Jump to content

Server time (UTC): 2022-10-02 18:44

No "Whitelist" from Monday to Friday.


Thrynn

Whitelist Change.  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

As in the topic's title, I'd like to suggest removal of whitelist requirement to play on the server in the middle of the week. This will bring a lot of new, fresh players into the server. However, having the account on forums aswell as rules accepted should still be required. Similiar solution was used in past on diffrent DayZ server and it resulted in their community growing to bigger size than it ever had before (Speaking of StalkerZ). Keeping whitelist off would not be a permanent state, once server would begin to again reach highest activity peaks + a lot of new players would pass Whitelist process, then Whitelist should stay on 24/7 again.

@Hofer

Link to comment
  • Emerald

 

2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The amount of code alone that this would take makes me say no.

isn't it possible to turn the whitelist off and on in the server settings?

+1. I agree with you. servers Like StalkerZ thrive when they do the no whitelist weeks. server pop increases a lot. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The amount of code alone that this would take makes me say no.

Theres automated systems in place that would need a full rework.

Can't whitelist be turned on and off manually? seemed to me that it could. Just have someone flip the switch instead of creating new system for that.

Link to comment
  • Emerald
1 minute ago, Thrynn said:

Can't whitelist be turned on and off manually? seemed to me that it could. Just have someone flip the switch instead of creating new system for that.

 

1 minute ago, Kontro said:

 

isn't it possible to turn the whitelist off and on in the server settings?

+1. I agree with you. servers Like StalkerZ thrive when they do the no whitelist weeks. server pop increases a lot. 

If it was only the whitelist... sure... but its automated, including the character pages and a whole bunch of stuff, including the way logs get achieved.

There is alot of custom code and solutions added to tailor to policing the server and all of that would need a massive rework, we no longer have just the whitelist, we have build stuff on top of that, which pertains to gaining logs and other things.

To do this on the main server, will probably be a no, because it aint possible, consider changing the suggestion to opening a second server, for non whitelisted people, kinda like how NoPixel has a public server aswell.

Link to comment
24 minutes ago, RedSky said:

 

If it was only the whitelist... sure... but its automated, including the character pages and a whole bunch of stuff, including the way logs get achieved.

There is alot of custom code and solutions added to tailor to policing the server and all of that would need a massive rework, we no longer have just the whitelist, we have build stuff on top of that, which pertains to gaining logs and other things.

To do this on the main server, will probably be a no, because it aint possible, consider changing the suggestion to opening a second server, for non whitelisted people, kinda like how NoPixel has a public server aswell.

Alright then, will wait for @Hoferopinion on this, if it is indeed so complicated then I'll go for suggesting secondary server on not whitelisted people can play with some additional ideas. 

Link to comment
  • MVP

This is a -1 for me.
When I get to play as a whielisted player on the server and this time might be ruined by non-whitelisted ppl who havent gone through the process of what it means to play here - there will be a high chance of bad experiences.
I do like the idea of "giving people a taste that it might be worth to go through the whitelist process".
Instead of a "monday to friday" time frame I'd suggest one time events with a certain time frame. So the left player base is aware like "This saturday sever is open for everyone between 18:00 to 23:00" or something like that.

Edited by Ron
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Ron said:

This is a -1 for me.
When I get to play as a whielisted player on the server and this time might be ruined by non-whitelisted ppl who havent gone through the process of what it means to play here - there will be a high chance of bad experiences.
I do like the idea of "giving people a taste that it might be worth to go through the whitelist process".
Instead of a "monday to friday" time frame I'd suggest one time events with a certain time frame. So the left player base is aware like "This saturday sever is open for everyone between 18:00 to 23:00" or something like that.

"Who haven't gone through the process of what it means to play here."

If we're gonna gatekeep something...let's gatekeep anything other than a mediocre at best server. The RP I have experienced here is no better than what I have seen on open servers. I would go as far to say to get rid of the whitelist entirely at this point. If people wanna do stupid shit let 'em eat the ban. Will make for a funny story down the line.

Edited by mike655363
Link to comment
  • Diamond

At this point I'd consider anything. Yes, there is the risk of rule breaks attached by some, but so is the potential gain of more players we desperately need. Try it for some days at least?

Link to comment
  • MVP

Maybe just make the whitelist basic af instead

Link to comment
  • Emerald

We could just remove the passphrase part of the whitelisting process from what I have heard from people outside the community is that its a overly hard thing to do that they end up giving up on.

So removing it could make people outside the community more willing to get through the whitelisting process.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, CutieTim said:

snip.

I honestly agree with this, when I was first whitelisting the only hard part was the passphrase and drove me to leave and come back a couple times during the process after not being able to find it the first few times. 

On the other hand, I hardly believe that putting on a no-whitelist is at all a good idea. People have trouble following the rules already and letting in new players that have no experience won't be the best of ideas imo.

Just my two cents.

Edited by CutieBenji
Spelling Correction
Link to comment
  • Diamond

Just through up DayZRP-Public Server #1 and I garuntee you we have numbers

Link to comment

This sounds good on paper but it could do more harm than good. From monday to friday that is the whole week of playing without whitelisted which then makes it pointless and I'd imagine trying to police a server that would be public on the week days would be quite annoying.  I think that the whitelist should just be a bit more simple and remove the passphrase. If they break a rule and use the excuse "I did not read the rules" or whatever then that's on them.

Link to comment
  • MVP

5 days is too much, maybe the weekend

Link to comment
  • MVP

I agree maybe a weekend. Maybe an unban day too? Give it a test before doing a massive unban permanently?

Link to comment
  • Diamond

Might as well make it a pub server with light rules.

l-intro-1633465995.jpg.271f90c2b43d9345beb3fe941256e640.jpg

Link to comment
  • Titanium
16 hours ago, RedSky said:

The amount of code alone that this would take makes me say no.

Theres automated systems in place that would need a full rework.

You mean toggling the whitelist on and off before and after? Yeah that’s prolly a lot of work. 
 

I voted yes. Simply put, it gives people a chance to try the server before they get all the way in. I see no harm in it

Link to comment
  • Emerald
4 hours ago, Mason said:

You mean toggling the whitelist on and off before and after? Yeah that’s prolly a lot of work. 

You forget we have character pages, active/unactive characters, etc. Unlike other servers we have other coding that goes into it all. So yes, a lot of work! 

 

Anyways IMO, no whitelist means banned players with alts can come KOS for the fun of it and ruin the tiny enjoyment we have left of this server. With talk of opening another server until Nyheim is finished, I have to say it’s not the worst idea. At the same time though, splitting the 10 ish players currently is probably the worst idea possible. 

Link to comment

There's a reason I play on DayZRP and not other unwhitelisted RP servers. I like the exclusivity. The passphrase thing I would love to see go after hearing how many people get frustrated at that part.

If you're not willing to read the rules and make a character however, I'm not sure I trust the person to provide decent RP most of the time. Putting the coding difficulty aside for a second, maybe once a week would be fine to see how it goes and try to attract people who will actually then go on to make a character and get involved proper but even if it means the server was full everyday, the chaos that comes with open servers isn't for me these days.

Link to comment
  • El Presidente

I think whitelist is an essential part of our community. It would be detrimental to our reputation and image if randoms could fail RP on the server Monday to Friday and videos of this with our server name in them would spread for example.

Link to comment
  • Sapphire

If you open the flood gates, be prepared for all kinds of non-RP public server squeakers to come through. -1 from me. We want RP, not just numbers.

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

I am not sure the passphrases are the key to the community being RP. There is a public server now for those. Its just a bit overly complicated for people I pointed at the community. This community is not that known except for serious RP players. If i can be honest here?

Link to comment
  • Emerald
Posted (edited)

Like some other said as well, i think it would be a good idea to do a non-whitelist event for a day or two.
With that the players can prepare for 1/2 days of potential bad/fail RP and it will give people who want to try the server the time to do so.
If something like this would be given a try it could be a option to make having a profile on the forum and accepting the rules with that account the only thing that they need to do before being able to take part in the 'free' weekend. (If the system will be able to handle that of course)

Keeping in mind the 'bad' video's that might appear online with that weekend it could be an idea to change the DAYZRP watermark on the top of the screen to DAYRP Free weekend (date) that way you let other potential players know that this isn't the normal way of playing on the server and that on this instance its just a troll playing on the free weekend event.
With that you could even do a timed message in chat saying something about the fact that this is a free weekend etc...

A free weekend could just be the next step we need in making this community bigger.
(Lets first wait and see what the public sever might bring us)

Edited by Cherrygamer
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...