Server time: 2017-08-20, 00:33

Sign in to follow this  
TheZallow

Is DayZ: RP Getting a bad rap and should I really play ?

TheZallow    0

Greeting's All,

I signed up for DayZ: RP because I wanted a Zombie Apocalypse role playing environment as it involves everything I love, being role play and Zombies so of course I signed up the moment I heard about it. So I started to create a solid back story, key event's, how I personally end up in Chernarus, how the "Outbreak" has effected me here in Chernarus and back home in England.

However ....

When I started to do more research into DayZ:RP I started to noticed a few common trends. Now I'm not stupid I know a good portion of it is probably butt hurt people who couldn't role play better than a slab of cheese and ended up getting band from the server, but .... well it does make you think. And then after seeing literally fifty plus hours of footage of DayZ:RP I can't help feel that this is not going to be the role play experience I thought it was going to be. Sadly all it seems to be is clan vs clan, getting kidnapped, robbed and killed.

A great example showing most if not all of this is the DayZ:RP Series done by PsiSyndicate on You tube, but most if not all footage I have seen follows the same lines. However I can't bash everyone I have seen some pretty bloody fantastic role play videos so I know it is not all bad.

So is this all DayZ:RP has to offer ? mostly 12 - 25 year old's thinking that they are "Bad Ass" role players who don't really have a clue and all they seem to do is throw insults and engineer the "RP" so all you can do is basically die ?

If this is the case, I am wondering if there is really a point in playing the DayZ:RP if this is the only role play on offer.

If I am wrong, please I beg of you showing me some examples

I beg of you, because I want to give this a chance, but with all the bad press not to mention the footage of just the same tedious role play over and over again it is kind of taking the shine off the want to role play here.

I have to admit alot of people forget about the whole RP mojo and normally just be like "Drop the weapon or die" but tbh just...

NhsRYdd.gif

You'll get alot of really good RP for example if you want good RP talk to the I.R.A. I had a great time with them at sanctuary. :)

TheZallow    0

Well thank you for the tip, I may just do that. I'm willing to keep an open mind and if the RP is great then that's perfect but the same RP again and again and again etc etc etc etc gets old very quickly.

the same RP again and again and again etc etc etc etc gets old very quickly.

Oh trust me if you get yourself involved in a clan or make conversation with other survivors around chernarus or in the settlements. You'll have alot of awesome role play which will never grow old.

Lue    25

I welcome you to watch some of my stream highlights from the few roleplay encounters we had with random players... I have only been robbed (attempted) once in about an entire month of playing.. I guess im fortunate... I also don't put myself out there to be a victim, either... My group is fairly likable and not very "threatening" so people dont usually mess with me and my friends... I had one adolescent player try to rob me once after we had so kindly drove him across Chernarus for nothing...

I ended up turning around and doming him.... problem solved... but this has been a rare occurrence for me.....

http://www.twitch.tv/osgoos/c/2962678

http://www.twitch.tv/osgoos/c/2969948

http://www.twitch.tv/osgoos/c/2969978

ApexCrisis    0

Can't blame the robbers all the time though, victims usually just stay quiet during the robberies, giving the impression that they don't want to RP themselves...

TheZallow    0

Well thats great hear HatchBackBandit, I look forward to something interesting.

And thank you Lue. I will look at your footage right away :D

I guess your right ApexCrisis, As I said I am trying to keep an open mind and see it from every viewpoint, be it hero, bandit, victim etc etc etc etc

Guest neom   
Guest neom

Can't blame the robbers all the time though, victims usually just stay quiet during the robberies, giving the impression that they don't want to RP themselves...

What my boy said ^^^^

Ice    0

Today I was at Raven's Nest with some friends. We role-played that we were high on weed and schrooms, after which we soon started singing the lion king. I.R.A. was present as well and soon started playing their own (magnificent) Irish songs. A lot of fun basically.

Anyway man, in my personal opinion I sort of dislike Psisyndicate for his constant robberies and dick moves. He's a bad source of information, as all he does is rob people for the sake of his 13 year old viewers.

Get white-listed and join us. It will be a far more different experience than you've gotten from Psy. I can vouch for this!

Remember, you will have YOUR story and YOUR experience.

Lue    25

Today I was at Raven's Nest with some friends. We role-played that we were high on weed and schrooms, after which we soon started singing the lion king. I.R.A. was present as well and soon started playing their own (magnificent) Irish songs. A lot of fun basically.

Anyway man, in my personal opinion I sort of dislike Psisyndicate for his constant robberies and dick moves. He's a bad source of information, as all he does is rob people for the sake of his 13 year old viewers.

Get white-listed and join us. It will be a far more different experience than you've gotten from Psy. I can vouch for this!

Remember, you will have YOUR story and YOUR experience.

HAHAHA YES.... They likely played some of these sweet tunes ( http://www.twitch.tv/osgoos/c/2969948 ). We rocked out for a good 10 minutes the other day when they drove us up there... We then got to keep one of the cars and I found a sweet ass tractor. Good times.

TheZallow    0

Great info Ice and very well said, but as I said PsiSyndicate was just one example, and I agree he can be very ... UnEthical ... shall I say ?.

And high on weed and shrooms in the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse ....... Interesting lol

oh and I almost forgot, Great footage Lue

TheZallow,

The roleplay here varies from "no effort made at all" to "top fucking notch". Of course my definition of roleplay might be a bit different than that of others. I have never roleplayed in my life before I joined this server, and I know jack shit about it.

I think effort made is more important than actual quality. In fact, I think effort made automatically results in quality, or at least quality I'm happy with. Like I said though, what I regard as quality might be regarded as sub-par by a more professional roleplayer.

All I can say is: if you are not happy with what you see, look for something different. And I do believe that you don't have to go to another server for that. I see you already got shown some examples. And trust me, there's plenty of other members that do their very best to make an effort. You just gotta know where to look. :)

As for the robbing part: it IS a big part of DayZRP. In that regard, this isn't the most usual roleplay server with the strictest rules... or so I've been told. Some would prefer the type of roleplay of "fighting the zombies together", which I must admit is not something you often see here. Our roleplay is more that of big groups fighting each other. Think CLF, NRF. Settlements. Fights for power. But PvE roleplay, it does happen. The Invasion Events set up by Tomeran are a great example. At these events, everyone comes together to fight the common enemy. Tomeran's big threads on that subject are definitely worth a read.

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

Personally i do not care too much for how good people on the server can role play. I have been playing the DayZ mod for months now (i started playing about a month after release) and i watched the community slowly descend into 12 year old kids who just want to aimlessly kill people.

After taking a 4 month break i saw these servers were making their way up the most popular server list and i thought i would take a look. It wasnt the RP that interested me that much, it was the true zombie survival experience that the server offers that i have seen no where else.

There is some really good role players on this server and there are some real bad ones too. From my experience so far the servers are no where near a hardcore roleplaying experience if thats what you are looking for, i have been apart of communities that take RP much more serious and people would be perma banned for what is considered a very minor offence here. However RP is still a major part on these servers, it may not be great but its still here.

At the end of the day no matter how bad the RP gets it is still better than playing vanilla DayZ and getting shot my some 12 year old child on a hill with an AS50 using scripts.

The experience on these servers is what you make it, if you think you can make a good experience then i assure you that you will enjoy all the RP you partake in.

TheZallow    0

Well thanks to all of you (especially Lue, Gijs,& John The Bear), I have decided to take the plunge into DayZ:RP and basically suck it up and dive in.

So thank you guys for showing me its not all engineered one way, and I'm willing to give it a chance ^_^

Quoting OP:Sadly all it seems to be is clan vs clan, getting kidnapped, robbed and killed.

it is a majority of the time, the roleplayers you seek are here, and the scenarios you want too.... but its a dice roll from the moment you login....

Free Medics and RSM are good roleplayers, so are the IRA people too, along with alot of people who play solo.

and by dice roll i mean: you better be frapsing or screenshotting for when you need to make a report, the logs dont lie, but they also dont pick up EVERYTHING.

ive been here for over a year now. no regrets.

TheZallow    0

well thank you for the info ScarFace7456, I guess I will just have to dive in and see what happens but I will definitely check out the clans/groups people have mentioned here ^_^

Fair warning: its easy to get caught in the middle of drama

good luck dude :)

could make this community into a effing reality tv show:

this Fall on Fox, over 1000 neck beards must all play a game..... fairly.....

"Generic Roleplaying Community!"

who will conquer? who will get the BAN HAMMER

Find out this Fall on Fox!

((I know we are not all neck beards gosh))

No matter how much footage you see, it will never be a true representation of how it is to play DayZRP. PsiSyndicate's videos as a whole are a poor representation of this mod and the community. It may have done well to promote the mod to a wider audience, I was one of the people who found out about DayZRP through his videos but my experiences here have been far different.

Unfortunately most people want to always put up these bad-ass moments of them on YouTube because that is what gets the views, fact. I have been a part of three robberies on DayZRP in the couple of months I've been here and I have survived all of them. People take robberies too personally, they become overly attached to their weapons when at the end of the day, that is not what this server is about. It's more about the relationships that you form with your character, the people you know in times of need that can come to your aid.

Don't be discouraged by poor RP because for every one person who may not be up to scratch with their RP you'll find 10 incredible role players.

Shameless plug coming up but check out the series I have

. I feel that the work I do is the complete opposite of PsiSyndicate's work and many others by never going OOC and by keeping it based on the relationships I form in-game.

Elissa    0

It is what you make it and who you meet to some degree. I have been lucky that I came over here with a group of serious RPer's. We all have gone ICly very different paths but our group never will forget each other and our first several days together. Even now IC wise if one of us is in trouble everyone comes running. Clan tags or alliances be damned. It has lead to even bitter enemies sometimes fighting side by side to save one of the original group.

How you interact also changes how you are received. Are you a hardened military man who is a jerk? A pinball repair man who unluckily was here with a convention? Are you a shoe salesman?

I have a journal of events that happen and they are never scripted. You can check it out if you like under role play. I have little short videos of the things my character writes about in it as well.

Muntz    3

i don't really get the point of this thread. You don't have to pay for Dayzrp. you aren't risking anything by trying it. Why base your decision on other people's opinions? It free. Play it. You don't like it, stop playing it. You do like it, keep playing it. Win/Win.

Tomeran    3

It is what you make it

[/Quote]

Truer words were never spoken.

While a bit of luck in finding the right people certainly plays a part, in the end it is up to you to find what you're looking for. DayZRP, while being far from perfect, certainly has a wide variety of people and RP styles, so it should be suitable to a lot of people with different tastes. Some of those people sometimes end up in conflict with one another, but that's fairly natural.

Dont be fooled though, bandits are plentiful. And if you're looking for a peaceful safe experience away from other people then you might be in for a challenge. There's generally a risk to everything you do on these servers.