Server time: 2017-08-18, 05:11

Rolle

Ask the admins

Rolle    2444

There's been a lot of speculations and rumors going around the DayZRP community recently. To help to remedy the problem the admin team has decided to open up this thread where you can ask the server owner and the server admins any questions you may have - even the controversial ones - surrounding our work on DayZRP and allow more transparency about our work.

However, we won't answer questions regarding DayZRP security measures, personal matters or other information that may compromise someones privacy. No discussion is allowed in this thread, only serious questions should be posted. Any posts that do not follow the template will be deleted and/or receive warnings.

Only Server Admins are allowed to respond to questions in this thread. Use the template below to post your question(s), so it is easier for us to track and respond to them. Leave answer fields empty, we will write our answers there.

Asking: /any admin

Q1.

A1.

Q2.

A2.

Q3.

A3.

PCJames    152

Asking: any admin

Q1. How often are staff applications viewed and considered?

A1. The simple answer is on an as needed basis. We do not have a specific timetable but when we view that we need to increase the size of the staff roster or have a specific requirement for a particular staff level that is when we will review the rather significant list of potential applicants. On rare occasions we may invite specific people to staff who have demonstrated exceptional character even when we do not have this need.

/Caesar.

Daniel    2

Asking: Rolle

Q1. When will we get any information about the settlments?

A1. When we have fixed the major bugs in the current mod. If we feel the settlements get delayed too much we will introduce the ones we currently have ready. No ETA at the moment, unfortunately.

/Rolle

Jerry    15

Asking: Any admin

Q1. Are you afraid the banning of long term members are destroying huge clans causing the DayZRP experience to get worse?

A1. We are not afraid to ban people who we perceive have created sufficient problems on the server to justify their removal. We never take banning people lightly and when we remove people we specifically do it to improve the experience of the servers players.

/Caesar.

Huge clans provide one kind of experience, small clans provide something different. There have been times when the server was dominated by 2 or 3 large and powerful clans with little left over for anyone else, and there have been times when no large clans have been particularly active. There's attractive elements to both scenarios, and everything in between. Clan politics virtually never enters the equation. Permanent bans are determined based on the de/merits of the player and his actions alone. Other than that, exactly what Caesar said.

/Sin

Msheister    0

Q1: What do you think about psisyndicate playing dayzrp and the people he brings.

A1: PsiSyndicate is another player to us. He does bring a significant amount of traffic to the server which we of course have to deal with in some respects such as increased whitelists/reports, it naturally also causes increased donations. This will naturally cause increased workload for the server staff. As with many things, there are good and bad parts about it. But most of the bad parts are not PsiSydicates' fault himself, everyone has free will and takes responsibility for their own actions.

/Caesar.

AndyPandy    0

Asking:Any Admin

Q1: What is the actual story and reasoning behind the banning of Jamie and Jolieto, we've heard alot of rumours, such as past problems/issues as well which were supposedly "Dealt with" - Can you shed some light on this?

A1. A few months ago Jamie designed and wrote admin menu for use in events that allowed to spawn various vehicles, enable server side ESP, god mode and other tools that allowed server admins to monitor in game activities. A testing version was accidentally uploaded to the live servers without it being checked for errors. In that testing version the admin menu was accessible to the devs. Jamie exploited that and used admin tools for his own advantage. The security hole was soon found by me, when confronted Jamie promised he didn't use it, I had no proof to believe otherwise, the admin menu didn't use logging at that time. I chose to believe him, after all we've known each other for months and were really close.

After a month or two we've received disturbing news about some users finding vehicles and people on the map (common signs of ESP use). Some time after that we received proof in form of screenshots from an anonymous source where you can clearly see ESP being used by multiple users, one of them was Jamie. Bans were issued for cheating as soon as we got the proof. After some investigation it turned out that Jamie, who hold the private key used to sign the mod files, modified the files to include the hacks in them and then signed them with that key, so the files looked legit to the server. He shared those files with other people who used them as well. Jolieto knew about this all along and chose not to inform anyone, additionally we have found that he has been banned from DayZRP months ago has been using a VPN since.

They server keys have since been then changed, I am the only one with access to them and I have improved security measures surrounding the mod and access to tools.

/Rolle

Guest Kjordy   
Guest Kjordy

Asking: Any admin.

Q1. Will the TP - or something similar - ever make a return?

A1 Probably not. There are no immediate plans to implement it, but the idea is still alive, and something that gets trotted out from time to time, but usually gets put down.

The big problem with the TP of course is the constant trolling that took place there once the server reached a certain threshold of population. We still have that today, but it's focused on camps and settlements, and therefore spread out a little bit more than it was with only the TP on the map.

The secondary problem is the whole 'admin approved' aspect. It's unrealistic to have a designated safe zone. I'd love to see a real trading post arise naturally, and think that one, or something like it, would arise naturally, but it's up to the players to make it happen.

/Sin

TomG    0

Q1: Will forum name changes ever happen?

A1: Probably not, it causes confusion when keeping track of warnings, user reputation and when handling reports.

/Rolle

Msheister    0

Q1. Will there be a server 3 dayzrp on a different map?

A1. Yes, it is planned. It is very complicated though, because custom DayZ maps do not follow the normal DayZ code development. For example, Panthera island still uses DayZ 1.6.1 code.

/Rolle

Guest Paddy   
Guest Paddy

Asking: Any Admin

Q1: What was the full reason for Winslows ban, for all he was a trouble maker on the forums at times, surely he gave a positive input more than a negative input? Was it really fair to give him a straight up ban?

A1: The 'full' reason was already explained in the report he was banned in, it was reexplained in his ban appeal. Furthermore his behavior after the fact has closed any slight chance he would have had to convince us the ban was not fair.

/Caesar.

Guest tpfrags   
Guest tpfrags

Asking: Any/All Admins

Q1. Are you satisfied with the current state of roleplay on the servers?

A1. No /Sin

Over the more than a year DayZRP has operated we have progressed from what in essence was a no KoS server to a fully functioning RP server. It has been a slow progress as we have had to make incremental changes. We are still not done yet and have plans to further encourage the adoption of great RP on the server.

/Caesar

Q2. If not, what is being done to combat said situation?

A2. I don't look at it as 'combating' the situation, so much as improving it. We're always looking at massaging the rules in order to better promote RP. We are specifically selecting new staff with an eye toward improving the importance and quality of role play on the server. We're raising awareness through the forums and posting examples of especially good RP, and trying to lead by example. Cultural change is a long, hard job. It'll take time, but we're making progress.

/Sin

We are doing this through many different ways. We have increased the purview of the rules to include many more situations and generally rewritten them to encourage more in depth encounters. More recently we have implemented a roleplay > ruleplay requirement and we will punish those who are found to be following only the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit of the law. Additionally we have considered many positive initiatives, none of which are at an advanced enough stage to really mention. Sufficed to say we are considering both the carrot and the stick approach to mold an RP culture we can all be proud of.

/Caesar

Guest Terry   
Guest Terry

Asking:Any Admin

Q1: Do you believe anyone has ever been banned improperly or too harshly but because no appeal was made you couldn't un-ban them?

A1: It's probably happened. Almost certainly (can't think of any off the top of my head, but ...). We're only human after all; but we do the best we can with what we have and know at the time. There's a very good reason that no ban is issued that hasn't been reviewed by several sets of eyes. Sometimes (rarely) we determine after the fact that a penalty may have been too harsh; in such cases, we usually go easy on the player in question next time around. It all works out. There's a reason we have a 3 strikes / 30 days policy as well. Now as far as not being able to un-ban? Doesn't happen. If we decide to, we can alter or rescind bans any old time. If we do so, the player in question will be notified via PM.

/Sin

Asking: any Admin

Q1: can we expect to see clan skins sometime in the near future, and if so how will they be selected?

A1:. Never mind, already answered..

Q2: There has been talk about making this experience more realistic. Do you think its possible to have a server dedicated to first person only, if only just to test it out to see how the community responds?

A2: Is it possible? yes. However when making changes like this realism is not the only concern. We realize remote viewing or 3rd person is not realistic at all. However as a feature it enjoys large levels of support and in creating a first person only server we would be catering to the minority only. In essence we have to consider both realism and enjoyment for everyone.

/Caesar

Jerry    15

Q1. So the community has gone through a lot of changes, IC and OCC rule changes etc, you for one know the old days Rolle, "Drop weapons 5 secs" deal. So I ask you this, back then were you happy with the way the server was? (not knowing that we could change to this IC/OOC roleplay.)

A1. I was neither very happy or mad about the server situation back then. It was DayZ, but without KoS and it was good enough for me, even if the player interaction was appalling. We could barely fill one server on weekends and sometimes it never exceeded 20 players. The name DayZRP however is a commitment to RP, so the change had to be made to keep it. Do I regret switching to full role playing model? Not at all.

/Rolle

Blackfire    0

Asking: Rel/Rolle

Q1. How do you feel about the current attitude on this server towards banned and punished members of the community, and how do you believe they should act?

A1. It's bad, but it's been worse and we have recovered. I believe that if we continue on the current path set for the staff about handling these issues, I believe they will be solved within 2-3 weeks.

Q2. Due to recent events a lot of reports have sprung up to due to extreme lack of respect for the role playing on this server. How do you intend to fix/reprimand the cause of these problems.

A2. Harsher bans, quicker ban handling, stricter whitelisting process, better rule clarifications.

Q3. Are you planning on taking this MOD into any specific direction? expanding such as more servers, making partnerships with other MOD owners, or branching out into any specific or non specific direction.

A3. There are the obvious plans for standalone, we will expand into that ASAP. There is also something I am working with one of DayZ developers, it may be considered a "half-standalone". More details will be announced when we get a working version.

/Rolle

Msheister    0

Asking: Any Admin/GM

Q1: When will the British Special forces skin pack be implented.

A1: In the near future, once we've fixed the major bugs in the current client and have time to work on new features.

/Rolle

Guest Paddy   
Guest Paddy

Asking: Any Admin

Q2: Why is it that after months of requests, that the Clan Skins have yet to be implemented? Surly its not that hard to put them in?

A2: It's not hard code-wise, it is hard to make it fair to everyone. The idea of clan skins was scrapped (they are no longer under development or consideration), simply because we couldn't find a way to implement them and make it fair for everyone at the same time.

/Rolle

katt    2

Asking: Rolle and Rel

Q1. How much time do you two spend each week on the mod itself? (Anything that you would call "work" within the mod)

A1. 40-60 hours - Rolle

A1. On this last update? None. - Rel

Q2. How often do you play on the servers as a "civilian" (just to enjoy playing)

A2. None, I don't have time to play the game "normally". I usually only enter the game to test things or to do events. /Rolle

A2. I don't really play as a civilian as often as I would like. If I'm ever in the game, I'm usually monitoring players or activities in the server. - Rel

Jerry    15

Q1. So when you started banning all of S-GRU all those days ago, did you expect the bring back S-GRU threads from random people?

A1. No, I did not expect that at a time. I agree it was a hasty and bad call back then, but at the time the emotions were stronger. The incident has however resulted in improved protocols and communication within the staff before executing "big" decisions, especially when issuing permanent bans.

/Rolle

TomG    0

Q1: If you cannot decide a fair way to implement clan skins, have you considered letting the community come up with ideas or solutions?

A1: We have considered multiple solutions within the staff, as well as those suggested by users in the clan skin threads. In the end no solution could be found. It was always one of the following problems:

1. Some clans get a skin, some don't

2. There is not enough unique skins to give out

3. Not registered clans or pick up groups are at an advantage, they cannot be identified

/Rolle

kakan    0

Q1. Who is the oldest ACTIVE member on this forum, excluded you :)

A1. You are ;) Livs was, until recently.

/Rolle

Guest Terry   
Guest Terry

Asking: any admin

Q1. Are you recruiting for staff at all?

A1. Not actively at this time.

/Caesar

Tortov    0

Asking:Rolle

Q1: I am aware that this is a difficult question, but your old friend TheBorg said that he originally suggested the idea of RP on DayZ to you. Is there legitimacy in his claim?

A1: Not a difficult one at all - to be completely honest, I can't remember that he did. I know we played on my public HIVE server and did various things with some people, but don't recall him giving me ideas for the server.

Q2: Another difficult question, it's common knowledge that the majority of donations are made with the intention of also receiving an in game skin. Seing as these skins were produced by Arma II developers do you feel like you're getting money from their work, regardless of the fact that skins are only gifts?

A1: No, skins are kind of "leased" to you. You do not get the skin permanently or any rights to it. All copyrights of the game assets and content still belong to Bohemia. A good comparison is Minecraft servers where you can donate for stuff, AFAIK Mojang does not get a cut from that.

/Rolle

Archer    0

Asking: any admin.

Q1 What do you believe to be the primary cause behind the obvious decline of the quality of role play on the server?

A1 Not sure to be honest, maybe people getting bored of the game / not having goals? You do stupid things when you are bored. It's hard to find goals in a sandbox game like DayZ, we were thinking about random generated events like in Wasteland missions to keep people occupied and create a common enemy.

Q2 How do you plan to improve the quality of RP, and how will you enforce it?

A2 Answered above, harsher bans, quicker rulings, clearer rules.

/Rolle

TomG    0

Q1:What was the real reasoning for Slips ban and why did he agree to his permaban?

A1: That is his personal business and we will not be answering this.

/Caesar

He has said that were he in Rolle's position, he would do the same thing. He understands and accepts the ruling.

/Sin

I'd tell you, but the others would get mad at me.

/Rolle