Server time (UTC): 2019-10-23, 19:24
Sign in to follow this  
Teas

A Question of Balance?

Until 4 months ago I was a happy single gamer living in my little flat through the week, not a care in the world and able to spend all weeknights gaming til my hearts content.

However, now I'm a happily married gamer with a kid on the way, and unable to throw oddles of time into my favourite pastime. My question to those a litte older and a little wiser than myself is this.

How do you find a balance just to eek a little play time out of a evening? I'm not talking pulling all night Red Bull sessions playing like I so often used to. Should I just grow up and forget it? Fuck no! But I need to strike some sort of balance.

Cheers.

Married 14 years with two kids ages 11 and 8. I usually wait till they go to bed to catch a few hours online. And if nothing is going on the weekends I'll pound out an all nighter once in a while.

You just have to make time for it all...make sure the wife knows and understands why you wanna game. But like anything, moderation is key. The kids eat up alot of time, but its worth it.

Wait.. You got married after 4 months? Anyway, I speak from other people's experience as I have yet to be married or have kids. My co-worker in engaged and he normally waits till the weekend. Otherwise, during the week he just checks to see what her plans are first and if she's doing something he doesn't really want to do or she's going off to do her thing then he'll game as well. As for having a kid.. I can't shed much light on that other than knowing a baby takes up 90% of your time. I figure if you make exceptions for your wife and let her get her rest, she might return the favor and let you game sometimes over the weekend.

well I have 3 kids 14 nearly 15 yo boy, 12 yo girl and a 7 yo boy, they take up a lot of time. generally I get on to game once the youngest is in bed as the missus likes to watch soaps n crap like that which don't interest me at all. we do watch stuff together but that's not that common as our tastes are quite different. she occasionally will have a moan if I spend too much time on the pc but its easily rectified by spending a little time with her. In conclusion just spend a bit of time with her, be supportive and make it seem like your listening and interested in what she has to say even if your not, other than that you should be good.

Oh and a final word about the kids, if they tell you they hate you and your a horrible parent then your doing your job right, your a parent not their best friend

Wait.. You got married after 4 months? Anyway, I speak from other people's experience as I have yet to be married or have kids. My co-worker in engaged and he normally waits till the weekend. Otherwise, during the week he just checks to see what her plans are first and if she's doing something he doesn't really want to do or she's going off to do her thing then he'll game as well. As for having a kid.. I can't shed much light on that other than knowing a baby takes up 90% of your time. I figure if you make exceptions for your wife and let her get her rest, she might return the favor and let you game sometimes over the weekend.

Haha no 7 years, 3 of those engaged, but coz of my job we have only moved in together properly 4 months ago when we were married.

And daschund - that's the arrangement i brought up to her, soaps go for for 2.5 hours some nights. That could be me time!

yep that's the idea, she gets her time you get yours, it might not be as long as you want or would like but anythings better than nothing right

Explain that you're spending your time gaming online, not fishing or playing poker with the boys or out drinkin' and whorin'.

Use prettier words than I just did. But once they understand that point, they're suddenly okay with you taking a few more hours out of your week to pursue what you love.