Server time: 2017-08-21, 21:46

Sign in to follow this  
Major Tom

Something to think about [SPOILERS]

Major Tom    78

Note: There are some Walking Dead spoilers here. Season 2. Close the tab if you haven't watched that far yet.

So I was just looking through some of my old YouTube likes and I saw this video from The Walking Dead. It's the speech Dale gives when they discuss what to do with they boy they saved that tried to kill them. I found that some parts really relate to DayZRP in the way that people execute/rob others. The following quote in particular:

"This is a young man's life; and it is worth more than a five minute conversation. Is this what it's come to? We kill someone because we can't decide what else to do with them?"

"He's been tortured, he's gonna be executed... How are we any better than those people that we're so afraid of?"

[video=youtube]

RoCKiE    0

I'm not sure what I should write to this... nice thread Major, makes me think at least. People in this mod should really start thinking about what they are doing, but you know some people will never learn it.

I could post an example for what im talking about (it has something to do with my recent execution with literally 0 RP, in my oppinion at least), but i don't wanna be a bitch

chansub-global-emoticon-2e4fca1ecf2780b0-28x26.png

Brabbzy    0

I know, right? So dramatic and thought provoking. Like, take these moving scenes...

[video=youtube]

3:50 - I criez e4ry tym guize

#Labibidabibidum2013

#cuts4rolle

In all seriousness though, walking dead is awesome. But, yeah, that BLR vid cracks me up :)

Major Tom    78

Also there's this scene, which really is awesome. The ending bit could be related to DayZRP I guess, the thing about the good/bad/weak people.

Season 3 spoilers, so be aware:

Undead    243

This was a good find. I didn't really think of relating this to anything. But I remember watching this and it had a huge impact emotionally. I feel as though a lot of people can learn from this.

Cid    333

It shows how much people actually value their characters lives as well as the lives as others compared to something like this.

Hex    31

I think that if we were all plopped into a setting like DayZ ( Yeah, the real you isent a freaking supersoldierninjarobotkaratemaster360noscopehaxorproffessorfrommars ) we would think more like the video, peoples lives would have meaning. I think there needs to be a harsher punishment for death.

Major Tom    78

I think that if we were all plopped into a setting like DayZ ( Yeah, the real you isent a freaking supersoldierninjarobotkaratemaster360noscopehaxorproffessorfrommars ) we would think more like the video, peoples lives would have meaning. I think there needs to be a harsher punishment for death.

Problem is, at the end of the day ARMA 2 is a military simulator. People are kind of encouraged to play as a military character just because of the game's mechanics. Only a small few of the community are actually military trained, so in a real apocalypse half of us wouldn't know how to properly use a gun. But who wants to play DayZ and pretend not to know how to use a gun?

There will never be a realistic zombie apocalypse game, as emotions are impossible to accurately simulate.

Hex    31

Problem is, at the end of the day ARMA 2 is a military simulator. People are kind of encouraged to play as a military character just because of the game's mechanics. Only a small few of the community are actually military trained, so in a real apocalypse half of us wouldn't know how to properly use a gun. But who wants to play DayZ and pretend not to know how to use a gun?

There will never be a realistic zombie apocalypse game, as emotions are impossible to accurately simulate.

Well I think the sandalone will do a decent job portraying the more 'survivor' aspect, if you have looked at how the character models hold weapons, they arnt like they are navy seals like they seem to be in Arma2. But yes, your right, its hard to simulate that type of things, that must be supplemented by rules of the server.

Ethanorg    0

Basically everyone in DayZ is a sociopath. So far I've only met a handful of people who have some sort of emotion to killing someone.

I know, right? So dramatic and thought provoking. Like, take these moving scenes...

[video=youtube]

3:50 - I criez e4ry tym guize

#Labibidabibidum2013

#cuts4rolle

In all seriousness though, walking dead is awesome. But, yeah, that BLR vid cracks me up :)

That's way too hilarious haha

J.D.    2

Some people have an itchy trigger finger.. I have seen it so many times.

People not getting the right intel before pulling the trigger can make for a very dangerous place.

Reptile449    0

One way to evoke emotion in Dayz is through 1 death per server. You meet someone, you become friends, you spend hours together. Then he gets killed and permanently banned from the server, you never see him or his character again. Of course you couldn't do this in dayzrp.

Brabbzy    0

One way to evoke emotion in Dayz is through 1 death per server. You meet someone, you become friends, you spend hours together. Then he gets killed and permanently banned from the server, you never see him or his character again. Of course you couldn't do this in dayzrp.

Ok, for starters (and i'm pretty sure I've said this before), your 'Men Without Hats: Safety Dance' avatar brings me so much joy every time I see it, so thank you.

As for the above, I actually think you might be on to something. Not necessarily 'Perma-death' but possibly a 1 hour respawn timer per server? I can only think of advantages. Way less NLR violations, players value their life more, better balance/mix/flow of players between S1 & S2.

Doubt it's something that can or would be implemented, but I definitely like the idea!

Cid    333

As for the above, I actually think you might be on to something. Not necessarily 'Perma-death' but possibly a 1 hour respawn timer per server? I can only think of advantages. Way less NLR violations, players value their life more, better balance/mix/flow of players between S1 & S2.

Doubt it's something that can or would be implemented, but I definitely like the idea!

Adding some sort of death timer would just make things more frustrating and in some aspects make things a little less interesting. Sure, it'll make players value their life more, but it would change a lot more than that and I don't think that we need to make such a change.

People who don't follow the rules will just get punished. It isn't a matter of how many NLR violations there are; just don't do it. Simple as that.

This is a nice thread, Major Tom.

What worries me is that we need a TV show to remind us of this. Surely it is logical? Aren't we all human beings? Do we really need this thread as an eye-opener?

MartinJ    1

Which is why this is DayZ ROLEPLAY, where you're supposed to be the one simulating those emotions.

Guest rondahonda   
Guest rondahonda

Im going to watch TWD all over again because of you.

I think I'm going to work on my character more, those videos made me realise that my character is so cardboard.

Chris    61

Bump for TRUTH

I've always agreed.

My personal opinion is that you treat the in game character's lives the way you treat the lives of others. You wouldn't shoot them for not dropping a backpack, you'd probably take it off them and beat them up a bit, make them learn. But not mercilessly end their life.