Server time (UTC): 2021-08-04 21:30

Dynamic Events - PLIKT / Contracts
ONGOING | 2021-08-04 21:30:00 (server time) | Ends in 59 minutes | Nyheim City

Plikt is suppost to be and should be played how?

Posted (edited)

So currently we have our Lore event group Plikt. Please let us know underneath

First: what do you understand Plikt is suppost to be like?

Second: how you want Plikt to display that in game, like how should Plikt be in game?

Third: Things I want to see in the future that Plikt could do for the server.

First: Plikt is suppost to be:

A group of apocalyptic militia/military as much as it can be in this environment. To my understanding they are suppost to be a force and show the population that the east of Nyheim belongs to Plikt within their walls the rules they wish to enforce go. They treat people the way they want, they big dick as much as they like and show they can control and have power over you, when they feel like it. They want you to dance for them for entertainment?, you better do so...

Plikt is said to not allow drugs and automatic weapons within their walls to be carried and is meant to take those from civilians that bring them inside.

Now ^ this is what Plikt is supposed to be right? 

Second: How should Plikt be in game?:

Plikt in game should talk to civilians as rude as they like and should people not take them serious be insulting should they choose to be. I would see them make fun of civilians because they can type of deal even mistreat their own lower ranks and be harsh but still Plikt would be trained to follow orders and not doing so can have terrible consequences down to death. When talking with Plikt to survive civilians should have to fear and choose their words around them wisely. It is Plikt home and they make the rules and if Plikt decides they have told you 10 times something and you have just been to deaf to hear it. You would be scared to talk back and claim differently, even if you have not heard them say it 1 time.  

However those that interacted with Plikt multiple times and are behaving and don't carry contraband into Plikt area like rifles they should not or drugs... then those civilians should start getting better treatment of course. But should never be too comfortable or get the idea that they can just mouth of and say whatever they like in whatever tone to any Plikt member....  

Third: Here tell us what you want Plikt to be like in the future things Plikt is not currently or Plikt should work towards that you think would be fun. Or just any suggestion you have for Plikt. 

Edited by GreenySmiley
  • Diamond

IMO. 

PLIKT is suppose to be plain and simple the bad guys. The iron fist authoritarians. It says it in the Maps lore, they are weary and distrustful of outsiders. Meaning anyone who isn’t already on the list of Nyhiem residents is already on thin ice. They don’t need to be assholes right away, asking people to line up on a wall sternly but politely for example. However, if the person who was just asked to do something gets it twisted and talks back, then PLIKT should explode back. Insulting and showing there strength. Attempting to squash any bad mouthing immediately, as it’s disrespectful to PLIKT. 

• Support
Posted (edited)

Plikt is supposed to be:

The military branch of government that represents the rights and interest of the rich 1% that USED TO RULE the city and surrounding region until the Frenzy Flu outbreaks of 2070 and 2071. Now they are the remnants of that branch of government, desperatly clinging on to the old system they founded and held high. 

How should Plikt be in game?:

Regarding the above, I'd like to see them act in desperation to re-establish the old order of things, with them undenyably in charge. They won't be taking any chances with any troublemakers and dissidents, as recent event proved that the people will turn on them at the slightest sign of weakness. They should try to infiltrate the rebellious groups to try to combat them more effectively from the inside. And they should try to gather a base of civilians that fully support them, maybe by granting them special priviledges?

Edited by DrBrain
  • Emerald

Overly authoritarian government force that causes people to either fear and fall in line or fear and avoid them at all costs. With recent events in-game I feel like PLIKT should be doing waht @DrBrainsaid above, be desperate to show that they are indeed the governing force of the city.

I know before this was a bit difficult because people were just fishing for an initiation so they could get a quick firefight and some frags in, but I feel like people have finally gotten away from the new map hype and will try and play to the lore now. I would love to see them doing random searches of civilians, and this of course would not grant Defender Rights for that persons friends. Honestly, if it did people will just act in a way that ruins the current RP events with the random searches and detaining of individuals who are causing problems.

Me and @Deathwingwere going around as mock cops planting drugs on people we were detaining to add in some RP and people were playing along quite well with slight protests towards out actions claiming brutality. I'm ready to get harassed in the city again like before, I honestly want to be targeted by PLIKT for being an asshole.

• Diamond

Plikt is supposed to be: 
A policing force that also serves as the militia for the city within the walls. They are supposed to follow orders and take away contraband from civilians of the city. They are supposed to keep track of citizens by handing out IDs. PLIKT is also supposed to be a governing force as well to implement laws and enforce them on the people of the city.

How should PLIKT be in game: 
Well I feel like PLIKT should be exactly like a policing force. Doing more random stops, questioning, and searches of civilians. I thought that were be actually be a governing side of PLIKT but I have not seen anything related to that. I feel like that PLIKT should be pretty friendly to citizens but once they get into a firefight or someone mouths off they should drop the good cop routine. Once the good cop routine is dropped they should just be absolute assholes to citizens around them.

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

Plikt is supposed to be: 

A heroic/good guy group.

How should PLIKT be in game:

Heroes. Protecting and helping people.

There is always enough bad guys without the only Lore group being bad.

Edited by Craig
  • MVP

Plain and simple I just feel like plikt should've been an official group from the get go instead of a group of volunteers on alt characters from different groups.

• MVP
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Luca said:

Plain and simple I just feel like plikt should've been an official group from the get go instead of a group of volunteers on alt characters from different groups.

I agree with this.

I understand wanting it to be staff led in order to progress lore but the group needs to be active and cant be with just volunteers and only being allowed online when staff feels like being online. Sometimes staff is too busy to be able to come online (I appreciate all the time and work staff does!) but the regular players and non-staff need to be involved too or else things get stale and dont progress like intended.

Also to follow the above mentioned template:

PLIKT is suppose to progress lore and give the server a common enemy or gain the trust of the Nyheim community and prove to be it's protectors. It can go either way depending on the RP.

Second: how you want Plikt to display that in game, like how should Plikt be in game?
They should be active first of all and should be patrolling and enforcing the laws and rules of Nyheim and trying to protect the city from further infection and destruction.

I can understand there be a sort of split amongst PLIKT (Those who want to help the city and care for the citizens vs those who want complete control) and I would like to see more of this internal struggle amongst the group and letting Nyheim and other non-PLIKT citizens be more involved, IE Searches, confiscating automatic weapons, drugs, forcing people to work/go to jail for breaking laws, testing people frequently for infection symptoms (and able to lie about them to get people they dont like quarantined, etc).

Edited by Keira
  • Emerald

I have not met PLIKT yet. But I have HEARD them 🙂

Yesterday, after an unfortunate encounter with wolves I figured I'd venture into the city. Sorting through the hospital I suddenly heard gunshots and shouting and I decided "Nope" and promptly snuck out the back and back into the woods.

Now, what I expect of PLIKT from reading lore and checking interactions.

IC:
A paramilitary militia who uphold the law (whatever law that may be) in Nyheim.
In keeping with the tone of the game I expect them to be be cautious of outsiders, perhaps crude but not openly hostile.

OOC:
I expect, as a admin run group to have the best interest of the server in mind, to promote roleplay and facilitate roleplay where possible.

If people are afraid of PLIKT to the point of no longer wanting to interact with them, I think it is not doing so good. As a GM I'd think about running a PR stunt from PLIKT perspective, hand out food, send out a search party for a lost person, even perhaps go as far as to publically execute a criminal who vehemently wronged someone? Make it a spectacle, make it a show.

The fact that they uphold the law doesn't mean the law has to be just by the way. Lawful Evil is also a thing 🙂

It is hard to play faction like that in a game as conflict driven as DayZ. It is hard to keep a level head during confrontations without getting burned out on the constant agression and level of GRRR coming towards you, both OOC and IC. So hats off in that regard.

P.S.
If you ever need a volunteer who is not PLIKT but for PLIKT based interactions, hit me up.

• Diamond

This is the latest, worst, and hopefully last, attempt at a lore faction. It’s cringey buts it’s the definition of insanity at this point. The effort is commendable, but trying to spice up the server with these factions seems like trying to go to sleep at night, the more you try the harder it is.

Posted (edited)

The concept of the faction like this is fine, but it should never have been staff only. If you want staff in charge in order to control the overall arc of the group, that is fine, but the membership should have been open, so there was more presence from PLIKT in the city at all times.

First: what do you understand Plikt is supposed to be like?

I see PLIKT as a group attempting to bring back some semblance of order and safety to the wasteland. Like all fascist states (which is how I read PLIKT based on the lore), it does so through strong control and a military first approach. While corruption festers, I do not believe PLIKT should ever act as if they didn't think of themselves as the "good guys."

1) For a lore group like this to work, it needs to have much more presence. Running into a patrol should be a constant worry for folks breaking laws in the eastern side of town especially, but even folks out in the woods should be on the lookout for motorized patrols checking up on the various PLIKT flag bearing outposts around the map. In other words, PLIKT should be an ever present worry. No matter how few people are on the server, or what time of day it is, there should be some expectation that a PLIKT member is around. PLIKT's existence should not be an "event." It should be a certainty.

2) As an organization, PLIKT should never be openly antagonistic to the populace of Nyheim. I'm not saying that there should not be corrupt members, or sadistic soldiers, but the organization should do what it does as if it thought it was always helping. Frame laws as for the best for everyone, etc.

As said above, I would like to see PLIKT go on patrols outside of just the eastern edge of town. Technically, the entire map (and beyond) is under their control, and they should act like it.

I would also like a safe zone set up in PLIKT town, with officers checking for contraband.

Edited by comm_ash
Clarification
  • Diamond
Posted (edited)

Before I reply, I want to say thanks first. The thread (among other select statements by some elsewhere) indicates that staff, or that staff responsible for PLIKT to be precise (if not collectively), seems to take the recent feedback threads into account at least. Not sure what may come out of it in the end based on feedback, but asking alone is a reaction I find suitable.

I'll reply to all things at once. I already posted feedback in various threads regarding the matter, including my own (shameless plug). 

Reading the lore, I roughly envision PLIKT as your 'average post-apocalyptic authoritarian order faction''. The lore implies this heavily as well, even if between the lines, a shift in mindset may be happening IC. But looking at the map too, its heavy propaganda and people hanged here and there, it's easy to guess what kind of government PLIKT is running.

I myself come from a year long HL2RP background with custom elements. No, I don't expect a carbon copy of HL2 here. But I think another fictional setting would be very comparable: Colony (TV show).

colony__tv_series___poster__by_thephoenixprod_d9px0t7-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTUzNCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2FhMDg5MGExLWY2MjktNGMyNi1iNDRhLTE4NjBmYTBkMGVhYlwvZDlweDB0Ny1hNGVmNTMyOS1jYmNmLTRhM2EtODc1OS00ZWQ5N2ZiNzlmMzYuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEwMjQifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.UgJw1ubyIXy8d8OKF6uESUtfBNx4lQwqbIu9zSoC06g

I'll spare you a lore essay bout it (look it up otherwise) it's basically a post-invasion setting where alien occupants have, akin to HL2, beat mankind in a very unfair battle before taking over and herding them into "blocs", akin to Cities in HL2. The exception would be that while there is a strong authoritarian leadership, they're more "humane" than the Universal Union is in HL2. And I feel PLIKT (etc) is a perfect mirror of the so-called "Red Hats" in the show. Harsh, but not overly harsh as long as you play along.

So that's how I imagine PLIKT. It's how I understand it and roughly wish it to be. Again not as carbon copy but as "loose role model" at least. The more I was surprised after playing a hand full of times as PLIKT and also seeing the city as non-PLIKT character. I saw three core issues:

1) Staff only faction with set deployment rules

PLIKT being a staff only faction the way it is designed is likely a possible mistake. While deployments were increased now, I wonder if it's sufficient. I felt like last lore iteration, lore groups weren't consequential enough, this time I feel they're too consequential or restricted. Let's try a compromise. We absolutely need lore factions for this type of setting, be it PLIKT or the rebels or a third antagonistic faction to be introducted later. We just need to restructure the structure and approach - they should then also get bonuses, like being able to spawn in their uniform pieces at least. Or make a sub unit responsible for outer borders that players can normally fill up, if you don't want to touch current PLIKT. They should get spawnable uniform pieces at the very least as well, like last lore iteration's lore factions

2) Time coverage / presence

This factors into 1). The issue is time coverage or presence PLIKT even deploying once in a day would be good statistics, but maybe not enough. I feel PLIKT should be a group that is active 24/7, not at specific times. Make them like last lore groups and you likely see more interest by both members and others who get to interact with them more. Without a more constant presence of any sort of PLIKT government forces (please introduce new units or a civilian branch as well for administrative RP?) the city turns into a neglected or dead hub throughout the day until maybe PLIKT deploys in the classical way

3) "Mingey" (trolly) behavior by others - and PLIKT sometimes being "too nice" in return

Honestly, some shit I saw would've gotten people banned on my HL2 RP community. Whether I saw it by myself or in video clips. Changing PLIKT is one thing but in order for the city hub to succeed or be immersive, how other people behave is almost 50% of the other side of the coin in terms of contribution. Random stuff like "lololol you have no magazine in your gun" when referring to visual glitches (without the 'lololol' but you get the picture) or making random ass protests while making animal noises on a megaphone while you are facing PLIKT forces 50 meters down the road is fucking stupid, I'll just label it as it is. Because the way the lore implies, you'd likely never see the light of day again once captured for causing this ruckus. Yes, even X decades into the future. We can assume, despite how rough and hardened some people may be, that PLIKT has at least a somewhat strong iron grip on its inner city area so you wouldn't fuck about like that unless you had a death wish.

I also felt that at least initially (I couldn't join deployments for a while, no clue if it's still the case) that PLIKT online were too nice or inconsequential against such near-trolling. I recall a random street protest including the guy making stupid animal noises where PLIKT asked them like 20-30 times to disperse. Rules are one thing and trying to avoid some initiation or gunfight, I get. But at some point it turns silly on both sides or ends. I didn't feel like a "Red Hat" in Colony or "Metrocop" in HL" - I felt like an overly stressed UN peacekeeper in a conflict zone or better yet, some BOPE cop in Brasil's favelas - not in the "capital" of an order / authoritarian faction

4) A fourth optional point even if people will throw stones at me - change the laws

It seems to make little sense and feel more like an OOC motivated rule to crack down hard on automatics or certain drugs but let people run around with combat helmets and military grade armor. We can assume many (most?) people in the city would actually live there, not roam all the time. Why need heavy protective gear if security is managed by PLIKT? Crack down on some of these items and have loyal or trustworthy people get permits. This would literally boost a "loyalist faction" of sorts and generate more RP as well. Don't want to part with your precious protective gear and not get loyal either? Then live in the outlands. Boosting the city like that can indirectly boost "outlands RP" as well by forming alternative societies that don't want to live in the city under that rule

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel if we restructure PLIKT from the ground up or at least notable tweak it, add some other branches and then ensure a near 24/7 coverage of presence during most key hours (EU and NA time zone), we add new life into the server or the city hub at least. I also feel trying to loosely mirror the "Red Hats" or the general government from "Colony" would be fitting - not too nice, not too harsh while of course traversing our custom lore. Being harsher would also crack down on those stirring trouble for the sake of it or in some possibly unrealistic fashion. If you get tazed and end up in an actual prison to do manual labor for hours or longer, maybe you think twice about that. Or you just get straight up executed. Your fault, buddy.

The key point however is increasing coverage or presence at least. In my HL2 community, it would never have worked to only deploy with the CCA (Combine) faction once a day in that dense city hub. You had to get whitelisted in the faction, get to join a squad / specialisation and then you could play any time you wanted.

Would these ideas fix everything? Of course not. Would they be flawless? Of course not. You can't have it all, sometimes other issues could arise but they can be ironed out. I feel heading that direction would at least fix some issues for a while, and then we could always adjust things. At least it likely won't get worse as we try to revitalize the hub and make it more fun or immersive even.

Edited by Combine
Some edits