Server time (UTC): 2019-07-21, 13:48
Sign in to follow this  
Traveller

Doubts About New Clan

So I can't help but get this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I shot out the gate with my new clan. Haven't been here a week, and I chose to jump into a leadership role before realizing the reality of it all.

I'm american, and most of the people who have shown interest in the clan live in time zones that would require me to be on when I am at work or sleeping. Also, despite support from the community, the turn out for recruits has been very low.

The few people who have applied in my general area of the world, accepted invitations from larger, and more established groups.

So in game I'm supposed to be setting up a bandit operation, but I have no men to back me up. Also I'm not going to attempt robberies on my lonesome. I find that 1 on 1 hold ups usually end in needless violence. Which my character is trying to avoid.

I've tried to recruit a few free agent listings, but it seems no one's interested in becoming a thief. Also, a conversation I had with a gent on TS last night, made me realize just how hard running a bandit clan that doesn't resort to violence will be. If someone refuses to give their things up, what then?

Also, while the continued messages of, "Awesome idea bro, we should ally" are appreciated, there is nothing to ally with. I have 2 clan members, who I haven't even gotten to know because of time zone issues. I'm pretty much one man, and with a clan name like The 40 Thieves, it really doesn't stand up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, should I just give it up and join one of these bigger clans?

You know one of those bigger clans probably had the same problem as you when they were first made, Now look at them. I say you make a name for yourself and your clan and you will surely get recruits pooring in with the same time zones. Dont give up man, you got a great clan and will be a shame to see it fall.

I created a group - Scout Force Recon - within 2 weeks of joining. Since then, I've made new clans, became staff, and have helped a fair share of people develop their clan styles and notions.

If you have the dedication, and the spare time, you can do just as well as any established group. Clans I have run in the past have always been led with a 'quality over quantity' focus, and I think potential clan leaders forget that.

Having heaps of members =/= a great clan.

A solid foundation of great members will do you far better than a rapid growth of - what I like to call - 'shiny object chaser' members [namely, those who apply for the shiniest, newest thing, only to leave a week later].

For me, timezones and a second job have always caused friction. That said, I [hopefully] make up for that limited activity in-game by offering a lot of additional RP support on the forums [backgrounds, stories, etc], and well presented RP threads and ideas [graphics, new ideas, etc].

You need to make a pros and cons list.

But one thing you need to ask from the get-go:

"Do you honestly have the time required?"

Answer that, go from there.

I have the time. However, just not when people are on. I could be on, on my days off, but one of those days is my day to go play 40k with my RL buddies. So really it boils down to one day to be there to converse with clan mates on the other side of the pond.

Also, I'm not looking for quantity. I'm looking for quality. I don't truly know if the 2 gents I recruited are truly up to snuff yet.

I think I need to go through the clan page, and elaborate on a few things.

From the looks its a interesting idea, I would like for you to stick it out and find some quality guys as is needed for such an in depth and unique play style.

I hope to see you wait and watch as people become aware of your clan and warm to it, its a really different way of playing. One I generally feel well about.

Just keep going. You will make friends IC, soon start talking to them OOC and then I found they're generally happy enough to join up with you in game.

You just need to stick in there, We went through a rough patch of only getting Americans apply and I had to sadly decline them due to play times.

I can guarantee, if your RP is as unique as you are hoping, you will get a lot of applicants through in game.

Patience is a virtue. If you want something good, don't rush it... Recruit quality members, make sure the people you get understand your idealogy and methods. Numbers don't mean quality, it's better to have 10 great players that actually RP and play within the set of parameters you have sat up rather then being like every other bandit clan under the sun. Stick to your guns, no pun intended.

Same issue here, clans been up for a few days, only one member aside from me. O'm just gonna stick with it.

I haven't had that problem dont know why I got 4 people joining in one day once all at the same time, i haven't had the same problem but just stick with it, and dont give in keep trying send everyone in the free agents a PM all of them and be active in game and on the forums, keep bumping you thread. For me 2 people left today 1 on a not so good note one on a good one i haven't been sad about it, yes it's a loss, but i carried on and trust me that what you must do to!

Personally, I enjoy being an "underdog" clan. Where's the fun in joining a massive clan that's already at or near it's peak. Being in a fresh clan, you are there for everything.. The growth, the firsts of everything, the up and the downs. But personally, I'm tired of the whole "bandit" clan idea. They have different stories but come down to the same thing. So I support that you should keep trying, but the reason I myself haven't applied was because I'm looking for a clan more my style.