Server time: 2017-08-17, 11:40

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

New Initiation Rule vs. Good Samaritan Rule

Question

Alrighty, so the new rule regarding coming to the aid of someone in trouble goes like this:

KoS rights can only be transferred between clan members or those who are directly involved. Allies and hired help can be called in as reinforcements, but they must initiate hostilities in the normal way before they can use force. It works the other way as well, the defending clan only has KoS rights on the original attackers, anyone else - like their allies - must be initiated on.

Now, I know that the rule is referring to people calling in reinforcements. However, the server has always allowed for a "good Samaritan" to come to the aid of a victim if they're being robbed provided the attacker was sure that there was a legitimate robbery taking place by firing without initiating. However, the new rule would seem to suggest that initiation is still required if you're not part of the original initiating party.

Any chance we can get some clarification on that from the staff? Does that rule only apply to reinforcements called over the radio, or does it extend to any assistance coming from an outside source, including random passersby?

6 answers to this question

Guest tpfrags   
Guest tpfrags

I'd like to know this too.

Dicey    5

Wouldn't witnessing a robbery mean you're directly involved, though?

I would think the rule was meant for a clan ending up in a firefight calling in allies who aren't even nearby, so to speak. Seeing the things happen ought to be direct involvement, though I'd like a staff member's clarification on this regardless.

glowreef    0

KoS rights can only be transferred between clan members or those who are directly involved. Allies and hired help can be called in as reinforcements, but they must initiate hostilities in the normal way before they can use force. It works the other way as well, the defending clan only has KoS rights on the original attackers, anyone else - like their allies - must be initiated on.

I think the line would be drawn based on the phrase "directly involved".

Assuming the Good Samaritan is close enough to overhear the initiation or robbery, I'd say they're "directly involved" and able to act. Second hand knowledge however would not be enough.

1. You're behind the church and hear someone inside being initiated on, or hear a phrase that must be part of a robbery in progress; "Ok, now drop your backpack, you have 10 seconds"
  2. You're down the street, bump into a survivor, he tells you he was just robbed and the hostile is still in the church.

In 1, you're directly involved and clear to act.

In 2, you'd have to initiate.

Sin    113

Glowreef has it, as far as I'm concerned. Haven't discussed this with other staff, but it follows.

I can see far too many opportunities for exploitation in scenario 2. Whenever someone comes up to you and claims to have been robbed or whatever, and you decide to lend aid to them, you're going off of what they say, and they could well be lying. Without witnessing the incident yourself, and having direct proof of what went on, that's a lot of trust to place in a person.

Now if the person in question who's complaining of a robbery happens to be a good friend of yours, whom you trust implicitly, then by all means, follow your role and engage his enemy as he would himself. But remember, these are life and death stakes you're gambling with. Most survivors aren't going to realistically glom onto any random survivor's story and risk their own lives to right a wrong that didn't happen to them personally.

The rule is in place largely to stop the amassing of witless lynch mobs tearing across the server acting as someone's personal army.