Server time (UTC): 2021-08-06 03:19

Dynamic Events - Contracts / Mutants
TODAY | 2021-08-06 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 15 hours, 40 minutes | Nyheim City

Server Pop (Revisited)

Luca

What is currently bugging you?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Emerald
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Luca said:

-snip-

As someone that has been incredibly active during Nyheim.

The major issue, is that even though the map can deal with sub 50 players, the storylines cannot, I run in to the same people every single day.

It's getting harder and harder to provide fresh and interesting storylines or even for them to exist, if it hadn't been for @Jackfishhis plikt character, I would have no goal for tonight other than a general guideline of fuck with PLIKT.

To keep the server moving we need a series of events, and interesting things happening.

Content is incredibly important and seeing as @Mishoand @Whitename left, it is becoming increasingly more apparent that we need serious amounts of mods to make up for the lack of in-house development.

There is only so much you can do with a set amount of players.

Add mods, find content creators to promote us.
And I cant believe that I am saying this, bring back Expansion base building, itll give people that care about bases something to do and hopefully that'll bring back a small amount of them.

Especially now that the traders are gone, it might actually lead to trade RP between settlements and atleast thatll keep a gameplay loop going/RP loop.

In any case, Good suggestion thread, lets hope the results are going to be followed.

Unlike some other suggestion threads.

Edited by RedSky
  • Emerald

Personally im not playing right now because i am burned out and mostly focusing on IRL, I do hop in every now and then and its not too bad but i think personally there should be more mods and more things that bring a 'shazam' factor to dayzrp such as more server exclusives, custom content, more interesting mods etc

However lets be honest, nothing will change, never does and never will 🙂

• Diamond

As is evident in the last few days, the server comes alive, when trouble is brewing, most notably between the PLIKT and various other groups of people that don't like their iron fist. It's when things go bonkers, that the server seems to just fill up. And then as soon as it's all over, it flops again. So there is some merit in considering adding more Lore groups into the mix. You have a sort of semi "good/bad" authoritarian group that is the PLIKT. Now they don't necessarily need an adversary because they have plenty of them, represented by the other official groups on DayZRP and even those that are dynamic.

But what potentially could be a good idea is a third party, perhaps a small group of anarchists, dead set on seeing all of humanity dead. Or, you can swing it the other way, a group that is attempting to create another city, rivalling the PLIKT, offering more security and better terms of living. Which could lead to interesting storylines between PLIKT and that faction in it of itself.  Could actually have the developers work on the map a bit and expand one of little towns on the outskirts of the map, make them bigger and wall them off, for this purpose for example. This would also spread the people around the map a bit more. Which might give people more interest in being online more, since they'd have to travel around a bit more to run into people. 

What @RedSky mentioned might be correct. People adore their base building and creating something, now I get loot hording is an issue, but if the loot is slowly getting reduced in quantity then that might hamper the amount of crap one can store. Not to mention they will still have to deal with people that want their goodies on the daily.  And if it brings people onto the server, then by all means, let's do it.

I think another interesting idea for the PLIKT might be to man the prison, and imprison people. Make use of that piece of landscape, cause right now it's basically not much more than sniper hill and a loot stop. 

I think we as the community could also achieve a similar ordeal, if we could get more groups to actually rival one another, because right now, all the big groups are sort of allied or on friendly terms with one another. Which means not a lot of things happen in terms of drama, conflict and other such storylines. And it mainly boils down to campfire RP, and random run ins, that often turn into hold ups or just don't offer much in terms of an experience.  So from the community side, perhaps that's something we might want to think about. 

Kind Regards

TyanX

• Diamond

Personally I'd like to see the map size extended and more lore events take place other than just PLIKT running around. I appreciate what PLIKT is doing, but it's rather boring when the only time PLIKT is able to get on and run events is when Jackfish or enough people with tools are present, the fact that PLIKT does an event and then logs off afterward also really doesn't let you have time to interact with their characters outside these events, and during them you're not likely to get to know their characters on a deeper level anyways. If basic members of PLIKT were allowed to run events and/or run around outside the normal scheduled events then it would also feel more realistic and allow people to create storylines with these individuals as well. That being said we shouldn't be relying on only PLIKT to run lore events either, I understand that all staff positions are volunteer and people are busy, but with the launch of this map in my opinion there should have already been events planned with varying stages to help progress stories happening on the server along with realistic repercussions of what happens to the map based on the outcome. 

The map size being as limited as it is has the downside effect of making it feel like you're never really ever traveling anywhere unless you go outside into the forest, and even then that feels limited with not enough POIs. Extending the map and adding a few small run down towns so people can spread out a bit more would still allow people to come across RP without having to run realistically an hour or more to find RP, and it would still give the illusion that the map is larger than what it currently is. Just really anything additional at this point for POIs would be a welcome change.

• Lore Master
Posted (edited)

I'm very happy a thread like this was created since I think it's needed!

The server pop is bad right now, no matter what people say. Yes, we have been in very bad places before, but this time it happened way faster. We got a brand new map and people already stopped playing after a couple weeks. That is very bad.

The problems imo:

Map: The map is amazing, but just like @RedSkysaid, it's too small to have alot of storylines on. This is no jab at @Kerkkohsince I personally love the map, but I wish there was a functional underground system and ways to run across all the rooftops, purely to make the whole city feel alive instead of only the streets. Other then that, I wish there was another big city somewhere else on the map with it's own army and rules.

Content: DayZRP is lacking original content. Our devs are not getting payed so they have no reason to work on big projects + that doesn't invite new devs to start working on stuff. We basically have no original house made mods which is a shame. I know for a fact that there is alot of idea's out there but its simply impossible to make it happen without devs.

Idea's getting shut down: I have seen a shit ton of good idea's on the forums but most of them are getting shut down and thrown in the bin. This is also the thing with mods, we used to have alot of cool mods but most of them got removed and never readded again.

I know that the majority of the staff team wants to see change and have been brainstorming alot behind the scenes, coming up with alot of idea's to change things up, but like @Stagsviewsaid in Discord: "We are meeting complications".

More events would be cool and bigger events would be possible if more volunteers would actually respond to @everyone in the PLIKT discord 😛 

Edited by Jackfish
  • MVP

I will hop back on if something changes in terms of mods and groups running around. As of right now I have little to no motivation of hopping IG because I have just spent quite a lot of time bug testing and thinking of how to make Nyheim different to then receive absolutely nothing for the time spent, not allowed to have my name next to a group thread and having the whole LM team completely ignored when it comes to player names and how they fit the lore. We already play a pretty shit game and when people make it even less fun then there really isn't any reason why I just wouldn't play any other games, especially when I can rage at my absolutely shit skills at Tarkov.

I have and will continue to hop IG when the @ firefight happens as it means I can just get straight into some action and either do some hostage RP or PVP a bit without having to spend hours to set it up.

6 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

Our devs are not getting payed so they have no reason to work on big projects.

If only there would be a way to receive like, I don't know, 500 bucks and use it to pay the devs for some great content. Unfortunately we don't have access to such funds.

• MVP

interesting thread.

I think you missed the option " Covid slightly simmers down (in some areas) & it is summer - I am going out with friends and spend time different"
The map is fucking dope and I appreciate the work @Kerkkoh put into it. Map size is also fine - We just need to find someting to break this ONE HUB - MAP - VIBE. I agree with @RedSky, just the same people in the same area. I wish the focus wasn't only in the city but then again everyone to role play with hangs in the city - it is a circle of death.

Also a lot of my guys got somewhat frustrated and dont play anymore which ofc has impact on the times I hop on.

One of the nice things about a larger map with more areas to explore was being able to have something to do when the pop is low. A person like me with a fucked sleep schedule could log on to Chernarus at 5 in the morning and go looting at the airfield/tisy and other locations and still have fun with some nice music in the background. With that being said, the pop even at times when I would normally be awake is laughable right now and there isn't much to do on the map other than actual RP. So if the playerbase is not there then why even play on Nyheim? 

So in short I am a firm believer in options 1 and 6

😄

• Developer

change to chernabus

fixes all

• Legend
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Kerkkoh said:

change to chernabus

fixes all

True.

Also changing to a Stalker type server might be fun. Or adding redzones altho with the current map it might be hard to choose a good redzone.

Edited by JimRP
  • Titanium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JimRP said:

Also changing to a Stalker type server might be fun

Although I like Stalker there are also a couple other servers doing it to perfection as is. Id say stray away from what other servers and do something on our own.

Ive been hopping in game but what i see right now, there is a massive lack of groups and interesting things happening. I feel as though everything is just peachy in game and I hope to see a new group or something that comes along and spices things up. Don't get me wrong, the current groups we have are fine and are working well but I do feel we are missing some sort of opposition group thats not PLIKT.

I personally wouldnt mind trying out livonia again but thats just me

Edited by Mason
  • Emerald
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mason said:

I'm 100% on board with this. Livonia days were the best time I've ever had on the server. BRING IT BACK ILL DROP MONEY FOR IT @Roland

Edited by ImKrullix
  • Administrator
15 minutes ago, ImKrullix said:

-snip- 

Putting the community behind the paywall of a DLC map is a very bad idea, no offence. I understand that people had good memories on Livonia but its just fully off the table right now, because we only have the players to support one map.

• Titanium
2 minutes ago, Duplessis said:

Putting the community behind the paywall of a DLC map is a very bad idea, no offence. I understand that people had good memories on Livonia but its just fully off the table right now, because we only have the players to support one map.

I will buy everybody Livonia who doesn't already have it.

There are a lot of things stopping people from getting on and putting our finger on it is hard. What is evident is that something does need changed. We saw that a big change like a map change wasn't big enough or atleast didn't get people to stay for long. What I do know is that a change like that did bring a lot of people initially. People want to play DayZRP but they want something that is gonna hold them here to play everyday. The Community is not dead it just lacks motivation.

I think maybe the map isnt as popular as we thought it was gonna be. Every time (While ive been around) DayZRP has done something different, its almost always been popular until something happened.

Example: When we started this new lore (Before the time jump) There was a lot of drama with the lore factions to the point one of them shutdown... Thus set off a chain of events to which the server died down a lot.

This new map: Lack of lore events and the Character name debacle that happened I think really killed a lot of spirit to play.

I think we need mindsets to be open to new things not shutting them down. That starts at a higher level with staff.

Just my opinion of course.

• Community Manager
30 minutes ago, ImKrullix said:

I'm 100% on board with this. Livonia days were the best time I've ever had on the server. BRING IT BACK ILL DROP MONEY FOR IT @Roland

37 minutes ago, Mason said:

Although I like Stalker there are also a couple other servers doing it to perfection as is. Id say stray away from what other servers and do something on our own.

Ive been hopping in game but what i see right now, there is a massive lack of groups and interesting things happening. I feel as though everything is just peachy in game and I hope to see a new group or something that comes along and spices things up. Don't get me wrong, the current groups we have are fine and are working well but I do feel we are missing some sort of opposition group thats not PLIKT.

Just going to point this out right here and now. Changing maps is not an option we are even going to think about or consider.

Nyheim is our map, and it's here to stay.

Just my small input into this.

As many may or may not know, I'm divorced, which means when I get my kids to stay over, they 100% have all of my time. This can really effect my time in game as when I have my kids, I have little to no time to hop on, which is a bummer as on the new map I have had much more involved story lines, which sucks for others involved. Add in the fact that after 18 months of no Warhammer 40k being available to play due to covid, but is now back on, you can bet your arse I'm jumping right back in, even further lowering my time.

Now, all this is a drop in the ocean compared to what I *personally* see as an issue that doesn't bring people back - mods. The server is as close to vanilla as it gets, without anything that gives a pizzazz to it. Yes, the new map is awesome and the mods we have aren't hilariously unbalanced or unfitting, but sometimes things have to give. Many people have suggested Mass' many items mod dozens of times, and Much Stuff. Yes, a lot of it is shit and/or imbalanced to fuck. Do we need it? Yes. It adds a lot of stuff and the most broken/stupid stuff can be stopped from spawning anyway. We also need a much quicker uptake on mods. I suggested the "advanced weapon scopes" mod back in early December, but we didn't get it on the server until a month or so ago, even after getting a seal of approval from Misho on it's well made state. It almost feels like people suggest mods, and instead of trying it out (unless it is a superficial mod or unable to be used for external issues) it is essentially just forgotten about or not even looked at again, and so we continue to stumble on with the same old same old. I mean, the new trader was a much better system lore wise, but it was fucked less than a week into the new lore and is now removed. The server needs a trader of some kind (that is not player based) to give something to do or aim for for solo players or just something to do if the pop is low.

Lastly, some decisions were made that really left a sour taste in peoples mouth. First was the utter shambles that was the "realistic names plz" that was stubbornly held onto by the tiny minority over the wishes of everyone else, and the fact is mattered precisely zero to anyone. Yes, obvious troll names and whatnot should be stopped, but the heavy handed ness of it, especially nearly two weeks into the lore really was stupid. A lot of agitation was caused for precisely zero gain, and it effect server numbers. Second, was the silly idea to keep in expansion base building but removing the easiest found counters to it. Expansion base building was balanced around the ability to use grenades, RPG/LAW rockets and satchel charges - with the most commonly found ones being removed from the loot table leaving the rare one left. Add in the fact that expansion walls got buffed so even satchel charges can no longer one shot an expansion door led to absolutely fucking cancerous buildings all over the map that required fucking godly amounts of ammo and teamwork to breech. It should have been disabled from the get go.

/rant

• Diamond
46 minutes ago, Hofer said:

Just going to point this out right here and now. Changing maps is not an option we are even going to think about or consider.

Nyheim is our map, and it's here to stay.

70c499a670a6556a2363e11ef32b82cc.gif
The community will die with this decision.

• Community Manager
16 minutes ago, Squillium said:

70c499a670a6556a2363e11ef32b82cc.gif
The community will die with this decision.

Are you basing that on your whopping 4 hours on the map?

I want changes for the community. Major changes. The map is not what I want changed. The majority of people I've spoken to likes the map and doesn't think that is the problem.

• Titanium
8 minutes ago, Hofer said:

I want changes for the community. Major changes. The map is not what I want changed. The majority of people I've spoken to likes the map and doesn't think that is the problem.

We've had our... differences on the forum. 

But I agree with you here. Nyheim isn't the problem. Well, not 100% at fault. It has a lot of potential that can and will be used in the future to make it better. Since it is DayZRP's map, we can make it whatever we want! 

Changes needs to be made elsewhere. But changing back to another map will only bump up the population for a short period of time and that's it. If we ride this out and make the appropriate changes to Nyheim, it can become the best thing for this server since it's exclusive to us! 

• Game Master

The community is unfriendly to newcomers and we don't have interesting enough gameplay loops beyond wander and fight to keep people on the server for more than a week. As a result, the player count is reduced to regulars from whom I know what to expect, therefore I lose interest and stop playing.

• Diamond

I've pretty much lost any interest in playing at this point.  Between work stressing me the fuck out, and irritation at arguments had over inane things--i.e. the name thing, on top of my lack of motivation to do literally anything, I just don't have the interest to play dayzrp.  I love the map, I love that people are having these cool storylines.  But I'm just tired of small talk.  I'm already not a very talkative person, and just listening to the same "hi how are you" every time I log in, I get bored of it.  And if I had the energy, I'd do something about it... but I just don't, it doesn't feel worth it right now.

We also really need to actually listen to the newcomers--they're the ones that are gonna bring in new people, people we don't know and can interact with differently from the people we run into everyday.

I'd enjoy new mods, a lot of them.  I've been on a few other servers that have 15 or more mods, and are still adding more as time goes on.  Really the only draw to this server above others is that my friends are whitelisted here and occasionally play here.  But even that's slowly going away because people are leaving for other games and other servers to fulfill their urge to roleplay and enjoy themselves.

• Legend
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Hofer said:

You must be talking to people who still play the server, because literally everyone else I've talked to do not like the map. Like I appreciate all of Kerkkoh's work and he worked hard but sometimes things just don't work out.

Edited by JimRP
  • Titanium

Will confirm- I absolutely love this map and think it has great potential. My only critique would be a few extra smaller towns outside of the city, but it’s plenty large enough, and the density of the town is amazing. While there are a lot of changes I would like to see implemented, changing the map is definitely not one of them. I want to be a part of the solution to the server pop and help breathe life into it.