Server time: 2017-10-21, 23:25
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kjordy

New Rig?

Guest Kjordy   
Guest Kjordy

Decided to scrap my console and move to full time PC gaming. I still have a lot to learn about all the components and whats best to use. Need to work for another month or two and I should have enough to upgrade my rig. I'm planning on getting:

Intel i5 4670

Asus GTX 660 2GB

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard

8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM

How do you guys think this would run most popular, demanding titles? Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4 etc.

Also, Dayz. How drastically would this improve my frame-rate? I'm getting 15/20 at the moment, and can't even be bothered to play with that. It's not enjoyable.

Would quite like some feedback on my build. I'm an amateur after all, any tips would be appreciated.

kakan    0

I'm just guessing now but

Battlefield 4 low- maybe medium (still im beta)

Dayz 30- 60top

GlitchyV2    0

A pretty decent rig, but you could always get some AMD/ATI stuff too ;)

Battlefield 4? Atleast high, as fills EA's recommended requirements!

Assassin's Creed 4? Google "Assassin's Creed 4 Game Debate" :D

DayZ? With RamDisk ~40-70fps i think...

The rig is pretty good for an amateur build! Unfortunately i can't really write more now, but if you PM me i am more than happy to give you some more info when i can :)

Edit: Oops, misread that MOBO, do what BigLittleShorts said!

Intel i5 4670

Asus GTX 660 2GB

How do you guys think this would run most popular, demanding titles? Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4 etc.

Your motherboard is not compatible with the CPU. The 4 series of Intel processors are called Haswell and they use socket 1155 and your motherboard uses 1150. Basically you need the P8Z87 version.

If you're looking to keep costs low then it may be best to go for an AMD/ATi graphics card. I know a lot of people are reporting that BF4 in particular will run better on those cards comparatively to Nvidia.

DayZ as it stands is incredibly CPU dependant where as a game like BF3 or any other top titles will be GPU dependant. So getting the right balance is tough. On ARMA in general, your framerate can change drastically from server to server and it's just highly unpredictable.

Just make sure you buy a motherboard that will last you a while that is Crossfire/SLI compatible (so you can maybe add another graphics card down the line), have enough SATA III connections for hard drives etc. so you're future proofing yourself.

Guest Kjordy   
Guest Kjordy

Cheers guys.

Intel i5 4670

Asus GTX 660 2GB

Your motherboard is not compatible with the CPU. The 4 series of Intel processors are called Haswell and they use socket 1155 and your motherboard uses 1150. Basically you need the P8Z87 version.

If you're looking to keep costs low then it may be best to go for an AMD/ATi graphics card. I know a lot of people are reporting that BF4 in particular will run better on those cards comparatively to Nvidia.

DayZ as it stands is incredibly CPU dependant where as a game like BF3 or any other top titles will be GPU dependant. So getting the right balance is tough. On ARMA in general, your framerate can change drastically from server to server and it's just highly unpredictable.

Just make sure you buy a motherboard that will last you a while that is Crossfire/SLI compatible (so you can maybe add another graphics card down the line), have enough SATA III connections for hard drives etc. so you're future proofing yourself.

Thanks for letting me know that man, before I went ahead and bought that and found out for myself. Wouldn't have gone down well haha. Could you recommend any AMD Gpu's on par with the GTX 660? Or better for a cheaper price, maybe? Just about got my head around all the Intel and Nvidia; AMD I don't even know where to begin!

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

I use the AMD 7970, I love it, such good performance <3

Guest ash   
Guest ash

The R9 280x would be much better, it is basically the same as the 7970, except it runs much cooler (about 15+ degrees Celsius cooler at max load), all the while giving a small boost to framerate and being about $50 cheaper (37 euros).

Guest Kjordy   
Guest Kjordy

The R9 280x would be much better, it is basically the same as the 7970, except it runs much cooler (about 15+ degrees Celsius cooler at max load), all the while giving a small boost to framerate and being about $50 cheaper (37 euros).

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have a look around some more MOBOs and some AMD/ATI GFXs and will post back here with a new build soon. Just to make sure I'm doing everything right. Is it worth overclocking? I could buy a 4670k for not much more, but I have no idea what overclocking is and I've heard it's not really to healthy for the processor.

Guest ash   
Guest ash

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have a look around some more MOBOs and some AMD/ATI GFXs and will post back here with a new build soon. Just to make sure I'm doing everything right. Is it worth overclocking? I could buy a 4670k for not much more, but I have no idea what overclocking is and I've heard it's not really to healthy for the processor.

Overclocking is fine so long as you have proper cooling.

Guest Kjordy   
Guest Kjordy

What do you consider to be proper cooling? Liquid? Or suggest a decent fan for me?

Guest ash   
Guest ash

What do you consider to be proper cooling? Liquid? Or suggest a decent fan for me?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O65JXI/?tag=pcpapi-20

Yuval    2

Uh... Z77 mobo is a 1155 socket while a haswell CPU is 1150... Not going to work

Secondly... Z77 is a OC chipset from what i know, no need for it. going for a cheaper mobo with good features could save you allot..

Maybe...

Use a Ivy Bridge CPU (3XXX) with a decent Mobo. save allot of moneh and get a 7870 or the best GPU you can get?

+ fancy ram is not needed, go for the cheapest RAM you find (2X4 1333Mhz should be fine)

If your budget allows get a better GPU, also make sure that the processor and the motherboard are compatible because from what I can see it's not working.

Contrary to what Yuval said, DO NOT get 1333 MHz RAM at this day and age.

Yuval    2

Why? for gaming use not much frames will be gained, even if you gain some.

[video=youtube]

Bam

Guest Kjordy   
Guest Kjordy

Uh... Z77 mobo is a 1155 socket while a haswell CPU is 1150... Not going to work

Secondly... Z77 is a OC chipset from what i know, no need for it. going for a cheaper mobo with good features could save you allot..

Maybe...

Use a Ivy Bridge CPU (3XXX) with a decent Mobo. save allot of moneh and get a 7870 or the best GPU you can get?

+ fancy ram is not needed, go for the cheapest RAM you find (2X4 1333Mhz should be fine)

Could you suggest a cheaper MOBO? I don't really know much at all about them. I kind of want a high-tier processor, DayZ is going to be my primary game and I know that is a lot more CPU intensive compared to many other games. I'm going to carry on working and upgrade as I go along so this is just an initial build.

Also I kind of need a decent, nice amount of RAM. Not necessarily for gaming but I use a lot of After Effects and editing software. Which is a bitch to run without decent RAM.