Server time: 2017-10-22, 19:22
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Wiktor

Help me buy a new PC!

Wiktor    0

Hello!

Seeing as I have become old and out of date with what you kids call "computing machines" I would like some help figuring out a few things when it comes to buying a new PC.

I think I've understood one thing: When playing Arma2 and DayZ, the CPU and RAM is more important then the GPU? Let's assume that DayZ standalone is going to lean the same way.

I'm pretty sure I want an Intel core i5 or i7 because somewhere along the line I've gotten the idea that they are better then AMD (but I am open to suggestions in this area). To ask a straightforward question:

What in the name of Jebus should I buy with a budget of...lets say 1.400 USD? Monitor not included.

Jerry    22

1.400USD? you can buy a great gaming PC for this

Get i7, atleast 4GB Ram and one really good Graphics card or two lower spec Graphics cards

Wiktor    0

1.400USD? you can buy a great gaming PC for this

Get i7, atleast 4GB Ram and one really good Graphics card or two lower spec Graphics cards

And what would qualify as a GOOD graphics card? Geforce GTX 660?

The GTX 680 is considered a GREAT card maybe? Man I miss the days with my Voodoo3...3dfx I loved you..

i was bored so i threw one together for ya ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127697

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139036

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460 x2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116502

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

$1404.90 before tax and shipping.

I'm pretty sure I want an Intel core i5 or i7 because somewhere along the line I've gotten the idea that they are better then AMD (but I am open to suggestions in this area).

AMD has dropped the ball lately when it comes to enthusiast level CPUs.

even the latest piledrivers suck compared to the chips they are directly competing against.

i would recommend staying away from AMD chips until they get their shat together.

Wiktor    0

Thanks, wow that's alot of parts...I can just weld them together, right? I'm gonna end up with a big pile of melted metal and plastic.

Explain it to me like I'm a fat kid trippin' on chocolate:

If I had to choose between:

#1 Intel core i5 & GTX 680

#2 Intel core i7 & GTX 660

...assuming that they are identical in all other aspects and come at a similar prize (if that's even possible).

I'm just all confused with the whole CPU-GPU level-of-importance..thingy.

I was a computer-whiz once...when I had a c64. Now, not so much.

Wiktor    0

i7 3770 & GTX 660ti

not just a regular 660 the "ti" part is important.

Ok thanks alot!

Guest MrRaiz0r   
Guest MrRaiz0r

I7 3770 and a GTX 660 ti will be better for DayZ but if you want a better computer overall you should go for the I5 2500k and a GTX 680.

I don't see why he would go for the I7 3770 over the I5 2500k in this situation.

I7 won't give him better frames ingame...and that is what I think he wants.

Guest MrRaiz0r   
Guest MrRaiz0r

Exactly, don't go for the I7 setup. The I7 will give you about 5-10% increase in game performance from the I5 2500k.

But if you but together a setup with I5 2500k + GTX 680 you will be gaining about 20-30% more gaming performance than if you would have gone with the I7 3770 + GTX 660 Ti setup.

deathnick    0

just a little info from a computer tech :P if you want to boost at least 50% or more your loadings speed, and performance get a SSD (Solid State Disk). They dont have much space,but they have a hell of a speed... u can have one sata to store your stuff, and the SSD with your OS and the programs/games you use on daily basis.

Wiktor    0

Alot of useful info, I think I'm gonna set my sights on a i5 with gtx 680 and a 128 GB SSD! Anything that gives me more then 12fps around the safehouse is a blessing :)

But how important is the "ti" part in for example gtx 660 ti (someone stated above that it was important)? I'm having some trouble finding those kinds of specs when I look around the online stores etc, ofc there's the possibility in some stores to choose another GPU.

MyStiKzZ    0

I run an OC i5 2500K with a OC GTX 480 ( older model of GPU but still awesome ). So the 680 would be even better.

Try for a SSD drive m8 for installing windows and Games and you'll notice fast loading speeds also. With a Backup 1TB drive for storage.

I run 4GB ram and its enough, although with your money I'd push for a least 8/16GB so you can run Fraps, Games, etc with ease.

Just got to think about cooling and PSU from there on in.

Heres an example although the processor is a I5 3570k and GFX a 660Ti:P http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1015

Wiktor    0

I run an OC i5 2500K with a OC GTX 480 ( older model of GPU but still awesome ). So the 680 would be even better.

Try for a SSD drive m8 for installing windows and Games and you'll notice fast loading speeds also. With a Backup 1TB drive for storage.

I run 4GB ram and its enough, although with your money I'd push for a least 8/16GB so you can run Fraps, Games, etc with ease.

Just got to think about cooling and PSU from there on in.

Heres an example although the processor is a I5 3570k and GFX a 660Ti:P http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1015

Allright! That one really seems like something I can live with...it does however seem to cost 1.600 USD when I convert from GBP...and that's without shipping. But if I work some more overtime maybe =)

deathnick    0

Alot of useful info, I think I'm gonna set my sights on a i5 with gtx 680 and a 128 GB SSD! Anything that gives me more then 12fps around the safehouse is a blessing :)

But how important is the "ti" part in for example gtx 660 ti (someone stated above that it was important)? I'm having some trouble finding those kinds of specs when I look around the online stores etc, ofc there's the possibility in some stores to choose another GPU.

The "ti" i think is an overclocked version... not sure though

Blizzard    0

I have a core 2 and 4 gigs of ram and i can play on full settings with about a constant 70 fps.

new egg if a good site to go to for parts, cheap and in most cases the shipping is free

The "ti" meens overclocked, lets say we have an 660 and a 660ti, the ti has better gpu clocking than the simple 660..

no it doesnt.

it means it has more cores.

960 v.s. 1344.

it is also the same chip used in the 670 and 680 except with a die cut disabling some of the cores.

the only big difference in the circuit board itself is a 192 bit memory interface v.s. the 670 and 680s 256 bit interface.

a properly overclocked MSI 660ti Power Edition will run head to head with a stock 680 and be ~$200 cheaper while still not voiding the warranty.

if you really have no idea how to overclock stuff then yeah, go with an i5 and spend the extra cash on a 680.

dont worry about the "k" at the end of the number. all that denotes is whether the chip is unlocked or not. if you are not going to be overclocking it, you dont need a "k" cpu. ie: i5 2500 v.s. i5 2500k.

the unlocked ones cost more.

Wiktor    0

The "ti" meens overclocked, lets say we have an 660 and a 660ti, the ti has better gpu clocking than the simple 660..

no it doesnt.

960 v.s. 1344.

it is also the same chip used in the 670 and 680 except with a die cut disabling some of the cores.

the only big difference in the circuit board itself is a 192 bit memory interface v.s. the 670 and 680s 256 bit interface.

a properly overclocked MSI 660ti Power Edition will run head to head with a stock 680 and be ~$200 cheaper while still not voiding the warranty.

if you really have no idea how to overclock stuff then yeah, go with an i5 and spend the extra cash on a 680.

dont worry about the "k" at the end of the number. all that denotes is whether the chip is unlocked or not. if you are not going to be overclocking it, you dont need a "k" cpu. ie: i5 2500 v.s. i5 2500k.

Very good info, thanks. And no, I have no intentions of overclocking so that k-knowledge comes in handy.

deathnick    0

no it doesnt.

960 v.s. 1344.

any link about this info?? cause when i asked the question on some nvidia forum, thats what they said to me!! im more of an ATI guy...

ah just found out, so Ti stands for "Improvement over the original on several aspect. Or simply, a faster version" like: overclocked or more shaders etc... so it depends on the model

Guest MrRaiz0r   
Guest MrRaiz0r

Yea the Ti has NOTHING to do with it being overclocked...if the video card is overclocked then it will say so, as GTX 660Ti (OC) or (SOC)

any link about this info?? cause when i asked the question on some nvidia forum, thats what they said to me!! im more of an ATI guy...

ah just found out, so Ti stands for "Improvement over the original on several aspect. Or simply, a faster version" like: overclocked or more shaders etc... so it depends on the model

just go to newegg.com and look at the core counts.

tomshardware.com has all the technical specs as well as benchmark scores.

it does not depend on the model.

if it is a GTX660 it will have 960 cuda cores.

if it is a GTX660ti it will have 1344 cuda cores.

the chips used in the 600 and 660ti are from different series.

here is a good video about it.

the guy from the nvidia forum gave you the wrong answer.

Yea the Ti has NOTHING to do with it being overclocked...if the video card is overclocked then it will say so, as GTX 660Ti (OC) or (SOC)

Exactly.

like my cards. ( Classified Ultra )

each manufacturer has different branding for the tiers of overclock on the card.

EVGA has alot of names for the different levels.

SC < SSC < FTW < Classified < Classified Ultra

deathnick    0

just go to newegg.com and look at the core counts.

tomshardware.com has all the technical specs as well as benchmark scores.

it does not depend on the model.

if it is a GTX660 it will have 960 cuda cores.

if it is a GTX660ti it will have 1344 cuda cores.

the chips used in the 600 and 660ti are from different series.

here is a good video about it.

the guy from the nvidia forum gave you the wrong answer.

Exactly.

like my cards. ( Classified Ultra )

each manufacturer has different branding for the tiers of overclock on the card.

EVGA has alot of names for the different levels.

SC < SSC < FTW < Classified < Classified Ultra

Well i asked that about one year ago, when i was building a pc for a friend, he is an nvidia fan, and he wanted nvidia gpu, so i had to make a little search and i just asked around (i always used Ati), the last time i used nvidia was when pentium 4 had been releashed :P Anyways, the same answer i got from the store when i asked them too about the Ti or no Ti version, they told me that Ti version is an overclocked and bla bla... looks like I've been trolled -.-

Rolle    2970

i5 3750k OC + 16GB RAM + GTX670 + SATA3 SSD = win.

Guest MrRaiz0r   
Guest MrRaiz0r

Well yea but is that available for his money situation? :D

Nevermind, yes that works very well!