Server time: 2017-08-21, 01:03

Sign in to follow this  
Anubian

Formal Reports.

This could help stem the flow of false reports.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. This could help stem the flow of false reports.

Anubian    1

False reports have always been a problem on DayZRP.

Lately however I have seen a rising increase in them and purely because people do not read the rules properly and report for silly things.

I know we have the "Make a report discussion first unless you are certain" type of ruling. However it has not seemed the dim the tide of false reports as much as I feel was hoped. Almost all of the false reports are coming from the newish members of the community as well.

Why not change it to "Unless you are a senior member formal reports can only be made if approved by at least one staff or 2-3 senior DayZRP members in a report discussion." and lets say senior members have been on the server at least 6 months.

I feel that this way there is a much lower chance of false reports occurring and it is better for those players as well as some of theses bans can get rather length (5-7 days). This also helps out in the way that non-senior members seem to construct rather messy and hard to understand reports. Forcing them to rely on senior members and staff before going formal can help restructure the report to avoid unnecessary information and clutter.

Better yet, formal reports can only be made by a staff member (by moving report discussions), and there needs to be at least some semblance of a good reason to go formal first.

When I see formal reports that basically say "I told this guy to drop his guns and he shot me! It's KOS!" as the first part of a formal report, I have to wonder.

Muntz    3

It isn't a bad idea. However 6 months is excessive. Maybe 3 months. Large portions of the rules have been changed in the last 2 months anyway.

Anubian    1

Better yet, formal reports can only be made by a staff member (by moving report discussions), and there needs to be at least some semblance of a good reason to go formal first.

I was thinking like that but I myself as you may have seen am pretty decent at making Formal Reports and so are other senior members. Its more of a liability for us to get cluttered in a report discussion than non-senior members :P.

Jedediah    0

I think making reports in the report discussion section first before going formal would make for a good way to cool down formal.

People may only make report discussions, if left unanswered, or if proven to be formal worthy, they may move forward?

Othuyeg    20

A bit more simple solution: Report discussion is a must and must be up for atleast about 24 hours?

MartinJ    1

Exactly.

The majority of the "false reports" that I have seen lately, or reports about false reports - they haven't actually been false. People don't really lie on them, they're not doing those reports with malice in mind. They create a formal report because they're confident a rule was broken, then the other side explains their POV and ends up being in the right.

The other side, for whatever reason, wants to get back at the original reporter and reports them back for a false report out of spite.

This is what needs to be addressed, I don't really think people are maliciously creating false reports to get someone in trouble.

Allowing "senior members" such privileges is something I am against. No offence to all these senior members, but people are in staff for a reason. If you got chosen for staff, it means Rolle and the admins trust you enough for certain responsibilities. Being a senior member doesn't always mean you know the rules better than new members, unfortunately. Senior members also make false reports.

That being said, I'm not against forcing people to make report discussions first. But, and I want to quote Lucia for this:

When I see formal reports that basically say "I told this guy to drop his guns and he shot me! It's KOS!" as the first part of a formal report, I have to wonder.

That means we would have to read through every single report discussion to see if it can and should be moved. Reading through all the formal reports is already difficult. This would require way too much work.

What I'm not against, is forcing people to start a thread in a report discussion, where they first got to try to talk it out. If necessary, we can even look people up through the logs and force/ask them to respond. Then, if they talked with each other, the OP can still decide to make it formal. Not sure if that will lower the amount of false reports, but at least it forces people to try and talk it out.

Zigma    0

they should have to make a report discussion first and it should be up for at least a day and then in the formal template they must link to the discussion that would also work as evidence

Caesar    438

Gijs has listed my concerns with this proposal. The main idea should be to decrease the frivolous reports both for the GM team and the people falsely accused. This might do one of those but not the other.

We are however discussing alternatives to this specific idea.