Server time: 2017-10-18, 16:48
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick

Can you ignore people?

Guest Patrick   
Guest Patrick

Hi, I was curious if you are allowed to ignore people who you know are going to kill/rob you? Yesterday me and my friend were being chased by these people who kept saying stop then they initiated on us but we never replied to them because we were trying to escape. I am looking just for a general answer please :D

If someone intiates on you and you ignore it, be ready to have your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

IMO, at the very least, runing away from someone for an indefinite amount of time is bad roleplaying.

Thumper    0

Umm, technically that will not protect you. You are knowingly avoiding RP interaction, and if you are within comms and text range, they could still fire for noncompliance. Just because the rules say:

You have to make contact with the target before initiating a hostile action against it. Contact is made when the player has responded to or otherwise acknowledged your message.

That doesn't release you from noncompliance. Just like being AFK does not protect you. This is more going on ruleplay than roleplay.

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

IMO, at the very least, runing away from someone for an indefinite amount of time is bad roleplaying.

Tomeran    3

Just thought I'd cement what other people are saying here: It is not going to work. If you are running away when you have heard the bandit's initiation, and if that initiation is properly done, then you are going to get very legitimatly killed.

You CAN try to escape bandits and stay away from them or hide if you see people you suspect are hostile. There is no bad RP in trying to escape or hide. If they havent initiated on you and you suspect they may not have friendly intentions in mind, then by all means, stay away, or fight.

What is colossaly bad, and what you should not do, is to try to dodge a legit initiation by simply trying to claim the "make contact" rule mentioned by thumper above. If staff finds evidence that this was the case in a report, we will banhammer the victim to a bloody pulp.

Guest Patrick   
Guest Patrick

Sorry you guys have it a little confused im not trying to go by that rule that(You have to make contact with the target before initiating a hostile action against it. Contact is made when the player has responded to or otherwise acknowledged your message.)

I mean like I wanted to escape without responding, wasn't trying to loophole the rules guys,

Tomeran    3

Sorry you guys have it a little confused im not trying to go by that rule that(You have to make contact with the target before initiating a hostile action against it. Contact is made when the player has responded to or otherwise acknowledged your message.)

I mean like I wanted to escape without responding, wasn't trying to loophole the rules guys,

If you havent been initiated upon but you fear imminent robbery, you can run away and escape as much as you want.

Once/if that initiation hits, then its a whole different deal. 99.99% of all bandits will shoot you if you try to escape when you're initiated upon, and they'd be well within their rights to do so.

Krimbo    0

If you want to purposely not talk in order to avoid roleplay you don't deserve a place in our community. Imo.

Guest Patrick   
Guest Patrick

I wasn't avoiding role play I was stalling to live longer which actually didn't end up working :(

Elissa    0

If you are one of the men who ran away for over 4 minutes while a Ural and 6 people running next to you not responding at all then it is bad rp or at least trying to avoid rp.

We had intended to talk to you but you refused to say anything. Until it just lost any point of trying to have any meaningful conversation. No emote or acknowledgement of people whooping and hollering trying to get your attention and you just kept jogging along. How would that even work IRL?

At least an emote like, -stares over his shoulder eyes wide- or saying something like "Leave me alone!" while running would of worked. You are not going to be getting away from the truck and that many people. I find it hard to believe someone IRL would not have any reaction to such a spectacle. Or not even say "What do you people want?"

I have been chased several times and always interact like this:

[video=youtube]

I was even being chased by hillbillys as well. It turned out to be a hilarious role play.

Guest Patrick   
Guest Patrick

Ah, ill try it like that next time, lol you guys reminded me of the movie texas chainsaw where the people kept chasing them haha

Chrome    0

I don't know if fleeing from what could be a bad situation would be "ignoring" the other players. I recall one time where I was ducking through a forest on my way from the NE airfield and heading west towards NW when I spotted a player standing alone out in a field. I stopped for a moment to check him out through my binoculars, and he did the same. Next thing I know there's two other players coming up from the other side of the hill and they are all running towards me. They were still quite a long ways off, far beyond voice or text chat and thus I bolted back into the forest. I ended up losing them by initially running north before veering off west again. I hid behind a tree once I'd gotten pretty far off my initial path and saw them running up the hill I had veered away at. I'm not if they were friendly or not, but since I was alone I didn't want to take any chances.

If you are one of the men who ran away for over 4 minutes while a Ural and 6 people running next to you not responding at all then it is bad rp or at least trying to avoid rp.

We had intended to talk to you but you refused to say anything. Until it just lost any point of trying to have any meaningful conversation. No emote or acknowledgement of people whooping and hollering trying to get your attention and you just kept jogging along. How would that even work IRL?

At least an emote like, -stares over his shoulder eyes wide- or saying something like "Leave me alone!" while running would of worked. You are not going to be getting away from the truck and that many people. I find it hard to believe someone IRL would not have any reaction to such a spectacle. Or not even say "What do you people want?"

[video=youtube]

I was even being chased by hillbillys as well. It turned out to be a hilarious role play.

That is by far my favorite thing on the internet for probably the next 10 minutes. Just saying...... +1 for the rednecks!

Tomeran    3

[video=youtube]

ROFL!

The "thanks Obama"-part had me in stitches.

Guest Elgirts   
Guest Elgirts

I'm going to take a chance and attempt to interpret the OP's original intentions here. Correct me if I am wrong. The OP is describing a scenario where a potential hostile initiates on him. In his RP choices available to him, he chooses not to answer. (Silent treatment) I believe he is asking if this is a viable RP option. (Note, he is not doing it for bad RP purposes, but rather as a form of a RP response to the initiation in the 'character's' hope that his problems will go away. At least that is my interpretation of what the OP is asking. Of course we know that may not work out well, but that's besides the point.)

My answer to the OP's question would be that the simple act of ignoring an initiated challenge is in fact a response in and of itself thus completing the requirements for a proper hostile engagement allowing the hostile party take action on you.

MartinJ    1

The issue I think only starts once OOC is mixed into it i.e. you deliberately avoid touching your mouse and keyboard to appear AFK hoping your potential robbers will give up. That's obviously bad practice.

If you're just giving them a silent treatment but also roleplaying with them (via emotes) then that's fair play and a situation they should be ready to deal with.

Guest Patrick   
Guest Patrick

I'm going to take a chance and attempt to interpret the OP's original intentions here. Correct me if I am wrong. The OP is describing a scenario where a potential hostile initiates on him. In his RP choices available to him, he chooses not to answer. (Silent treatment) I believe he is asking if this is a viable RP option. (Note, he is not doing it for bad RP purposes, but rather as a form of a RP response to the initiation in the 'character's' hope that his problems will go away. At least that is my interpretation of what the OP is asking. Of course we know that may not work out well, but that's besides the point.)

My answer to the OP's question would be that the simple act of ignoring an initiated challenge is in fact a response in and of itself thus completing the requirements for a proper hostile engagement allowing the hostile party take action on you.

Thank you very much for the answer, I appreciate that.

SweetJoe    388

Not going to lie, i didnt read all the users posts, but i did read the first page.

Listen, avoiding someone you think is dangerous, is "good role play" if you in game would decide to do so, and if your not using outside information to come to that decision.

Noticing they are following you and deciding to run like hell and try to lose them, is "good role play" if you would "in character" decide to do so.

if those people try to talk to you, and you are afraid and continue to flee after more than a mile or 1.something KM away, that is "good roleplay", if your character would chose to do so.

However if anyone gives tells you to do something "or else you'll be shot/harmed/blown up/stabbed/murdered/raped/hung from a tree and call betty/ tied to the rail road tracks and made to be fed upon by roamers, than you have to do so or they have the right to harm you or anything else they want to do against your will. [rape is not ever allowed]

Doing what your character would do, is good roleplay.

Diggy    0

If you ignore someone who initiates on you, I personally see it as poor role-play on your part. Just because you are experiencing an event in which you may be killed or robbed, doesn't justify taking a RP experience from the attackers. If everyone just ignored their initiator, robberies would be even more unbearable.

Caesar    438

Hi, I was curious if you are allowed to ignore people who you know are going to kill/rob you? Yesterday me and my friend were being chased by these people who kept saying stop then they initiated on us but we never replied to them because we were trying to escape. I am looking just for a general answer please :D

No matter the reason you do this for it is poor form.

If you do this to try and avoid an initiation, it is ruleplay and ineffective at protecting you anyway.

If you are just doing it to avoid interaction it is poor form and you should consider why that is a good idea at all.

Simple, if people are talking to you. Reply to them.

The only exception is if they are not in range to talk to you. In that case avoiding a possibly hostile situation is legitimate. However if they are already talking to you and you can hear them, ignoring them as you did is nothing short of infuriating.