Server time (UTC): 2021-07-31 06:02

Lore Event - "The Scientists"
TODAY | 2021-07-31 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 12 hours, 57 minutes | Nyheim City

PDA Mod

Luca

Add a PDA?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• MVP
Posted (edited)

A very straight forward suggestion to add the PDA mod

Here's the description from steam workshop incase people are too lazy to click on the link

Adds a PDA to the game, through which players can communicate with text messages.
- To communicate with a player, you need to add him as a friend by name or ID. So you need to meet with the player in the game for know his name.
- Global channel is present and can be enabled by server owner.
- Messages can be written only to online players.
- The history of messages and contacts is stored on the client side, which does not load the server. This is good optimized and very lightweight mod.
- The mod saves the contact list and message history (the last 100 messages in each chat).
- The PDA is battery powered and can be repaired.

This mod would significantly improve communications ingame and would most likely take away from exessive OOC comms use.
I briefly played on a server for a few days that had this mod and it was honestly the best thing ever. 

Edited by Luca
  • MVP
13 minutes ago, Luca said:

This mod would significantly improve communications ingame and would most likely take away from exessive OOC comms use.

I think the mod looks pretty cool. I agree a nice addition to ic communication.
How would it change current ooc comms - not sure if I understand what you meant to say?

• MVP
7 minutes ago, Ron said:

I think the mod looks pretty cool. I agree a nice addition to ic communication.
How would it change current ooc comms - not sure if I understand what you meant to say?

In a sense of using discord for communications, where coms can easily turn ooc pretty quickly unless they are kept completely strict, which not everyone agrees with.
A PDA could be used to communicate IC much easier and you can also see if the people you have added on your friend list have their PDA turned on.

• Lore Master

Yes yes and more yes. Used the PDA on another server and it is so handy and useful.

it can make things far more immersive than having to use Discord and jump between channels left right and center.

+1

I’ve used this mod in a couple other servers and have liked it a lot 

in a time where the pop isn’t good at all and RP is hard to find, this would make it much easier to look for RP.

• Game Master

Hey @Luca, make sure to add an unbiased poll to your suggestion as it is a requirement for all suggestion topics on the forums. Thanking you.

Mod looks okay, wonder if its use can be logged as it doesn't seem to be able to judging from the mod page. On the flip side, if there's information to be gleaned from stealing one or finding a lost PDA, it could lead to interesting roleplay.

• MVP
3 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Hey @Luca, make sure to add an unbiased poll to your suggestion as it is a requirement for all suggestion topics on the forums. Thanking you.

Mod looks okay, wonder if its use can be logged as it doesn't seem to be able to judging from the mod page. On the flip side, if there's information to be gleaned from stealing one or finding a lost PDA, it could lead to interesting roleplay.

I had one originally, I don't know what happened I must've messed it up but it's back 😄 

• Titanium

I really like the idea of being able to have private communications with people on the server in an IC way. 

But I'm gonna have to be THAT guy... How would this system work 50 years in the future? Would it be like the radios and use the radio towers? 

• MVP

Shit, I'd love to see something like this on the server. This actually sounds pretty damn cool and it would add more to IC communication so it'd be nice to have!

Also, I wonder if I can carry two of these on my hip 🤔, one for friends and the other one for business, like an OG dopeman carrying multiple phones 🤣 ?

light phone GIF by ailadi

45 minutes ago, Elmo said:

-snip-

I was thinking if this will provide logs for staff to see as well like with the note mod? Because some people have written some crazy shit in the past with the note mod 😂. I'm guessing if this mod was to get approved and it doesn't provide logs then if anyone that finds a pda with some dumb shit they could just screenshot it and send it to staff.

But as stated I wouldn't mind seeing something like this on the server 😃 .

• MVP
4 minutes ago, AlwaysGamer said:

I really like the idea of being able to have private communications with people on the server in an IC way. 

But I'm gonna have to be THAT guy... How would this system work 50 years in the future? Would it be like the radios and use the radio towers? 

I think so yeah, it's battery powered so you can just RP getting new batteries when you need it. Radiotowers should still work the same.

• Game Master
44 minutes ago, EddieLR said:

I was thinking if this will provide logs for staff to see as well like with the note mod? Because some people have written some crazy shit in the past with the note mod 😂. I'm guessing if this mod was to get approved and it doesn't provide logs then if anyone that finds a pda with some dumb shit they could just screenshot it and send it to staff.

But as stated I wouldn't mind seeing something like this on the server 😃 .

PDA viewing is client side according to the mod so, as I interpret it, only the user(s) of the PDA could view their individual messages.

• Emerald
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elmo said:

PDA viewing is client side according to the mod so, as I interpret it, only the user(s) of the PDA could view their individual messages.

Might be client-side, but the messages would still have to be send, chances are rather big you could log the data being transmitted from one person to another.

Seeing as all communication between clients on Dayz use the server as a middle man, the server will see this at one point or another somewhere, however the data most likely is stored in a file on the client side to associate with the correct character.

Edited by RedSky

Hell yeah! A mod like this would be very useful for the reasons outlined above, but unless I am misreading it, it would also be useful for intelligence gathering. Say you suspect someone of being a snitch, you could read the messages on their PDA by force. However, I feel like it may have to come with a new rule so people use it or other ingame communication sources over just still using discord/ the forums.

• Titanium

Meant to vote yes. Used this mod on other servers and always had fun with it. 100% would love to see it in game.

• Diamond

Would love to see what interactions this mod could add to the server!

• MVP

why would everyone have a PDA? I don't think this makes sense in a serious post-apocalyptic roleplay setting at all

• Support

I voted NO as it doesn't fit well with the lore and the state of the world as it should be. There is no internet in the current DayZRP universe or if there is anything that must be a hodgepodge of half-arsed  networks barely hanging on. My impression is that the RP world we are in is returning to a more basic human existence and a PDA just does't seem to fit. In the last 50 years nobody manufactured anything in a mass scale and the maintenance of high end devices likely to become difficult if not impossible, having to salvage parts from broken units. Basic radios and such, yes, PDA? No.

• MVP
31 minutes ago, casBC said:

-snip-

This is DayZRP, there was once a time when people ran around with floaties on and it wasn't serious post- apocalyptic roleplay at all and yet we survived 👌. If people can keep vehicles, generators and other devices with electric components going then I don't see why this would be an issue.

We do have the ports with containers so someone could have come across a container with boxes that were tucked away... anything can be said to make it make sense IC. Plus we got people jamming out all day everyday in the apartments in the city lol and we just roll with it, so I don't see what's wrong with adding something IG to spice it up a bit. 

• MVP
2 minutes ago, EddieLR said:

This is DayZRP, there was once a time when people ran around with floaties on and it wasn't serious post- apocalyptic roleplay at all and yet we survived 👌. If people can keep vehicles, generators and other devices with electric components going then I don't see why this would be an issue.

We do have the ports with containers so someone could have come across a container with boxes that were tucked away... anything can be said to make it make sense IC. Plus we got people jamming out all day everyday in the apartments in the city lol and we just roll with it, so I don't see what's wrong with adding something IG to spice it up a bit. 

You're talking about arguably the lowest point in the server's history in regards to quality roleplay. That shit should've never been in the server to begin with.

If the LM team wants to make some event where a shipping crate full of PDAs are randomly found on the dock and distributed amongst the population then I won't stop them, it just doesn't make any sense. 🙂 roleplay is what's supposed to "spice things up" not some random mod that doesn't make any sense to have in the server just so you can text message ingame lmao

• MVP
22 minutes ago, Isylon said:

I voted NO as it doesn't fit well with the lore and the state of the world as it should be. There is no internet in the current DayZRP universe or if there is anything that must be a hodgepodge of half-arsed  networks barely hanging on. My impression is that the RP world we are in is returning to a more basic human existence and a PDA just does't seem to fit. In the last 50 years nobody manufactured anything in a mass scale and the maintenance of high end devices likely to become difficult if not impossible, having to salvage parts from broken units. Basic radios and such, yes, PDA? No.

A PDA has nothing to do with internet, it runs off radio waves and batteries just like radios we have IC now.

• Support
30 minutes ago, Luca said:

A PDA has nothing to do with internet, it runs off radio waves and batteries just like radios we have IC now.

After a brief Google search I must say I ain't convinced. It says modern PDA's mostly use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connectivity. We all know Bluetooth is short range communication only.

I call radio expert @Basko for his POV on this topic.

• Game Master

Voted no. Does not fit the lore in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Isylon said:

After a brief Google search I must say I ain't convinced. It says modern PDA's mostly use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connectivity. We all know Bluetooth is short range communication only.

I call radio expert @Basko for his POV on this topic.

I was called in for radio advice:

The functionalities displayed on the steam page would not work with radio technology. With radio you either work with AM or FM (amplitude modulation or frequency modulation). Sending chat messages like desplayed on the steam page are not gonna work on that. You could however send over morse code messages with relative easy in a post-apocalyptic world. It is technically possible to send over data packages on the radio too, but that is a technology that would be next to impossible to have in the current world setting.

• Diamond

I voted yes I loved the PDA on other servers its nifty for Ic communications instead of discord messages and switching channels. +1

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

I like the mod, if everyone’s willing to suspend their disbelief enough for it to be tried on the server, then go for it.

or just say that it’s all voice channels the same way we say discord text based radio channels are all voice channels.  Something like that.  

Edited by kalyri