Server time: 2017-08-19, 17:00

Sign in to follow this  
Tronword

Helicopters are too OP.

Tronword    0

Probably stirring the pot here with this suggestion. But the rules of engagement involving helicopters seem to weigh too heavily towards the Heli itself.

1. Helicopters can keep 'eyes on' you from a very high distance.

2. A challenge (Telling the Heli to go away or even land) to the helicopter cannot be made from the ground unless they're hovering very close.

3. Airborne supremacy.

Any type of aircraft is slamming the win button, which is fine. But I think a few things should be implemented for a better RP experience.

My suggestions:

1. Anyone piloting an aircraft must be in a team-speak channel designated 'aircraft' on the RP server TS. This allows an individual or group on the ground to make positive contact with an aircraft. It'll add an intense RolePlay factor. And would be fun.

2. If the in-game channel isn't feasible, is their a way to greatly increase the range someone in a Helicopter can hear people in direct communications? It'll act the same way as a radio.

(Okay, thats all I can think of now, heh. I'm sleepy.)

Guest cleaner_leon   
Guest cleaner_leon

Thumbs up

Livs    0

I have actually been thinking about this as well. What I am about to say is ONLY my ideas, not Rolles or any of the other admins. Only my ideas.

I think, like Tronwood, that the helicopters have a huge advantage too. If a clan, or just a little group of survivors, get their hands on a helicopter, they can easily scout the entire map for camps, survivors to rob and get to point A to B in less than 2 minutes.

Because of this, I think it would be reasonable to allow shooting on a helicopter, no matter where it is in the sky. Obviously if you shoot at the helicopter, you are going to be shot at as well, but seeing as there is no way to actually make contact to them while flying, it would seem that the only way to actually get it to the ground is to shoot it.

This is just a thought I've been thinking about.

Jij    0

So if its a medical helicopter u want ppl to shoot at it?

Getting a helicopter up and runnign and flying it well is a good effort, why reward those ppl with free reign to be shot at.

Yes air supremacy is a massive advantage , but thats why there is 3 helicopters, to add competition, i agree increase the range they can speak, or maybe use side chat channel for helicopter only.

But removing them ruins that end game aspect, it without it i feel I wouldnt get to experience the adrenaline rush of having a heli flying above me.

Awesomebaum    0

I like your idea Livs, I was also thinking about it and seeing as a helicopter is pretty invulnerable it would be nice to just being able to shot it.

At the moment there are next to no downsides of a chopper, you can scout for vehicles aswell as camps at all parts of the map without any risk because you can't shoot it.

The only actual downside is that refueling needs quiet some time and you are a bit vulnerable to bandits.

Jij    0

If u hide ur camp well the heli will have alot of trouble seeign it. Free reign to shoot at it is unfair, one well placed 50cal round or sniper shot, or any bullet can bring it down, there has to be some sort of restriction imo

Livs    0

Yeah but there has to be a challenge in flying a chopper, in my opinion atleast. It's simply too easy to get around with it now. The only thing you have to worry about is where you park it so no one steals it when you're offline. I really don't think that's how it should be.

Guest achmed   
Guest achmed

make it like back in the first dayz beta, if any of you guys remember that.

remove the blackhawk and add in a civilian (unarmed) littlebird.

This is more balanced, they arent flying castles, but small and vulnerable. And you could also add more of them.

I still think the idea of being allowed to shoot helis on sight makes sense, because if you're flying high and fast (as a littlebird could go very fast) you are still very safe from bullets. Its only as you go low you would be in any risk.

Just my opinion though.

I think helis and the .50 cals did a good job of killing dayz. DayZ was funnier when it was new and barely anyone had a .50 cal.

Awesomebaum    0

What kind of difference does the .50cal do that "killed" DayZ?

It doesn't matter in combat too much to be honest, either it's 2 really quick fired DMR shots that kills you or 1 AS50 shot, there is not difference.

The helicopters are really cool for the endgame part, you kinda wanna repair a chopper and be proud of what you did, but as they are right now they are just boring to have because you basically find 80% of the hidden stuff on the server and there is no risk in having one.

Tomeran    3

I agree that helicopters are OP. Any vehicle that allows you to scout the entire map in 10 minutes and -easily- find any hidden camp or vehicle(those things light up like christmas trees when you're airborne) gives the owner a -massive- edge over anyone else.

The only downside with helicopters was that they werent discreet and that everyone could see you from kilometers away. On ordinary servers this was quite the disadvantage as 50.cal weapons could do quite the damage to the heli.

But on this server we have rulesets that prevents both firing at it and we no longer have 50.cal weapons, arguably the only weapons powerful enough(except the rocket launcher of course) to do serious damage to the heli quickly.

It has reached the point to that setting up any camp or trying to establish oneself is quite useless. Any camps the nords have set up recently have gotten completly emptied within one or two days, no matter where we put them. We're currently considering just turning into nomads.

I personally dont think the heli guns matter much, they are inaccurate things. But I do favor automatic KoS rights on a heli, and it would actually be nice if the kind of helicopter was changed to one that is more vurnable to small-arms fire. Because small-arms is all we have now. The little bird would certainly fit that category, and its also more of a nimble aircraft that allows skilled pilots to exploit its manouverbility. This wont completly solve the "heli=instant global camp looting" problem, but I think it'll go a little way at least.

And an edit: I heard the M107 still spawns at barracks, so I guess I was a little wrong about the 50-cal weapons. Still, they are a lot more rare now.

Guest achmed   
Guest achmed

What kind of difference does the .50cal do that "killed" DayZ?

It doesn't matter in combat too much to be honest, either it's 2 really quick fired DMR shots that kills you or 1 AS50 shot, there is not difference.

The helicopters are really cool for the endgame part, you kinda wanna repair a chopper and be proud of what you did, but as they are right now they are just boring to have because you basically find 80% of the hidden stuff on the server and there is no risk in having one.

the difference is enormous.

Assume you're on overwatch as your friend is being robbed, you have a DMR and fire a shot down range, as he hear it he starts running, the first shot might hit, the second would miss.

Alternatively, he'd have time to kill your friend before it hit him.

Other than that, if he was running towards cover you would not only just have to hit a moving target twice instead of once (and compensate for bulletdrop instead of zeroing) you'd also only be able to hit one bullet before he'd be behind that cover.

So the difference is as big as night and day. With a 2 shot kill weapon all of a sudden you'll have to go for the headshot, with a DMR you'll even have to learn how to actually aim and not just press pageup/down until its on the suitable range.

Awesomebaum    0

I haven't expected any difference and I'm carrying an M107 and DMR all the time.

I just don't miss my first shot.

Guest jimihendrix   
Guest jimihendrix

its quite simple actually, don't allow vehicles including helis to be stored on the trading post, one day the clan members will spawn in their whatsoever camp in the woods and find their chopper was stolen. At least that way the air supremacy would be for everyone...

another cool solution is if everyone is allowed to simply shoot the chopper on sight, that would keep the chopper from scouting camps and robbing other vehicles so frequently ;)

Guest achmed   
Guest achmed

I haven't expected any difference and I'm carrying an M107 and DMR all the time.

I just don't miss my first shot.

If you dont "expect" (feel?) a difference, why would you carry an m107 to begin with?

If the DMR is just the same, but it have less rare ammo, it have 20 shots a mag, its more effective at midrange against several targets etc, then why the hell do you bother going around with an m107?

You're bullshitting and we both know it.

It's like saying there's no difference between a makarov and a m1911 so you go around with a makarov in your backpack so you can carry both with you.

Awesomebaum    0

It's a big difference between saying theres no difference between a Makarov and a M1911 and there is no difference between a M107 and a DMR.

I didn't mean that there is NO difference, there surely is.

But there is not such a big difference between those that this or rather these weapons "killed" DayZ, which is an untrue statement on its own already.

Obviously there is a difference but I don't feel a big difference while playing with either weapon.

Rolle    2450

Yes the helicopters are OP, it's pretty obvious that air vehicles will always be superior to land vehicles. I don't feel like choppers should be removed/nerfed/get special rules, they are so rare that it's justified that they are better than all the other vehicles.

Jedediah    0

Sometimes it takes over 4 hours to repair a found helicopter, and refueling is insane.

They're putting in the work, they should have the benefit.

Helicopters also go down quickly if you've got good aim, which turns a transportation source into a big metal cage of fiery death in no time at all.

This is me on another server before I joined dayzrp (I was in the helicopter, it took us hours to fix.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q62bGjYJZ9s

Hellscream    0

We had a chooper 2 times so far , and we were shoot at where ever we appered , so no need to nerf them in any way.

sarcasm83    0

I agree that helicopters are OP. Any vehicle that allows you to scout the entire map in 10 minutes and -easily- find any hidden camp or vehicle(those things light up like christmas trees when you're airborne) gives the owner a -massive- edge over anyone else.

It has reached the point to that setting up any camp or trying to establish oneself is quite useless.

I personally dont think the heli guns matter much, they are inaccurate things. But I do favor automatic KoS rights on a heli, and it would actually be nice if the kind of helicopter was changed to one that is more vurnable to small-arms fire.k it'll go a little way at least.

I agree that it sucks that people can scout out your vehicles and camps so easily. I'm constantly at this site, looking at the shoutbox, constantly watching DayZ videos, living and breathing DayZ as it's so addictive, but at the same time I've lost my real desire to play, as I noticed it indeed is absolutely pointless to try and get vehicles hidden, camps set up to help people or establish a friendly crew.

Logging in seems so pointless with so much bandits that you often get robbed of your vehicle within minutes and even if you do manage to use em without being robbed [which is highly unlikely] and hide em somewhere where no foottraffic really go, the choppers in the air will find em and are even allowed to destroy them for fun if they want to.

This is just one of the things totally discouraging establishing a friendly crew.

I do not agree on "fire at will" towards choppers though - as if I, through some incredible feat do find one some day and get to fly it, it'd really suck to have every bandit/hostile on the map shooting at it (And every bandit on the map = most certainly the majority of the whole server)

Hmmmh... "solving" this somehow is indeed a tricky one. At least I wish that choppers would have strict rules of NOT shooting and harrassing people on the ground. It's already such a great transport and way to spot things, at least they could have the decency to leave people alone and not follow em around everywhere and fire "warning shots" (like people often call em) at everything that moves etc. As that's been happening somewhat alot, from what I've seen and heard.

And might I also suggest; No destroying of vehicles at random.

Wanna steal em? Fine. Or loot them empty, ok - but don't light em up just to see a pretty explosion. It's insanely depressing to gather supplies to your camp for days and days when the vehicles and all you gathered in em gets blown up without a real reason.

At least I suspect BB had a chopper when they found everything we had and torched the whole attempt of forming a helping crew, as it's pretty unlikely they find the vehicles AND the tents set up further away on foot.

Guest achmed   
Guest achmed

gonna bump this.

lost every vehicle we found/traded to us because of these god damned helis.

park them in a forest somewhere you know damn well no one will walk through, but the helis can just fly around and see the car no matter what.

helis are completely breaking this server.

they add nothing to RP, because it doesn't make sense people have fucking helis up and running.

they cannot be robbed etc, because you cant ask them to stop.

even if they could, theres almost no reliable way of damaging them either way, besides for the lucky few with .50cals.

these helis seriously need to just be removed. the only place you can place cars else would be inside farms etc, and the chances of people looking there are just too big.

this is pure bullshit and i doubt anyone will disagree unless they're the guys going around with a heli stealing every vehicle they find.

Guest farbaute   
Guest farbaute

People who actually think they can own a vehicle in DayZ should stop thinking so instedd..