Ash, As a AMD guy i agree, BUT Nvidia has software which makes gaming on a PC easier, like the fact that the GPU itself OC's itself to the performance you like, without you touching a thing. and other stuff like that driving thingy which makes everything easier.

MSI has some really nice AMD cards with Aftermarket additions such as Afterburner, which is similar to Nvidia's control program.

Guest ash   
Guest ash

I meant GPU Boost 2.0

Ah, I figured you were talking about their control center thing. Which is what afterburner is for MSI AMD cards :P. But also, you gotta remember mantle, the "directx killer" which is made by AMD, and is likely going to be used by most new release games. (Battlefield 4 uses it already).

gr1ves    3

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll be switching out that 7970 for a R9 280X. Any motherboards you guys would recommend? I might possibly try crossfire in the future and will most likely be over-clocking the CPU and GPU but not too hard-out.