Server time (UTC): 2022-01-23 14:45

DayZ Standalone

""DayZ Standalone Title To Release By Christmas, Should “Have a Load of New Content”

via MP1st""

Read More there...

www.gametracker.com/games/news/1364/Day-Z-Mod-Becoming-Stand-Alone-Title

What all you think ? ;>

• Server Manager

I think that it will be the same mod, just with new features. It will still use ArmA2 engine along with it's pros and cons.

• 3 weeks later...

It won't be using arma3 engine completely, it will be like arma2.5 - also he wants to release it on consoles, I've kind of lost a bit of excitement by hearing that. I'm pretty sure if Rocket sells out and goes against what the people want then someone can work on from what we have now. Only time will tell I guess.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • MVP

Bushwookie I thought the same, propably the standalone will be released in alpha state in late january/february. Otherwise we would get some new sexy pictures of new features by now.

• MVP

DayZ going to consoles doesnt neccecerily mean he's "selling out" and changing the core of the game. If he goes "DayZ is adapting to more appeal to the general tastes of the console crowd rather then the PC gamers", then however we may have a problem.

Opening up to another market is good for buisness and nothing wrong with that. But if it starts to swing more towards an exclusive market under the good old idea that "Pc gaming is bad for buisness, consoles is the way to go" then I'll stop being ok with it quite quickly.

Regarding the engine: From what Rocket has been saying since standalone was announced, DayZ will have not have Arma 2's engine or Arma 3's engine. It'll be a crossbreed, 2.5, of some sorts. I cant recall exactly but I think they took engine ideas from some other game as well.

I sure hope they'll try to remove as much of the glitchy madness of the arma2 engine as possible, but I cant help but think that Rolle might end up being more right in his assesment. Its a TON of work to create a game engine, and it would surprise me if they're completly finished with this monster-work in just the few short months they've been working on this. If entire Bohema Interactive was helping them out, maybe, but they're mostly busy prepping for Arma 3.(they're getting some help though, last I heard)

The content looks nice though. The more content however that messes up with the original mechanics of the arma2 engine, the more bugs are likely. I just hope they've sorted out as many of them as possible, to the degree that alpha dayZ will at least be enjoyable.

• MVP

I don't get whole rockets rush to use Arma 2 engine. He claims that whole architecture got redesigned from scratch, only some core graphics are being left behind. Whats the point ? Why he couldnt pick Arma 3 engine and redesign that? ...

Oh, I know... it would be buggy as hell :D

Arma engines in their whole complexity after couple of years are getting in shape, I hope that at least some graphic goodies from Arma 3 ( lighting !!!) will make it to Dayz Standalone.

I don't get whole rockets rush to use Arma 2 engine. He claims that whole architecture got redesigned from scratch, only some core graphics are being left behind. Whats the point ? Why he couldnt pick Arma 3 engine and redesign that? ...

Oh, I know... it would be buggy as hell :D

Arma engines in their whole complexity after couple of years are getting in shape, I hope that at least some graphic goodies from Arma 3 ( lighting !!!) will make it to Dayz Standalone.

Do you want the standalone 2012/13 or 2014? They wanna have a good payable standalone, which security systems against all the hackers. They don't want to develop a Dayz 2.0 with a compete new engine. If the standalone is out and running, then they can put work in another engine.

Guest WaltteriH

Do you want the standalone 2012/13 or 2014? They wanna have a good payable standalone, which security systems against all the hackers. They don't want to develop a Dayz 2.0 with a compete new engine. If the standalone is out and running, then they can put work in another engine.

+1

• MVP

Niratschi, yeah thats a valid point. Considering how they might loose customers due to WarZ any other crappy clones wanting to steal piece of a money cake.

DayZ going to consoles doesnt neccecerily mean he's "selling out" and changing the core of the game. If he goes "DayZ is adapting to more appeal to the general tastes of the console crowd rather then the PC gamers", then however we may have a problem.

Opening up to another market is good for buisness and nothing wrong with that. But if it starts to swing more towards an exclusive market under the good old idea that "Pc gaming is bad for buisness, consoles is the way to go" then I'll stop being ok with it quite quickly.

Regarding the engine: From what Rocket has been saying since standalone was announced, DayZ will have not have Arma 2's engine or Arma 3's engine. It'll be a crossbreed, 2.5, of some sorts. I cant recall exactly but I think they took engine ideas from some other game as well.

I sure hope they'll try to remove as much of the glitchy madness of the arma2 engine as possible, but I cant help but think that Rolle might end up being more right in his assesment. Its a TON of work to create a game engine, and it would surprise me if they're completly finished with this monster-work in just the few short months they've been working on this. If entire Bohema Interactive was helping them out, maybe, but they're mostly busy prepping for Arma 3.(they're getting some help though, last I heard)

The content looks nice though. The more content however that messes up with the original mechanics of the arma2 engine, the more bugs are likely. I just hope they've sorted out as many of them as possible, to the degree that alpha dayZ will at least be enjoyable.

I really can't think of any games that won from going down the console route, but plenty that were ruined (think the Battlefield series, and the first Call of Duty's).

If they get out a good PC game first, and not a console port (which is how it seems) then they can make it for the IPhone for all I care.

I really can't think of any games that won from going down the console route, but plenty that were ruined (think the Battlefield series, and the first Call of Duty's).

If they get out a good PC game first, and not a console port (which is how it seems) then they can make it for the IPhone for all I care.

I agree with you in some parts, but where did you get the idea, that it will be a console port? They are developing it for PC and think about a console version. But PC is the main platform, did you watch the presentation from rocket?

I agree with you in some parts, but where did you get the idea, that it will be a console port? They are developing it for PC and think about a console version. But PC is the main platform, did you watch the presentation from rocket?

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was meaning in general, that once they release the standalone for PC, it would be very bad for us PC gamers if it either ends up focused on console ports (fair enough, for the $$$), as that road ends in the ruin of good games.

• 6 years later...

I think adding a DayZ Standalone server would be great for the community.